• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Without spoiling, how are the fossils? I've only seen a glimpse of them when I accidentally opened a spoiler tag so all I don't know anything about them barring their general color scheme, however, I've seen some negativity surrounding them.
my general reaction attitude is I don't like them. Disappointed but I kinda like one, and I am sure it will grow on me more over time.

Without spoiling, how are the fossils? I've only seen a glimpse of them when I accidentally opened a spoiler tag so all I don't know anything about them barring their general color scheme, however, I've seen some negativity surrounding them.
The new fossils are probably the weirdest thing of all gen 8's pokemon. Get ready for surprise. Just keep in your mind that James Turner and his design team didn't follow the traditional recipe and idea. I do think you're going to hate them.

might as well give my opinions on every single one:

Grookey: At first I was meh on it, but it's growing on me. Especially it's evos.
Thwackey: I don't really have an opinion on it.
Rillaboom: Really cool.
Scorbunny: used to be team scorbunny, just because i changed doesn't mean i don't love it; looks so cute and awesome
Raboot: easily the best out of all the middle stages this gen. so cute.
Cinderace: it's amusing how it's a glorified anime character.
Sobble: precious depression boi, love him.
Drizzle: Terrible name, however, i don't really have an opinion on it.
Intelleon: I like it. I like how it's sleek and modern and stuff. I like how it's more confident. I like how it looks flamboyant.
Wooloo: Precious sheepy.
Dubwool: a bit underwhelming but still fine i guess.
Rookidee and Corvisquire: meh.
Corvinight: the best early bird, not really saying anything since i don't really like those
Nickit: omg i love the fox so much :bulbaLove:
Thievul: Swiper no swiping :bulbaLove:
Yamper: it looks like a potato..
Boltund: i don't care for this one
Alcremie line: kawaii cake
Morpeko: used to be my fave, impidimp's better, so awesome
Chewtle: easily the worst, wtf is this
Drednaw: don't really like it
Hatenna: It looks so cute! :bulbaLove: looks like Ralts but from Kirby.
Hattrem: cute
Hattareene: definitely my favorite line
Cramorant: awesome
Arrocuda: meh
Sinistea: adorable!
Polteageist: I love it!
Cufant: meh
Toxtricity: love it!
Snom: great
Frosmoth: great
Centiscorch line: it's okay
Duraladon: it looks like a stapler
Indeedee: amazing!
Flapple line: yet again an awesome food line
Dreepy line: cool
Fossils: really only like zolts
Zacian and Zamazenta: meh
Eternatus: super cool
Impidimp: precious! i love him.
Impidimp evos: he's not cute anymore... I'm not evolving my impy boi
Galarian Zigzagoon and Linoone: cool
Obstagoon: super cool
Sirfectch'd: really like it
Galarian Ponyta: so cute!
Galarian Rapidash: don't really care for it. not as cute. no wings..
Galarian Mr. Mime: what even
Mr. Rime: WTF IS THAT
Galarian Corsola: amazing
Cursola: amazing
Galarian Stunfisk: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Galarian Yamask: cool
Runigerius: awesome

They appeal to a grotesque sense of humor, and are on the goofier side (think Blacephalon in terms of tone). If you're hoping for straight-laced, straightforward fossilmons like Tyrunt or Cranidos, that's not what these are.

I like them a lot. They have more personality than the others. Their colors are very vibrant too.
With the exception of one, I am not that fond of them. They are a bit......... goofy.
my general reaction attitude is I don't like them. Disappointed but I kinda like one, and I am sure it will grow on me more over time.
The new fossils are probably the weirdest thing of all gen 8's pokemon. Get ready for surprise. Just keep in your mind that James Turner and his design team didn't follow the traditional recipe and idea. I do think you're going to hate them.
They appeal to a grotesque sense of humor, and are on the goofier side (think Blacephalon in terms of tone). If you're hoping for straight-laced, straightforward fossilmons like Tyrunt or Cranidos, that's not what these are.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm a little disappointed that they're more goofy and not like the other fossils, but hopefully I'll grow to like their silliness. After all, Turtonator is a rather goofy Pokemon.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm a little disappointed that they're more goofy and not like the other fossils, but hopefully I'll grow to like their silliness. After all, Turtonator is a rather goofy Pokemon.
They also have kinda sad Dex entries, as in, the ones that almost say "you bastard" for using them.

TALK OF FOSSILS SPOILERS MAYBE
I'd note that the dex entries for the fossils are probably as falsly fabricated by scientists as their 'natural' forms themselves. Cuz we're not dealing with natural creatures. We're looking at four different pokemon split between two top and two bottom mix and matched fossils. These creatures never actually lived prior to fossil revival. Whoever wrote their pokedex entries were basically like "UHHH...THIS!" and pulling whatever seemed 'right' out their rear.

So basically what I'm saying is I'll probably never revive any Galarian Fossils because the region is too obsessed with sitting in stadiums watching pokemon get supersized by mysterious doings (in a league that's basically commercialized) to actually properly fund their sciences enough for them to have staff that actually give a complete fek about properly putting fossils together and are like "Yeah sure that looks like it works. Pop it into our god machine."

I'm having a LOT of fun world building this gen, y'all.

Last edited:

I believe that three of them are pretty good...but that last one needs to be put out of its misery.

My thoughts on the final batch & others:

• I'm disappointed by the heavy amount of pure types. At least they seem to compensate it by having good coverage.
  • I love Dottler, it's funny that I am very fond of the cocoon for two gens in a row. But Orbeetle...sigh. It has two things that I disliked from Vikavolt (its robotic eyes and disproportionate body) and also has an ugly face and an strange humanoid body. Disappointing.
  • Chewtle is great, I don't get why people hate it. I have to admit that I like it because it looks like a cross between Turtwig and Marshtomp.
  • Cufant is my favrotie design of this gen, and Copperajah does not disappoint. It's great to finally have a fully realized elephant. Its gigantamax is mediocre but at least I'm not obligated to use it.
  • Snom is my baby, it's like an small frozen Reuniclus dessert. Frosmoth is okay.
  • Stonjouner is like a Pokemon I'd design. 10/10.
  • Applin's design is questionable but I'm glad that we got more fruits and more split evos. Flapple is great.
  • Eiscue's concept isn't bad but the design could've been much better and natural.
  • Dragapult has cool colors and a good concept, and it would have a decent chance of growing on me...if it was on the middle of the dex and wasn't the pseudo. In my opinion it's too simple to deserve the title, it looks small and I don't get why it has that stance. It shouldn't have good speed if it always stands that way. It doesn't deserve its typing either, the idea of "invisible missils" work for a normal Pokémon but not for what's likely the only Dragon/Ghost pseudo in 20 years or so.
  • The idea behind the fossils is fantastic and smart, but like others I think the execution could've been better. The only one who embraces its situation and typing is Arctozolt, the others are 2 textbook definitions of abomination and one whale.
  • Does Gamefreak have a rule that regional forms have to be white, grey or black
    Rattata, Raticate, Vulpix, A-Meowth, Persian, Geodude, Graveler, Golem, Marowak, G-Meowth, Purrserker, Sirfetch'd, Weezing, Corsola, Cursola, Stunfisk, Zigzagoon, Linoone, Obstagoon, Darumaka, Darmanitan, Yamask, Runerigus
    and/or add hair somewhere on the head
    Rattata, Diglett, Dugtrio, Graveler, Golem, G-Meowth, Purrserker, Weezing, Mr. Rime, Darmanitan
    ? Those two patterns are impossible to ignore. However, I think that they're sightly better than the Alola forms, as there isn't anyone that I hate (I like the Corsola and Yamask lines) and they have the advantage of coming from multiple generations.

I mean, Dex entries are as up-to-interpretation as ever. We all know that its claims don't necessarily always comport to reality. Registeel's tells me that no one has any idea what it eats, and yet I know not only what my Registeel eats, but I even know what flavor profile it prefers.

@Nicolas721:
I'd probably like Chewtle more if we'd seen it before seeing Drednaw. Then it would at least be presented as a dopey-looking kiddo evolving into a badass, but I think seeing it in reverse just highlights the strange disparity in their proportions. Drednaw is certainly not the most photorealistic Pokémon ever, but it looks a lot more naturalistic than a balloon head on a tiny turtle body.

They're less straightforward than even Turtonator. I mean at least Turtonator based off a mata-mata which is just a goofy looking turtle in general. The fossils on the other hand are...uh...they have real life origins too...but it's different.

Old timey paleontology is one heck of an inspiration.

I think he's talking about older paleonthology.

I figured as much, which makes me even more worried. Featherless dinosaurs are barely tolerable, ugly 19th century ones are just awful. I wouldn't mind if the fossil lines started out similar to old timey depictions and then evolved into Pokemon that resembled more modern ones, but to have the whole line based on slurpasaurs is just... oof.

I figured as much, which makes me even more worried. Featherless dinosaurs are barely tolerable, ugly 19th century ones are just awful. I wouldn't mind if the fossil lines started out similar to old timey depictions and then evolved into Pokemon that resembled more modern ones, but to have the whole line based on slurpasaurs is just... oof.
Well...

They are based on the time people made dinosaurs up by combining different bones. They're weird as well.

Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no.

I can barely stand featherless dinosaurs as it is...
Start saving your tears, because you will need them on 15 November when the games come out. Get ready to cry a lot, because those new fossils are big step back. I'd like to see your thoughts on the new fossils, so, don't forget to post some stuff here on next week. It seems that you're one of the few ones here who didn't see all new pokemon. Good luck!

I'd note that the dex entries for the fossils are probably as falsly fabricated by scientists as their 'natural' forms themselves. Cuz we're not dealing with natural creatures. We're looking at four different pokemon split between two top and two bottom mix and matched fossils. These creatures never actually lived prior to fossil revival. Whoever wrote their pokedex entries were basically like "UHHH...THIS!" and pulling whatever seemed 'right' out their rear.

So basically what I'm saying is I'll probably never revive any Galarian Fossils because the region is too obsessed with sitting in stadiums watching pokemon get supersized by mysterious doings (in a league that's basically commercialized) to actually properly fund their sciences enough for them to have staff that actually give a complete fek about properly putting fossils together and are like "Yeah sure that looks like it works. Pop it into our god machine."

I'm having a LOT of fun world building this gen, y'all.
your comment reminds me of what this poketuber (who studies evolution at a university and loves fossils) said in his video. There was a time in paleontology in the 1800s called the bone wars. O.C. Marsh and Edward Drinker Cope were competitive with each other and they ended up naming animals that weren't real because the bones or fossils found they put together actually came from different animals. If I remember right I think this poketuber is a biologist. I think.

Cuz we're not dealing with natural creatures. We're looking at four different pokemon split between two top and two bottom mix and matched fossils. These creatures never actually lived prior to fossil revival. Whoever wrote their pokedex entries were basically like "UHHH...THIS!" and pulling whatever seemed 'right' out their rear.[/spoiler
That’s probably spoilers material...
probably should be in tags to be on the safer side.

I hope in future for fossils that are part rock like they were but with abilities that change form, type and stats during battle via hp or move...
would be more apealing. I know they died out but why make them weak? they could have died becsuse a big anomaly and not own weakness...

Hope the secondary and hidden abilities and movesets rescue the monotypes this generation.
Good stats isn't all...

Hmmm design wise they are 90% good some are too.

Gargoyle rock/ghost, mousketeer fighting/steel, harp fairy/steel, clock ghost/steel and my dragon/ghost immune to special attacks and a dark/psyhic shadow beast immune to physical moves will need to wait one more generation...

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom