• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN003: Fushigisou, Isn't it Mysterious?

Where's the 'Ash's Bulbasaur will come back here and evolve!!!' crew? :sneaky: Tbh other than the plot being incredibly predictable and almost painfully dull, I'm not too happy about Jessie and James commanding Tyranitar and Gyarados if they're just gonna be reduced to fodder. thank u, next

I've now seen the episode with subtitles, so here's more of my opinions on it.

That building that looked like a GO Gym is indeed a Pokémon Gym under construction. Is the Vermilion Gym moving there perhaps? And it's also a nice reference to the Vermilion City construction site from the games.

I forgot to mention this in my first post, but I was quite surprised by the voice of Go's Rotom Phone.

It makes sense that Pikachu was able to defeat even elite-level Team Rocket Pokémon. This is the same Pikachu that recently beat Tapu Koko, after all. Plus, they were also hit by a volley of Solar Beams, so that helped too.

I think the music is perfectly okay.

Team Rocket seemed to have a little hint of their BW seriousness, but fortunately they also had a bunch of comedic moments to balance it out, so it wasn't really a problem. Gotta wonder why Giovanni seems to think so highly of them now, though, despite their lack of achievements in Alola.

Next week's episode looks interesting. Ash's first visit to Galar, and its nowhere less than the location of the region's Pokémon League! If they follow the games in that regard, that is. And, of course, we mustn't forget Go getting his first partner there as well!

Gou seems ready to propose to him, so I wonder if they're portraying his feminine side a bit too strongly.
He just wanted to ask Ash if they could be friends.

This episode was pretty meh.
While there was a conflict between Ash and Go, it didn't grab my attention that much. It missed something, maybe some more emotion and time to make it interesting.

The stuff with the Bulbasaur line wasn't that interesting either.

Team Rocket was also not really amusing in this episode. They felt like their old predictable selves, hopefully they get to do more than chasing Pikachu.
That Gatcha-machine could be fun, but Team Rocket capture episodes were pretty nice in the past. Maybe they do a mixture of both, but I have my doubts.

I liked the ending scene and Pikachu battling Team Rocket. He still knows Electroweb, which is an underrated move upgrade. It adds so much more strategy to Pikachu's battle style, so I am glad they keep it for now.
Pikachu beating Gyrados and Tyranitar, with some help, was nice to see.

5/10

This is a summary of the highlights in this episode, at least for me:
-Ash really climbs like a mankey! And it’s great to see that Pikachu is as strong as during the league, but still needed help from the ivysaurs.
  • It’s great that each episode features the differences between Ash and Go. I really like the way how Ash really wanted to help ivysaur, but Go believe humans shouldn’t interfere. Usually the group acts Ash-centric, goes where Ash wants and has some sort of unspoken agreement of what to do in every situation. Great it’s not the case with Go, this is like real life where everyone has their own point of view of what to do and how to solve a problem for every situation.
  • Am I the only one who is worried about Mr. Mime fake eating habits? Doesn’t he/she need to eat? I wonder if they added Delia’s Mr. Mime to the main cast rather than a Galarian one to make jokes like these based on the live action movie.
  • I didn’t understand very well how all the flowers blooming at the same time caused that Kaharu arrived late. Maybe someone who understands japanese can explain this one. Or maybe Koharu’s character arc is just dropping school to play Pokémon Go all day, I mean, to be a research assistant.

Okay, this episode is important because we're moving from the introduction to what we should expect from now on. I lost my ability to review so I'll just list and sort some thoughts.

Music
  • The new composer's music is good for action scenes IMO. The music during the Rocket battle was great. The new arrangement of the main theme was also good and stood out, I mean you can tell it's a new arranger and, while I'll always love Miyazaki's score, I think switching musicians does help keep things interesting if done correctly.
  • On the other hand, I think he flops for calmer scenes. His music just sounds too "modern" or "urban" to fit, i.e. I found it a bit distracting when Ash and Go were resting under the sun with the Ivysaur.

Team Rocket
  • Team Rocket is not back to serious mode, nothing to worry about here. Their first battles in each series always leave less room for comedy so I'm confident they'll be more slapsticky as the show goes on. But look how much care about Tyranitar and Gyarados' condition, petting them and all despite not even having some sort of attachment to them. They're the same lovely charming villains as always.
  • Giovanni's mecha is an easy escape for the writers. I can already tell they're just going to have Pokémon that are most convenient for each episode's plot. And they don't have to worry about character development or farewell episodes for their Pokémon anymore! It's kind of a shame to be honest. I do hope they get some regular Pokémon for themselves as the show goes on but it's too early to tell.
  • Someone please tell Giovanni he needs serotonin to live.
  • I have a gut feeling Matori won't appear as much in this series. If she does at all, but again, it's too early to know for sure.

Characterization
  • Really good. I love when we get some insight on how Ash's mindset works and it's always consistent.
  • Some foreshadowing on Go's stance on having friends. One can tell this is going to be important later. Good.
  • They established pretty well how different Ash and Go are, I hope they keep picking up on this in the future but I do fear they'll just forget.

Continuity
  • It's been pretty clear each series works as a "soft reboot" now. A single shot of Ash's past trophies is just a bone they throw at us longtime fans to say "yeah, it's the same continuity, don't worry".
  • There's no mention of Ash's Bulbasaur.
  • There's no explanation for Jenny's new outfit. Ash does recognize her though, so that's nice I guess.
  • Not that I expected any, but there's no mention of Vermilion City already having a Gym when we see one in construction.
  • Arbitrary decisions depending on what they want for each series. Delia thought Mr. Mime should stay with Ash here but she never bought up the idea in Alola.
  • Leaving Rotom in Alola only for another one to show up here and have basically the same function.
  • Opportunities for small background tidbits, like Delibird delivering TR's mecha instead of Pelipper, are not taken.
  • Loose ends from previous series are ignored. In this case, TR's explanation to Giovanni for not having any of the Pokémon they promised.

Random stuff
  • I don't want Go to use his smartphone ever again. We lost Rotom Dex for this?
  • Ash's smartphone is okay. I never liked when they put the narrator in that role either but it's just nitpicking.
  • Society is very environmentalist in this franchise. It stood out to me how there's no mention of them destroying Ivysaur's enviroment.
  • It'd be kinda funny if we say this place under construction forever just like Vermilion City in the games.
  • I know I'm questioning a lot of stuff but I overall liked the episode.

I didn’t understand very well how all the flowers blooming at the same time caused that Kaharu arrived late. Maybe someone who understands japanese can explain this one. Or maybe Koharu’s character arc is just dropping school to play Pokémon Go all day, I mean, to be a research assistant.
Subtitled version is now out. You can watch the explanation from there.
Opportunities for small background tidbits, like Delibird delivering TR's mecha instead of Pelipper, are not taken.
I think Delibird wouldn't have been strong enough to carry that big of a machine.

I'm curious to hear what this weapon Giovanni mentioned is, a sign maybe that Team Rocket might be a serious threat this series

If so, hope we get other members like Gozu, Butch and Cassidy back

I'm curious about the new Vermilion gym. Would they show it for no real reason? If the Snorlax episode doesn't introduce Galar gyms, something is up.

Bang go the high hopes I had of Team Rocket being a serious threat, was hoping for something more sinister then a machine with random Poke Balls
They still have a much better chance of being a serious threat than Team Yell do.

I think Delibird wouldn't have been strong enough to carry that big of a machine.
But it's always us who have to come with explanations as to why we don't have continuity tidbits. Has it been established that Delibird isn't strong? Would the writers really care that much about Delibird's strength to consider to have it appear or not? Team Rocket definetly didn't need Delibird to communicate with Dr. Zager back in BW, but there it was in the ending, just because it was a nice addition.

The episode of Sun & Moon that focused on Musashi's and Mimikyu's relationship, or the episode that focused on Kojirou and Hidoide's bond, were both really fantastic reminders of how much the trio cares about their pokemon. Guess we can't expect to see anything like that in this new series, huh?

This seems a weird decision in general.
My only guess is this was introduced to use Team Rocket as way to cycle through lots of old Pokémon (based off them wanting to show old Pokémon in this series).

I'm calling it now: they won't.
I don't have evidence but I don't have doubts.

The episode of Sun & Moon that focused on Musashi's and Mimikyu's relationship, or the episode that focused on Kojirou and Hidoide's bond, were both really fantastic reminders of how much the trio cares about their pokemon. Guess we can't expect to see anything like that in this new series, huh?

We did get a brief moment where Musashi and Kojiro were concerned about Bangiras and Gyarados after the double Solar Beam, so their concern for Pokemon is still there.

Despite the rentals, I hope they do both make a permanent capture. At the very least, Kojiro spending an extended period without any of his own Pokemon just doesn't sit right.

I am concerned the rental Pokeballs is going to be the symptom of a bigger problem for this series: That Pokemon team building will be next to non-existent.

Based on summaries for upcoming episodes, Go is more interesting in collecting Pokemon than using them and for all we know, Ash is just going to use Pikachu and no one else. For of the major aspects of the series were seeing various Pokemon develop throughout the journey. To have that just reserved for Pikachu and Scorbunny would not feel right.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom