• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Honestly, I think the reason Charizard is getting all of this cool stuff compared to it's Kanto Starter Brothers is because of how popular it is.

Bulbasaur is pretty popular too though. Honestly it might even succeed Charizard in the coming years.

Which has started to turn people against it. This why overexposure is never a good thing.

Eh, people have been "turning against" Pikachu for years now for the same reason, and what has it changed? The iconic Pokémon are always going to be loved by the vast majority.

Poor poor Charizard. pets

I know it's not your fault. They just keep giving you stuff and now everyone hates you.
This is giving me such a sad mental image now.

Charizard: Woah, I love my new GMax form! I can't wait to fight Blastoise and Venusaur in their GMax forms!
Generic NPC so I can criticize Game Freak without making them seem like monsters: Actually, Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur don't have GMax forms.
Charizard: Oh...Well, I bet they'll still be happy to hear about it when I tell them at Camp, right?
NPC: Um.
Charizard: :)
NPC: So, you know about the dex cut?
Charizard: :(

This is giving me such a sad mental image now.

Charizard: Woah, I love my new GMax form! I can't wait to fight Blastoise and Venusaur in their GMax forms!
Generic NPC so I can criticize Game Freak without making them seem like monsters: Actually, Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur don't have GMax forms.
Charizard: Oh...Well, I bet they'll still be happy to hear about it when I tell them at Camp, right?
NPC: Um.
Charizard: :)
NPC: So, you know about the dex cut?
Charizard: :(

We need a sad react

#CutTypeNullDelibirdAndTheOddishLineForSquirtleAndBulba

We need a sad react

#CutTypeNullDelibirdAndTheOddishLineForSquirtleAndBulba

Wait, Type: Null and Silvally made it? Forget Bulbasaur and Squirtle.

Jokes aside, I’m honestly not that upset about those two lines not making it, relatively speaking. Their inclusion would only feel forced and I’d much rather have more underrepresented Pokémon in their place. Though I guess Oddish has no business being in Galar either considering it’s a more tropical Pokémon.

Bulbasaur is pretty popular too though. Honestly it might even succeed Charizard in the coming years.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

I doubt it.

Charizard and Greninja have shown to be the 2 most marketable starters. Charizard even better cause he has done it over a large span of years. I doubt Bulbasaur will suddenly catch up to that marketability. You know, market working 101 and all that.

Like, the only reason Bulbasaur and Squirtle will grow in popularity (Which will probably also be under the hardcore fandom) is that they are salty that Charizard gets stuff again and not because Squirtle and Bulbasaur are legitimately liked for what they are. But for people that aren't as hardcore or as big into the fandom, I doubt it will cause they just see cool stuff like Charizard.

They'll fix it eventually. I am sure.
Given the yet new interview on the matter, I’m doubtful.

They’re not naive, they knew what blacklash would’ve waited for them with the Dexit and only 400 Pokémon to have in Galar. Unless the games would plummet down in sales I don’t think they have any intention of changing stance.

It is so weird how adamant they are about this. Especially considering they really don't appear happy with how this turned out. This is arguably the biggest backlash they have gotten over a decision. I have a feeling this and the fact that they went back to generic third versions in Gen 7, indicates that there is some pressure on them to churn out games every year.

Personally, I don't care that much about charizard. I don't hate the Pokemon either, even with this desicion.

What I don't like is the severe amount of pandering and privilaging Game Freak decided to give the starter - To a point that it was the only past starter to have made it into the games.

In the fandom, starter pokemon are about separating players into camps, and optionally forming rivalries. The game has you select 1 of 3 of these pokemon, and your choice has a reason - whether it is for ingame performance, typing, and most oftenly, aesthetics. It's a big first impression that dictates teambuilding and much of how players work though much of the beginning of the game.

When any generation unveils their starters, there's always a cult of fighting over which starter is best. Look at this forum: Most people here have fan labels below their avatars on the most recent starters to show our favoritism. Stuff like, "PROTECT CRYBABY LORD WITH ALL OUR HEART! #SobbleGangz" appears on social media. Creating a starter rivalry is serious business for gamefreak, and works to generate hype towards the games, even months before they release.

Which comes back to the charizard situation: Because only the charmander line is coded in, yet not the other two, it seems like Game Freak is telling us charizard won the original fight, even though there really is a huge fanbase for the other 2 lines.

"Charizard is the best starter" --Game Freak

Thus, the oldest fan rivalry of starters awakens again - and simply intensified this grim backlash towards dexit.

looks at spoiler
I see.

HOWEVER, when was the last time Charmander (and by extension, Bulbasaur and Squirtle) was pickable as a starter at the start of a game? If I recall, it was Leafgreen and Firered. Sure you get a choice in Xand Y, but at this point, is it really a problem? The way I see it, only Gen 1 (Red and Blue) and the remakes have a right to call Charmander and co. Starters. All other times (in my opinion anyway) they are simply gift Pokemon. Heck, does Sycamore refer to the three as sarters when he lets you pick one in X and Y?

looks at spoiler
I see.

HOWEVER, when was the last time Charmander (and by extension, Bulbasaur and Squirtle) was pickable as a starter at the start of a game? If I recall, it was Leafgreen and Firered. Sure you get a choice in Xand Y, but at this point, is it really a problem? The way I see it, only Gen 1 (Red and Blue) and the remakes have a right to call Charmander and co. Starters. All other times (in my opinion anyway) they are simply gift Pokemon. Heck, does Sycamore refer to the three as sarters when he lets you pick one in X and Y?
The term starter is not really used in the games if I recall correctly. Also, that doesn't take away the fact that it is horribly unfair to the other two.

Someone suggested a choice from the most popular Grass starter ever, the most popular Fire starter ever, and the most popular Water starter ever. The idea being that they're all from different generations.

looks at spoiler
I see.

HOWEVER, when was the last time Charmander (and by extension, Bulbasaur and Squirtle) was pickable as a starter at the start of a game? If I recall, it was Leafgreen and Firered. Sure you get a choice in Xand Y, but at this point, is it really a problem?
What do you mean, is it really a problem? Bulbasaur and Squirtle also weren't receivable at the start of a game since FRLG, and they're not in SwSh. There are hundreds of Pokemon that have never been chosable as starter options that aren't in SwSh. "It's been a while since this could be your first Pokemon" isn't enough of a reason for these Pokemon to be in the dex, so why should it be a non-issue for Chamander to be in without its counterparts?

The way I see it, only Gen 1 (Red and Blue) and the remakes have a right to call Charmander and co. Starters. All other times (in my opinion anyway) they are simply gift Pokemon.

Why does being called a starter matter so much? We can change it around to "out of all trios of Pokemon that were at some point starters, only Charmander is allowed in SwSh". That doesn't really change the issue. The issue is that the Chamander line can be transferred to SwSh, while no other Pokemon with a similar role can.

With what current information is available it seems like the size of the Galar dex is significantly for wanting to have both an in-game and metagame experience with a streamlined (but still large) number of game "pieces".

It is still somehow going to be like playing a very complex version of chess with hundreds of different types of pieces, and being able to configure them in multitudes of ways such that all of the options may not ever even happen!
It may serve to make both experiences more memorable and distinct, that lots of Pokemon new and old will find themselves in different, and perhaps more frequently changing roles!
That may be part of it too, for the online experience to become mostly new;
so that totally new or mostly new players are not going to be logging on and finding themselves in a meta that is largely built from the earlier Gens.

That being said, it feels hopeful that Smogon/Pokemon Showdown will after however many months of much research and planning, be able to make a gameplay mode that includes every Pokemon..!!

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom