• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pool - Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

• Total voters
I'm going to buy the games after all I decided, both versions. Not because I am excited to play them, but because I am bored with the games I currently have.

Boredom is a powerful motivator.

Yeah... It’s also the case that I haven’t had a new game to play I ages. My Switch has collected a lot of dust this year.

Luigi’s Mansion 3 looks great, but I can only get one game right now.

So, after the datamine I decided I'm def not gonna get these games on release, and maybe never. I'll see what happens in the future. DLC or an enhanced version might convince me to get it in the future, but I'm not in a rush to spend 60 euros on SwSh. And it's a pity, cause there are a lot of cool and interesting new designs, and even the ones I didn't like very much are made better by the dex entries I read. The Wild Area seems very interesting, the Campsite feature seems fun, and although I didn't see myself using D-Max much, I do think it would be fun to play around with.

But all the negative developments are just adding up and the positive aspects just don't counterbalance it for me. That said, I hope people who will get the game will enjoy it plenty

So, after the datamine I decided I'm def not gonna get these games on release, and maybe never. I'll see what happens in the future. DLC or an enhanced version might convince me to get it in the future, but I'm not in a rush to spend 60 euros on SwSh. And it's a pity, cause there are a lot of cool and interesting new designs, and even the ones I didn't like very much are made better by the dex entries I read. The Wild Area seems very interesting, the Campsite feature seems fun, and although I didn't see myself using D-Max much, I do think it would be fun to play around with.

But all the negative developments are just adding up and the positive aspects just don't counterbalance it for me. That said, I hope people who will get the game will enjoy it plenty
You, sir, are the most polite basher of the games I have ever seen, and I commend you for it.

You, sir, are the most polite basher of the games I have ever seen, and I commend you for it.
Thanks

I guess it helps I don't think the games will be inherently awful. I just can't justify spending the amount of money they cost to myself, especially when the Switch library offers so many other great games. Like, srsly the switch has a really good library that just continues growing. In world with unlimited time and funds, I would get a copy of these games, but alas

i've decided not to. at the start i was very excited for the games, they looked really promising, but what they have shown so far (and a bit of what i've seen in leaks) makes them look very rushed and overall they feel like downgrades compared to past gens. yet they cost more than usual. i just don't think they're worth the money, and i'm also rather disappointed with all the functions they seem to have cut, including a lot of past pokémon. i'm also not a big fan of the new pokémon designs nor trainer designs (with a few exceptions).

Seeing your and Dieter's comments makes me wonder if SwSh will parallel X and Y in a way with good ideas, but rushed execution. It is the first major core console Pokemon game after all.
This is exactly what I was thinking earlier. I also skipped XY at first, only getting it after ORAS.

XY didn't get an enhanced version though... SuMo on the other hand got TWO. So I have no clue what GF's plans might be for the future, but if they're still aiming to do yearly releases, a SwSh 2, or I dunno, Pokemon Bow Version or whatever would not be surprising

The removal of half of the pokemon was the final straw for me. I tolerated for years Gamefreak just cutting features between generations instead of improving them in future games (and i'm still pissed about no Battle Frontier on ORAS), but now they are outright cutting pokemon out of the games. That to me is going too far. And this is not like the previous generations where you couldn't get every pokemon in them but there was guarantee that would you get them in a few months. They haven't said anything about the pokemon removed returning in a future game or update.

This just got worse with the logic used to justify pokemon being removed. And if they can just remove pokemon now willingly, now i have to be wary if any of the future games have all pokemon. They can just add the missing pokemon in a future game, but then in the game after they again remove pokemon again. The certainity that at least every pokemon are in the games is pretty much gone and it's terrible that is gone.

I'm not buying any main series games until they say every pokemon are in the games. I don't care if Sword and Shield are the best games in the series from a content and mechanical standpoint, those don't matter to me if the pokemon themselves are not all in the game.

And i don't say this lightly because this franchise has been one of the most important to me.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I was thinking earlier. I also skipped XY at first, only getting it after ORAS.

XY didn't get an enhanced version though... SuMo on the other hand got TWO. So I have no clue what GF's plans might be for the future, but if they're still aiming to do yearly releases, a SwSh 2, or I dunno, Pokemon Bow Version or whatever would not be surprising
I've seen someone mention that SwSh apparently has a very closed story where they couldn't expand on it, and that there are apparently move tutors in the games as well. So maybe SwSh will not get a third version. Of course, this is all based upon flimsy evidence.

They haven't said anything about the pokemon removed returning in a future game

Actually, they have. I believe it was said during the original Treehouse livestream.

The removal of half of the pokemon was the final straw for me. I tolerated for years Gamefreak just cutting features between generations instead of improving them in future games (and i'm still pissed about no Battle Frontier on ORAS), but now they are outright cutting pokemon out of the games. That to me is going too far. And this is not like the previous generations where you couldn't get every pokemon in them but there was guarantee that would you get them in a few months. They haven't said anything about the pokemon removed returning in a future game or update.

This just got worse with the logic used to justify pokemon being removed. And if they can just remove pokemon now willingly, now i have to be wary if any of the future games have all pokemon. They can just add the missing pokemon in a future game, but then in the game after they again remove pokemon again. The certainity that at least every pokemon are in the games is pretty much gone and it's terrible that is gone.

I'm not buying any main series games until they say every pokemon are in the games. I don't care if Sword and Shield are the best games in the series from a content and mechanical standpoint, those don't matter to me if the pokemon themselves are not all in the game.

And i don't say this lightly because this franchise has been one of the most important to me.
So you will never buy another game in the series again.

I've seen someone mention that SwSh apparently has a very closed story where they couldn't expand on it, and that there are apparently move tutors in the games as well. So maybe SwSh will not get a third version. Of course, this is all based upon flimsy evidence.
I haven't really checked out the story, so I wouldn't know about that. Also aren't the TRs the new Move Tutors?

Ans agreed that based on that, a 3rd version might not happen. It's not like I necessarily want one. But I can't see them releasing a remake next year either. So maybe they'll take more time to develop the next games? And abandon the yearly release schedule? I really dunno what to expect... I mean, I could see em skip a year considering 2021 will be the 25th anniversary. And just releasing some kind of DLC bundle in 2020

I found a picture on reddit that pretty much summarizes my feelings

Except the Wild Area, I don't really know quite enough about that

From what I've seen, they're bought in the Wild Area.

So they will be bought with Watts, that special currency you get from Max Raid Battles, I presume. If that's the case, it's a little disappointing as I'm not too keen on Max Raid Battles.

How are they being "held hostage." You can't hold something hostage if you have no plans of giving it back.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom