• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ships you dislike

Serena/Clemont, Geekchicshipping. This was something on tumblr during the XY era, a lot of Pokeshippers were shipping Serena with Clemont in XY to keep her away from Ash. I mean I just found it bizarre.

Nevermind the fact that Serena and Clemont barely even spoke to each other in XY, Serena/Clemont had almost as non-existent or forgettable interactions as Dawn and Brock did in DP, and Serena was infatuated with Ash in canon. I mean if you wanted to ship Serena with someone outside of Ash, you had Shauna or Millifeui, her rivals. But of course some people can't handle lesbian ships, so they shipped her with...Clemont.

The grand total of 2 or 3 times Serena and Clemont interacted in all 142 XY episodes was so memorable...right.

Yeah I never liked GeekChicshipping either. Like it just didn't make sense; Serena and Clemont practically weren't even friends at all, and let's be real, they were BOTH totally into Ash. And if you wanted to "keep Serena away from Ash", Boutiqueshipping was RIGHT THERE, hello. (Boutique is my favorite Serena ship ever don't @ me)

I mean, I don't think it's the WORST ship in the world or anything, I just don't really get it.

Yeah I never liked GeekChicshipping either. Like it just didn't make sense; Serena and Clemont practically weren't even friends at all, and let's be real, they were BOTH totally into Ash. And if you wanted to "keep Serena away from Ash", Boutiqueshipping was RIGHT THERE, hello. (Boutique is my favorite Serena ship ever don't @ me)

I mean, I don't think it's the WORST ship in the world or anything, I just don't really get it.

Yeah, Geekchicshipping was basically the XY version of Ikarishipping. I mean most of the supporters were Pokeshippers, just looking to pair off the main girl at the time with someone other than Ash. Dawn/Paul made zero sense back in the DP era as Paul ignored Dawn's existence 95% of the time, and Serena/Clemont felt like strangers together in XY. Yet for some reason both ships had a following just because of Pokeshippers, especially this time around on tumblr.

And as said, it's odd people ignore lesbian ships, as Dawn/Zoey actually had a thing going or Serena/Shauna or Serena/Millifeui had some interesting interactions for shippers. But no, let's ship the main girl with a guy they have zero chemistry or interactions with just, "to keep them away from Ash." I'm willing to bet if SM was a traditional saga with Lillie being the only female companion, the same thing would happen because some ship Ash/Lillie and people would be rushing to pair Lillie off with some unrelated guy too.

Lucy x Natsu

lol JK

One I never really liked is Satoshi x Kasumi. Not because of the ship itself, but about how overrated it is.

One I never really liked is Satoshi x Kasumi. Not because of the ship itself, but about how overrated it is.

Only problem I have with the ship is people used it as an excuse to pride themselves in quit watching the series, or use it to bash the other girls. Like that even matters at this point when it's now like 17 years since the original series ended.

But I don't mind it otherwise as a nostalgic thing. Nothing will happen for it now at this point in the show though, even if Misty gets future cameos.

I have mixed feelings on Amour

I wrote a fic partially about it and reached over 200k words before I deleted it for personal reasons. Obviously, I don't actually dislike it. I think it has potential, I just think the actual handling... kinda sucked. And no, I'm not just saying "wahh, they should've been canon!"

I feel like Serena's crush could've been much less surface level. Used more as a way of saying "what does this say about her?", then using that as fuel for character development.

Why is she so hung up on him? What was her life like for that memory of him to stand out so much? Should she be so reliant on his attention and approval? Should she do more to work on her jealousy? How much of her crush is from loneliness? How much of it is just putting Ash on a pedestal? What does she hope to get out of a relationship with Ash besides just his love? Are there other ways for her to get those things?

To get a little personal for a second, I can say that Serena is kind of relatable because my biggest crushes in the past tended to be a bit obsessive, and I would easily get jealous... and in turn, those feelings were worsened by how lonely and unsatisfied I was in other areas. It felt like I needed the other person to 'solve everything', when that wasn't true.

Ideally, I'd have liked for her not to get over the crush, but to eventually come to a healthier understanding of herself and her feelings for Ash.

The ending she got felt like a step in the right direction, but also kind of not, because she was still making it about Ash.... so yeah. Lots of mixed feelings there.

As for things I just outright dislike... I don't get Ikarishipping at all. Not every "opposites attract" scenario actually works. There has to be some underlying point where they're actually on the same page, beyond something like just "they're both into Pokemon". If "they're both into Pokemon" is all you need, then literally any two characters in the series could get together.

Rayshipping (Ash/Cynthia) is also something I don't understand at all.

I don't actually know what's going on in everyone else's heads, so I could easily be wrong here... But to me it basically comes off like people being attracted to Cynthia, so they project onto Ash. That just makes it like, one layer removed from a self insert/canon character ship, rather than actually acknowledging the characters as they really are.

Last edited:
All of Ash's shippings with a main girl, especially AmourShipping.

Though ContestShipping is the worst of all the major shippings for me.

I didn't like Penguinshipping and Hearttagshipping. Kenny/Kengo pretty much treated Hikari as an object that could be won and acted really possessive towards her even if she wasn't dating Satoshi. Kohei/Conway was also really creepy since he kept hitting on her even when she was uncomfortable with it.

Definitely It would be penguinshipping because. How can a girl like Dawn would love a person who places her as bet or a prize in a pokemon battle? Kenny should be so ashamed of himself.
Dawn has the purest soul cause she rejects Kenny's proposal with a letter without hurting his feelings. I hope Dawn never meets Kenny again.
Dawn deserves better ❤

I don't like Penguinshipping. Kenny treated Dawn badly, and he treated her as an object and prize in a Pokémon battle. I was very happy when Dawn rejected Kenny in episode 180 of DP.

I also don't like Amourshipping. I feel Serena's crush got in the way of her showcase goal. I think we should of had more showcase episodes, and less one-sided hints from Serena. And I feel Amourshipping seemed quite forced at times.

I don't like Penguinshipping. Kenny treated Dawn badly, and he treated her as an object and prize in a Pokémon battle. I was very happy when Dawn rejected Kenny in episode 180 of DP.

I also don't like Amourshipping. I feel Serena's crush got in the way of her showcase goal. I think we should of had more showcase episodes, and less one-sided hints from Serena. And I feel Amourshipping seemed quite forced at times.
I Agree with your penguinshipping comment. I truly hate Kenny. They should let Dawn freely without any shippings because she is basically a female Ash. Who only thinks about Pokémons first and piplup is a trusty partner for her journey. Dawn for life ❤️

In the games, any ship between the protag and the main villain. Legality aside, it'd be really hard for people with such an age difference to have a relationship where they can truly understand each other and be equals. N is the exception, though. I actually kinda like Ferriswheelshipping and Isshushipping... though many people who write it make N downright nasty for some reason. Even if they wouldn't be lovers, it'd make for a really interesting friend...ship.

I also stan Ash x Adventure and this thread makes me wanna ship Dawn x Contests.

I hate the following, hate them so much I don't know their actual names:
Any ship against Amourshipping
Any ship against Red x Yellow from the manga
these are my OTPs so I hate anything against them
I'm not sorry
There's nothing wrong with enjoying mutually exclusive ships, though. Sometimes more than one character would be a good fit for a certain character.

Any ship that goes against Reshiram x Zekrom since those two are meant to be together (literately!)

Any and all Ash ships in the romantic sense. He's ten, and quite possibly the least interesting protagonist in the entire franchise (at least, in my opinion).

Ash with May, Dawn and Iris. They never had any feelings for Ash beyond friends. They're baseless. At least Pokeshipping and Amourshipping has some support from Misty and Serena.

Back
Top Bottom