• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201906/13177936.html

In other words, they straight up lied about building each new model from scratch. Truly, is it any wonder why people are outraged.

Either that or it was a mistranslation. Like, what would even be the point of doing something so stupid? Surely they would’ve realized that dataminers would discover that this wasn’t the case..

Either that or it was a mistranslation. Like, what would even be the point of doing something so stupid? Surely they would’ve realized that dataminers would discover that this wasn’t the case..
or they literally just rebuilt it the exact same way all over again. idk why that's so unfathomable to people. esp considering that the only reason that a rebuild would've been necessitated would've due to proprietary engines

It's been run through professional translators so we know that it wasn't a mistranslation per se but I do wonder if it wasn't possibly something lost in translation (a phrase used differently over there) or if it wasn't simply misworded.

I mean, either a)they reused the models and lied about making things from scratch, or b) did make things from scratch and for some reason made new models...that have negligible nearly non-existent changes. :confused: Either way, it's disappointing.

I remember reading it could've been a slight exaggeration - not necessarily from scratch, but from a very early stage. Considering how they said that the dex removal would help with higher quality, it's probably just a lie, though

I wonder how much the game will sell this time. Are the fans really that mad? Or maybe it’s just the minority...
Definitely a minority. This is a children's game above all else; think of all the family members oblivious to this controversy that will still go out and purchase these games this holiday season.

I wonder how much the game will sell this time. Are the fans really that mad? Or maybe it’s just the minority...

I’m worried about what will happen if they don’t. Like it or not, SwSh have introduced many things fans would be salivating over if not for the negatives. If these games don’t sell well...what will happen to those? Will we get ANOTHER downgrade like with BW2 to XY? If that happens, I won’t be able to live with it.

It's already been proven shadows are a seperate texture when they were previously one sheet.

They more than likely meant that they were redoing all of the textures and not models but it was very badly worded.

Also where is the Yakuza video that showed that even Sega reuses their wireframes?

Black and White had much backlash surrounding it at the time due to forcing players to only play with new Pokemon, albeit temporarily.
From what I recall, they are coincidentally the lowest selling flagship games for any generation. Take what you will.
These games will probably sell well, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're going to see another BW situation on the horizon.

Last edited:
They'll probably sell just fine. These games have the first open world area in the series with a free roaming camera and while the models are all kind of subpar, the world looks phenomenal and far more immersive than past titles. It has a lot more going for it than it does against it, just from a first impression standpoint. It's the people who really look into a game before buying and feel the pros don't outweigh the cons who are going to impact the sales in any way and that is quite a minority.

or they literally just rebuilt it the exact same way all over again. idk why that's so unfathomable to people. esp considering that the only reason that a rebuild would've been necessitated would've due to proprietary engines

A commenter from the reddit post literally overlayed example models on top of one another to prove that the vert's were point for point indentical. I've never seen any 3d modeler that could remake models with that precision.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dvimmr/leak_confirmed_models_are_reused/

I'm not surprised at all about this, but I recall some oddly vague translated interview months ago about the models being """"""remade"""""" by Game Freak.

...Ooof. :/
Man, to think just months ago we were hearing stuff like
Polygons, bones, details. There's a lot that goes into models for games and even more if you have means to improve them. Again I'm not expert but have looked into how models are made a little, and it's no super simple.
They’re not just the same models though. Too many keep saying they have the models from let’s go and usum but they don’t. They’re improving and remaking. Te current ones are different, more detailed, more unique. They are massively different.

I mean, either a)they reused the models and lied about making things from scratch, or b) did make things from scratch and for some reason made new models...that have negligible nearly non-existent changes. :confused: Either way, it's disappointing.
Or c), the Famitsu interview was poorly translated. It's still frustrating-there's even less reason to cut Pokemon when you're using old models, and it just further shows how poorly the communication was on the issue. (Like Masuda's statement that didn't say anything, or how apparently this wasn't explained much to the Japanese audience) But we don't have to brand Ohmori a liar for it.

I’m worried about what will happen if they don’t. Like it or not, SwSh have introduced many things fans would be salivating over if not for the negatives. If these games don’t sell well...what will happen to those? Will we get ANOTHER downgrade like with BW2 to XY? If that happens, I won’t be able to live with it.
Maybe we’ll get a third version with all the improvements fans want? Like I don’t know how hard it is to include all Pokémon? Is it really not doable like they claim it is? I wish I could ask someone who works in animation or something. I am curious.

Maybe we’ll get a third version with all the improvements fans want? Like I don’t know how hard it is to include all Pokémon? Is it really not doable like they claim it is? I wish I could ask someone who works in animation or something. I am curious.

Great idea -- except people will complain that SwSh came out as they did in the first place, just like with USUM.

Hell, let's see them make TWO versions that barely change much of anything, just like with USUM. That'll really solve everything!

Gah...I can't believe this. My belief in this franchise that I've held for 18 long years...is dead.

Pokemon Sword and Shield are going to sell fine. They might be receiving a lot of backlash online right now, but the games are also open to a whole different demographic of people, people who own a Nintendo Switch. These are not just Pokemon fans, but general Nintendo fans, or even just families who have a Console that mainly features games to kids demographic.

The games are still in the Top 5 Bestselling Video Games on Amazon (US), ranking at #2 for Pokemon Sword and #5 for Shield. I think they're going to be fine.

A commenter from the reddit post literally overlayed example models on top of one another to prove that the vert's were point for point indentical. I've never seen any 3d modeler that could remake models with that precision.
neat! they'd've been made by the same people (or team/group) that made them the first time though so i'm sure whatever modelers' experiences you're pulling from aren't quite applicable
right now it's certainly doable. they're simply ripping off a bandaid, however.

Honestly? I hope it serves as a form of a wake-up call to higher-ups at TCPi that yearly Pokemon releases are a mistake, or to at least let flagship titles for generations have a longer gestation period. I firmly believe that SwSh would have gotten so much more polished if they had worked on it for another year. I know they need to keep the wheels churning for other aspects of the franchise, but I know they can find ways to prolong the lifespan of a Generation, at least they can afford to do it.

Last edited:
Honestly? I really hope it serves as a form of a wake up call to higher ups at TCPI that yearly Pokemon releases are a mistake, or at least let flagship titles for generations to have a longer gestation period. I firmly believe that SwSh would have gotten so much more polished if they had worked on it for another year. I know they need to keep the wheels churning for other aspects of the franchise, but I know they can find ways to prolong the lifespan of a Generation, at least they can afford to do it.
TPCi'd love to take your wake up call but they're too busy counting their money from merchandise sales (let alone whatever Masters and Go are bringing in)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom