• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The Game Is Out, Time To Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMeowPuss

Reaction score
So it's been out for more than 12 hours here in Aus (we had a mightnight launch in Sydney) so many people are already paying the game.

What are your impressions so far?

I have to wait until Christmas to play. It will be hard avoiding the story.

Damn that will be tough! I'm waiting for a few weeks for the guide to come out.

0 spoilers to the story or anything but I noticed the game looks really good on dock, even better than handheld which is surprising.

Don't like how you can't catch level 30 pokemon when you're half the level, EXP share, can't access the record and book stores, shops are just vendors, and the crappy inside backgrounds.

But it's fun and I'm enjoying everything else so far. Some of the textures look really nice. Others not so much, but I'm chalking that up to those Pokemon possibly being originally rendered and skinned for a 3DS game then getting cut. It's Nikit. I'm talking about Nikit.

Don't like how you can't catch level 30 pokemon when you're half the level, EXP share, can't access the record and book stores, shops are just vendors, and the crappy inside backgrounds.

But it's fun and I'm enjoying everything else so far. Some of the textures look really nice. Others not so much, but I'm chalking that up to those Pokemon possibly being originally rendered and skinned for a 3DS game then getting cut. It's Nikit. I'm talking about Nikit.

a leveling system to make oponents (-3) to (+6) then your send out pokemon would work better we would get 4 graded(+3 each) for players...

Beginner(-3 then your send out pokemon, or strongest in the party)-->Regular(0)-->Advanced(+3)
-->Master(+6 more then your send out pokemon or strongest in the party) ---- with the 100level limit offcourse for all pokemon....

they would only need to give the gym leaders and oponents good items, moves and abilities to compensate.

Then you could catch pokemon of every level and it would not matter.

there is a

Battle style - set

Unbeknown to a surprisingly high number of trainers, there is a setting within the options menu called "battle style". This has actually been in Pokemon games since the first generation but has either been missed or ignored by a lot of players.

Last edited:
So the games' score is 3.6/10 right now on metacritic (users score clearly). No surprise.
I've played the first two hours and:

• The game improves in not focusing on that many tutorials but it stll holds your hand quite a lot. Every two steps there's Hop telling you what to do and where to go.
  • The animations for the starters are great.
  • The scene with Zacian at the beginning is great.
  • The levelling curve is like the past. Nothing difficult but no evident backstep.
  • Seeing the pokemon in the overworld is great and the new mons are amazing.
  • The wild area is a visual mess. Like seriously, if you get too close to trees they disappear. On the berries trees (which look bad) you can clearly see the pixelated leaves (and I'm playing on handheld to limit the flaws!). Really disappointing.
  • I like the fact that you can carry your box.
  • I liked some animations of pokemon, much less some others. Being able to see a Kommo-o in the first two hours is amazing. Not being able to catch a level 21 pokemon is not great.
  • The overworld visual outside the wild area is mixed for me. For example the first time you enter the professor house there's a huge black void on the right. I was seriously shocked. Like the visual rapresentation of the void. Other parts are really pleasant.
  • A LOT of closed doors. A lot of times I tried to enter somewhere just to find the door locked.
Overall, definitively not a 3.6. You can enjoy the games despite some shocks here and there. But certainly a game that has a lot of flaws and that feels rushed, especially in the tecnical department.
It's still pretty soon to judge the final result but for now is around 6/7. Some parts deserve 8/9, others parts 5 at best.

The closed doors thing is city-dependant. I was really disappointed when in Turrfield there was no location to explore, as every house was locked at distance by some blocking on the road.

Nessa’s city (Hulbert?) is far better in this regard as except the watchtower, every house is open.

The method I used so far, without catching Every Pokémon (I didn’t miss that many though in routes), made me underleveled for Nessa, so far as good, even though I’d have appreciated something different then forcing exp share.

While not difficult, there are actually quite a few trainers with 2 and 3 Pokémon, more so then 1, so that’s another good point.

Arriveded at the first gym after 4:30. I battled all the trainers, just avoided to battle or catch any wild pokemon after the wild area cause I already have 6 pokemon around 17-19.
From my previous post I want to add that people stop you too many times. Each time you move from one place to another there's someone that asks you if you want to be brought there. Really annoying.
Most of the shops in the steam city are closed. A lot of people give you items and there's often someone healing your pokemon. The first cave is really simple.
Yeah, the game feels pretty easy now.

I feel a bit silly, but I think the thing I'm enjoying most so far are the changes to the underlying logic behind the whole Pokemon world and gym challenge. The idea that it's such a cultural event, that multiple do it at once, that there are these huge stadiums and participants need sponsorships and stay in hotels the night before... It fleshes out the whole system brilliantly! I mean, look back at previous gens, do leaders just sit in there waiting all day? Why? What happens if no one comes in that day? How often does it happen? It's not game ruining that they don't explain these things, but this world feels like stuff is happening even when the protagonist isn't on screen, and that counts for WAY more than I ever would have guessed!

So the games' score is 3.6/10 right now on metacritic (users score clearly). No surprise.

Anyway, I've started the game yesterday, and I'm really loving it so far! The introduction to the starters was one of the best sequences in the whole franchise, and it really showed their different personalities. I smiled through the whole sequence. :D

The first encounter with the legendary wolf was also awesome. It really had that aura of mystery around it, which definitely suits a Legendary. Just wait for our real meeting, Zamazenta!

The graphics are also really gorgeous! Sure, they had their hiccups here and there, with stuff disappearing and reappearing out of nowhere when you distance yourself from a spot to another, but overall they aren't as terrible as the "Zelda tree" people make it out to be. They are still a step-up compared to SM, I'd say.

Oh, and I also like the various minor things, like the main character actually showing emotion during sequences (thank goodness!), or even the way in which Nickit cleans its tail after attacking. Regarding the whole Double-Kick thing, that happens only with multi-attack techniques. Tbh, it would become annoying really fast if the Pokémon moved forward after each hit, so that's the lesser of two evils.

Overall, I think these games are getting way too much flack. I wish people gave them a chance before panning them. Really, they're better than how they look.

Can't wait to reach the Wild Area and go camping with my Pokémon!

Can we share spoilers without tags on the thread? using the tags for the time being to be on the safer side.

The first encounter with the legendary wolf was also awesome. It really had that aura of mystery around it, which definitely suits a Legendary. Just wait for our real meeting, Zamazenta!
With this, I’d like to share that the increasing fog (still related to the first encounter but not sure on spoiler policy) and us not being able to attack the legend the suspense factor was increased! Not to mention the beautiful music which used the legendary’s howls. I’ve been fascinated by wolf and dog howls my entire life so having a track inspired by them was great! Too bad it doesn’t carry over to the future encounters...

I was skimming through a Reddit thread about the quality of the games. Most of it was bashing out of spite, so there's a part of me that doesn't want to put too much stock into what was said. But then I came across one of the alleged issues...

Supposedly the cutscenes and hand-holding in this game are just as intrusive as they were in Sun/Moon, if not more so.

Has it been that way for anyone? Cause this one of my biggest problems with Sun/Moon and the reason why I skipped USUM. I don't like being interrupted by cutscenes every two steps I take. Nor do I like patronizing tutorials I'm forced to take.

I was skimming through a Reddit thread about the quality of the games. Most of it was bashing out of spite, so there's a part of me that doesn't want to put too much stock into what was said. But then I came across one of the alleged issues...

Supposedly the cutscenes and hand-holding in this game are just as intrusive as they were in Sun/Moon, if not more so.

Has it been that way for anyone? Cause this one of my biggest problems with Sun/Moon and the reason why I skipped USUM. I don't like being interrupted by cutscenes every two steps I take. Nor do I like patronizing tutorials I'm forced to take.
You can skip tutorials and cutscenes. I can't fathom how they'll be more hand-holding than SM.

It's on par with XY, IMO.

But at least they give you the options to skip the mandatory tutorials. But to do that you either have to catch Pokemon in the first hour or pick the "I know..." type options which can be hard to miss if you're someone who button mashes through dialog.

If there's no cutscenes every couple of seconds (it seemed like), then I think that's more tolerable.

And I don't just mean the Pokemon catching aspect. Sun/Moon was terrible because the entire first island was one giant tutorial you were forced to participate in. Aside from the school house, it'd also frequently interrupt you to explain basic facilities and features in and around the island. I hated that. And even after finishing the island, the games were still obnoxious about pointing you where to go. This is my chief concern about the progression of SwSh.

But if there's none of that, then I think that's good.

Even the scripted stuff in Sun/Moon got horribly intrusive. (Looking at you, ending sequence...)

Even the scripted stuff in Sun/Moon got horribly intrusive. (Looking at you, ending sequence...)

That's probably the only thing worse than SM. The entire story is scripted. Like they took the box legendary summoning and Exeggutor island bits and expanded it to cover the whole story. There's a lot of time skips and no real time clock because the story is suposed to take place over many days.

I guess I'll just watch a Let's Play to see how bad it really is. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom