• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Rica is exaggerating, because considering Takeshi as main character but not Koharu seems very bad news to me. Still, she also didn't count TR as main characters, yet we promised more active roles for them. So, Koharu might still be a very active part of the episodes, and might be developed further in future.

I guess Rica see main characters as the members of the main group. Not so much that the characters are so active.

It's pretty clear Ash and Go are traveling together in this season.

Koharu may have an active role, but she isn't a companion.

Wonder what they will do in all those regions and more importantly what pokemon has is going to use

The Masamitsu Hidaka interview? From the guy who hasn't been in charge of the anime since the Advanced Generations series ended? Who apparently said that in a joking manner?

Yeah, that's very credible and clearly applies to all of the other series that he hasn't worked on :rolleyes:. Besides that, that interview doesn't prove that the rest of the crew working on the anime share his viewpoints (and that's assuming that these were his actual views and not just a bad joke taken too seriously).

Also, no offense, but you'd have to be completely blind to say that all of the female companions look exactly the same. Different hair styles, different hair and eye colors, different clothes (and, even going beyond surface-level traits like appearances, each of them had different goals, different personalities, different motivations)... yeah, I have no idea how you can just say that all of the girl companions are the same.

It isn't weird that an anime has female characters for fanservice reasons. That doesn't mean the character couldn't be developed or have goals, it is just that the main reason for its existence is fanservice.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason for a female character in Pokemon anime (and the reason why we have three females in SM) is fanservice.

It's pretty clear Ash and Go are traveling together in this season.
Based on things they said, there won't be much traveling in this series, as they simply go to other regions for some still unexplained reason, and simply return to their home base in Kanto at the end of the episode. Kinda similar to Time Bokan series.

It isn't weird that an anime has female characters for fanservice reasons. That doesn't mean the character couldn't be developed or have goals, it is just that the main reason for its existence is fanservice.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason for a female character in Pokemon anime (and the reason why we have three females in SM) is fanservice.

Where the hell is this fanservice that you people keep talking about? I don't remember ever seeing any kind of fanservice regarding the female companions. The closest thing I can think of is Serena and, even then, I'm not sure her moments would even classify as fanservice. So, unless we're using totally different definitions of fanservice, I have no idea where this notion keeps coming from.

Where the hell is this fanservice that you people keep talking about? I don't remember ever seeing any kind of fanservice regarding the female companions. The closest thing I can think of is Serena and, even then, I'm not sure her moments would even classify as fanservice. So, unless we're using totally different definitions of fanservice, I have no idea where this notion keeps coming from.

Fanservice could be pretty varied (and not inherently sexualized).

Even a cute girl wearing a pretty fancy dress while there is sparkle around her could be fanservice.

In itself, fanservice could be just a cute girl being cute.

I fail to see why you believe old characters will return (especially in supporting roles) only because we will see the 8 regions.

I mean, it's also pretty possible we will see Ash and Go interacting with new characters in the 8 regions, while old companions don't appear at all.
Counter.

I fail to see why you don't believe old characters will return in any capacity, especially since it's been proven so many times that it'll be a continuity. Both Misty and Brock had nothing to do with anything related to SM yet they appeared twice and once even in Alola. So your entire argument falls flat.

Also, what official evidence do you and Tomboyish Mermaid have that past female characters are purely fanservice?

Sure, Dawn and Lillie are two of the best-written characters of the anime, but they are both still mostly there for fanservice. People like cute girls after all and cute things in general.

Counter.

I fail to see why you don't believe old characters will return in any capacity, especially since it's been proven so many times that it'll be a continuity. Both Misty and Brock had nothing to do with anything related to SM yet they appeared twice and once even in Alola. So your entire argument falls flat.

Also, what official evidence do you and Tomboyish Mermaid have that past female characters are purely fanservice?

I guess old companion will return, but I just don't think it will happen (especially I don't think they return as supporting cast). They seem to want a "fresh start" (not reboot) for this new season, so I think it is more likely they will use new characters.

I've never said past female characters are purely fanservice.

I say I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason for female characters existence in anime is fanservice. I also mentioned that doesn't mean these characters wouldn't have development or goals.

I mean, when they need an equal protagonist to Ash (who represent Get Pokemon, while Ash represents Battle), they chose to create a male character.

I guess old companion will return, but I just don't think it will happen (especially I don't think they return as supporting cast). They seem to want a "fresh start" (not reboot) for this new season, so I think it is more likely they will use new characters.
If they wanted a fresh start, they'd have jumped straight over to Galar with Ash taking only Pikachu (essentially what he's done since AG) or continue with the M20 and M21 route... not revisit older regions in the original continuity at all. There's only so many OCs you can create as a supporting cast set in places that have already been explored, before you have to resort to older characters.
Sure, Dawn and Lillie are two of the best-written characters of the anime, but they are both still mostly there for fanservice. People like cute girls after all and cute things in general.
Like I asked earlier, evidence or you're completely wrong about the "fanservice" comment, that's a subjective opinion.

If they wanted a fresh start, they'd have jumped straight over to Galar with Ash taking only Pikachu (essentially what he's done since AG) or continue with the M20 and M21 route... not revisit older regions in the original continuity at all. There's only so many OCs you can create as a supporting cast set in places that have already been explored, before you have to resort to older characters.

It's a "fresh start" like the past seasons, the difference is they are using the 8 regions as a set instead of only one region. That isn't proof that old characters will return.

I am not sure why do you think "places that have already been explored" are a limitation. I mean they would show the "new versions" of these places (like Vermillion city that is pretty different than OS version) and create new OC for these adventures. Also, they can create new places in the 8 regions.

Not to mention that they likely want to attract new audience that have never seen these places.

Then, I don't think a "places that have already been explored" limitation really exists. They wouldn't need to bring old characters if they don't want.

Last edited:
It's a "fresh start" like the past seasons, the difference is they are using the 8 regions as a set instead of only one region. That isn't proof that old characters will return.

I am not sure why do you think "places that have already been explored" are a limitation. I mean they would show the "new versions" of these places (like Vermillion city that is pretty different than OS version) and create new OC for these adventures. Also, they can create new places in the 8 regions.

Not to mention that they likely want to attract new audience that have never seen these places.

Then, I don't think a "places that have already been explored" limitation really exists. They wouldn't need to bring old characters if they don't want.
If it's a "fresh start" like the previous series, then it's not exactly fresh in concept. The only thing new about this series is revisiting the history of the anime (not in a literal sense). That is not proof that past characters won't return at all.

The limitation argument applies to your reasoning for "past characters may not return". We had Brock and Alola return during SM despite not having anything to do with Alola at all, so there's a far higher chances of characters returning with respect to the regions they may be in. And I'm pretty sure Gou is the character by which they'll attract a new audience, not Ash. Ash is there for all the old term fans, along with all his connections.

As for your last line, what would their reasoning be for not bringing back any past characters when they're clearly revisiting everything so far? Go on, tell me, maybe then I can give you the slightest amount of credibility.

Fanservice could be pretty varied (and not inherently sexualized).

Even a cute girl wearing a pretty fancy dress while there is sparkle around her could be fanservice.

In itself, fanservice could be just a cute girl being cute.

I'm well aware that there's more than one type of fanservice, but, form my experience, there's only two I've heard of. The first one is when you pander to your fanbase by having something happen in a show that fans would probably love, while the second one is the more PG-18, "eyecandy" type of fanservice. The former doesn't happen that often, nor is it exclusive to the girls (and the ones that are related to the girls usually happen after the series they were in ended, in episodes where they reunite with Ash and reminisce about their past adventures and showing off some of the popular strategies that they used). And the second one, according to all of the definitions I've seen, be they from Wiktionary ("the inclusion in a work of fiction of material, especially of a racy or sexual nature, which has no relevance to the storyline and is designed merely to excite the viewer") or TV Tropes ("the use of sex or sexualized situations to reward or entice viewers") or some other sites, is strictly about having a... ahem mature scene involving a character/group of characters that's supposed to "excite" the viewers, which is definitely something that rarely, if ever, happens in the Pokémon anime. The only two moments that I can even think of regarding the latter would be the Serena/Ash kiss (and even that's a stretch) and Lillie and Altaria's mud rubbing scene from the hot spring episode (which was pretty minor anyways and quite forgettable). Other than those two, I don't remember seeing this kind of fanservice in the anime.

By your logic, flowers and rainbows and everything nice (and maybe even little things, like a smile or an expensive-looking costume) would be considered fanservice.

I don't know about that. I think that might be reading too much into the Pocket Monsters title. It's also pretty ridiculous think that they'll do a reboot with a new protagonist at this point, especially when Ash has outstayed his welcome for a lot of fans at least a decade ago. Ash has been the main lead for over two decades. He's not going to be replaced and I don't understand why people still treat it as a possibility.
The point of my post was to point out that there will be no reason for this series to end UNTIL a potential reboot. Meaning this will be the final series for the time being. I definitely don't see a reboot happening any time soon, but it's presumptuous to assume that in 10-20 years things won't be a little different. Naruto was the protagonist of his series for 15 years before getting replaced by his son. Maybe there won't be a Pokemon anime in 10-20 years (nothing lasts forever) or maybe the series will actually change enough to warrant a new protagonist some day.

As for the title, I don't think people are actually reading enough into it. How can you call series 8 "Pocket Monsters" and then go back to the status quo for series 9? First of all that really would be giving Galar the shaft, and it just wouldn't make sense because this series is easily capable of showing off new regions and Pokemon as they come out without the need for obligatory soft-resets.

If it's a "fresh start" like the previous series, then it's not exactly fresh in concept. The only thing new about this series is revisiting the history of the anime (not in a literal sense). That is not proof that past characters won't return at all.

The limitation argument applies to your reasoning for "past characters may not return". We had Brock and Alola return during SM despite not having anything to do with Alola at all, so there's a far higher chances of characters returning with respect to the regions they may be in. And I'm pretty sure Gou is the character by which they'll attract a new audience, not Ash. Ash is there for all the old term fans, along with all his connections.

As for your last line, what would their reasoning be for not bringing back any past characters when they're clearly revisiting everything so far? Go on, tell me, maybe then I can give you the slightest amount of credibility.

Yeah. It isn't proof they won't return characters at all. I guess it is good to mention that neither party in this discussion has proof of anything.

That said, they really want a "fresh start" for this new season. That's why this time the title is just Pocket Monsters.

There aren't higher chances of old characters returning only because the characters visit old regions. Bringing back old characters will totally depend if the writers want or no (not if Ash and Go are visiting old regions).

As you mentioned, they brought Brook and Misty, although they are not related to Alola at all. That shows how little they care about the region to which a former protagonist belongs.

I'm pretty sure the division isn't Ash for old audience and Go for new audience. They just want the story in general to attract new audience.

PS: I don't know why, but I feel hostility from you.

Last edited:
By your logic, flowers and rainbows and everything nice (and maybe even little things, like a smile or an expensive-looking costume) would be considered fanservice.
Would explain why the cartoon My Little Pony: Friendship is magic so popular is. People are into stuff like this. Even more than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom