• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good call. Considering the premise of episode 8, I bet episode 7 is about reuniting with Dawn and Brock in Sinnoh. They want that to be a surprise hence not revealing the title. If those really are a different Piplup and Craogunk that would just be downright mean. But remember these two actually are some of the few Pokemon to appear on both promotional posters, so they must be recurring characters rather than just filler mons. That alone makes me think they probably are THE Piplup an Croagunk.

That's also what makes me think episode 5's Snorlax is Ash's. It's featured so prominently on the first poster (next to the Kanto starters no less). That makes it pretty likely to be a recurring character as well, and if so would really only make sense for it to be Ash's. There's also the line from the blurb:

"Compared with Satoshi, the power is transmitted.", (referring to Snorlax). That translation is probably slightly off but it sounds to me like Snorlax achieves Dynamax through cooperation with Satoshi, much like how Mega Evolution worked.

I really doubt Episode 8 is related to Episode 7.

Episode 8 has the name of the region in its title. In previous summaries, when the name of the region appear in the title, it seems Ash and Go are arriving in that region (like Galar and Johto).

The Pokemon appearing in the poster could be just a reference that we will see these Pokemon in the early episodes. It doesn't necessarily mean they will be recurring characters.

Episode 5 is in Galar, then it's pretty likely that's a wild Snorlax.

Looking at the upcoming titles...yeah this seems to be exactly what I feared. Ash and Gou look like they're just gonna hop region to region every few episodes. I was happy were were getting 2 episodes in Galar, but now I see it's only to leap over to Johto in the following episode, then soar over to Sinnoh for what's probably just random filler after that. It all comes across as messy. We already knew Galar wasn't going to get the most focus, but I don't like just how little they're showing it off.

At this point I can only hope that the reason they aren't going to go too heavy into Galar right at the beginning is because they don't want to spoil too much before the viewers get to play through a bit of Sword and Shield. GF have been wanting to keep things a surprise for SwSh, I wouldn't be surprised if they asked the anime staff to not put too much focus on Galar until a bit later. But even I doubt that, and its really just wishful thinking on my part.

I also don't like how we already almost 10 titles and there's still no word on what Ash is doing. I get that Gou has equal importance to him and we need to focus on him too, but I really am not a fan of how there's not even a mention yet on if Ash is battle gyms or not. Nothing on any captures for him. It giving me SuMo vibes and I'm already nervous about Ash having no goal or motivation to do anything for another series in a row.

Either way, I guess I'll only be watching the Galar focused episodes. I still want to see the new Pokemon and characters animated, so I'll be waiting for that, if it ever happens. I can only hope Ash will take on the Galar League since I feel it'll be a huge missed opportunity if he doesn't.

The Dynamax thing happens in Galar not Kanto, so it's not Ash's Snorlax.
Why do people think it's impossible that Ash could travel to Galar with Snorlax? We have no reason to think he won't be using his reserves in this series, and from what we've seen it looks like they're interested in showing off his Kanto Pokemon more than the others. Not to mention he could just transfer Snorlax from a Pokemon Center in Galar very easily. I also don't think Dynamax is possible outside of Galar, so if Ash is going to use it it's going to be in Galar regardless. I don't really get the argument there.

Depending on the execution, I think going to different regions every once in awhile can work. I know that a lot of people expected mini arcs for each region and that could still happen, but I also think that setup could have made it harder to focus on Galar, as well as make it even easier to focus on Kanto for a long period of time. A lot of this would also depend on what Ash's goal for this series is exactly, but going from region to region could still work. I'm just kind of glad that Ash is traveling again, even if it is seemingly much faster and sporadic compared to previous journeys.

I'm gonna keep my hopes low and say that episode 7 is about Team Rocket catching new Pokemon. I don't think saying that there are many Pokemon suitable to them is a spoiler.

And Ash's goal could be revealed on Episode 4 or 5 while their plots happen. In fact, the reason why Snorlax receives the Dynamax power could be that Ash is battling someone important that will motivate him to take on the Gym Challenge.

Why do people think it's impossible that Ash could travel to Galar with Snorlax? We have no reason to think he won't be using his reserves in this series, and from what we've seen it looks like they're interested in showing off his Kanto Pokemon more than the others. Not to mention he could just transfer Snorlax from a Pokemon Center in Galar very easily. I also don't think Dynamax is possible outside of Galar, so if Ash is going to use it it's going to be in Galar regardless. I don't really get the argument there.
Why does Ash need Snorlax anyway? His mindset in every journey has been to start fresh with Pikachu ever since BW. The Thinking of him using reserves this series is just fanfic-tier imo.

His mindset in every journey has been to start fresh with Pikachu ever since BW.
Ash's mindset changes whenever the writers feel like it. Look at the way his personality shifts between series' as needed.
In Johto he brought his old party with him, then with AG the show put a bigger focus on marketing the newest game so he suddenly decided to dump everyone except Pikachu each region, something that I always thought felt very out of character for how he'd behaved in the past.
However, the new series is covering all regions and went back to being called "Pocket Monsters" instead of being named after the new games. Things are changing.

The Thinking of him using reserves this series is just fanfic-tier imo.
Sun and Moon had him going to school; that's literally a common fanfic plot.

Why does Ash need Snorlax anyway? His mindset in every journey has been to start fresh with Pikachu ever since BW. The Thinking of him using reserves this series is just fanfic-tier imo.
Your point would have been valid had it been a reboot or set only in Galar. But now that all the regions are being explored, it would be a waste of potential for him to not rotate reserves. Him catching Pokemon from Gen 1-7 would also be redundant as hell unless one of those Pokemon have a Gen 8 evolution/form.

I don't understand why you think it's even remotely close to "fanfic-tier" for him to rotate his Pokemon. He did it in Sinnoh and guess what? He was at his absolute best at the time.

Sun and Moon had him going to school; that's literally a common fanfic plot.

The school was irrelevant though.

Your point would have been valid had it been a reboot or set only in Galar. But now that all the regions are being explored, it would be a waste of potential for him to not rotate reserves. Him catching Pokemon from Gen 1-7 would also be redundant as hell unless one of those Pokemon have a Gen 8 evolution/form.

I don't understand why you think it's even remotely close to "fanfic-tier" for him to rotate his Pokemon. He did it in Sinnoh and guess what? He was at his absolute best at the time.

Ash didn't rotate Pokemon in Sinnoh. Gible was caught after Gliscor left, and old Pokemon were only used in the Sinnoh League for the purpose of promoting HGSS (which is why most of them were from Gen 2).

Ash didn't rotate Pokemon in Sinnoh. Gible was caught after Gliscor left, and old Pokemon were only used in the Sinnoh League for the purpose of promoting HGSS (which is why most of them were from Gen 2).
What I meant was that he used his reserves in the Sinnoh League, not rotated... but the main point still stands. The HGSS promotion was the entire Lyra arc and Dawn getting a Cyndaquil, not the Sinnoh League... so you're wrong on that count. He used a lot of non-Johto Pokemon during the League, if you paid attention.

On a different account, what reason do you think he could have to not rotate his reserves, especially for a series that's pretty much broken all the rules, traditions and constraints of the older formula, outside of "muh opinion"? Especially when the series is stated to be for new as well as old fans of the anime?

Because Ash is focusing primarily on battling in this series and Snorlax has always been a star player. Also that mindset to ditch Ash's older Pokemon only existed as way for the writers to show off the new region's Pokemon. As Galar isn't the main focus here, that trend has no reason to continue. Like I've said, if the plan was to have a full journey through Galar then I could see Ash only taking Pikachu, but now it makes no sense for the writers, or Ash himself, to adopt that mindset. Ash didn't catch new Kanto Pokemon in Battle Frontier, he used his reserves including many of his existing Kanto Pokemon (like Snorlax).

Think of it like this: Ash and Gou travel to Sinnoh. Ash has many Sinnoh Pokemon, while Gou has no Sinnoh Pokemon. Ash likes to battle while Gou likes to catch Pokemon. What do you think happens next?

Apparently, Go's androgynous appearance is intentional. What is that suppose to mean? Can someone translate that Daiki Yamashita interview to get the context?

Apparently, Go's androgynous appearance is intentional. What is that suppose to mean? Can someone translate that Daiki Yamashita interview to get the context?

Despite some sites reporting otherwise, all it is is that the text at the bottom of the interview says his appearance is androgynous, it's not in the actual interview itself.
Androgynous Pretty Boy Gou
Gou leaves an impression with his full-body silhouette and clean face. The red highlights in his hair are also androgynous and stylish. It's exactly the appearance suitable for a protagonist opening the new era.

I have seen an article about this. It does appear that this was their intention, to make an androgynous character. The article states that they wanted to make a character that identifies as neither male nor female and that Gou is an androgynous or non-binary character. I would like to get a full translation of the article myself, just because of how the article interchanges androgynous and non-binary. These days, androgyny tends to be more defined as someone who doesn't look like they fit in the gender binary, not someone who identifies outside of the gender binary.

Either way though, it does make me glad that Gou's androgynous design does seem to be intentional. Whether they are nb or not, it is great to see them going this route and actually showing some representation to this crowd of people.

Edit: Article Link
Gou Is Non-Binary In The Upcoming Pokemon Anime | NintendoSoup

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom