• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reboot or not a reboot... this is a good question. I would say it is a semi-reboot, because of all the throwbacks like Oak's lab and Ash throwing his clock at the wall. They will probably bring a lot of iconic scenes back: The Spearow chase, a similar goodbye scene with a Butterfree, first meeting with Team Rocket, Serena's Kiss, etc.

Also, this anime will really have no female companion, or I would say not a traditional one. There is this one girl in the trailers, but I think she will just be a side character that sometimes has a couple of episodes focused on her but will not be part of the major story. That goes to Ash and Gou. If she would play a major role, she would be part of the promotional posters. Which she isn't.
The moment there's any sort of continuity or throwbacks involved to past events that were shown on screen, it ceases to be a reboot.
One could argue that it's a soft reboot but that's pretty much what they've been doing for every new series with BW being the worst case scenario.

As for female companions, I feel like older companions will be rotated every now and then for a few episodes and make appearances in the future and all that.

Anyone else getting bad Best Wishes memories from this?

View attachment 127267
I seriously doubt they'll start the series off on a sour note like last time. This seems to be Ash getting caught off guard by a Pokemon he doesn't know much about, but can adapt to and improvise.

What implies to be a reboot is the scenes from the first episode, Ash picking up his starter with lightning bold symbol on it and it being Pikachu, and the scene in the bed Ash throwing the Poké Ball alarm on the wall. But it is not the same as the first episode because Pikachu is in the bed alongside Ash while he throws it, so he is already with his starter Pokémon. Therefore, him waking up late the next day won't give him a reason to miss one of the official Kanto starters and settle with Pikachu.

What I think is the Poké Ball scene is a flashback, while him throwing the Poké Ball on the wall is just a reference to the first episode.

The scene with three Kanto starters is just Sakuragi showing them to Gou to make him pick one. Ash is obviously amazed because he trained all of them and they are from his own region. But Gou already has another starter to pick, which happens to be Scorbunny.

Additionally I really like the theme starting with the preview. We usually get a generic song with new series' promotion, but this is rather mysterious. I hope this reflects the plots in the anime.

Also, who upset these Tentacool?!

Last edited:
I still think either Koharu is the female companion or it will be another girl we don't know yet, I seriously doubt that they won't have an female compation that would just be stupid.

I still think either Koharu is the female companion or it will be another girl we don't know yet, I seriously doubt that they won't have an female compation that would just be stupid.

Its possible the females tag along for a couple of episodes (Like Bianca back in the day) in a region and then leaves if Ash and Go Go to another region (Yeah, this sentence doesn't really work) and get a new female companion. That way they can go back and forth in regions but don't have to actively develop the females on-screen and can give them old captures off-screen, since we have seen those mons already anyways.

I seriously doubt they'll start the series off on a sour note like last time. This seems to be Ash getting caught off guard by a Pokemon he doesn't know much about, but can adapt to and improvise.
god i hope this is the case, i can't take another pikachu vs snivy scenario( i find it funny my favourite pokemon's first stage caused me so much misery)

People really want female companions return, right?

I really doubt old female companion will join the main group. If they really need a female companion, they will use Koharu.

It seems this season really wants to focus mainly on Ash and Go.

What implies to be a reboot is the scenes from the first episode, Ash picking up his starter with lightning bold symbol on it and it being Pikachu, and the scene in the bed Ash throwing the Poké Ball alarm on the wall. But it is not the same as the first episode because Pikachu is in the bed alongside Ash while he throws it, so he is already with his starter Pokémon. Therefore, him waking up late the next day won't give him a reason to miss one of the official Kanto starters and settle with Pikachu.

What I think is the Poké Ball scene is a flashback, while him throwing the Poké Ball on the wall is just a reference to the first episode.

The scene with three Kanto starters is just Sakuragi showing them to Gou to make him pick one. Ash is obviously amazed because he trained all of them and they are from his own region. But Gou already has another starter to pick, which happens to be Scorbunny.

Additionally I really like the theme starting with the preview. We usually get a generic song with new series' promotion, but this is rather mysterious. I hope this reflects the plots in the anime.

Also, who upset these Tentacool?!
We will see Pikachu's backstory in the first episode. So, it's pretty likely the episode will end with the meeting between Ash and Pikachu.

It's also possible we have a retelling of the first episode (in episode 2). Although that would be pretty close to a reboot.

Well... it is not like the female companions or companions in general, really did a lot in the anime. The most active characters were always Ash and TR, which is the reason why the anime never removed them from the series. Plus, I'm not really sure if another female character could really add something new to the table. The girls in the anime were kinda very similar to each other so far. Cute, slim, beautiful looking girls, that own cute Pokémon and were interested in cute things. Iris was probably the most unique and outstanding of the bunch, but even she is just way to close to the cutie girl template for all of the other female main characters.

If we get another female character, she has to be something we haven't seen before. A bratty girl, a silly girl, an action girl, a girl that is into sports, science, or arts, a girl that is maybe cold and a bit mean, but we can not have another cute one.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was just about to point this out. Pikachu sleeping with Ash didn't happen in the movie, either, so this seems like a third continuity to me. I don't know why they're using the movie logo, but whatever.

"Satoshi choosing Pikachu as his starter" and "Satoshi and Pikachu sleeps together" scenes are obviously from different times. I see no reason to believe it's a reboot.
It's clearly a remake of this classic scene from before Ash picked a starter. Why would they just randomly focus on Bulbasaur's poster if it were from a different time?

Last edited:
"Satoshi choosing Pikachu as his starter" and "Satoshi and Pikachu sleeps together" scenes are obviously from different times. I see no reason to believe it's a reboot.

Of course, they are from different times. People confuse the scenes, because Satoshi is using the same pajamas in both scenes.

I think they try a "fresh start" (not necessarily a reboot) for new audience. That's why we will see Pikachu's backstory and his meeting with Ash.

I wonder if it is possible they will be retelling the events in episode 1 (being chased by Spearrows and seeing Ho-oh) in episode 2 of the new season.

Of course, they are from different times. People confuse the scenes, because Satoshi is using the same pajamas in both scenes.

I think they try a "fresh start" (not necessarily a reboot) for new audience. That's why we will see Pikachu's backstory and his meeting with Ash.

I wonder if it is possible they will be retelling the events in episode 1 (being chased by Spearrows and seeing Ho-oh) in episode 2 of the new season.
I don't think that this whole saga will just be them retelling old episodes but with Gou added to the cast.

Yeah, I was just about to point this out. Pikachu sleeping with Ash didn't happen in the movie, either, so this seems like a third continuity to me. I don't know why they're using the movie logo, but whatever.

It's clearly a remake of this classic scene from before Ash picked a starter. Why would they just randomly focus on Bulbasaur's poster if it were from a different time?
Previously you were arguing that it's a reboot in the ICY and TPoU continuity because of the logo. Now you're arguing it's a reboot in a third continuity because of the green pajama scenes?
tenor.gif

Give it a rest.

If anything, it seems more of a throwback to the very first episode... most likely right after Ash returns from Alola to prepare for his new journey. Nothing states that he wouldn't be wearing the same outfit and that if he does then it's somehow a total reboot.

And what are you even implying with that Bulbasaur line? He meant "different times" as in different scenes/situations. For example, the one with him receiving the Pokeball being a flashback to EP001 whereas the one where he throws the ball being in present time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom