• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So its confirmed then, Koharu will be just be a recurring character and not a main

The idea certainly has potential as I often feel that three is a crowd lol

One always gets less development

I must admit that a series with no gyms or tournaments, even more Kanto pandering, no female lead characters, almost no Galar, no game plot being adapted and no cameos from older characters sounds like it might not be my cup of tea at all.

Not too crazy about Gou's goal either. How will he have time to bound with so many Pokémon? Just catching them for the sake of collecting them almost feels a little wrong in the context of the anime since the Pokémon are characters in their own right. That almost feels like something a character like Paul/Shinji would do.

The only thing that I really like from what I have seen so far is that they are expanding Pikachu's backstory and possibly Team Rocket's backstory as well according to some tweets from the voice actors.

I hope that they will finally animate Miyamoto and integrate Team Rocket into the plot with Mew. It would be a good way to make them plot relevant and a little more serious without upsetting the other half of the fanbase that hated BW Team Rocket so much that the writers had to throw the whole plot out of the window in the middle of the series. Maybe they could even reintroduce Pierce and explain where he went since he just disappeared from the surface of the Earth. :p

I also hope that Team Rocket will catch some Galar Pokémon. I have seen a few that might suit them but my lips are sealed LOL. :censored:

Boy, you guys really see in everything a sign of Serena returning. She will not become series regular again. Her time, like with every other companion, is over! I'm actually happy that the anime switches the protagonist with every series to keep things fresh. This anime is about Ash and Go. So no Serena, no Misty, no Brock, no May, just Ash and Go.

Personally I hope there will be no female character. I really want to see Ash and Go bound as brothers. After Kukui filled the role of Ash's his father, and Burnet as his second and better-written mother, Ash needs a person in his life that fills in the role of a sibling. And Go so far is the best candidate for it.
I fail to see why you believe that she (and the other past companions) won't return given that it's a continuity. Maybe not as a main character (that honor goes to Ash, Gou, Pikachu and Scorbunny, and the rest of their main team Pokemon only), but as a recurring side or supporting character... even a temporary travelling companion. At this point, I feel like you hate everything that is not labelled SM.

Last edited:
Rica Matsumoto points out that this is the first series to only have two main characters; usually they have three or more.
Very disappointing news. Poor Koharu and Yuri...
I can't help but wonder if Burnet will have given birth by the time we reach Alola this series
Pregnancy scene had to be a time-forward, as she wasn't looking pregnant at all while Satoshi was still there. So, we'll probably not see her pregnant or with a baby until Satoshi become 11 year old at some hypothetical point in future.
a series with no gyms or tournaments
I doubt it. Catching every pokémon is Gou's goal, Satoshi still wants to be Pokémon Master. I can't see him not challenging Galar gyms.

Okay... let's see what we have so far:

• This anime is a world tour through the whole Pokémon world.
  • Ash and Go are the only main characters. Meaning for the first time we will have no fanservice-driven girl traveling with Ash.
  • This series will have no Gym battles and tournaments?
  • TR will stay as recurring antagonists.
Interesting... This anime might even go further away from the typical formula. I wonder how much hate this anime will get. People especially were I live, really hated S&M because it was just way to different.

If the interview says that two boy protagonists and no girl is confirmed I honestly don't see who thought this could be a good idea. If Pokémon wasn't my favourite franchise I would straight up stop watching for the gender imbalance that was already there getting worse.

Meaning for the first time we will have no fanservice-driven girl traveling with Ash.

Since when were any of the past female companions "fanservice-driven girls"? I'm really starting to think that you either have no idea what the words you're using even mean or that you just hate the girls companions for whatever reason and are trying to justify it by labelling these negative traits to them, even if they don't apply to them (or maybe a little both).

This series will have no Gym battles and tournaments?

That's not confirmed, though. For all we know, Ash might challenge the Galar League (plus, they're gonna have to showcase the gyms there anyways).

Well, one of the former head-writers of the anime actually told, that the girls are mostly there for fanservice, which would explain why all of them have a similar character design.

If the interview says that two boy protagonists and no girl is confirmed I honestly don't see who thought this could be a good idea. If Pokémon wasn't my favourite franchise I would straight up stop watching for the gender imbalance that was already there getting worse.

Technically XY and Sun and especially Moon had a pretty good balance between female characters and male characters. This upcoming anime is technically the first one that really favors the boys. Maybe because boys are more into this anime? Not sure what the target demographic of this anime is.

I hope Rica is exaggerating, because considering Takeshi as main character but not Koharu seems very bad news to me. Still, she also didn't count TR as main characters, yet we promised more active roles for them. So, Koharu might still be a very active part of the episodes, and might be developed further in future.

I fail to see why you believe that she (and the other past companions) won't return given that it's a continuity. Maybe not as a main character (that honor goes to Ash, Gou, Pikachu and Scorbunny, and the rest of their main team Pokemon only), but as a recurring side or supporting character... even a temporary travelling companion. At this point, I feel like you hate everything that is not labelled SM.

I fail to see why you believe old characters will return (especially in supporting roles) only because we will see the 8 regions.

I mean, it's also pretty possible we will see Ash and Go interacting with new characters in the 8 regions, while old companions don't appear at all.

Well, one of the former head-writers of the anime actually told, that the girls are mostly there for fanservice, which would explain why all of them have a similar character design.

The Masamitsu Hidaka interview? From the guy who hasn't been in charge of the anime since the Advanced Generations series ended? Who apparently said that in a joking manner?

Yeah, that's very credible and clearly applies to all of the other series that he hasn't worked on :rolleyes:. Besides that, that interview doesn't prove that the rest of the crew working on the anime share his viewpoints (and that's assuming that these were his actual views and not just a bad joke taken too seriously).

Also, no offense, but you'd have to be completely blind to say that all of the female companions look exactly the same. Different hair styles, different hair and eye colors, different clothes (and, even going beyond surface-level traits like appearances, each of them had different goals, different personalities, different motivations)... yeah, I have no idea how you can just say that all of the girl companions are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom