• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
True. And we have several Pokemon that are based on semi-aquatic creatures that ain't Water type either (Donphan, Hippopotas, Krookodile for example).

Imo, Gamefreak does it on purpose to create some diversity in the roster.
There are 3 pure fighting type lines in gen 8. This wasn't simply diversity. I believe they wanted tons of monotype this gen. Why? idk.

Last edited:
I feel like a lot of Pokemon in Galar are monotype when dual-typed would have worked just as well, which is a little disappointing because I feel it makes them more one-dimensional compared to dual-typed Pokemon. The starters, Gossifleur line (Flying), Dubwool (Steel), Arrokuda line (Flying), Clobbopus line (Water), Sinistea line (Rock/Water), Perrserker (Fighting), Cursola (Rock), Falinks (Steel), Pincurchin (Water/Poison), Stonjurner (Psychic/Fairy), and Cufant (Ground) line could all work with another type in my opinion.

COUGHS LOUDLY
....what
Arrokuda seems to be based on a dart, which fly. Therefore Flying could sort of work with it.

As for Sinistea, pots and cups are made of ceramic, which is made from rocks, while tea is made of water. Hence, the line could be either Rock, due to the pot/cup, or Water, due to the tea.

I can somewhat see Rock for Sinistea but I don't really see the Water one.

I do agree that some Pokémon could have been fine/better as a dual-type tho.

I also still wonder by Runerigus is Ground/Ghost and not... Rock/Ghost. For whatever reason.

I also still wonder by Runerigus is Ground/Ghost and not... Rock/Ghost. For whatever reason.

It's a spirit in a clay slab. The categorical line between Rock and Ground types is fairly arbitrary as it is, but of course, our other clay-based Pokémon (Claydol and Golett) were both filed under the Ground type.

Some thoughts:

. I didn't get why Mr. Rime is an ice type pokemon. Ok, its walking stick is basically made from ice, but is it consistent?

Maybe Mr. Mime are just the dominate Ice/Psychic Pokemon in Galar?

Either that or it's:
  1. To take over for Jynx in the event of a third version with the minor league and we get a psychic gym.
  2. Because they just reaaaaaaally wanted a frost pun with Mr. Rime.
. Anime. What happens if Ash defeat just one Falinks's trooper? Would it be considered a win? Does Ash need to defeat all the troopers and the leader? It's not the same situation of Exeggcute, since all Exeggcute's eggs are united. And, If one trooper decide to leave the group, what happens? I have a lot of questions about Falinks.

You probably defeat the leader, the others just retreat. Because the bigger, stronger one fainted and they're little warriors, they know when to forfeit and fall back.

. Why is not Grapploct a water type? We are not in a Dragalge like situation, which we don't have room for third type, since Dragalge could be Dragon/Water, Dragon/Poison or Water/Poison. All you need is take a look at Grapploct's pokedex entry on Pokemon Shield:

"Searching for an opponent to test its skills against, it emerges onto land. Once the battle is over, it returns to the sea. "

Probably in an attempt to balance things and failing (since there's only 2 pure fighting type lines in Shield). Either that or they're another line created by the poor, poor Jellicent guy and they just don't like him and want to make his career a living hell.

Because they just reaaaaaaally wanted a frost pun with Mr. Rime.

I know yesterday I said basically this but "if Pokémon were conceived in English first," but come to think of it... maybe Mr. Rime is a Turner design? Someone should ask him.

Maybe. But some of the other names also have frost or glacier in them as well.

I mean the Japanese name could be taken as ice barrier which if you stretch it, is literally what frost is.

Either that or I just realized that they could just be Jack Frost or some other western humanoid depiction of winter/ice since the other two (Jynx and Froslass) are more Eastern.

Last edited:
Maybe. But some of the other names also have frost or glacier in them as well.

I mean the Japanese name could be taken as ice barrier which if you stretch it, is literally what frost is

Either that or I just realized that they could just be Jack Frost or some other western humanoid depiction of winter/ice since the other two (Jynx and Froslass) are specifically more Eastern.

It honestly fascinates me...

To expand a bit on what I said yesterday, in Galar, the original Mr. Mime's pronounced digits seem to have conjoined or atrophied (perhaps because of the cold, since that tends to affect extremities first, and indeed, the Galarian form's hands now look like mittens). Those fingers are what it used to generate psychic barriers before, but now that skill would have waned. And in order to survive in the cold environment, it seems to have abandoned miming in favor of a performative habit that could better maintain its blood circulation - in this case, tap-dancing. And as its legs strengthened, it became capable of channeling its power down through its feet. But what good would psychic barriers that manifest on the ground and run parallel to it do? When perpendicular, they form impenetrable walls around Mr. Mime. But now it would be more useful if it could use the power in its feet to manipulate the ground itself. Since it lives in a frigid environment, it learns to refreeze the snow around its feet into sheets of ice that can cause enemies to slip, and this becomes its new defense mechanism.

That all being said, I find it odder still that it has an ability (Screen Cleaner) that can negate Aurora Veil in addition to Reflect and Light Screen, which would otherwise be a benefit to it. Or maybe that's the point - when it was relocated, perhaps it repurposed its familiarity with barrier techniques in order to get around the ones used by other Pokémon in that environment.

Maybe Mr. Mime are just the dominate Ice/Psychic Pokemon in Galar?

Either that or it's:
  1. To take over for Jynx in the event of a third version with the minor league and we get a psychic gym.
  2. Because they just reaaaaaaally wanted a frost pun with Mr. Rime.
You probably defeat the leader, the others just retreat. Because the bigger, stronger one fainted and they're little warriors, they know when to forfeit and fall back.

Probably in an attempt to balance things and failing (since there's only 2 pure fighting type lines in Shield). Either that or they're another line created by the poor, poor Jellicent guy and they just don't like him and want to make his career a living hell.
You do have a point. I'm curious to see how does Falink work in battle on the anime. The more I think about Falinks, the more I think that it shouldn't be a pokemon. Its design is cool, but the concept is too off to me. Falinks is a group of "beings". The Pokedex didn't tell us about the degree of independence and autonomy of them when they're not fighting. When a Falinks's egg does hatch, do we get one complete Falinks's group (the brass + troopers), or we just get 1 trooper? Despite the fact of having three heads, pokemon like Dodrio, Dugtrio, Magneton, Hydreigon, Zweillous, they all share the same body, so it does make sense that when one Magneton is defeated, all three Magnemites are defeated together, because they make up the entire being (Magneton). That's not what happens to Falinks, since it's just a bunch of "beings" that fight together. I don't like to be that boring, but I'm intrigued about Falinks.

You do have a point. I'm curious to see how does Falink work in battle on the anime. The more I think about Falinks, the more I think that it shouldn't be a pokemon. Its design is cool, but the concept is too off to me. Falinks is a group of "beings". The Pokedex didn't tell us about the degree of independence and autonomy of them when they're not fighting. When a Falinks's egg does hatch, do we get one complete Falinks's group (the brass + troopers), or we just get 1 trooper? Despite the fact of having three heads, pokemon like Dodrio, Dugtrio, Magneton, Hydreigon, Zweillous, they all share the same body, so it does make sense that when one Magneton is defeated, all three Magnemites are defeated together, because they make up the entire being (Magneton). That's not what happens to Falinks, since it's just a bunch of "beings" that fight together. I don't like to be that boring, but I'm intrigued about Falinks.
I guess it's like Kangaskhan and Exegcute. The group live as one.

It's a spirit in a clay slab. The categorical line between Rock and Ground types is fairly arbitrary as it is, but of course, our other clay-based Pokémon (Claydol and Golett) were both filed under the Ground type.
I still wonder if Rock and Ground were supposed to be the same type at first (Earth), but then they were split later in development. It wouldn't surprise me if my theory is correct.

I think they treat this gen as a test run for gen 4 remakes, sequel and gen 9.
They probably have longer plans and this was a test run.

Okay, this is bugging me. I know Toxel and Toxtricity are going back to the more...monsterous designs from the first gen. Like ones not based on any living creature like Electabuzz and Magmar were...but what exactly is it?

Like I really want to say it's an amphibian, because it liked it when you camp out in rain, hates it when you camp out in the heat and snow...but honestly I'm at a loss here. Usually I'm good at figuring out what inspired the literal monster designs like how Electabuzz is a generator raijin or how Magmar is a mythical salamander...but I'm completely stumped with Toxel and Toxtricity.

Okay, this is bugging me. I know Toxel and Toxtricity are going back to the more...monsterous designs from the first gen. Like ones not based on any living creature like Electabuzz and Magmar were...but what exactly is it?

Like I really want to say it's an amphibian, because it liked it when you camp out in rain, hates it when you camp out in the heat and snow...but honestly I'm at a loss here. Usually I'm good at figuring out what inspired the literal monster designs like how Electabuzz is a generator raijin or how Magmar is a mythical salamander...but I'm completely stumped with Toxel and Toxtricity.
I think it might be a salamander, but I'm not exactly sure either.

I think it might be a salamander, but I'm not exactly sure either.

The hands and vibrant colors definitely make me think salamander, and indeed, some species are poisonous. It looks even more like one when Gigantamaxed, when it stands mainly on all fours.

Not sure what they have to do with punk rock music, though.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom