• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m just curious why no one is entertaining the possibility of Game Freak giving Sinnoh its own regional gimmick rather than reusing an existing one. Seriously, what about something to do with aura?

It's not impossible, but it's hard to discuss something without any substantial proposals. "Something to do with aura" doesn't really give anything to go on (especially with how nebulously defined that sort of aura already is). How does it meaningfully differ from the existing mechanics and how does it improve upon what they've already introduced? What depth does it add to the battle system? If there's not enough to justify something new, then why wouldn't they just use an existing idea that they've already done lots of testing and balancing for instead, especially when the permutation that we have right now is barely out of the cradle?

Unless you just mean something like giving Dynamax an aura-themed reskin. I suppose if they did that, they could either ditch or at least tone down the "giant" aspect while still keeping the technical workings the same.

Plus Aura is kind of sort of Lucario's thing. It's what makes Lucario unique. Giving aura to other pokemon would just make him irrelevant, which is something Game Freak wouldn't want to do after they hyped him up so much back in gen 4 (he got his own movie for crying out loud!).

Unless you just mean something like giving Dynamax an aura-themed reskin. I suppose if they did that, they could either ditch or at least tone down the "giant" aspect while still keeping the technical workings the same.
That’s kind of where I’m getting at, yes. Maybe modifying it to work with natures rather than HP.

I’m just curious why no one is entertaining the possibility of Game Freak giving Sinnoh its own regional gimmick rather than reusing an existing one. Seriously, what about something to do with aura?
It entirely depends on the Generation the games are made in...

Gen 6: Mega Evolution - XY, ORAS
Gen 7: Z-Moves (Mega Evolution is in it since it's on the same console - 3DS) - SM, USUM, LGPE
Gen 8: Dynamax/Gigantamax - SWSH, DP Remakes

Plus Aura is kind of sort of Lucario's thing. It's what makes Lucario unique. Giving aura to other pokemon would just make him irrelevant, which is something Game Freak wouldn't want to do after they hyped him up so much back in gen 4 (he got his own movie for crying out loud!).

Well... sort of. Lucario does have a particular affinity for it, but as it stands, "aura" in the games isn't nearly as fleshed out as it is in other media, and as far as the games go, it mainly refers to pulse moves. Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Heal Pulse, Water Pulse, and Origin Pulse. Which many other Pokémon do indeed have access to - and both Clawitzer and Mega Blastoise even got a unique ability that boosts the power of those moves whereas Mega Lucario, whom one might expect to receive that ability in order to emphasize its use of aura, just got Adaptability.

Well... sort of. Lucario does have a particular affinity for it, but as it stands, "aura" in the games isn't nearly as fleshed out as it is in other media, and as far as the games go, it mainly refers to pulse moves. Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Heal Pulse, Water Pulse, and Origin Pulse. Which many other Pokémon do indeed have access to - and both Clawitzer and Mega Blastoise even got a unique ability that boosts the power of those moves whereas Mega Lucario, whom one might expect to receive that ability in order to emphasize its use of aura, just got Adaptability.
And that’s exactly why I want Game Freak to give us an aura-centric mechanic; it’s something familiar that’s present in the games but is never really more than flavor text that only other Pokémon-related media really pays attention to. Why not expand upon a familiar and somewhat-popular concept in the region that first introduced the concept?

The fact that aura is also heavily associated with the popular and marketable Lucario makes a good financial incentive for doing so! (y)
It entirely depends on the Generation the games are made in...

Gen 6: Mega Evolution - XY, ORAS
Gen 7: Z-Moves (Mega Evolution is in it since it's on the same console - 3DS) - SM, USUM, LGPE
Gen 8: Dynamax/Gigantamax - SWSH, DP Remakes
I see your point, but LGPE is actually a counter-argument: those entries didn’t actually have Z-Moves but did contain Mega Evolutions for its very-minimal post game. Even if LGPE is in a weird debatable category in terms of what generation it belongs to (if any) due to the console jump, the fact that Game Freak still considers it to be a main series entry should at least give deniable plausibility in terms of whether not Dynamax will actually carry over to a non-Galar entry.

If it does carry over, I can see it getting a reskin/rename/rework of the Dynamax mechanic since the presentation of it is a bit too Galar-centric to explain in its current form. Like @Esserise said, I think they could do-away with the whole giant aspect to help minimize the graphic issues. Optimistically, maybe Game Freak could tweak some things like replacing the HP boosts to nature-specific passive effects to add versatility and balance to the mechanic while they're at it. I wouldn't push my luck for that though.

And that’s exactly why I want Game Freak to give us an aura-centric mechanic; it’s something familiar that’s present in the games but is never really more than flavor text that only other Pokémon-related media really pays attention to. Why not expand upon a familiar and somewhat-popular concept in the region that first introduced the concept?

The fact that aura is also heavily associated with the popular and marketable Lucario makes a good financial incentive for doing so! (y)

I see your point, but LGPE is actually a counter-argument: those entries didn’t actually have Z-Moves but did contain Mega Evolutions for its very-minimal post game. Even if LGPE is in a weird debatable category in terms of what generation it belongs to (if any) due to the console jump, the fact that Game Freak still considers it to be a main series entry should at least give deniable plausibility in terms of whether not Dynamax will actually carry over to a non-Galar entry.

If it does carry over, I can see it getting a reskin/rename/rework of the Dynamax mechanic since the presentation of it is a bit too Galar-centric to explain in its current form. Like @Esserise said, I think they could do-away with the whole giant aspect to help minimize the graphic issues. Optimistically, maybe Game Freak could tweak some things like replacing the HP boosts to nature-specific passive effects to add versatility and balance to the mechanic while they're at it. I wouldn't push my luck for that though.
Mega Evolution was Kalos-centric before ORAS came out. No doubt something similar would happen for the Gen 4 Remake with it's own Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokemon.

Mega Evolution was Kalos-centric before ORAS came out. No doubt something similar would happen for the Gen 4 Remake with it's own Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokemon.
Sinnoh can't have Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing in it
unless they retcon Sword & Shield's lore and have Eternatus attack Sinnoh too during The Darkest Day.

Sinnoh can't have Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing in it
unless they retcon Sword & Shield's lore and have Eternatus attack Sinnoh too during The Darkest Day.
Remember Megas and ORAS? GameFreak's no stranger to "retcons". Technically it won’t even be a retcon since every game is in its own universe now.

Remember Megas and ORAS? GameFreak's no stranger to "retcons". Technically it won’t even be a retcon since every game is in its own universe now.
It would be massive retconning and it would destroy Sinnoh's culture and themes. They wouldn't be DP remakes anymore. They would just be Sword & Shield, but set in Sinnoh instead of Galar.

It would be massive retconning and it would destroy Sinnoh's culture and themes. They wouldn't be DP remakes anymore. They would just be Sword & Shield, but set in Sinnoh instead of Galar.

As much as I don’t want Dynamaxing, this is ridiculously hyperbolic. In fact, we’ve had a discussion on how Sinnoh won’t become a copy of Galar again. Maybe try coming up with new arguments?

I don’t know why are you encouraging people to go all fearful and negative on a game which we don’t even know exists yet. I get that you hate the idea of Sinnoh remakes, so there’s really no need to sour the idea for the rest of us for a game which we're quite literally just speculating about.

I’m sorry, but this thread for discussing the remake for my first ever main series games is becoming a really sour experience because of this constant easily debunked and unnecessary negative fear mongering which crops up every time. The people who don’t like the idea of the remakes simply have the option to not do so.

I really don’t want to come off as mean or rude but it’s literally the fourth time I’ve seen "Sinnoh will turn into Galar copy" on this thread.
Not malicious, but maybe try reading the responses to your posts?

As much as I don’t want Dynamaxing, this is ridiculously hyperbolic. In fact, we’ve had a discussion on how Sinnoh won’t become a copy of Galar again. Maybe try coming up with new arguments?

I don’t know why are you encouraging people to go all fearful and negative on a game which we don’t even know exists yet. I get that you hate the idea of Sinnoh remakes, so there’s really no need to sour the idea for the rest of us for a game which we're quite literally just speculating about.
People are already being fearful and negative to begin with, especially considering what Sword & Shield ended up playing like.

There are legitimate reasons to be negative about these games, especially considering that it is highly likely that they will end up as hyper-casualized games with a built in EXP share, all puzzles significantly simplified, and with less Pokemon than the original games had.

There are legitimate reasons to be negative about these games, especially considering that it is highly likely that they will end up as hyper-casualized games with a built in EXP share, all puzzles significantly simplified, and with less Pokemon than the original games had.
But at this point, you're just repeating the same tired arguments of why you wouldn't want a DP remake and then making that a generalization.

But at this point, you're just repeating the same tired arguments of why you wouldn't want a DP remake.
This is not just my concerns about what the games would be like, and you users should stop harassing people for posting negative comments about the games.

This is not just my concerns about what the games would be like, and you users should stop harassing people for posting negative comments about the games.
Maybe you should be the one to stop fear-mongering on speculation threads when the games themselves haven't been announced yet. It gets annoying when we have to see the same things over and over again.

Last edited:
Well, how about this: If I were to play devil's advocate, I'd say they could do Sinnoh remakes with very few additions. That is to say since Dexit they have made it clear that each game will have its own Dex going on. Therefore, in the Sinnoh remakes, they could just keep the Regular bare Sinnoh Dex with no new forms, Megas, or Pokemon. They would almost have to keep some new moves, stats, and types (fairy). You might argue that they need to keep the main gimmick and Pokemon from the same generation, but then Let's Go did not. LGPE only had Alolan forms, some updated moves, and stats. Let's Go did not have access to other current Gen Pokemon or Z-Moves. Despite being like a side series, GameFreak themselves have referred to the Let's Go games as main series.

The point is GameFreak can do whatever they want, and remove or bring back whatever features they feel. Sinnoh remakes won't be a Let's Go game if they happen this generation, but just know GameFreak can do whatever they want. Especially since the Anime has Ash travel the Pokemon world. That means if they wait until like Gen to release DP remakes, they can shift the focus of the Anime to more heavily focus on Sinnoh and whatever changes they make to the region.

That being said, I think it would be awful to have only one set Generation 8 game with the new Pokemon. Especially if they hope that it lasts the entire three to four year generation. I think they would do well to allow the Galar pokemon into the Sinnoh expanded Dex, and maybe a few other cross-generation evolutions and forms from there. That way, the Galar pokemon are still relevant in their own generation, even if not their region.

The amount of times he himself mentioned his undefeated Charizard, his champion status, his "Champion time" and again, him being undefeated is obnoxious to me.

There might be a bit of a regional dialect thing here but I didn't find Leon's use of the term Champion all the time to be obnoxious, it actually made me read all his speech in a Mancunian accent as champion is often used just as a word for good. To me it just made him super cheesey, like he was constantly making the same bad pun...which I found kind of endearing in a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom