• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
I totally agree. Keeping in mind the fact that Farfetch'd won't be available in every game going forward, any region they put him in will most likely also conveniently be a region that has the conditions to let it evolve into Sirfetch'd.

Or an NPC could just trade/gift a Sirfetch'd to u

Can I take the moment to rant about Galarian Darmanitan. I'm really, really disappointed with its design. Galarian Darumaka is adorable and has so much potential but its evolution is just plain ugly. The pseudo-snow-beard looks gross in my opinion. Remove the snow-beard and head snowball, and give the design ice crystal "eyebrows" a la Galarian Darumaka and it would be golden. But that's not what we got.

And don't get me started on the Zen mode form. It's silly... and not in a good way.

554-g.png
555-g.png
555-gz.png

Can I take the moment to rant about Galarian Darmanitan. I'm really, really disappointed with its design. Galarian Darumaka is adorable and has so much potential but its evolution is just plain ugly. The pseudo-snow-beard looks gross in my opinion. Remove the snow-beard and head snowball, and give the design ice crystal "eyebrows" a la Galarian Darumaka and it would be golden. But that's not what we got.

And don't get me started on the Zen mode form. It's silly... and not in a good way.

554-g.png
555-g.png
555-gz.png
Do we even know if he was the artist at all?

Sorry. I guess seeing comments like that frequently made your post fall into Poe's Law into my mind.
It's alright. I figured that might happen and wanted to put hover text over it with something along the lines of "/s" but I couldn't make it work with the spoiler tag.

Much as I dislike the breeding incenses, at least one of them actually ends up being kind of useful here. There are in-game trades for the foreign forms of three Pokémon - Meowth, Yamask, and Mr. Mime. Because of how regional evolutions work, this creates an unlimited source of Persian and Cofagrigus with your own OT despite them not properly appearing in Galar. But with Mr. Mime, it's tricky, because all Mime Jr. in Galar will evolve into Galarian Mr. Mime. What if you want to use a Kantonian Mr. Mime that has your OT? Well, thanks to the incense mechanics, there's a workaround - simply give the traded Kantonian Mr. Mime an Everstone and leave incense out of the equation altogether. It should produce eggs containing more Kantonian Mr. Mime.

People often say that regular Mr. Mime's animations creep them out, and I've never felt that way myself, but I have to admit that there is something about how those Galarian Mr. Mime on Route 10 dance up to you that unnerves me... :oops:

People often say that regular Mr. Mime's animations creep them out, and I've never felt that way myself, but I have to admit that there is something about how those Galarian Mr. Mime on Route 10 dance up to you that unnerves me... :oops:
Really? I actually found the dance to be an improvement over the sliding mime movements. Not to say I didn't like Mr. Mime, I had a childhood friend who LOVED Mr. Mime, and it makes me think of them, so I kinda love it for that.

Really? I actually found the dance to be an improvement over the sliding mime movements. Not to say I didn't like Mr. Mime, I had a childhood friend who LOVED Mr. Mime, and it makes me think of them, so I kinda love it for that.

I suppose it comes down to the presentation. Until LGPE, we'd never really seen much of Mr. Mime moving around in the overworld, and even in Let's Go, it walks pretty normally - the miming is pretty much only done in battle, where it feels more like I'm just watching things from afar. But in Sword & Shield, they appear on a cold, snowy route with sparse, hypnotic music, and instead of just wandering around casually like in Let's Go, they actually come charging at you in groups with their little dance, so I guess it felt more aggressive and bizarre.

Now that I think about it, maybe it also reminds me a bit of this one creepypasta that actually wigs me out (scary stuff)

Now that I think about it, maybe it also reminds me a bit of one of the few creepypastas that actually wigs me out (scary stuff)
Now I really want some Pokemon versions of old creepypasta played out in the overworld. Pokemon creepypasta's gotten to the point of being cliche, and there's not many that would suit a Pokemon remake, but dangit, if Mr. Mime can replace the Smiling Man, I want to see something like the hook hand man with a creepy Pokemon following people, or SmileHoundour.jpg.

Anyone else wish Cufant/Copperajah was just Galarian Phanpy/Donphan?

Copperajah is already foreign to Galar and is supposed to reference to the historical interactions between Britain and India. So having it come from basically Kansai, Japan would be very strange unless you just totally redid the design to remove the Indian aesthetic, and at that point you’re just creating a new Pokémon and may as well just suggest that it coexist with Copperajah instead of coming into being at its expense.

Besides, Cufant is so cute and rich in concepts, enough to be its own thing!
It references:
  1. Copper rusting from orange to green (Cufant is orange dominant and non waster resistant, while Copperajah develops a green oxidised water resistant coating).
  2. Indian copper utensils.
  3. Indian royalty (and they often used to ride elephants).

It’s miles better than Phanpy imo. I wish Copperajah turned down the green, but the green's concept-related so it’ll do. Too bad it’s Gigantamax design is too messy (and becomes bipedal?).

So having it come from basically Kansai, Japan

I don't think it has ever been said that all the original forms of the regional variants have been from the region they're originally form so that's kind of assumptive no?

I just feel like they have many design elements that are very similar.

I just feel like they have many design elements that are very similar.
Interpretations are subjective and all... but personally I find them really different. Phanpy and it’s evolution line’s based more around rolling while Cufant isn’t.
It becomes even more apparent when they evolve so I was wondering what are the similarities apart from being an elephant and cute at the base stage.

They both also share the use of coral and similar shapes.

Just to be clear, I don't think Cuphant looks like a regional form as is. I just feel like there is enough of a resemblance, that makes it feel somewhat uncanny. As such, I wished they had simply design it as a regional variant from the get go, if not as a Galarian Form then as a regional form from another region that got moved into Galar if that makes sense.

I don't think it has ever been said that all the original forms of the regional variants have been from the region they're originally form so that's kind of assumptive no?

It's beside the point in this case, since it overall just wouldn't make much sense to have an elephant gain an Indian aesthetic upon moving to Britain. An Indian-themed Pokémon being brought into Britain is a clear reference to the real-world, and at that, one they might want to be relatively careful and sensitive with since it brushes up against implications of colonialism. So even if they were to add some flavor line to Phanpy's Pokédex about it not originally being from Johto, a Galarian variant still wouldn't likely end up looking like Cufant. You'd still basically be designing a different Pokémon altogether.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom