• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest, I'm still rather disappointed at the lack of information around the anime series and the games, we don't know a lot at present

I don't mind it that much, especially for the games. I definitely remember people complaining that they revealed too much for both the past two generations. I'm pretty sure that they revealed over half of the new Pokemon before the games came out. We know a decent amount of game information at least, but not an overwhelming amount either. They're basically giving fans enough information to where we'd want more. The only things I'd want them to reveal at this point are the starter evolutions. I wouldn't be upset if they revealed more version exclusives or Galarian forms instead, but I'm okay with waiting another couple of weeks before finding out a lot more about the games. As much as I like waking up to more Pokemon news, I also feel like this method of slowly providing information is a better way to create buzz instead of revealing practically the entire game before the release date.

The minimal information on the anime is a bit more frustrating by comparison mainly because it's harder to see why they're keeping so much of it close to the vest at the moment. It is possible that they don't want to reveal too much from Sword/Shield featured in the new series before the games come out, but it can make it more frustrating in a sense. Stuff like the announcement of an announcement, waiting a month for a teaser poster and then having a few details thrown out there until SM ends doesn't help matters either. Despite that, I don't think it's that bad or disappointing for the anime. We'll find out more about it sooner rather than later. While it sounds like we'll get some information during the next couple of weeks, I'm also okay with just waiting until the series premieres to learn more about it if it does come to that.

Holy shit, it's actually a reboot. AThis series will have no connection to ash's past adventures meaning everything we have seen before was a waste of time. It also won't have miyazki. So we won't have any past musical scores as well

This is a downgrade on every level.

Last edited:
I thought it was a reboot based on the trailer. I'm not one that follows the anime in general, so I don't have a clue on how it'll be received, but I doubt it'll straight out fail.

It's kind of funny if Ash will start with both Pikachu and all the Kanto starters as one shot in the trailer seem to imply. In the case of a reboot, it was obvious that he'd get them again (expecially Charmander), but I wouldn't expect that he'd have them already at the start, though it might be just a wrong impression.

I do wonder why Yamper/Scorbunny are present in Kanto (the former more likely then the second). And given that it's a reboot, I do think that they plan this to go on for a long time, and not focus on each region just for a few episodes as some believed.

From Serebii:

Serebii said:
The first trailer has been released for Pokémon, the new anime series due to air November 15th 2019. With this we also got the first episode title and summary. This episode is set as a flashback to before Ash and Pikachu met on their journey and features a certain Pichu in Kanto.

This might just be a "remember how everything started?" kind of episode, even though most of the times I have seen something like that was with pilot episodes and not first episodes.

OMG look at my babies :love:

But also I’m surprised so many of you got reboot from that! My feeling just from the trailer was of flashback. Especially as there’s a scene of Satoshi smashing his clock with Pikachu already in bed with him!!

Alongside the summary, that Pichu sound very Ikue Ohtani which means baby’s finally getting backstory!

Very exciting. Love the art style, feels almost Kanto-ish?

Doesn’t look like a reboot to me... it seems a bit more like how Ash reacts when someone gets to choose their starter Pokémon (ie May). He’s back in Kanto, met Go and that’s how the adventure starts. Vito-ing all his previous adventures doesn’t make sense to me. The poster has his Bulbasaur, Squirtle & Charizard at Oaks lab representing Kanto.

Though it does seem 50:50 if it’s a reboot or not, my money is currently on not.

Mainly because I really hope not.

Pikachu back story? I am shook.

Art and animation wise, it's super slick and clean and I love it.

There's just something about Shuhei Yasuda's character designs that helps makes things feel so alive.

Reboot wise, I honestly don't think it is one (for now) because if it was then my interest of watching would be going down rapdily fast. There's just something about them dumping years worth of not just continuity but also many memorable characters and Ash's entire team that doesn't sit well at me, at all.

That and it would make what Olivia said to Ash in the recent S&M episode totally worthless junk.

Holy shit, it's actually a reboot. AThis series will have no connection to ash's past adventures meaning everything we have seen before was a waste of time. It also won't have miyazki. So we won't have any past musical scores as well

This is a downgrade on every level.
I thought it was a reboot based on the trailer. I'm not one that follows the anime in general, so I don't have a clue on how it'll be received, but I doubt it'll straight out fail.

It's kind of funny if Ash will start with both Pikachu and all the Kanto starters as one shot in the trailer seem to imply. In the case of a reboot, it was obvious that he'd get them again (expecially Charmander), but I wouldn't expect that he'd have them already at the start, though it might be just a wrong impression.

I do wonder why Yamper/Scorbunny are present in Kanto (the former more likely then the second). And given that it's a reboot, I do think that they plan this to go on for a long time, and not focus on each region just for a few episodes as some believed.
I don't see what part of the trailer says reboot at all. Ash playing with the three starters? Remember, there are always more starters than just one each of the three, and Ash being Ash will always get excited by Pokemon.

The artstyle looks very good and pretty much very detailed like XY's, though I didn't enjoy the choppy animation (unless it's my browser that's playing it at a choppy rate?), hope that's something they fix in the actual anime. I'm also glad that they toned down Ash's facial features and made them smaller.

To me, it looked like the first two episodes will deal with Pikachu backstory and Ash's journey's start, basically EP001 flashbacks and all. Pretty much this comment.
From Serebii:

This might just be a "remember how everything started?" kind of episode, even though most of the times I have seen something like that was with pilot episodes and not first episodes.
Also like @RetroPokeFan stated, there's no reason for them to have put in the segment in SM145 where Olivia suggests to Ash to travel the world and him making up his mind to do, if it was going to be a reboot.

Last edited:
At least we can throw the concerns about Professor Oak not appearing out the window. This isn't a reboot either: Like said earlier, it would destroy the line Olivia said that Ash should travel the world. It would also make Torracats evolution pointless for example (Among other things).

I have a feeling Go, the new Professor and Koharu are related and that they came from Galar to Kanto (That way, Ash finds out about Galar via them) and professor Oak shows them the starters (For all we know its Ash's Bulbasaur he shows) but not lets them choose one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom