• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The Game Is Out, Time To Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasnt amazing, my team was level 60 and I one-shotted Leon. Dynamax isn't amazing and if you have the advantage it's easy. Bedes, Marnies stories I felt like they were too short. Hop was really annoying keep talking about the Champion. Leon was the most egocentric champion I ever saw. Magnolia wasnt even needed in the games and Sonia was the only person I really liked tbh. The post-game was stupid and you can't really call it a post-game if you just have to beat dome Dynamax Pokémon and catch the legendary. The Battle Tower is also rather disappointing. Even my parents said that it wasn't worth its money if you have done everything in two days.

My team:

Drumbeat (Rillaboom) level 60
Bolthund level 62
Hitmonlee level 55
Golurk level 60
Farlinks level 56

Thats it and the legendary pokemon of Shield.
You can complete several games in a few hours or days if you rush through them. Time doesn't determine the worth, what does is your experience. In this case, you clearly didn't have fun so may not be worth it for you.

You can complete several games in a few hours or days if you rush through them. Time doesn't determine the worth, what does is your experience. In this case, you clearly didn't have fun so may not be worth it for you.
It wasn't worth it, that is for sure in my opinion. How about yours was it worth it?

a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Anybody who participates in that lawsuit is guarenteed to lose. First, the Pokemon Company and Game Freak are perfectly capable of hiring top notch lawyers. Second, the bug is easy to avoid if you just turn off autosave. Third, the bug actually isn't all that common it just seems that way.

The shiny hunting method in this game seems a little silly, especially compared to Let’s GO. Having to encounter 500 of a species, just to increase the shiny chance of that one species to the max. The combo chaining part isn’t too bad, but needing to encounter every single Pokémon you want to shiny hunt 500 times seems like way too high a number. Then again, I did get lucky and found a shiny Electrike yesterday, just from pure luck (no shiny charm, no combo chain and no high encounter number).

I think I’ll stick to the Masuda method in this game if I feel like shiny hunting.

Last edited:
Anybody who participates in that lawsuit is guarenteed to lose. First, the Pokemon Company and Game Freak are perfectly capable of hiring top notch lawyers. Second, the bug is easy to avoid if you just turn off autosave. Third, the bug actually isn't all that common it just seems that way.
The second and third factors don’t really do anything to help GameFreak's case, though.
If "the bug's easy to avoid if you just turn off autosave" is a viable defence then I don’t see any reason that "getting robbed is easy to avoid if you don’t go out" isn’t one.

The lawyers could help, but if there's some hypothetical bug crashing Sutches/Bricking them/making them unusable due to SwSh's coding then there’s a decent chance there’s going to be compensation from either Nintendo or the court’s side.

i have not bought the games and i have no plans to. i'm not upset about the dex cut or new pokemon designs. i don't really mind either (i find a lot of the new designs very cute/cool). i've watched several playthroughs and there are so many glaring errors with the graphics, coding, story and characters that i know for a fact it will not be enjoyable for me in the slightest. it reminds me too much of x/y, a game i loathed. i don't really like the new gimmick in this gen. the form changes are neat, but it just seems... like a mix of mega evolution and z moves and i really only liked megas. all in all, it's very apparent the game seems rushed. the pokemon company NEEDS to give game freak a break with this new game a year shit. game freak has such a small amount of employees and they're not willing to hire any more. if they took a good 2-3 years off to all put their heads together and overhaul the graphics/coding, they can make a GREAT game. but they don't, this is how it is now.

also there have been over 100 reports of people saying the new game has bricked/destroyed their switch. yikes!! a lawsuit waiting to happen. i'm glad others are enjoying this game, but i'm giving it a hard pass. it's not worth my time or money, and i'm not risking having my new console be destroyed, if these reports are connected to the game.
wasn't the issue that the autosave bug corrupted/erased saved data? And the bricking of Switches was fake? That's the last I heard at least, but I'd have to hunt down the tweets/reddit posts to see how that developed...

I'm ready to upset a lot of people and frankly I don't care.

Also, (Possible) spoilers ahead.

Disclaimer: I don't give a flying fuck about the dexit or the whole model stuff and I'm not into a game for animations. If you want to complain about it, go somewhere else, cause I don't fucking care about it. I also just finished the story so I haven't taken the post-game in account yet.

Out of XY, SM/USUM and SwSh, SwSh is the best one, hands down.

Story-wise, they all are kinda same-y. You know something's there by something shown early in the game (The crack for UBs and the dogs in the Weld) and it all just picks up at the end (Except for XY which throws everything at you in the end while you have no exact idea why you beat Team Flare goons). SwSh, in this aspect could have definitely been better. There were a lot of times where with these 'cutscenes' happening where you leave it all to Leon, they could let you tag on so you gradually learn some more of the story stuff.

A bit annoying is that some stuff disappears depending on how far away you are. This causes you to miss some items if you're unlucky and it's something I think surely could have been handled better.

About the cutscenes, I feel some could be followed up with by some scenes at least showing the aftermath happen like the dinner after Leon gets called away. It could give some nice bonding between some characters.

As far as Gym Leaders go. So. Good. A lot of variety in terms of characters, body types and the likes, but playstyles as well. Raihan especially deserves an award for this. They were also god damn hard at times and I merely managed to avoid crisis at sometimes.

Then there's your rivals. Hop, or Hau 2 as people like to call him, Marnie, and Bede. And let me tell you, Hop is a better Hau in my opinion. Where Hau is just a happy guy who gets sad (After losing to Gladion I think?) and then is suddenly happy again, we actually see Hop, the bratty confident kid, go through his rough patch after getting humbled by Bede and we see him grow while he attempts to adapt/improve and then there's even him helping you out at the climax.

Bede reminds me of Manjyoume from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. A stuck-up boy at first, he goes out of his way to show his superiority and prove his worth. He then hits 'rock bottom' by the mural incident (While Manjyoume hits rock bottom after being beaten by Juudai and Misawa in a row) after which they crawl their way up, one by being defeated again after going through valuable stuff and one by undergoing his own 'trial' with Opal and turn into formidable foes.

Marnie is a sweetheart. She really is. Other than that, there sadly isn't anything else to her character but I'd rather have a nice character that has room to be developed on multiple parts then a really fleshed out character that still sucks.

Even Leon and Sonia have some nice messages going on. While Sonia doesn't really 'do much' she conveys researching despite people saying it's a waste of her talent and that she does nothing with her life, helping out with the Dark Days stuff. Meanwhile, Leon realized his dream of becoming Champion and has become a symbol for the Galar region in many ways. And he's a good loser as well, shown by what happens after you beat him. I judged him a lot before on his clothing and had a lot of theories, but I really like him now.

The Pokémon designs for me are great but I think I said that before so nothing there.

Another nitpick for me is the availability of the Gigantamaxes. They're your new battle gimmick. That's cool and all but with Z-Moves and Megas gone, people don't have anything else to use. Which wouldn't be that bad but... Gym Leaders use them, your rivals use them, Leon and yet you are stuck with... none. As your main battle gimmick, people will want to use it. Kiddies see it and want those but I doubt they'll know how to get them and thus use them. Which is a bad move on their part in my opinion. Especially cause we currently have 5 boosted ones and the others are in the game but hard as sin to obtain apparently. A really big shame. (I was lucky enough to get a Giga Sandaconda on my playthrough myself but I can fully understand other people are unable to and I feel for them)

Then there is the overworld Pokémon. It's nice at first, especially with it being mixed with non-overworld encounters, but when you get to the later areas, it gets really stale and annoying. The routes at some points are too narrow to avoid certain Pokémon while... you're being chased by stuff like Sneasel to hell and back. It annoyed me more than once and I'd rather not have overworld Pokémon than this.

Customization for guys is really good this time around. Nice colours, nice clothing (Jackets, hoodies and shirts in particular). Just wish sneakers were available earlier and we could have small bags cause the big ones are... yeah, not going there. The hairstyles are nice as well. First game I played wihtout a hat on and I don't regret it. Some of the eye colours are a bit too much tho. Some stick out like a sore thumb while some are really well done. Bit of a mixed bag there. I do think it's a shame you can't customize your gym challenger wear. Would have given an additional dimension to it all.

I also really like how Rose turned himself in AND didn't get redeemed. This is how it's done. Not bury someone under a rubble and just let him 'die' cause you don't have the guts to make him repent or let someone off by 'the power of love'. This is how it's done. Good stuff.

Then there's the climax. I like that they, for once, DIDN'T, straight up give you the box Legendary to use. They come to your help and they disappear again to bring down the boss. And they looked badass while doing so. Really, really good stuff.

Then there's the Y comm. Where the XY one perhaps went too fast this one is way too slow. It's an improvement over Festival Plaza but the amount of times I wanted to join a raid that expired is unreal. Really frustrating (Especially when it's a Giga) and definitely up for improvement.

The portable box is great as well. Should you want to raid in the Wild Area, you can easily use the box to make sure you have 4x effectiveness.

Now that's about it for now that comes to me immediately, so perhaps I'll have more but it might be stuff that I find a bit trivial and thus don't come to me immediately. All in all, I'd give the game a solid 7 and it's definitely my favourite and most enjoyed game ever since BW2 left us.

Last edited:
I'll get to a more collected review at some point, but for right now, I'm wondering about this thing I've seen going around about how Oleana used to be impoverished until she was recruited by Rose, and her Garbodor is supposed to hint at that. But, I've scanned through the text dump and can't find anything about that. Near as I can track down, it's just a bit of fanon from the Pokémon Wiki that I guess got spread around? Anyone know if there's anything concrete behind that in the actual games? I thought maybe it would have come from her League Card, but she doesn't have any to give.

I have discovered that I may grind money by getting Watts and paying fisherwomen for vendor trash.

I am happy at this thought and shall do that so as to have lot's of money to buy clothes.

not talking about the autosave glitch, though it would be bad for someone who hasnt heard about it yet. there were reports of people's consoles orange screening and having hardware problems while playing the games (both cartridge and eshop versions). there is no information on whether or not this is faked, the last i heard is it was still being looked into. but if there's been any update on it, i just havent heard about it.

just because a company is a huge one doesnt mean that they can get away from a lawsuit if its bad enough. top notch lawyers or not.

I’ve thrown several Wishing Pieces into the den at Axew’s Eye in the hopes of attracting a Dreepy and all I’m getting is (mostly) Hakamo-o. At least I got a Noivern out of it.

Edit: And a Gmax Sandaconda.

Edit: I finally got my Dreepy!

Last edited:
I’ve thrown several Wishing Pieces into the den at Axew’s Eye in the hopes of attracting a Dreepy and all I’m getting is (mostly) Hakamo-o. At least I got a Noivern out of it.

Edit: And a Gmax Sandaconda.

Edit: I finally got my Dreepy!
Congratulations! I decided to go the Lake of Outrage route, as I didn't have any wishing piece, and the ones I got made me catch three Sligmoo in a row. Glad you could find it though.

Um, nothing you say is that radical or controversial.
The fact that I'm really positive about the game is already controversial enough for a part of the fandom.
I didn’t find anything controversial, but flat out toxic:
If you want to complain about it, go somewhere else, cause I don't fucking care about it.
You hold absolutely no right to shut up people's opinions about anything. You’re free to ignore people who you don’t agree with, or to go to neutral communities (Bulbagarden coincidentally is sane, I don’t know why you expected people to shut you up for liking a game here), but if you yourself are willing to write long paragraphs sharing your opinion, why should others be stopped? Because they don’t agree with you? These forums are not a hive mind.

And really, such things are no better than the toxic Dexit group that try to shame people for liking the games.

I'm ready to upset a lot of people and frankly I don't care.

Also, (Possible) spoilers ahead.

Disclaimer: I don't give a flying fuck about the dexit or the whole model stuff and I'm not into a game for animations. If you want to complain about it, go somewhere else, cause I don't fucking care about it. I also just finished the story so I haven't taken the post-game in account yet.

Out of XY, SM/USUM and SwSh, SwSh is the best one, hands down.

Story-wise, they all are kinda same-y. You know something's there by something shown early in the game (The crack for UBs and the dogs in the Weld) and it all just picks up at the end (Except for XY which throws everything at you in the end while you have no exact idea why you beat Team Flare goons). SwSh, in this aspect could have definitely been better. There were a lot of times where with these 'cutscenes' happening where you leave it all to Leon, they could let you tag on so you gradually learn some more of the story stuff.

A bit annoying is that some stuff disappears depending on how far away you are. This causes you to miss some items if you're unlucky and it's something I think surely could have been handled better.

About the cutscenes, I feel some could be followed up with by some scenes at least showing the aftermath happen like the dinner after Leon gets called away. It could give some nice bonding between some characters.

As far as Gym Leaders go. So. Good. A lot of variety in terms of characters, body types and the likes, but playstyles as well. Raihan especially deserves an award for this. They were also god damn hard at times and I merely managed to avoid crisis at sometimes.

Then there's your rivals. Hop, or Hau 2 as people like to call him, Marnie, and Bede. And let me tell you, Hop is a better Hau in my opinion. Where Hau is just a happy guy who gets sad (After losing to Gladion I think?) and then is suddenly happy again, we actually see Hop, the bratty confident kid, go through his rough patch after getting humbled by Bede and we see him grow while he attempts to adapt/improve and then there's even him helping you out at the climax.

Bede reminds me of Manjyoume from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. A stuck-up boy at first, he goes out of his way to show his superiority and prove his worth. He then hits 'rock bottom' by the mural incident (While Manjyoume hits rock bottom after being beaten by Juudai and Misawa in a row) after which they crawl their way up, one by being defeated again after going through valuable stuff and one by undergoing his own 'trial' with Opal and turn into formidable foes.

Marnie is a sweetheart. She really is. Other than that, there sadly isn't anything else to her character but I'd rather have a nice character that has room to be developed on multiple parts then a really fleshed out character that still sucks.

Even Leon and Sonia have some nice messages going on. While Sonia doesn't really 'do much' she conveys researching despite people saying it's a waste of her talent and that she does nothing with her life, helping out with the Dark Days stuff. Meanwhile, Leon realized his dream of becoming Champion and has become a symbol for the Galar region in many ways. And he's a good loser as well, shown by what happens after you beat him. I judged him a lot before on his clothing and had a lot of theories, but I really like him now.

The Pokémon designs for me are great but I think I said that before so nothing there.

Another nitpick for me is the availability of the Gigantamaxes. They're your new battle gimmick. That's cool and all but with Z-Moves and Megas gone, people don't have anything else to use. Which wouldn't be that bad but... Gym Leaders use them, your rivals use them, Leon and yet you are stuck with... none. As your main battle gimmick, people will want to use it. Kiddies see it and want those but I doubt they'll know how to get them and thus use them. Which is a bad move on their part in my opinion. Especially cause we currently have 5 boosted ones and the others are in the game but hard as sin to obtain apparently. A really big shame. (I was lucky enough to get a Giga Sandaconda on my playthrough myself but I can fully understand other people are unable to and I feel for them)

Then there is the overworld Pokémon. It's nice at first, especially with it being mixed with non-overworld encounters, but when you get to the later areas, it gets really stale and annoying. The routes at some points are too narrow to avoid certain Pokémon while... you're being chased by stuff like Sneasel to hell and back. It annoyed me more than once and I'd rather not have overworld Pokémon than this.

Customization for guys is really good this time around. Nice colours, nice clothing (Jackets, hoodies and shirts in particular). Just wish sneakers were available earlier and we could have small bags cause the big ones are... yeah, not going there. The hairstyles are nice as well. First game I played wihtout a hat on and I don't regret it. Some of the eye colours are a bit too much tho. Some stick out like a sore thumb while some are really well done. Bit of a mixed bag there. I do think it's a shame you can't customize your gym challenger wear. Would have given an additional dimension to it all.

I also really like how Rose turned himself in AND didn't get redeemed. This is how it's done. Not bury someone under a rubble and just let him 'die' cause you don't have the guts to make him repent or let someone off by 'the power of love'. This is how it's done. Good stuff.

Then there's the climax. I like that they, for once, DIDN'T, straight up give you the box Legendary to use. They come to your help and they disappear again to bring down the boss. And they looked badass while doing so. Really, really good stuff.

Then there's the Y comm. Where the XY one perhaps went too fast this one is way too slow. It's an improvement over Festival Plaza but the amount of times I wanted to join a raid that expired is unreal. Really frustrating (Especially when it's a Giga) and definitely up for improvement.

The portable box is great as well. Should you want to raid in the Wild Area, you can easily use the box to make sure you have 4x effectiveness.

Now that's about it for now that comes to me immediately, so perhaps I'll have more but it might be stuff that I find a bit trivial and thus don't come to me immediately. All in all, I'd give the game a solid 7 and it's definitely my favourite and most enjoyed game ever since BW2 left us.
To be fair though, they did give you Eternatus, a Legendary Pokémon so it’s not free. They also locked Kyurem in BW2 in post game

Your missing the point of Gigantamax Pokémon. There designed to encourage people to do raid battles. By giving iconic Pokémon forms but locking them behind a mechanic, forces the player to that said mechanic whether they want.

Unfortunately, I can’t say I cared for this game, and it’s probably my least favorite Pokémon game overall, but I do like the changes to the competitive scene. Several Items such as Focus Sash and Light Clay can obtained in pre-ending, and nature mints finally exist to change nature. It is easy to level up thanks to Exp candy and so many free rare candies. If it wasn’t for the Dynamax mechanic, this is probably the best game for getting in the competitive scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom