• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Similar Personality Traits between Pokemon and their Trainers

domesticshorthair

Reaction score
Prof Oak said that Pokemon and their trainers have similar personalities, not sure which ep, though. So...anyone spotted any?

Ash, Bulbasaur, and Pikachu are pretty stuborn, that's for sure. And determined.

Surge and his Raichu were both...can't really describe it, but they did have a lot in common, it seemed to me, in Electric Shock Showdown.

Misty and Psyduck, pretty good at hiding their feelings, try to pretend. I mean, come on, it's just OBVIOUS that Psyduck is her most favorite Pokemon, and she likes Ash. That's probably why Psyduck pretends to act dumb.:DOr maybe he really is a bit dumb.

I thought Surge and his Raichu had a lot in common, also. It even mimicked his movements, if I remember correctly.

I don't know, though. There are some trainers who have nothing in common with their pokemon. Tracey and Scyther couldn't be less alike, in my opinion.

Misty has a Gyarados now, doesn't she?

Paul and Electabuzz seem to have good synergy, since they both have moments of being distant and heartless, I suppose.

I think Professor Oak was saying that trainers' personalites have an effect on their pokémon, giving them a slight 'harmonious' effect. Really, I don't think a pokémon would have their personality match up with their trainer exactly to a "T".

Anyone remember that COD, Sho? He and his Raichu, and even his Pichu, were a lot alike: Jerks. They were all jerks.

I'd say Shinji and Erebu have a few things in common to some degree, but not everything when it comes to how they act around their rivals.

Ash and Pikachu, duh.

Gary and Umbreon, since they're both very mature

May and Bulbasaur too. Both feminine...

Paul and all of his Pokemon seem alike, exept Chimchar when he had it.

Early on, Dawn and Piplup.

Its kind of hard to talk about the groups Pokemon when most of them in previous seasons have no personality. What the hell was Corsola's and Crobat's personality? Or Goldeens? Or Onix? Did Tracey's Venonat have a personality?

Nope. Even a good chunk of Ash's older Pokemon had no personality to speak of, like Tauros or those Johto Pokemon that shall not be named. Then again, almost nothing in Johto had anything that resembled a personality except for Chikorita.

Maybe the Pokémon will be in common with its trainer through time. They should be influenced by one another. Piplup is very in common with Dawn, IAMO. They are just overconfident and pretend to be good. (No need to worry/no problem in Japanese, Piplup tried to stop Pilo/Mamoswine but fail all the time)

But in the other hand, Buizel has no similarity with Dawn. They even are opposite.

I think most of Ash's pokémon share similar personality with Ash. Heracross, Swellow, Bayleef(sometimes) and Pidgeot are like very persistant, Snorlax is determined (when there's food), Primeape is aggresive (like attack strategy) while Charizad, Sceptile, Corphish, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Pikachu etc. all seemed to have the same trait with Ash. Sometimes they can even fell each other's heart! They should all be influenced by Ash with the possible exception of Primeape. But definitely not with Torkoal and someone without personality.

Last edited:
Tracey and Scyther couldn't be less alike, in my opinion.

That's what makes their relationship so interesting, IMHO. They couldn't seem more different, yet Tracey clearly had an almost instinctive grasp of Scyther's feelings. When Scyther saw that is when he accepted Tracey as his trainer.

Brock and Croagunk seem much the same...surface personalities clashing (Brock's easygoing sociability vs Croagunk's enigmatic loner-with-its-own-drumbeat thing) but they have connection on a deeper emotional level that transcends the petty things.

Its kind of hard to talk about the groups Pokemon when most of them in previous seasons have no personality. What the hell was Corsola's and Crobat's personality? Or Goldeens? Or Onix? Did Tracey's Venonat have a personality?

Nope. Even a good chunk of Ash's older Pokemon had no personality to speak of, like Tauros or those Johto Pokemon that shall not be named. Then again, almost nothing in Johto had anything that resembled a personality except for Chikorita.

Actually, Johto's entire starter squad was given personality. Cyndaquil was a sleepy, baby-esk Pokemon that was wrapped up more in it's own little nature than anything like battling, originally. Totodile was a playful, happy-go-lucky, don't-miss-a-beat Pokemon that loved frivolity and playfulness. Chikorita you already mentioned.
------

Anyway, let's not forget Brock and Mudkip/Marshtomp. "A Chip Off The Ol' Brock" concedes that thought.

I don't think the pokemon and the trainer have similair personalitites at all. I think it goes much deeper than that. I think it's more of the connection a pokemon and its trainer make. It's more so that the pokemon becomes an extention of the trainer, so much so that they may sometimes exhibit some similairities with their trainer.

Granted, there are some pokemon and their trainers who are so alike they can be twins(paul/elekid, ash/pikachu) but generally it seem the pokemon become an extention of their trainer overtime and not right in the beginning(charizard/ash).

That's what makes their relationship so interesting, IMHO. They couldn't seem more different, yet Tracey clearly had an almost instinctive grasp of Scyther's feelings. When Scyther saw that is when he accepted Tracey as his trainer.

Oh, I agree with you! Tracey and Scyther is one of my favorite trainer/pokemon pairs, maybe because they're so opposite. I loved the episode where Tracey captured it (Tracey Gets Bugged. This is a minor rant so feel free to skip, but I can't stand when people misspell his name when it's clearly spelled T-r-a-c-e-y in the episode title.)

I'd say Sho's Raichu as they seemed a lot a like. He was the trainer with the Raichu and Pichu in "Pika and Goliath!" episode

May and Munchlax. They both love to eat. That does make you wonder why may is still as thin as what though. And Ash and Bulbasaur in the kanto saga, both as stubborn as I don't know what.

brock: sudowodo
misty: poliwirl and more or less when it evolved could say staryu
ash: bulbisar and pikachu
may: suirtle and bulbisar
dawn: piplup
tracy: syther

um less important characters
ritche: sparky
zoey: glameo
nando: chricentune
pual: eletabuzz, i think the rest of his poke have hearts like tottera
all gym leaders and there main poke i think..

well it hasnt been used much but it is her kind of signature pokemon if that makes sense

i dont like her either i swear she is a lesbo

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom