• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my two cents, but given the technical problems and glitches in the games, I’d say it’s quite likely GF had development problems with the games. Whether it’s the passing towards HD/Switch, or the project being originally on 3DS, or something else, we don’t know.

And true, some decision might be indipedant from those problems, but give the latter, it is possible they’d fare better with the possible remakes or Gen 9.

I do think that they need to get off some of their outdated ideas on difficulty levels and similar things.
I think they've even said in interviews that it was very hard, so I'm sure development definitely had some difficulties.

But oof yeah on the difficulty- their whole "players can create their own difficulty" wasn't inaccurate- Nuzlockes exist for a reason, but they entirely fucked that up with mandatory Exp. Share and this whole "Well if you only want to train one pokemon, just box the rest" thing. Like... okay... I'm not one of those people who tries to make the game harder but even I can see why that doesn't work.

At this point I kind of wonder if this is why the anime isn't set in just Galar like all the previous series were. By setting in the entire known poke-world, that gives enough birth to delay the next mainline game much like Orange Islands did with extending Kanto while Pokemon 2 became Gold and Silver.

Maybe the idea for the anime came about early in development when they realized that after 3 years of releases in a row, they couldn't foreseeably keep that up while also developing a new game.

Pokemon is a big multimedia cash cow. Nintendo can't exactly do the same thing they did with Animal Crossing: New Horizons without throwing everything out of wack. That much is true. But what they can do is, if caught early, okay changes to the media that relies on the games. Like if SwSh was in development since SM...That's more than enough time to let them know "Hey, we probably need a small break after this." or something which would give the anime writers time to brain storm how to get around going straight to Galar.

Yeah I could see that... but the irony is that the big multi-region anime focus which is amazing for the anime series in general, comes at a time when half of the Pokemon are missing from SwSh, again.

Not trying to tread on the same ground again but, even for newcommers to the series/games, imagine a kid seeing a Pokemon they loved in an episode only to either be waiting on SwSh for their birthday/christmas/ect and to find that said Pokemon.. isn't even in the game.

And at this point, I doubt they have a list from GF of Pokemon "not to include" in this anime season just so it doesn't strike up some form of controversy; say a Pokemon cut from SwSh, got a big focus in the new season, but isn't in SwSh at all.

^ and that's kinda my point, the argument/cause for concern if that did or didn't happen shouldn't be there anyway, because dexit didn't HAVE to happen. The whole thing just becomes a domino effect.

I guarantee you not one fan (at least that I know of), had you said 2/3 years ago that they'd halve the Nat dex in a mainline game would ever say "thats a great idea, I'd like that". And so then the question becomes, who's idea was it initially, really? There's no hard evidence of who the blame goes to as GF came out and said it was a mutual decision between them, Nintendo and TPCI (I believe), and that's where I think peoples real anger comes and will keep coming from if they don't at least try and rectify this truly ODD situation.

The point is vzry simple: by removing features and things fans like, it makes fans less excited or just sad because like the GTS, a thing that is in the games since DP if I remember it correctly, is removed after 10 years. I get it that you want to stay fresh, but removing things that made your franchise iconic isnt a good idea. That is why removing Pokémon, while the reason is understandable, still is a bad idea. I am a fan, but I am year after years less excited about the games, they start to bore me and don't make me feel hyped anymore. I honestly disnt felt a thing for dynamaxing and I still don't.

The only thing the GTS was iconic for were the memes of wanting a Level 8 Legendary or stuff that isn't in the game.

Sounds more like people are scared of change.

I think they've even said in interviews that it was very hard, so I'm sure development definitely had some difficulties.

But oof yeah on the difficulty- their whole "players can create their own difficulty" wasn't inaccurate- Nuzlockes exist for a reason, but they entirely fucked that up with mandatory Exp. Share and this whole "Well if you only want to train one pokemon, just box the rest" thing. Like... okay... I'm not one of those people who tries to make the game harder but even I can see why that doesn't work.
Yep, it’s a completely dumb statement. It makes zero sense given that unless you are doing a solo challenge, everyone plans and loves to build around a team, whether it’s story mode, monotypes, or nuzlockes, or more.

The exp thing and pacing issues could’ve easily resolved with toggles on exp share and exp catching. While the game wouldn’t have been necessarily hard, it wouldn’t have forced the player to adopt certain measures to not overlevel. I’ll have to basically just catch my team Pokémon and a few reserves, in fear of getting too much leveling.

Something I’d like to have is that gym leaders all have 6 Pokémon, but the gym battles are 3 vs 3 singles, and you don’t know which ones they’ll choose.

The only thing the GTS was iconic for were the memes of wanting a Level 8 Legendary or stuff that isn't in the game.

It's not being "scared of change" about the GTS being gone when it was actually pretty useful aside from the obviously broken aspects that just needed to be fixed.

I think it's near certain most of the criticisms are addressed with gen 9. People keep saying that "oh well the games will sell well so nothing will change" but historically, gamefreak has been known to implement fan feedback.

And then the bigger reasoning here: gamefreak/nintendo definitely is aware of the backlash. Masuda and Turner are on twitter a lot and a lot of the hate tweets and graphical criticisms, fan grips, etc have easily reached 2K + interactions, etc. This is in addition to their mentions being filled with angry people, and some of the trailers from this pre-release getting insane amounts of dislike ratios. I don't think anything this big has ever occured with a game launch in nintendo's sphere, and they know that. Sw/Sh may sell well, and I'm sure they'll be good anyways, but this pre-release has certainly damaged perception of the brand even if it's only by a little bit.

I think it's near certain most of the criticisms are addressed with gen 9. People keep saying that "oh well the games will sell well so nothing will change" but historically, gamefreak has been known to implement fan feedback.

And then the bigger reasoning here: gamefreak/nintendo definitely is aware of the backlash. Masuda and Turner are on twitter a lot and a lot of the hate tweets and graphical criticisms, fan grips, etc have easily reached 2K + interactions, etc. This is in addition to their mentions being filled with angry people, and some of the trailers from this pre-release getting insane amounts of dislike ratios. I don't think anything this big has ever occured with a game launch in nintendo's sphere, and they know that. Sw/Sh may sell well, and I'm sure they'll be good anyways, but this pre-release has certainly damaged perception of the brand even if it's only by a little bit.

I don’t know, honestly. A large portion of my brain is telling me that nothing will ever change...but I guess we’ll see.

One thing’s for sure, though: this is gonna be a long generation.

I don’t know, honestly. A large portion of my brain is telling me that nothing will ever change...but I guess we’ll see.

One thing’s for sure, though: this is gonna be a long generation.

stuff like linearity probably wont change because it's intentional design on their part, but I can see the next games being a bigger step forward, having more polish, bigger dex, etc because of all of this.

Only trouble is...what the hell am I gonna do with my life after that?
This might be a rhetorical question and it's definitely hard to answer, but I'll give it a shot:

1. Try other JRPGs if you've never tried anything but Pokemon. Digimon, Ni no Kuni, Yokai Watch (2-4) and Persona 5 come to mind. The monsters certainly aren't as appealing as Pokemon (for hardcore fans of the latter, anyway), but the gameplay and presentation might make up for it.

2. Try other game genres that might make you forget about Pokemon, at least temporarily. I like adventure games and visual novels, and I ironically got into them not long before XY's release. I've still spent too much time thinking about Pokemon since then, but to a lesser extent.

3. This might be cheesy, but don't rely on media consumption for your satisfaction in life. You have to rely on yourself first and foremost.

61 thousand messages on this forum alone for people using the GTS to trade. The GTS had far more purpose than just ridiculous requests. It was the only way to plan a trade with someone that you couldn't meet up with in person.

EDIT: Okay so I'm making a big mistake here and forgetting about 3DS friend codes lmao. Not all of these are people using the GTS, some of them are swapping friendcodes. Still, if you were in conflicting timezones, didn't have any empty friend slots, or were trading on the DS, you'd need the GTS.

Last edited:
stuff like linearity probably wont change because it's intentional design on their part, but I can see the next games being a bigger step forward, having more polish, bigger dex, etc because of all of this.
I think linearity might loosen up some, though, and the Wild Area will probably start to take over the rest of the region (in terms of open areas and free camera anyway)

It may be the optimistic side of me saying this, but I’m hopeful for future games on the Switch.

Most first entries of new consoles tend to have some flaws, after all. For example, DP were plagued by obnoxious backtracking and had issues like long saving times. However, Platinum and especially HGSS were much better in terms of graphics and has plenty of improvements in various areas compared to the “beta game”. A similar thing happened with XY compared to SM, with the latter implementing the various aspects of the 3DS and pushing the engine to its limits.

Sure, you could argue that LGPE were the first games, but those games were more spinoff than anything, and even the art direction was different compared to a “classic” game.

Maybe SwSh will be a “failure”, but they will still be an experience for GF, which will surely use what they’ve learned both during the programming and with fans feedback to create better games that will better make use of the capabilities of the Switch.

With this said, I’m sure I’m going to enjoy Sword and Shield for what they are, and I’m not ashamed to say that I’ll play them, nor should people threaten or insult me for that. I’ve made my choice and they have made theirs, and we all should respect our respective choices and opinions.

View attachment 128415
61 thousand messages on this forum alone for people using the GTS to trade. The GTS had far more purpose than just ridiculous requests. It was the only way to plan a trade with someone that you couldn't meet up with in person.
You use the Eevee Pride Design?

I think linearity might loosen up some, though, and the Wild Area will probably start to take over the rest of the region (in terms of open areas and free camera anyway)

It’s also worth mentioning that it’s their first try on an open area, and it might’ve affected the other routes as well (expecially if they had development issues).

I like this idea. I don't want the wild area in future games because I feel like a bit of the routes suffer for it ("if we have a giant expanse of land in the middle of the map then nobody will care how linear the routes are" -_-) but it's overall feel can be applied to routes (especially the controllable camera!) which would be pretty much what I wanted out of these games. Visually I think the wild area is kinda meh too while a lot of the routes and towns in this game are straight up gorgeous

It may be the optimistic side of me saying this, but I’m hopeful for future games on the Switch.

Most first entries of new consoles tend to have some flaws, after all. For example, DP were plagued by obnoxious backtracking and had issues like long saving times. However, Platinum and especially HGSS were much better in terms of graphics and has plenty of improvements in various areas compared to the “beta game”. A similar thing happened with XY compared to SM, with the latter implementing the various aspects of the 3DS and pushing the engine to its limits.

Sure, you could argue that LGPE were the first games, but those games were more spinoff than anything, and even the art direction was different compared to a “classic” game.

Maybe SwSh will be a “failure”, but they will still be an experience for GF, which will surely use what they’ve learned both during the programming and with fans feedback to create better games that will better make use of the capabilities of the Switch.

With this said, I’m sure I’m going to enjoy Sword and Shield for what they are, and I’m not ashamed to say that I’ll play them, nor should people threaten or insult me for that. I’ve made my choice and they have made theirs, and we all should respect our respective choices and opinions.

hell yeah. honestly as of this week the pre-release and social media had sucked any excitement I had due to constant discourse, but yesterday's trailer reminded me that at the end of the day I still love the games anyways and will enjoy this despite any flaws it may have. I enjoyed USUM and this looks better to me, so I'm happy nonetheless.

wonders, will they get to the point of not making new pokemon to help appease the fans and work on trying to keep all pokemon in whatever future games?
I know it sounds crazy but eh..
perhaps they will change up the games alot more if they did. new pokemon is a strong selling point... and i know it won't really appease fans but eh..

wonders, will they get to the point of not making new pokemon to help appease the fans and work on trying to keep all pokemon in whatever future games?
I know it sounds crazy but eh..
perhaps they will change up the games alot more if they did. new pokemon is a strong selling point... and i know it won't really appease fans but eh..
There'd still be backlash, and I think it might be as big, if not bigger, then Dexit.
And they'd never go for it, as merchandising almost dictates them to come up with new Pokèmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom