• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

That's true - I was just trying to make the point that Gigantamax is not the inherently better choice all the time. They're less like Mega Stones and more like species-specific Z-Crystals in that regard. I think people are seeing the new forms and thinking they make Dynamax look less impressive (which is kinda true) and thus obsolete in comparison (which is kinda not).
That is fair. And it is true this is more akin to z-moves. Which honestly isn't a bad route, making every pokemon useful in some way, orthodx or not instead of hand picking some and make them overpowered outshining everyone. Don't get me wrong I like megas, but that's kind of what they did.

That's true - I was just trying to make the point that Gigantamax is not the inherently better choice all the time. They're less like Mega Stones and more like species-specific Z-Crystals in that regard. I think people are seeing the new forms and thinking they make Dynamax look less impressive (which is kinda true) and thus obsolete in comparison (which is kinda not).
And that’s a problem I have with it. If a G-Max move is the only difference between Dynamax and Gigantamax, then there’s really no need for a new design: it make it seem like a waste of space that could have gone to either a brand new Pokémon or a regional variant.

The least they could do is shift around the non-HP stats so a Pokémon’s Gigantamax form plays differently from Dynamax without making one strictly better than the other. For example, maybe Gigantamax Charizard could swap its Attack and Sp. Attack stats, while Gigantamax Alcremie could have its offensive stats redistributed to its Defense stat.

And that’s a problem I have with it. If a G-Max move is the only difference between Dynamax and Gigantamax, then there’s really no need for a new design: it make it seem like a waste of space that could have gone to either a brand new Pokémon or a regional variant.

The least they could do is shift around the non-HP stats so a Pokémon’s Gigantamax form plays differently from Dynamax without making one strictly better than the other. For example, maybe Gigantamax Charizard could swap its Attack and Sp. Attack stats, while Gigantamax Alcremie could have its offensive stats redistributed to its Defense stat.
This is actually a valid counterpoint I hadn’t considered, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they worked the stats around too; I just don’t want it to make Dynamax completely pointless.

Either way, I got my fatboy Pikachu and my meal ticket longMeowth so I’m satisfied :)

That is fair. And it is true this is more akin to z-moves. Which honestly isn't a bad route, making every pokemon useful in some way, orthodx or not instead of hand picking some and make them overpowered outshining everyone. Don't get me wrong I like megas, but that's kind of what they did.

Not necesary some pokemon gained strategical meaning by countering them via strategies. The Bigger the threats the more useful strategies. Pure power isnt always good.

We know that D-max works like Inner focus. What if G-max gainst something more even? Max pokemon are having like 2 abilities what if G-max has 3 abilities?

The all stats up +1 or +2 during 3 turns could be possible too.

Last edited:

That whole give every Pokemon access to something sounds great in theory, but in reality it will most likely end with the already strong Pokemon using the max moves most effectively or certain max moves being better than others and therefore favored.

That whole give every Pokemon access to something sounds great in theory, but in reality it will most likely end with the already strong Pokemon using the max moves most effectively or certain max moves being better than others and therefore favored.
There's a caveat to that, though: you're not forced to have one Pokèmon designed for Dynamax, as you did with Z-moves. Every member of the team can be used depending on the situation, matchup, or unfortunate circumstances (losing the one you wanted to Dynamax for a bad call/luck.)

Given that there are plently of players that like to play or at least try uncommon and weird stuff, all of those Pokèmon could be seen using the new mechanic sometimes.

There's a caveat to that, though: you're not forced to have one Pokèmon designed for Dynamax, as you did with Z-moves. Every member of the team can be used depending on the situation, matchup, or unfortunate circumstances (losing the one you wanted to Dynamax for a bad call/luck.)

Given that there are plently of players that like to play or at least try uncommon and weird stuff, all of those Pokèmon could be seen using the new mechanic sometimes.

Completely removing the team building aspects of dynamaxing also limits the potential for any Pokemon to rise up using said mechanic as they need to be functional without Dynamaxing.

Sure the effects of the max moves can help with building themed team but it is such a linear way and it is far less effective than using a variety of types that can handle the most number of Dynamax Pokemon/counters.

With the arguements you give, dynamaxing feels like a completely unnecessary mechanic in terms its effect on battles that players are forced to use because otherwise they will be at an arbitrary disadvantage.

That’s exactly what it is lol

Remember that might be one of the things we might be sacrificing a full Pokedex if they had to make separate models for them.

Mega Gallade might have died to replace the Charizard pandering that they removed because they couldn't be bothered to balance the problem megas.

This is on top of all of the lore being forced into the region's identity like a cancerous growth. If I'm able to ignore the mechanics I dislike, I might begin to tolerate them. At least with side content it is completely optional fluff and we dont have to use or do it.

This right here is one of the big reasons why I have grown to loathe battle gimmicks and have a hard time giving Game Freak the benefit of the doubt with Sword & Shield justifying the cut.

Glad I got that rant out of my system. I play Pokemon for Pokemon not for faux Kaiju battles

Remember that might be one of the things we might be sacrificing a full Pokedex if they had to make separate models for them.
Exactly, and it bothers me too.

Mega Gallade might have died to replace the Charizard pandering that they removed because they couldn't be bothered to balance the problem megas.
If you’re trying to appeal to me personally w the Mega Gallade example, my only response is that I don’t care that much. Certainly not enough to change my opinion of the game as a whole.

This is on top of all of the lore being forced into the region's identity like a cancerous growth. If I'm able to ignore the mechanics I dislike, I might begin to tolerate them. At least with side content it is completely optional fluff and we dont have to use or do it.
don’t really see how the lore is forced. I don’t like Dynamax but having to use it in a few gym battles doesn’t really bother me.

This right here is one of the big reasons why I have grown to loathe battle gimmicks and have a hard time giving Game Freak the benefit of the doubt with Sword & Shield justifying the cut.

Glad I got that rant out of my system. I play Pokemon for Pokemon not for faux Kaiju battles
Like it or not “faux Kaiju battles” are part of Pokémon now. I don’t really like them either but personally they don’t bother me to the point where it changes my perception of the game or franchise as a whole. I understand that your opinion may differ, though.

Exactly, and it bothers me too.

If you’re trying to appeal to me personally w the Mega Gallade example, my only response is that I don’t care that much. Certainly not enough to change my opinion of the game as a whole.

don’t really see how the lore is forced. I don’t like Dynamax but having to use it in a few gym battles doesn’t really bother me.

Like it or not “faux Kaiju battles” are part of Pokémon now. I don’t really like them either but personally they don’t bother me to the point where it changes my perception of the game or franchise as a whole. I understand that your opinion may differ, though.

I would be fine with using dynamaxing in couple of gyms, but dont like the thought of competitive battles being centered around or potential post game features being cut for a battle gimmick that is probably gonna be gone in the next generation. If we have to have a battle gimmick, at least pick one and stick with ir

It doesn't help that these battle gimmicks contribute the nostalgia pandering aspect of recent games (the thing that hate even more than battle gimmicks) and are tied to some Pokemon's viability. People shouldn't have to fear having their favorites becoming unviable if/when a gimmick goes away.

I was fine with megas and z moves because I hoped that that the attention would move away from them after they were there for a while and back to creating fun and substantial post games. In that regards I've might have too hopeful.

I hope that G- sound and bullet moves will get blocked by immunity abilities.

It's a pity they didn't give Unown a G-max form. The multiocular O would have made for great form.

Werther it would be any more useful is a different matter XD

Missed Gigantimax Opportunities :

1 - Gigantimax Conkeldurr - Skyscrapers exchange for its concrete pillars
2 - Gigantimax Xatu - A full built totem with other heads shape look like other pokemon
3 - Gigantimax Sudowoodo - A giant oak tree like appearance
4 - Gigantimax Exploud - A giant boombox
5 - Gigantimax Drifblim - A giant zeplin
6 - Gigantimax Dusknoir - the concept for g-max gengar would be better fit for this pokemon cuz it is known for taking spirits of human and send them to the spirit realm
7- Gigantimax Beheeyem - an UFO consept would be better fit than our new bug/psychic g-max

but no we have to give it to the charizard, gengar, pikachu, eevee and snorlax who has already had a special treatment. Only deserved ol-gen g-max forms are Lapras, Machamp, Kİngler, Garborgor and Butterfree.

Where can you find the items to evolve Milcery?

interesting if moves that get boost from Strong Jaw will get damaged when hiting Liquid Ooze users? draning moves get damage and biting and draning should be like wise. logic.

Snipe shot, Pyro ball, Dragon Darts and Gulp missile get blocked by Bulletproof? Something more? Some more Old moves?

Im disapointed we need to wait for Frostmoth, Dracopult and Cramorant.
Hope they maybe allow G-max pokemon to get one more G-max moves... Taking their types... Would be cool.

Charizard and Gengar are the proof that other pokemon in future could get more mechanics.

If gen 4 gets megas(all old ones+15 new ones, starters 2+4, froslass, slowking, dusknoir, legendaries or nkt) and 9 kanto gigas +giga think per 15 pro mechanic(legedaries may get mix Titan forms work 3 turns big sized megas with ability change or get both?). Then 2,3 and 4 get covered. In Sw&sch sequel we may get Komo and Hydreigon taking how we get them... Seriously need to confront both mechanics. Want G-Charizard to battle its Megas.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what I have to do to make the following new Pokémon I've caught evolve? Like, don't say the names of their evolutions, just give me the conditions needed to evolve:

Drizzile
Dottler
Corvisquire
Skwovet
Nickit
Zigzagoon (Galar)
Wooloo
Chewtle
Yamper
Rolycoly

You can check Serebii for updated abilities

I checked bulbapedia and smogon, worries me that shot and shoot moves aren't listed anymore.
Mud shot and Gunk Shot. And new moves arent added.

Pyro ball should, don't know how Snipe Shot did someone test it on the Bulletproof sheep or aplle dragon?

How many moves don't work against a pokemon thats Dynamaxed ? Do we have a list? and does Gigantamax give extra benefits then only G-move?

We know that flinch, weight and item stealing/destroing moves fail against Dynamax? Shrug of flinching? Hows with One hit KO moves? Someone tested?
_

Are pokemon that have a stone or item regular evolution line not able to Gigantamax ???

You always needed to trade Gengar to evolve it... feels like a Gigantamax Alakazam should be there too...

One thing for sure Blastoise and Venusaur have some kind of plans for the sequel game taking we got Charizard in it.

Gen 4 remakes need to feauture both D-max, Gigantamax and Megaevolution( for the Sinnoh starters)
taking that would be impossible that every gym there suddently would have only D-max and its relation to the first 3 regions is more important.

Also taking that we get 8 strong legendaries in gen 4 remakes... how many Gigantamax effects for how many types can you create?

The more I see and learn about G-Max, the more I hate it. Why is it so restrictive?? What happened to making your own Pokemon more competitive? I don't want to catch some fully evolved thing because I like its form, I want to raise one myself and use that! The whole concept is counterproductive to everything else they've been trying to achieve this gen and I hope they realize it.

The more I see and learn about G-Max, the more I hate it. Why is it so restrictive?? What happened to making your own Pokemon more competitive? I don't want to catch some fully evolved thing because I like its form, I want to raise one myself and use that! The whole concept is counterproductive to everything else they've been trying to achieve this gen and I hope they realize it.

Indeed; this strikes me as a really poor decision. I was quite looking forward to having my Coalossal go all Lythos the Earth Titan from Hercules on people, but alas, it seems I will never really have a reason to try using a Gigantamax form now aside from Melmetal, since that one will probably come through a gift distribution anyway. What's baffling to me is, between the Dynamax and Exp. candies and the Technical Records, there's already plenty of incentive to do lots of Max Raid Battles. Gigantamax Pokémon didn't need to be locked behind that, and even if for some reason they did, I think it would have been perfectly fine to let us use those G-Max Pokémon to pass on the Gigantamax Factor to any other Pokémon of the same species, as we can now do with egg moves. That way, you'd still have to "unlock" the G-Max form through Max Raids, but could use it with one of the Pokémon you actually care about.

The way that it works right now doesn't even really make sense in the context of how other characters employ G-Max forms, either. Leon gives you a Charmander with the G-Max Factor that you can raise up into a Charizard, so it's not actually a trait that only occurs in final forms. Similarly, your rivals all end up Gigantamaxing Pokémon that we've seen on their teams throughout the game, and I really doubt that the implication is meant to be that their original partners were replaced.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom