• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM146: Thank You, Alola! Respective Departures!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One word: worldbuilding. Having a trainer from Galar appear would've helped connect the Alola to the rest of the world and help integrate Galar into the anime's world, while also giving us a snippet of what Galarian are like and their views on Pokémon battles. Plus, it would help market Sword and Shield by showcasing some of the revealed Pokémon. Which, by your standards, it should be considered acceptable, right? After all, you yourself just said that "advertisement comes first". So, in actuality, it would've served a purpose, even if it wasn't a story-related one. And, besides, a Galarian trainer would've been far better that Samson-"idiotic meme face"-Oak. Or Team Rocket. Or kriffing Faba.
I don't think that they would do that without making Ash lose.

Not really. They could have the Galar trainer be a rookie who was on vacation in Alola and decided to enter the League because it was free to join.
Ash would have to lose, because he can't counter Galar Pokemon because he's never seen them before or even heard of them. I don't think that they would throw away a valuable character development moment for Ash just for the sake of promoting the next generation.

Can't believe it's the final episode of Sun & Moon, it'll be very emotional for sure, goodbye to a great series of the Pokémon Anime! :)

Ash would have to lose, because he can't counter Galar Pokemon because he's never seen them before or even heard of them.
Since when was not knowing what type a Pokemon is or what moves it has a problem for our boi and his mons? He's a great strategist, and most recently, he's taken down a deity. Aren't you underestimating him a bit?
All UBs have their own worlds, so it wouldn't make sense for them to be in the same world at once. Besides, they deserved separate episodes to get better focus.
'I live in Poland, so it wouldn't make sense for me to ever be in one room with an American, a guy from Japan, and a person from Korea.'
(That actually happened to me)
'Donald Trump comes from America, so it wouldn't make sense for him to ever be in Poland! His visit must've been a fake!!'

... Sorry, I just couldn't resist... Are you suggesting UBs are immovable objects or something? That it's impossible for them to travell between worlds? I most certainly don't remember Buzzwole ever having problems with coming to Alola. And in the part of the post you quoted, the only thing that suggests a scenario where all UBs are together is the part where Pulsaro talks about them being Necrozma protectors or something, in which case, if they were under Necrozma's controll for whatever reason, it would make sense for them to reply to alpha and come together in one place.

'I live in Poland, so it wouldn't make sense for me to ever be in one room with an American, a guy from Japan, and a person from Korea.'
(That actually happened to me)
'Donald Trump comes from America, so it wouldn't make sense for him to ever be in Poland! His visit must've been a fake!!'

... Sorry, I just couldn't resist... Are you suggesting UBs are immovable objects or something? That it's impossible for them to travell between worlds? I most certainly don't remember Buzzwole ever having problems with coming to Alola. And in the part of the post you quoted, the only thing that suggests a scenario where all UBs are together is the part where Pulsaro talks about them being Necrozma protectors or something, in which case, if they were under Necrozma's controll for whatever reason, it would make sense for them to reply to alpha and come together in one place.
I said "at once", not "at all".

All UBs have their own worlds, so it wouldn't make sense for them to be in the same world at once.

A) I never said all the UBs should've appear in the Necrozma arc, nor did I mention how many or which ones. Having absolutely all of them is unrealistic, yes, but I never advocated for that. I was just saying that some of them could've been shown off during the arc, thus removing the need for the Power Rangers parody episodes and also promoting the Ultra Beasts.
B) I never said that they should just be there for no reason and with no explanation. Putting them in the Necrozma arc would naturally make people (and possibly even the characters) wonder what they're doing there, which Naganadel could've answered, since it has the power to create holographic expository flashbacks thanks to its telepathy (or whatever plot power it's supposed to have). As for how it could make sense... well, there's a multitude of ways you could explain it: they were brought to that place by some random Ultra Wormholes that started to open there (which, considering that this has been happening in Alola throughout Sun & Moon, it's fair to assume that the same thing would be happening in the other Ultra Space worlds as well) and were attracted to Necrozma's crystalline cocoon because of the energy it was giving off; they are native to this world (since Poipole's world shows that, in the anime, some of the UBs don't actually and having some of them be native to Poipole's world wouldn't be that farfetched or unrealistic (especially for those whose homeworlds never appeared in the games, like Stakataka)) and happen to care a lot about Necrozma or they worship it or something similar; they were part of a posse of Ultra Beasts the Necrozma befriended while travelling the Ultra Space and decided to stay protect it after it lost its light. Really, the only limit is the writers' imagination.

Besides, they deserved separate episodes to get better focus.

What exactly do you mean by "better focus"? As in they were the central point of the episode? Or that they were able to be better showcased? If it's the former, that's very shallow reasoning, considering that some Pokémon, like Pyukumuku and Kommo-o never received a proper focus episode. Not to mention that it's based on the assumption that it would be impossible to show off the Ultra Beasts' abilities and focus on them for more than a couple of minutes (which, since this is a story arc and not a just single episode, I'd say it would actually be quite possible to pull off). If it's the latter... well, when you have cases like Kartana (who was nothing more than a gag for most of its focus episode, only to turn into a "Make everything OK" plot device towards the end), Xurkitree (who basically had zero personality, whose abilities are apparently the same as a Joltik's, as well as the "threat" that it posed being treated like a silly stunt), Stakataka (again, an UB who had zero personality and spent most of its episode acting like a vaulting box), Pheromosa (who barely had any personality and never once used its namesake pheromones (you know, the thing that's supposed to be its signature talent/ability/skill) during its debut episode) and Buzzwole (who was also treated more like a ridiculous gag as its debut episode progressed), I really don't see how having a focus episode = giving the UBs better focus. And, as I pointed out, that's based on the assumption that they wouldn't be able to properly showcase them and their natural abilities throughout an entire story arc (plus, I find it very hard to imagine that it could've turned worse than what we got; at worst they wouldn't have received that much screen time).

Imo, movies don't really count, since not everyone watches the movies and as such miss the Pokemon. Same with the Pikachu Shorts.

Well, in fairness, the list is based on whether or not the Pokémon made its appearance prior to their respective generation/region's debut and not on whether or not that debut was seen by x number of people. So, whether some people missed it or were unable to see it is kind of irrelevant.

Well, in fairness, the list is based on whether or not the Pokémon made its appearance prior to their respective generation/region's debut and not on whether or not that debut was seen by x number of people. So, whether some people missed it or were unable to see it is kind of irrelevant.

True. However, some people consider movies non-canon as well, since they don't affect the main anime.

However, some people consider movies non-canon as well, since they don't affect the main anime.

Impact on the anime doesn't make a movie non-canon. Maybe an event that contradicts the main anime, like Ash having met Zekrom a second time/met Reshiram for the first time would do that (though even, that isn't a guarantee), but a lack of impact? That just makes them ambiguously canon at worst. And, besides, this has already proven that most movies are more or less connected to and canon to the main anime.

Not to mention that it's based on the assumption that it would be impossible to show off the Ultra Beasts' abilities and focus on them for more than a couple of minutes (which, since this is a story arc and not a just single episode, I'd say it would actually be quite possible to pull off)
The only issue with your idea is that it would likely turn into the Lusamine battle: Ash’s classmates who never battle having no trouble taking out a bunch of superpowered and enhanced fully evolved mons.

Showed Sakaki FaceTimeing TRio :wynaut:
This must be the budget cuts the people were talking about.
If a Galar Pokemon doesn't appear at all in this episode, Gen 7 will be the first gen not to feature a mon before it's previous gen
It must be a really weird experience to see a Gen IV pokémon in the anime, more than two years ago of the games.

New summary and images can be found here

Screenshots

Nothing considerably new from the screenshots, but I'm glad they've cut back on the spoilers. This sentiment actually extends to Oha Suta as well, guess a lot of people didn't like them outright spoiling the League win.

Also, judging by it being just Ash, Pikachu and Rotom on the beach, it could be assumed that Rotom falls under Ash's future journey plans/decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom