• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Why is the reception for Sword and Shield so polarizing?

So yeah, because of me, cause I think I'm mostly the one heating things

I felt TechSkylander1518 was also heating things too. And I'll admit I heated up things as well.

But it seems like we've all calmed down a bit and become more level-headed.

Yeah, I'm really sad the main-console debut of the main pokemon games is muddied by so much controversy.

I'm still super excited for the games myself. My dislikes are really more petty I hate the sports focus on the gyms and the fact there's apparently not an elite four and just more sporty feeling junk like in the anime. Galar's not gonna be looking too good in my personal headcanon universe. xD

Is there any proof of tampering? All I see is just the stream clip and an accusing tweet, but that means nothing if there isn't any evidence proving (or disproving) the fact that it has been tampered with.

Same guy gave himself a bunch of master balls

Also this is apparently the stream where the game kept crashing and softlocking due to the hack.

Dude you have to have noticed when I post you're not too far behind, you either say something
Here, let's run a search and look at every post of yours since yesterday that I did not quote:
Wait isn't the 5th gym in Glimwood Tangle? Cause that place is beautiful looking what's he talking about?
The games are rated E for everyone, so the games of course appeals to all ages, but we're acting like the games should mainly be for us, and children should be an afterthought.
Did you ever think that maybe when they said that they didn't means starting with this game? Even though this game does have some great animations but I guess those don't cause There's a bad one huh?
To be fair WE were those children they used to focus on too. And because we're not anymore doesn't the series has to ignore every other kid they can bring in, cause we can't live forever. And sure as heck pokemon won't either
But don't you feel a bit better about the negatives not overflowing your constant thought? Able to power through through tough times instead of staying in one place depressed and angry?

How is constant split arguments over nitpicks for any kind of good?
But what does focusing a complaining about what's there do for you? It makes you upset, negative, and forget about what you Ben liked about something to begin with. It's more a negative effect than anything and makes it harder to go through with things in life
I thought Drum Beating was a cool looking move
Real hard to take people's complaints if you're going to act like A-hats a out it. and yes I know it's not the majority of you guys, but still
A ting like they know about specs, inner game mechanics, graphical tech, management, animation. Everybody acts likes they're expert in the fields and they know what's objectively good, even though they're probably just regular gamers chilling at home just spouting what THEY consider good
I'm just wondering why all of a sudden every pokemon fan I see are suddenly video game critics
And they're hard to please to begin with
I mean by saying you don't feel like you're enslaving a human so you'd rather an animal, that's like practically saying you'd feel better or more comfortable enslaving an animal
Cause we adults that find it harder to enjoy the series than we do as kids, and blame the games for it
Look dude I get you have you have your own mindset but you kinda admit you'd rather enslave a animals which already sounds bad, plus arms legs and fingers don't equal human, otherwise all animals would be considered human
Best I've seen is Melony and Gordie on the same League card

I will say Dreadnaw will be more of a hindrance to your team. Just a warning
Fairly sure I heard Home will be the source of trading even before the datamine
that feels kinda unfair. G-maxes are rare to find and even then Butterfree, Kingler and Orbeetle are the only ones you can find below 50. And nobody plans on using, and maybe Pikachu and Eevee once.
I saw the battle with Gordie, and honestly, I couldn't help but feel bad with how he handled Coalossal. There definitely needed to be more thought put in to Steam Engine. Maybe halve water damage or something
And these guys have a wide movepool despite being monotype. So dual types aren't everything
I'd say the smart move is to tie Home with your switch online subscription instead of having it as a second subscription all together
I'd feel the best decision is to tie home with your NOS. That way it's not exactly free yet you wouldn't have another subscription to keep tabs over
So I heard from someone playing a pirated game that starting with Kabu all the gym leaders with have Gigantamaxes, and they can be rematched at any time, is this true?
Guys I think I said this already, but Home will serve as the replacement for GTS, our main source of trading. So while global trading is technically not up yet, GTS was simply replaced with Home
You'd be doing that anyway with switch online, that couldn't be helped

Post after post with no comment from me. You'll notice that some of these posts are even things that I've expressed opinions on myself, like the idea that Pokemon games can appeal to adults and children at the same time. And if I'm so intent on making you and SwSh look bad, why didn't I jump on your posts to tell you that Glimwood Tangle and Drum Beat look bad, and that it showed SwSh didn't have good graphics? Why didn't I try to make you look stupid and say that Drednaw wouldn't be a big deal, or say that we saw Melony and Gordie somewhere else together?

Because I'm not posting to make you look bad. I'm posting to share my opinions. It's not a personal grudge to disagree with you.
or like something that someone else responds to me about.
Because I like their opinion. Unless you think they're in on this mysterious "Make Knightwolf look bad" conspiracy, maybe you can admit that I'm focusing on their opinions and whether or not I agree with them.

Pulsaro's been liking these posts responding to you in this thread-do you think they have a personal vendetta against you?
Not to mention you go out of your way to backtrack to find my own words.
I found a post from three days ago by searching for words I remembered. If you're shocked that people can remember conversations from three days ago, I don't know what to tell you. It's a pretty simple skill.
Ihard not to think you have sone problem with me.
I do have a problem with you, you keep accusing other people of ganging up against you and insulting them because you don't like that they criticize the new games. That doesn't mean I'm following you to try to make you look bad at every turn.

If Game Freak wasn't bothered enough by the complaints about the dex cut, why would they be bothered by the smaller group of fans that complain about Kanto pandering? LGPE set records for sales even as people complained about the Gen 1 focus in it, so it's clear that the number of fans unbothered by the idea is much, much larger than the number of fans who are.

You may be right on that count, but the idea of a balanced roster transcends the complaints about Gen I pandering. No matter what, "we have all Pokemon from this generation, but not from any other generation" would be inconsistent.

BTW, I don't remember hearing that about LGP/E. I remember hearing about it not selling as well as they would have liked, or at least in Japan.

You may be right on that count, but the idea of a balanced roster transcends the complaints about Gen I pandering. No matter what, "we have all Pokemon from this generation, but not from any other generation" would be inconsistent.
We're technically already having that, though-we have all Pokemon from Gen 8 but not any other one.
BTW, I don't remember hearing that about LGP/E. I remember hearing about it not selling as well as they would have liked, or at least in Japan.
If it didn't sell as well as they'd like, they must have had some insanely high hopes for it. LGPE sold 661,240 copies in three days.
Pokémon: Let's Go Absolutely Smashes It In The Japanese Charts, Switch Console Sales Skyrocket

We're technically already having that, though-we have all Pokemon from Gen 8 but not any other one.

Well, that's a given. It wouldn't make sense to make a Generation VIII Pokemon game and exclude Pokemon from the brand new generation that the game is introducing all of the brand new Pokemon to us with. Come on, now. Generation VIII Pokemon have nothing to do with the balancing I'm talking about.

Here, let's run a search and look at every post of yours since yesterday that I did not quote:

Post after post with no comment from me. You'll notice that some of these posts are even things that I've expressed opinions on myself, like the idea that Pokemon games can appeal to adults and children at the same time. And if I'm so intent on making you and SwSh look bad, why didn't I jump on your posts to tell you that Glimwood Tangle and Drum Beat look bad, and that it showed SwSh didn't have good graphics? Why didn't I try to make you look stupid and say that Drednaw wouldn't be a big deal, or say that we saw Melony and Gordie somewhere else together?

Because I'm not posting to make you look bad. I'm posting to share my opinions. It's not a personal grudge to disagree with you.

Because I like their opinion. Unless you think they're in on this mysterious "Make Knightwolf look bad" conspiracy, maybe you can admit that I'm focusing on their opinions and whether or not I agree with them.

Pulsaro's been liking these posts responding to you in this thread-do you think they have a personal vendetta against you?

I found a post from three days ago by searching for words I remembered. If you're shocked that people can remember conversations from three days ago, I don't know what to tell you. It's a pretty simple skill.

I do have a problem with you, you keep accusing other people of ganging up against you and insulting them because you don't like that they criticize the new games. That doesn't mean I'm following you to try to make you look bad at every turn.
That's a other thing,why do you keep saying I think you're trying to make me look bad? I'm just saying you come at me a lot. I said nothing about you ruining my rep, especially when I don't have one to speak of

I think that they did have higher hopes for LGPE in Japan, but the western sales more than made up for it.

I don't really care, but if their thought process was "let's have a lot more Unova representatives than Kanto ones so no one can accuse us of bias", then that's overkill. They could have just been more balanced with the Gigantamax forms.

I think that they did have higher hopes for LGPE in Japan, but the western sales more than made up for it.

I don't really care, but if their thought process was "let's have a lot more Unova representatives than Kanto ones so no one can accuse us of bias", then that's overkill. They could have just been more balanced with the Gigantamax forms.
I'd have to agree with you there. I don't hate Kanto but I think the startrs are more worthy for gigantamaxes than kingler or Meowth

That's a other thing,why do you keep saying I think you're trying to make me look bad? I'm just saying you come at me a lot. I said nothing about you ruining my rep, especially when I don't have one to speak of
You literally said I was "waiting for you to post so I could undermine you".
cause you tend to act like my personal parole officer, waiting for me to do something so that you can step in and undermine whatever I have to say.

Well, that's a given. It wouldn't make sense to make a Generation VIII Pokemon game and exclude Pokemon from the brand new generation that the game is introducing all of the brand new Pokemon to us with. Come on, now. Generation VIII Pokemon have nothing to do with the balancing I'm talking about.
I'm just saying, there's already a clear break in the idea that no generation can have all its Pokemon in, so why worry about keeping a balance? The fear of being accused of Kanto pandering didn't stop them from making a game with only Kanto Pokemon in it, and that was before the dex cut announcement.

By undermine I mean act like my opinions don't matter or aren't worth listening to. Not that you're trying to ruin my rep or anything
So, by actually responding to what you say instead of just ignoring it, I'm making it look like it shouldn't be listened to.

And, again, if you think that this is happening, why do you turn around and do the same thing to other people?
Is everybody just going to be in reviewer mode these next couple a days? I heard of the phrase everybody's a critic, but this is ridiculous
A ting like they know about specs, inner game mechanics, graphical tech, management, animation. Everybody acts likes they're expert in the fields and they know what's objectively good, even though they're probably just regular gamers chilling at home just spouting what THEY consider good
Take note, literally anything in life can be better than what it is. So instead of focusing on what it CAN be, focus more on what you like about it as it is.
But what does focusing a complaining about what's there do for you? It makes you upset, negative, and forget about what you Ben liked about something to begin with. It's more a negative effect than anything and makes it harder to go through with things in life
You're telling people their opinions don't matter or that they shouldn't talk about them right here.

The real question is if anyone has anything GOOD to say about it, that isn't a list of apologetics a mile long. It won't matter to me either way since I am making my own judgment, and I totally do not trust anything the fandom says anymore.

One aspect i have considered today is that, the Switch in general is like when a music group has had a bit of a career so far and then: they go as big as possible, they make an album that is really designed to be very popular and reach a new larger audience.
Sword and Shield is sort of like one of the album's hit singles; I think some of the streamlining, and the relevant time constraints, have a lot to do with the whole phenomenon of the Switch.

So, by actually responding to what you say instead of just ignoring it, I'm making it look like it shouldn't be listened to.

And, again, if you think that this is happening, why do you turn around and do the same thing to other people?

You're telling people their opinions don't matter or that they shouldn't talk about them right here.
Where on here says that I think their opinions don't matter? Why do think people should only have 1 type of opinion? Why can't I introduce other ways to think? Do you think opinions can't be changed?

Where on here says that I think their opinions don't matter?
I don't know how much clearer I can be beyond quoting you directly. When you say "This is ridiculous" in response to people reviewing a game, you're acting like their reviews shouldn't be taken seriously. When you say "everyone is acting like they're experts in the field and know what's objectively good, but they're just regular people spouting what THEY think is good", you're saying that their opinions don't matter enough because they're just average players. (And nobody's ever claimed any sort of objectivity on anything here) When you instruct people to focus on what they like, you're telling them not to express their opinions on what they don't like, which is not something most people would consider respecting an opinion. And that's just on this thread alone, not even bringing up when you've dismissed others as "pouting" or "whining" or "overdramatic" or "selfish".

There's only so many ways I can say this. If you're telling people they shouldn't express an opinion, you're not respecting it.

Why do think people should only have 1 type of opinion?
I've said over and over again that people should be allowed to disagree with you. I've never once said that you shouldn't be allowed to have your own opinion. You're the one who's told people that they shouldn't criticize the flaws, or to not be part of a conversation. You're asking us to match your opinion.
Why can't I introduce other ways to think? Do you think opinions can't be changed?
So, when you tell people they shouldn't express negative opinions, that's "introducing other ways to think", but when I make a post disagreeing with something you say, that's "acting like your opinions don't matter or aren't worth listening to". Does that seem remotely fair to you?

I don't know how much clearer I can be beyond quoting you directly. When you say "This is ridiculous" in response to people reviewing a game, you're acting like their reviews shouldn't be taken seriously. When you say "everyone is acting like they're experts in the field and know what's objectively good, but they're just regular people spouting what THEY think is good", you're saying that their opinions don't matter enough because they're just average players. (And nobody's ever claimed any sort of objectivity on anything here) When you instruct people to focus on what they like, you're telling them not to express their opinions on what they don't like, which is not something most people would consider respecting an opinion. And that's just on this thread alone, not even bringing up when you've dismissed others as "pouting" or "whining" or "overdramatic" or "selfish".

There's only so many ways I can say this. If you're telling people they shouldn't express an opinion, you're not respecting it.

I've said over and over again that people should be allowed to disagree with you. I've never once said that you shouldn't be allowed to have your own opinion. You're the one who's told people that they shouldn't criticize the flaws, or to not be part of a conversation. You're asking us to match your opinion.

So, when you tell people they shouldn't express negative opinions, that's "introducing other ways to think", but when I make a post disagreeing with something you say, that's "acting like your opinions don't matter or aren't worth listening to". Does that seem remotely fair to you?
So now I know you're making stuff up. When I said it was ridiculous, I was talking about the amount of people that act like critics, not their opinions. And just cause I say they're regular gamers, nothing about that says their opinions don't matter, I was just saying they act like gaming know it alls. So once again, nothing I said means their opinions don't matter.

Now you also completely missed what I asked. I asked if you think people can't have more than one type of opinion. Your way of thinking is black and white in thinking people can't have Multiple perspectives in thinking, and offering other ways to think of things mean they have to match my opinion. Or that they shouldn't criticize at all.

And for the final time I never said that they should never think. negative. I said they don't have to only think negatively which leads back to your black and white mentality that you only have to agree or disagree, and if anything. So since you consistently misinterpret what I say then treat me like I'm always in the wrong, you tell me what you consider fair.

I believe any game can deserve criticism. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But what I see mostly is just blind and insane and nonsensical hate. It's utterly insane. I think this is the most hate I've ever seen for a game... ever. Constructive criticism is completely fine, I encourage it, but this is just... too much.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom