• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh (Spoiler Free Please) question: Japan and reaction to recent leaks and other stuff

Another high profile comment from the Treehouse video, courtesy of a Japan-native. Seems there are Japanese people who are just as upset and baffled as we are:

I think that comment is not actually from a Japanese person. It looks familiar and I remember someone mentioning that the poster changed their username into nonsensical Japanese characters to give the illusion that they were Japanese.

Japanese outrage will probably amount to nothing. I mean, it's not like Famitsu is gonna suddenly give it a 5/10. I do however hope that GF sees the criticism. They've not really answered anything.
I think it was during one of the Game Informer videos they mentioned that the backlash was kind of a blow to overall moral.

But then ended up brushing off the same question when asked about it again by Nintendo Life like they were advised not to talk about it again.

Japanese outrage will probably amount to nothing. I mean, it's not like Famitsu is gonna suddenly give it a 5/10. I do however hope that GF sees the criticism. They've not really answered anything.
they tend to be more connected to their hometurf though, taking the Japanese fanbase more in account than other parts of the world. And I don't mean they neglect fanbases elsewhere, but there seems to be a larger degree of attunement. Which isn't even that weird. So Japanese fans announcing their dissatisfaction will probably make some sort of impact. And in the best case scenario they add the missing Pokemon in batched with DLC

we do live in an age where Bethesda has had lawsuit problems since 76.
Bethesda had legal issues because 76 was legitimately broken.

Pokemon Sword and Shield - to the best of my knowledge - is not a buggy, broken mess. I'm not happy with the national dex, but I know about it and the rest of the games features enough to make an informed purchasing decision.

That said, yeah. I've heard those rumours too. I think Pokemon fans all over the world are angry and upset over the national dex and various other issues with the games.

Another high profile comment from the Treehouse video, courtesy of a Japan-native. Seems there are Japanese people who are just as upset and baffled as we are:
This is an interesting read. Thank you.

Adding to SpinyShell's point about the name:
Someone said I should put this on a website called Reddit, I am a guy in Japan, so I can't use English websites.
Reddit isn't English-only - in fact, there's several Japanese subreddits out there.
They could have put Sword & Shield as a priority and had the best team working on the game but they didn't, instead they side lined Pokemon in favor of a new game and had their secondary team developing Pokemon. They didn't hire enough people to work on the game and treated it like it wasn't important.
Veritably false. Town did not have a very big team, and Pokemon was not at all sideline for it.
Some people are pretending not to notice these these things and are still looking through rose colored glasses (I hope I used that English phrase right).
Why would someone unfamiliar with English know about English metaphors? I took three years of French in high school and turns of phrase didn't even come up then, I have a hard time believing anyone would look up an English idiom just for one comment on the internet.
ありがとうございます
This long phrase is just "thank you". It's also, conveniently, the way Google translate tells you "thank you" is written in Japanese. But there's several different ways to write it, this is just one of the more polite ones. ありがとう is a simpler way to write it, and どうもありがとうございます is a formal "thank you very much". (I'm straight-up just reading these from How To Say Thank You In Japanese: The 9 Expressions You Need ) I find it just a little too convenient that this person chose to write "thank you" exactly how Google suggests that you do, instead of keeping it casual (like you would on an internet comment) or if they really wanted that extra formality, to go ahead and go the the extra mile.

sigh I know he's the art director, but can people stop blaming him for everything? This is getting stupid.
Yeah it's dumb. And besides, he didn't make all of those designs (which is i've been saying the whole time) and even then they aren't all trash. i happen to love almost all of them

Update; A Japanese fan posted some pictures of their Bayleef and Bayleef nail art, and wrote that they’re hoping to play with their Bayleef in SwSh...
Clearly someone unaware of Dexit and the fact that Bayleef didn’t make it in.

Usually Pokemon company and associates don’t pay attention to tweets, but Masuda actually retweeted it with a thanks, as if he doesn’t know very well that Bayleef isn’t even coded in the game.
I found that very insensitive to say the least, and borderline misinformation by raising a fan's tweet, only to crush their expectations when the games actually roll out with no Bayleef.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/1191630458582253568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1191630458582253568&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnintendosoup.com%2Fjapanese-pokemon-fans-slam-junichi-masuda-for-making-a-heartless-tweet-towards-another-fan%2F

Update; A Japanese fan posted some pictures of their Bayleef and Bayleef nail art, and wrote that they’re hoping to play with their Bayleef in SwSh...
Clearly someone unaware of Dexit and the fact that Bayleef didn’t make it in.

Usually Pokemon company and associates don’t pay attention to tweets, but Masuda actually retweeted it with a thanks, as if he doesn’t know very well that Bayleef isn’t even coded in the game.
I found that very insensitive to say the least, and borderline misinformation by raising a fan's tweet, only to crush their expectations when the games actually roll out with no Bayleef.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/1191630458582253568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1191630458582253568&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnintendosoup.com%2Fjapanese-pokemon-fans-slam-junichi-masuda-for-making-a-heartless-tweet-towards-another-fan%2F

yikes

well granted the datamine hasn't been done in swsh yet. they very well may hand out kanto starters in an event later

Poor Bayleef and Hathuurui-chan.

The previous YouTube comment is probably not from a Japanese person, but there are negative comments about Dexit on Matome, 2ch and probably Twitter and YouTube (in Japanese). It's escalated due to the Pokedex leak. And just because they're less in-your-face about being malcontent doesn't mean they're indifferent.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say just saying "thanks" is insensitive.

It's probably like I said before, they more than likely can't talk about Dexit and how it made them personally feel after Matsuda slipped during the Game Informer interview.

He also probably didnt read the tweet. I mean who would if you constantly get tagged with death threats. Seeing nail art was probably a break from all that. Doesn't mean he read the caption though.

I don't think "he probably just ignored their caption and left them with a false impression" is that much of a step up from "he read it and didn't tell them their Pokemon isn't in the game". He could have just said "Great art!", which is still a quick interaction that doesn't necessarily imply "Thanks for being excited about Bayleef in SwSh!"

Actually the way the tweet translates, the writer isn’t necessarily saying they are excited to use Bayleef in Sword and Shield. To me it suggests that Sword and Shield got them excited about Pokémon in general so they decided to do nail art of their favorite; regardless of its inclusion.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom