• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
They had a walking Osamu Tezuka reference in the Shinx line. Having a Go Nagai reference is kind of par for the course.

Sure it can't exactly look like Devilman. But considering the Shinx line was an amalgamation of a bunch of different characters...why can't Impidimp be one too?

Aside from Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba (Shinx), we have numerous Toho Kaiju references (Tyranitar, Hydreigon, the Nidos, Duraludon, Volcarona, and sigh Gigantamax Butterfree), a Yatterman reference (Purrloin and Liepard reference Doronjo, the leader of the Skull Gang), a Gradius reference (Vikavolt), several different Gamera references (Blastoise, Turtonator and Gigantamax Drednaw) and a super-blatant Tiger Mask reference (Incineroar). Hell, old school Devilman's already been referenced by Salamence's wings. Impidimp taking the Devilman reference further wouldn't surprise me.

Now where the hell is my Bug/Fighting-type Kamen Rider reference, Game Freak?

There's going to be at least one Bug-type, and with the first impressions from reviewers saying there's a lot more new Pokemon and regional variants than Kalos and Alola, there's probably gonna be a decent chunk that are Bug-types.

a Yatterman reference (Purrloin and Liepard reference Doronjo, the leader of the Skull Gang)
Wait, hold on, I'm not ultra familiar with Yatterman (mostly because I have not found a sub version from the classic series), but that's something I didn't notice. Also, wasn't the Skull Gang the team from the first Time Bokan? The Yatterman trio is the Dorombo gang.

Wait, hold on, I'm not ultra familiar with Yatterman (mostly because I have not found a sub version from the classic series), but that's something I didn't notice. Also, wasn't the Skull Gang the team from the first Time Bokan? The Yatterman trio is the Dorombo gang.
Ah, yeah, got confused lol

Aside from Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba (Shinx), we have numerous Toho Kaiju references (Tyranitar, Hydreigon, the Nidos, Duraludon, Volcarona, and sigh Gigantamax Butterfree), a Yatterman reference (Purrloin and Liepard reference Doronjo, the leader of the Skull Gang), a Gradius reference (Vikavolt), several different Gamera references (Blastoise, Turtonator and Gigantamax Drednaw) and a super-blatant Tiger Mask reference (Incineroar). Hell, old school Devilman's already been referenced by Salamence's wings. Impidimp taking the Devilman reference further wouldn't surprise me.

Now where the hell is my Bug/Fighting-type Kamen Rider reference, Game Freak?

You forgot that Golurk is half Gigantor. Considering the whole flying thing.

A lot of Pokemon are hidden references to other things.

Golurk is pretty Gigantor-ish, yeah. I took it as more of a reference to super robots in general; I associate it with The Iron Giant, personally, even though it's probably Gigantor

There's going to be at least one Bug-type, and with the first impressions from reviewers saying there's a lot more new Pokemon and regional variants than Kalos and Alola, there's probably gonna be a decent chunk that are Bug-types.

Where can I find these reviewers? I haven't been able to find any...

maybe thats why the secrecy because we will get bug/dark, bug/psychic, bug/ice, bug/dragon and probably a new bug/fire and bug/ghost pokemon, would be pretty cool.
Feeling a nother bug/fighting and bug/fairy could also be somewhere there too.

I think the secrecy is just about the new marketing style.

I mean, we basically saw the rodent Pokémon in shirts and stuff, and there seem to be quite a few new Pokémon in early routes, their typing unlikely to be any special combination. They’re choosing to not reveal them as a counter (maybe too extreme?) or what they did in Gen 7.

maybe thats why the secrecy because we will get bug/dark, bug/psychic, bug/ice, bug/dragon and probably a new bug/fire and bug/ghost pokemon, would be pretty cool.
Feeling a nother bug/fighting and bug/fairy could also be somewhere there too.
I’m going to severely doubt that they dedicate 6-8 evolution lines to Bug-types out of the limited amount of new Pokémon they introduce. There’s nothing that points to this being “probable”.

I’m going to severely doubt that they dedicate 6-8 evolution lines to Bug-types out of the limited amount of new Pokémon they introduce. There’s nothing that points to this being “probable”.
Gen 5 introduced 8 new Bug-type lines. 9 if you count Genesect. Supposedly we're getting a lot more Pokemon than in Gen 6 and 7 (counting Galarian forms+evolutions)

Gen 5 introduced 8 new Bug-type lines. 9 if you count Genesect. Supposedly we're getting a lot more Pokemon than in Gen 6 and 7 (counting Galarian forms+evolutions)
Gen 5 had a Dex entirely composed of new Pokémon and also didn’t have to create and animate a 3D model from scratch for every new Pokémon they introduced. Plus we’re getting G-Max and Galarian-Form Pokémon which also take time to model. Gen 8 might have a decently-sized Dex compared to 7 or 6 but I doubt it will have room for 8 lines of the same type.

Gen 5 had a Dex entirely composed of new Pokémon and also didn’t have to create and animate a 3D model from scratch for every new Pokémon they introduced. Plus we’re getting G-Max and Galarian-Form Pokémon which also take time to model. Gen 8 might have a decently-sized Dex compared to 7 or 6 but I doubt it will have room for 8 lines of the same type.
Not the same. Secondary typings...

makes a lot because it allows you to crate and more new pokemon, or you like pure mono type bashing?
Respectfully, I am having trouble understanding your grammar/syntax, but I’ll do my best to respond to what you’ve said at face value.

Secondary/Primary type makes no difference. Putting it as a secondary type doesn’t Mean they can/would make more Pokémon of that type.

I’m not sure how you got that I was “bashing pure mono type” Pokémon, but I wasn’t; not at all.

Respectfully, I am having trouble understanding your grammar/syntax, but I’ll do my best to respond to what you’ve said at face value.

Secondary/Primary type makes no difference. Putting it as a secondary type doesn’t Mean they can/would make more Pokémon of that type.

I’m not sure how you got that I was “bashing pure mono type” Pokémon, but I wasn’t; not at all.

You know the unused wolfman and warwolf pokemon design?
Imagine a first stage ice/normal and second stage ice/fighting pokemon with the Disquise ability.
Cooler then pure ice or not?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom