• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Name a bigger downgrade than this.

The cool thing about this thread is that almost everyone here is lying. (Not the italicizing of almost. That means I'm putting emphasis on it so that nobody can say I'm wrong about them.)

I remember every part of gen 5 (though I didn't play the games) and I specifically remember the pokemon fandom deriding them relentlessly.

This isn't even mentioning how I went back to some older games, do not stand the test of time. Sorry, but your nostalgia was wrong.

I agree that XY amd ORAS have some lackluster elements but they're still an upgrade from the previous generations. (Also the battle frontier is a lackluster postgame. I only tell the truth.)

Long story short, biggest downgrade: Pre-Gen 6 Pokemon Fandom >>>>>>> Post-Gen 6 Pokemon fandom.

Oh, by the way, this applies to every other generation too. I'm not singling out specifically people who compare gen 6 to gen 5. Also those people who compared gen 5 to gen 4, gen 4 to gen 3, and so on.

Take off your nostalgia glasses and quit changing your tune the moment you need to justify hating a new generation.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Now, don't even try arguing. It's 8:30 and I am way to tired to come up with a proper response.
Get off your high horse. Your opinion is not, and will never be fact.

Some people like the way Pokemon is heading, and others don’t.

Nostalgia for past gens isn’t why I think 3Ds games onward has been a downward slide.

My main reasons are;

Too many cutscenes
Too few Pokemon introduced
Post game is getting cut down by the generation
Trainer battles are getting shorter and easier.
Good features constantly removed
Friendly characters tend to get in the way of actually playing the game.
Low quality games pushed out every year with little to no polish
They cut the entire dex down in half and gave us a game as interactive as a PowerPoint presentation
Not one of these reasons is linked to nostalgia. I like the older games because they had more time and effort put into them.

Post gen 5, I am finding it harder to justify a purchase. I’m getting less and less with each game. I’d argue SWSH is as feature complete as GSC, which is an embarking position to be in in 2019.

I am finding it harder to justify a purchase. I’m getting less and less with each game.

Indeed - I still enjoyed Generation VI overall, but I almost didn't get Sun and I certainly can't justify spending the best part of £50 on VIII. Kalos wasn't a difficult region by anyone's metric (And frankly, Pokémon has never really been difficult), but I found Alola juvenile even by this franchise's standards. I've no reason to believe, at this moment, that the trend won't continue into Generation VIII.

Sword and Shield can be considered a bigger downgrade if you didn't play Let's GO, but apart from Dex cuts, I will list some in spoilers.
  • All starters in Galar can be considered a complete downgrade from Alola or Kalos. Cinderace still has some edge, but Intelleon isn't on par with Greninja or Primarina. Rillaboom would be outclassed by Decidueye.
  • Giving gender difference to all Eevee variants instead of just single variant. While this can be seen as a plus for many LGPE players, this change also alienated many veteran fans (especially veteran Eevee artists and fans) who are still used to the classic spiky-tail designs for both genders in DS and 3DS games and GO. Some even pointed out this as one of the most-catastrophic change GF has ever done.
  • Story mode. It's your typical Pokémon adventure, but apart from the climatic Macro Cosmos and the League story arc, almost everything has putting down any immersion for many story players. The post game stuff in SwSh is... Nay.

• Giving gender difference to all Eevee variants instead of just single variant. While this can be seen as a plus for many LGPE players, this change also alienated many veteran fans (especially veteran Eevee artists and fans) who are still used to the classic spiky-tail designs for both genders in DS and 3DS games and GO. Some even pointed out this as one of the most-catastrophic change GF has ever done.
They removed hundreds of Pokemon and moves, the GTS, and Megas/Z-Moves, but people are saying that the worst thing was giving female Eevee a heart pattern? It's not even that different from the original, and female Eevee are pretty rare, and it's not carried over into evos- why would anyone find this alienating?

Emerald's Battle Frontier to Gen 4's Battle Frontier.

For starters, Gen 4's Battle Frontier has less facilities with only five, while Emerald's has seven. Second, they are boring compared to the ones in Emerald in my opinion. Three out of the five facilities are just Battle Tower variants, meaning four out of five are just Battle Tower and its three variants. Only Battle Hall is not a Battle Tower variant and even then it's just alright.

Meanwhile, Emerald's Battle Frontier has Battle Pyramid and Battle Pike, which are actually very different from the usual battle a certain number of trainers in a row. The former has you navigating a seven floor pyramid, defeating trainers to get hints and looking around for items. The latter has you go through seven rooms, each with a different stepulation and you can even run into wild pokemon.

Battle Dome is a 16 trainer tournament bracket where you can learn about each trainer's pokemon, their battle style and how they train before you fight them. Battle Arena gives each of your three pokemon three turns to defeat the opponent's pokemon but if you don't faint the opponent's pokemon after those three turns, who wins is based on who performed better. Even the Battle Palace can be fun given how random it is, and i like how it uses the nature system introduced in Gen 3 extensively.

The other two are the Battle Tower and Battle Factory which are the same as the ones in Gen 4's Battle Frontier.

You can definitely have fun with the Gen 4's Battle Frontier, but i was really disappointed with its offerings.

Last edited:
They removed hundreds of Pokemon and moves, the GTS, and Megas/Z-Moves, but people are saying that the worst thing was giving female Eevee a heart pattern? It's not even that different from the original, and female Eevee are pretty rare, and it's not carried over into evos- why would anyone find this alienating?

Some serious fans do not like this minor change at all, preferring the old designs for nostalgia and heritage. Other detractors also pointed out that Game Freak retconned all female Eevee (instead of just special variants) to have heart-pattern tails (and not giving evolved Eeveelutions similar treatments) as an excuse for the deleted Pokémon and how GF doesn't listen to fans. I have some friends in other sites who are also disgusted over this.

Still, it's still pretty dumb to have this while Eeveelutions don't have gender differences. I would rather have heart-pattern Glaceon or Umbreon.

Last edited:
Some serious fans do not like this minor change at all, preferring the old designs for nostalgia and heritage.
I would think these serious fans would have already been upset by changes like Charizard's shiny being a different color in Gen 3, or the shift from sprites to models, or retyping Pokemon to Fairy, or anything else like that. We've had plenty of changes to Pokemon over the years, and anyone who would be upset at a new gender variant when the old design is still around just because it's different has probably been turned off the series a long time ago.
Other detractors also pointed out that Game Freak retconned all female Eevee (instead of just special variants) to have heart-pattern tails (and not giving evolved Eeveelutions similar treatments) as an excuse for the deleted Pokémon and how GF doesn't listen to fans.
The model was already created for LGPE-they absolutely did not cut any Pokemon to develop it for SwSh.
(and not giving evolved Eeveelutions similar treatments)
So, people are bothered by the change, but they're also bothered that things didn't change enough?

So, people are bothered by the change, but they're also bothered that things didn't change enough?
Game Freak seems to have habits of pi$$ing off many purists in years. If they apply gender differences to all normal Eevee, fans will still always ask "what if the Eeveelutions didn't get gender differences?" or some sort. I also find it super weird to have heart tail Eevee evolved, but the gender difference didn't carry to its evolved forms. It's very weird indeed.

Game Freak seems to have habits of pi$$ing off many purists in years.
Yeah, since they retyped Magneton in Gen 2. Why talk about it being controversial now?
If they apply gender differences to all normal Eevee, fans will still always ask "what if the Eeveelutions didn't get gender differences?" or some sort.
Still not something that makes or breaks a game...
I also find it super weird to have heart tail Eevee evolved, but the gender difference didn't carry to its evolved forms. It's very weird indeed.
It's happened before-Golbat, Murkrow, and Gligar have gender differences while Crobat, Honkcrow, and Gliscor don't.

The Galar Battle Tower...You can only play in Single and Double Battles now :/ From what I understand, there's also no more co-op Multi-Battles. It makes XY's post-game and Battle Maison look like a veritable gold mine...

Also, this weird Link Codes thing for online trading. They still haven't topped the PSS. Even the Festival Plaza or a similar hub world would've been preferable for multiplayer interaction...

Last edited:
The cool thing about this thread is that almost everyone here is lying. (Not the italicizing of almost. That means I'm putting emphasis on it so that nobody can say I'm wrong about them.)

I remember every part of gen 5 (though I didn't play the games) and I specifically remember the pokemon fandom deriding them relentlessly.

This isn't even mentioning how I went back to some older games, do not stand the test of time. Sorry, but your nostalgia was wrong.

I agree that XY amd ORAS have some lackluster elements but they're still an upgrade from the previous generations. (Also the battle frontier is a lackluster postgame. I only tell the truth.)

Long story short, biggest downgrade: Pre-Gen 6 Pokemon Fandom >>>>>>> Post-Gen 6 Pokemon fandom.

Oh, by the way, this applies to every other generation too. I'm not singling out specifically people who compare gen 6 to gen 5. Also those people who compared gen 5 to gen 4, gen 4 to gen 3, and so on.

Take off your nostalgia glasses and quit changing your tune the moment you need to justify hating a new generation.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Now, don't even try arguing. It's 8:30 and I am way to tired to come up with a proper response.
To put it politely, you're in urgent need of understanding a concept: opinions are subjective and everyone values different things about a game. And I advise you to refrain from posting on a public forum if you don’t want people to reply to you.

I agree that XY amd ORAS have some lackluster elements but they're still an upgrade from the previous generations.
They might be for you, they might be for me, they might not be for someone else and none of us three would be lying. Not everyone might consider 2D>3D the only objective upgrade: some people still prefer the 2D artstyle, some have other issues. They’re not an upgrade for everyone.

(Also the battle frontier is a lackluster postgame. I only tell the truth.)
Tell that to people who sunk countless hours in it enjoying themselves. It might be lackluster to you, it might be the best thing ever to someone else.

"I should be able to say I like Sword and Shield without me being told it’s lacklustre and I shouldn’t like it"
"I should be able to say I like Battle Frontier without me being told it’s lacklustre and I shouldn’t like it.

Unless you have a record of what someone has said for over 10 years you absolutely can not argue that. I was positively gushing over Sun/Moon but am not doing so for Sword/Shield.
It is absolutely unfair and wrong to use "The fandom is x so your argument is invalid." On anyone who’s not an "official representative" of the fandom and sorry for you, the post doesn’t exist.

Two lessons for you:
  1. Opinions are subjective and cannot be wrong.
  2. Empathy. Maybe try seeing things from others' point of view before calling them liars fordisagreeing with you.

The Galar Battle Tower...You can only play in Single and Double Battles now :/ From what I understand, there's also no more co-op Multi-Battles. It makes XY's post-game and Battle Maison look like a veritable gold mine...

Also, this weird Link Codes thing for online trading. They still haven't topped the PSS. Even the Festival Plaza or a similar hub world would've been preferable for multiplayer interaction...

They probably gimped out on it to shift our focus to the Wild Area.

The model was already created for LGPE-they absolutely did not cut any Pokemon to develop it for SwSh.

The textures are still different. GF modified the old one as with others from 3DS.

It's happened before-Golbat, Murkrow, and Gligar have gender differences while Crobat, Honkcrow, and Gliscor don't.

Regarding this, it's still extremely odd when Eeveelutions don't have gender differences while Eevee does. People are still whining for Eevee to get gender differences, without considering Eeveelutions don't have that at all.

(I even thought Honchkrow had gender differences.)

The textures are still different. GF modified the old one as with others from 3DS.
They would already be updating the textures for Eevee's male form. It would not take enough effort to cut out a Pokemon to repeat the process with the female textures.
Regarding this, it's still extremely odd when Eeveelutions don't have gender differences while Eevee does. People are still whining for Eevee to get gender differences, without considering Eeveelutions don't have that at all.
You keep flip flopping back and forth as to why this is such a base-breaking problem. First the issue is that a gender differences alienates purists, now the issue is that people are still asking for one?

You keep flip flopping back and forth as to why this is such a base-breaking problem. First the issue is that a gender differences alienates purists, now the issue is that people are still asking for one?

Well, it was those fans (who are asking for Eevee to get gender differences) split up the Eevee fandom since LGPE and had purists interfere them into arguments, due to the former not considering Eevee's evolved forms don't have gender variants at all. This problem is now even more controversial in SwSh, when GF listened to those fans who ask for that, and decided to make heart-tail Eevee as a gender variant instead of a special variant. This decision also, at same time, alienates purists even further.

Well, it was those fans (who are asking for Eevee to get gender differences) split up the Eevee fandom since LGPE and had purists interfere them into arguments, due to the former not considering Eevee's evolved forms don't have gender variants at all. This problem is now even more controversial in SwSh, when GF listened to those fans who ask for that, and decided to make heart-tail Eevee as a gender variant instead of a special variant. This decision also, at same time, alienates purists even further.
Again-why would this be the last straw for any purists? We've already had completely retyped Pokemon, why weren't they alienated then?

They probably gimped out on it to shift our focus to the Wild Area.
I think GameFreak gimped a lot of things in SwSh for the Wild Area. The region is rather shallow, with limited areas to explore--I doubt GameFreak's desire to make the games a far more streamlined experience totally factored into things like Glimwood Tangle not being a tangle.

"We'll make sure you spend all your time in the Wild Area... by making the rest of the region have (almost) nothing to explore, especially after you beat the game!"

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom