• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Game Freak "Lied"?

Reaction score
So I've been seeing the hashtag #GameFreakLied going around on Twitter and it seems to specifically address the debunked rumor of Game Freak making new models "from scratch". This turned out to be a mistranslation.

I will be the first to clarify that there were a LOT of missteps from Game Freak/Pokemon Company that made the Dexit situation way worse than it could have been. I'm not sure if "lying" would be the proper terminology, though. I remember at E3 Masuda's first explanation revolved around higher-quality graphics and models. While what we've seen may not compare to Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild, technically there's still graphical improvement compared to previous entries in the series. I wouldn't say it justifies the cut, but I wonder if Masuda said this due to "behind the scenes stuff" we're not privy to like changes in hardware. That sounds less like lying and more a very poor choice of words.

This may all sound really nitpicky, but as a person of faith I do have questions about this. Whether or not all the Pokemon make it in is a subjective thing; I don't consider not allowing my favorites into Galar a moral failure (and if what little I've seen is true, I do have reason to be frustrated). But I do struggle with supporting unethical companies, even though there's probably way more going on in the world than even I care to admit. I may not be able to get all my questions answered, and it may be moot since I've already paid my money and preloaded Shield, but I just don't want to believe Game Freak is that extra level of crappy.

At this point it seems TPCi is the crappy company.

Despite what people say, Game Freak isn't the new EA or 2K or Bethesda. They're literally just puppets controlled by merchandising and the tight schedules caused by said merchandising.

Also, I don't think it was much a mistranslation as much as it was badly worded. Because the textures are different. The shading is on its own map now when the two textures used to be on the same map. Is this enough to warrant the cuts, no. But it's true that they did change the models even if it was the textures.

Besides, a lot of companies reuse models and make new textures for them all the time. Like how Sega just reskinned the Yakuza HD remakes. And yeah, they didn't state they rebuilt them from scratch, but again, I feel like that statement was badly worded.

Also, I don't think it was much a mistranslation as much as it was badly worded. Because the textures are different. The shading is on its own map now when the two textures used to be on the same map. Is this enough to warrant the cuts, no. But it's true that they did change the models even if it was the textures.

Besides, a lot of companies reuse models and make new textures for them all the time. Like how Sega just reskinned the Yakuza HD remakes. And yeah, they didn't state they rebuilt them from scratch, but again, I feel like that statement was badly worded.

Was it a question of "models" vs. "textures"? Not sure if I misheard that, and the internet I'm on right now is making it hard to find the answers :p

Was it a question of "models" vs. "textures"? Not sure if I misheard that, and the internet I'm on right now is making it hard to find the answers :p
Well, the textures are part of the models. So that's what I'm saying was badly worded. If he had simply said "remaking textures from scratch" people probably would have laid off a minute amount.

But as for the actual hashtag, it's more people complaining about T-counts and how they are the same as or close to all the other models since XY. Completely over looking the seperate shadow and color textures.

I will be the first to clarify that there were a LOT of missteps from Game Freak/Pokemon Company that made the Dexit situation way worse than it could have been. I'm not sure if "lying" would be the proper terminology, though. I remember at E3 Masuda's first explanation revolved around higher-quality graphics and models. While what we've seen may not compare to Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild, technically there's still graphical improvement compared to previous entries in the series. I wouldn't say it justifies the cut, but I wonder if Masuda said this due to "behind the scenes stuff" we're not privy to like changes in hardware. That sounds less like lying and more a very poor choice of words.
Yeah, I admit that a lot of our frustration has been fueled by Game Freak being terrible at PR. Are there any PR coaches that Game Freak could visit? Because they sure need it!

At this point it seems TPCi is the crappy company.

Despite what people say, Game Freak isn't the new EA or 2K or Bethesda. They're literally just puppets controlled by merchandising and the tight schedules caused by said merchandising.
I wouldn't be surprised if Dexit was actually forced by TPCi on Game Freak so they could milk Home for more money.

Well, Masuda said that they would cut some Pokémon a few months ago so he didn't exactly hide any information. I guess it's a shame that there is less content but we already knew this in advance. If anything it would have been worse if they hadn't said anything, hadn't it?

I think the people complaining about this don't care all that much about the graphics they are just upset about the cut Pokémon.

Y’all do realize that TPCi is a marketing and licensing company, right? They likely have little to no say in the developmental decisions of the game. That’s not their job. Their job is to market and sell what they’re given. In fact, they exist literally because of GameFreak’s product. If anyone is pressuring GF for SwSh’s development in any direction, it would likely be Nintendo. Otherwise, these are decisions made by GameFreak themselves.

If you trust Masuda's recent words, then both TPC and Nintendo have some influence. It's hard to believe that Ishihara just goes with the flow. He's probably a board member at Game Freak, so it isn't easy to separate the companies.

If you trust Masuda's recent words, then both TPC and Nintendo have some influence. It's hard to believe that Ishihara just goes with the flow. He's probably a board member at Game Freak, so it isn't easy to separate the companies.
I did say “little to none”. I don’t doubt they might have some influence but they certainly are not calling any shots or making any demands. If anything, they would have have been vehemently against Dexit: it’s a marketing and PR nightmare. But in the end, it’s not their call.

I did say “little to none”. I don’t doubt they might have some influence but they certainly are not calling any shots or making any demands. If anything, they would have have been vehemently against Dexit: it’s a marketing and PR nightmare. But in the end, it’s not their call.
An argument could be made that Ishihara is in favor of Dexit because of Home's subscription fee. The more Pokemon are kept in that service indefinitely, the bigger the total fee for those who haven't given up on transfers (although that number could be lower than they hope for). Dexit also makes remakes more lucrative than they were before (in a cheap way), and the profits are not limited to Game Freak.

I do agree that Game Freak are not TPC's pets. In fact, Game Freak own one third of TPC.

An argument could be made that Ishihara is in favor of Dexit because of Home's subscription fee. The more Pokemon are kept in that service indefinitely, the bigger the total fee for those who haven't given up on transfers (although that number could be lower than they hope for). Dexit also makes remakes more lucrative than they were before (in a cheap way), and the profits are not limited to Game Freak.

I do agree that Game Freak are not TPC's pets. In fact, Game Freak own one third of TPC.
People would have used Home either way if Bank was any indication. In fact, if people realize that sending Pokémon into Home means you can’t get them back if they aren’t in SwSh, they might be less inclined to use it.

But yeah, my main point was that it’s not as if TPCi has GameFreak under their shoe.

People would have used Home either way if Bank was any indication. In fact, if people realize that sending Pokémon into Home means you can’t get them back if they aren’t in SwSh, they might be less inclined to use it.

But yeah, my main point was that it’s not as if TPCi has GameFreak under their shoe.
Greed makes you very, very dumb sometimes.

On the other hand, there's a difference between paying a fee every 3 years and doing it every year to maintain your collection, which can't all be transferred to SwSh. They're already promising fans that their favorites will be available... eventually and not all at once.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom