• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh 3rd Version/Sequels?

Would You Like Some?

• YAY! (I love the new stuff!)

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • NAY! (That's what DLC is for!)

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • We might not get any like with Gen 6...

Votes: 23 35.4%

• Total voters
I knew that leak was fake as soon as he said Temporal Diamond and Spacial Pearl, those have been the fan names for hypothetical Diamond and Pearl remakes for as long as people have been seriously discussing Sinnoh remakes, I guess since ORAS came out. It's so clearly a joke that it's hard to believe anyone actually took him seriously.

I'll be mildly upset if they release any more Galar games but not nearly as much as I was with Gen 7, with Gen 7 they REALLY threw me for a curve ball and pulled a "bait and switch" and effectively stole money from me. With Gen 6 I only bought Y because I was fully expecting a Z Version to be released in 2015 or 2016 after ORAS, once SM were announced, I did in fact buy X because I do like to have 2 games of every region, for example, as a kid I owned Ruby and Emerald as well as Diamond and Platinum, only later did I acquire copies of Sapphire and Pearl, but anyways, nonetheless, I try to only stick to one paired version and then buy the third version as my second game, so I waited and waited for Z and it didn't show up, despite the signs CLEARLY being there that Z should've been a real game, the anime went from XY to XY&Z, Zygarde had a MAJOR role in the anime plot and all the signs pointed to Zygarde playing a prominent role in a Z Version, I believe Z was even trademarked, similar to Grey and Delta Emerald. So when SM came out, I was a little upset we didn't get the Kalos experience we deserved, but at the same time, Sun and Moon felt like relatively complete games, and the incompletion of the Necrozma story felt like something they could shove into the next games like they did with Zygarde in SM. When we got not one but TWO third versions I was furious because I bought both titles fully expecting there not to be a third version since they hadn't done one since Platinum, but then they went and made not sequels, not one third version, but two third versions. So thus far I've only bought Sword and honestly, Sword has satisfied me enough and I don't even think Galar should have a third version now. Move onto Sinnoh remakes and then Johto remakes a year or two after.

Personally, I am usually much more interested in seeing them do more with the series's newer ideas than I am in waxing nostalgic about its older ones, so Sinnoh remakes can only appeal to me so much. Even though I think Sinnoh remakes are more likely, I'd probably be a lot more excited for another Galar game, as long as they did enough to make it distinct from Sword & Shield. It would have to be a sequel at the very least.

I can't believe it, but there's actually someone who screen-capped a 4chan post and put them on Instagram of all places rather than Twitter.

Seems like a troll post, but I'd like a second opinion.

I really don't believe in that one, while TPC's CEO did think the Switch was going to flop, going complete mobile would kill Game Freak's business since they are known to stick to first-party consoles, even the game Pulseman stuck to the previously first-party Sega console through the Sega Genesis. Either way, Nintendo has the larger say on where the main series Pokemon games go because Creatures Inc. is a Nintendo studious.

Secondly, Galar's third legendary already got a story of its own in Sword and Shield, having a follow-up Galar game before a remake would defeat the point of that story taking place in the first pair of games.

If we get anything else for SWSH I would prefer they go back to sequels rather than enhanced versions of the same game, especially now with the price increase... not just because I loved B2W2 and want to see that again, but the chaos that would ensue in the fanbase if a 3rd version was announced at this point... I don't even want to think about it. Though on the other hand, at this point I feel some people won't be happy even if it's Sinnoh remakes.

If they do a third version, I hope they at least don't do it RIGHT after SWSH like they did with SM and USUM. If I remember correctly, with the other third versions there was at least some gap of more than a year, maybe even another game in between.

I can see some things that they could potentially fix in a third version and would honestly probably still eventually be excited and buy it, but I'd probably be pretty disappointed at the announcement at first, at least if it's too soon after the original games came out and there's no break or anything in between.

Take anything you read on 4chan with a pinch of--actually, take it with hand full of salt, followed by something tasty to wash it down. Especially when it sound THAT bogus.

Say what you will about how GameFreak and TPCI does things, but they wouldn't not THAT stupid.

Last edited:
If we get anything else for SWSH I would prefer they go back to sequels rather than enhanced versions of the same game, especially now with the price increase... not just because I loved B2W2 and want to see that again, but the chaos that would ensue in the fanbase if a 3rd version was announced at this point... I don't even want to think about it. Though on the other hand, at this point I feel some people won't be happy even if it's Sinnoh remakes.

If they do a third version, I hope they at least don't do it RIGHT after SWSH like they did with SM and USUM. If I remember correctly, with the other third versions there was at least some gap of more than a year, maybe even another game in between.

I can see some things that they could potentially fix in a third version and would honestly probably still eventually be excited and buy it, but I'd probably be pretty disappointed at the announcement at first, at least if it's too soon after the original games came out and there's no break or anything in between.

Although I did just bash the idea of a third version a few posts ago, I will say this, I'd much rather have ONE third version than have two, I thoroughly enjoyed Emerald and Platinum and I still standby my opinion that they're the two best Pokemon games when you take into consideration the eras they came out in. At the time those were top notch games. I hated the USUM approach although I can see why maybe Gamefreak felt they wrote themselves into a corner and had no other option, because Nebby has to evolve into SOMETHING, and what it evolves into depends on the title legendary, but they could've just wrote in an in-game decision that determines what it evolves into, for example, making the Altar of the Sunne and Moone two different locations, and Lillie asking you "I read about both altars in a book, but which one should we take Nebby to?" and then you choose the altar and that creates your decision for the game. So while I can see why Gamefreak maybe thought they had to do two games, but I also wrote them out of that box just now. How they'd go about deciding who gets Zacian or Zamazenta is up to the devs, or they could take the Emerald/Platinum approach and just literally make both available to you. As many have mentioned, the story already plays out like a third version, which is why I don't honestly see the need for one, Eternatus has it's powered-up "Eternamax" form and you defeat it with both title legendaries, this plays like a Platinum, vs. a Diamond or Pearl, so I genuinely see no need for a third version or dual third versions, I've said this before and I'll say it again, but I think if they want to take full advantage of the Switch, Gen 8 could be the first generation to have 2+ remakes of past gens, I'd like to see Sinnoh and Johto remakes in this generation, there has to be a reason why the anime is going to all the regions and I think this is why, they can do several remakes in a row before Gen 9, Gamefreak has been all about breaking patterns since BW2 came out instead of Grey, no Z came out, USUM instead of Stars/Eclipse, and LGPE, a third version remake, instead of RB remakes. I don't think the "they haven't done that before so they'll never do it" argument holds up anymore. Gamefreak could very well make a multi-region game, I think that'd be awesome. A game based in all the Japanese-inspired regions would be AWESOME and would replace the need for a Johto or Sinnoh remake or a Hoenn re-remake 5-10 years down the line, like what we got with LGPE.

Last edited:
So while I can see why Gamefreak maybe thought they had to do two games, but I also wrote them out of that box just now.

Well that's the thing, is it's not really about that. Plot doesn't matter. They can cook up whatever excuse they need for any story beats. The reason for making two super versions of Sun & Moon is, charitably, because they have a much considerably higher amount of version-exclusive content and features than Ruby & Sapphire or Diamond & Pearl did, or, cynically, because paired games make more money. Manipulating consumer perception may also be a part of it - making the games look more like a B2W2-sort of thing, even though they weren't.

As many have mentioned, the story already plays out like a third version, which is why I don't honestly see the need for one, Eternatus has it's powered-up "Eternamax" form and you defeat it with both title legendaries, this plays like a Platinum, vs. a Diamond or Pearl, so I genuinely see no need for a third version or dual third versions

I mean, for my part, I like the prospect of a second Galar game, but I don't really think it would have to be about Eternatus. I think they can be more creative than that if they really try. If they seriously can't think of anything to do, any other way to tell a story aside from endlessly recycling "two diametrically opposed Legendaries and then another game about an overpowered dragon, or just retelling one of our old hits" then that's pretty dire.

Frankly, I don't even think we ever "needed" any of the existing super versions, or even B2W2. It's not like anyone forced them to create Rayquaza or Kyurem or Necrozma, or forced them to not tell their complete stories in the base games. Those were all conscious choices. Those Pokémon are all just excuses, designed from the outset for the sake of having something to slap on the cover their rehash games. But Zygarde shows that even if they design a Pokémon with an incomplete form, they can develop that idea without having to copy/paste an entire game and resell it at full price, and Eternatus now shows that they can involve a third-game Legendary in the plot of the initial paired games just fine. And with DLC being a doable thing as well now, I think the justifications for the "dual versions, then a super version(s) that retells that story with a different climax" paradigm are rapidly eroding. But I don't see any reason why Galar couldn't be used as a setting for another game with an altogether different story, especially since they're more open to introducing new Pokémon in the middle of a generation now. They have all the tools they need to avoid the banal and predictable route while still building on the strengths of the current region - it's just a matter of, "Will they actually use them?"

Personally, I don't think so, even though I wish they would. Realistically I think they'll just churn out some Sinnoh remakes and call it a day. But I don't find that nearly as interesting as what they could do.

Personally, I think I would prefer Sinnoh remakes since I never played Diamond and Pearl. I do hope they would add in some extra features and improvements over the originals. In other words, make it more like HGSS than ORAS.

Personally, I think I would prefer Sinnoh remakes since I never played Diamond and Pearl. I do hope they would add in some extra features and improvements over the originals. In other words, make it more like HGSS than ORAS.

The Sinnoh games have unfortunately not aged extremely well, barring Platinum. I can't stand to replay Diamond or Pearl because the games were functionally very slow. Of course as a kid I didn't know any better, but looking back, they're the slowest-moving games in the franchise. Platinum fixed this issue and HGSS was built on top of Platinum's engine which was nice. Despite not having aged well, some of my fondest memories as a kid are of playing Diamond, Platinum, and SoulSilver, if Gen 3 is the generation that made me a fan, Gen 4 is the generation I grew up with and that kept me a fan. Sinnoh and Hoenn are my two favorite regions after all and that's obviously no coincidence. ORAS, despite its flaws, were some of the most enjoyable games for me of recent years, my first game was Ruby in 2003 so getting to play Omega Ruby which came out on my 17th birthday no less was a nice "homecoming" of sorts and I'm getting the same feeling about Sinnoh that I REALLY want Sinnoh remakes like next year although I'm skeptical of whether or not that's the approach Gamefreak will take. Sinnoh is an awesome region and also one of the biggest, I believe it rivals Johto and Kanto combined in its size, Sinnoh remakes definitely deserve to happen.

I think we will get something with Sword and Shield but it won't be before Diamond and Pearl remakes. Though I could see them doing squeals to SwSh, I kinda wonder about DLC honestly. I mean, those beast balls are a bit weird to have in the game if there are no Ultra Beasts... And there were data miners who said things were scrubbed. The 2 mythicals we will get later for example. They were Scrubbed. They just have happened to find some ID number somewhere that was missed. DLC honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point.

I am hoping that they make this thing called the underground alot like the wild area and have more multiplayer stuff than SwSh.

Personally, I don't think so, even though I wish they would. Realistically I think they'll just churn out some Sinnoh remakes and call it a day. But I don't find that nearly as interesting as what they could do.[/B]

I’m having flashbacks of the various ambitious game ideas about a possible Kanto and Johto re-remake with revamped stories, new Pokemon, regional variants or even Rainbow Rocket... only for us to get LGPE.

The endgame of Sword and Shield seemingly set themselves up for sequels. Sonia can come into her role as the new professor and Hop as assistant a la Bianca. I have tons more ideas about new stories, gyms and even Pokémon (like the Ultra games) but I don’t want to get my hopes up too high :p

If they’re really not gonna go the DLC route, Sword and Shield 2 are the only acceptable option in my opinion because of the backlash they are getting right now. Ultra versions or even a third version with fixes and an expanded Dex have the potential to be really insulting.

The endgame of Sword and Shield seemingly set themselves up for sequels. Sonia can come into her role as the new professor and Hop as assistant a la Bianca. I have tons more ideas about new stories, gyms and even Pokémon (like the Ultra games) but I don’t want to get my hopes up too high :p

If they’re really not gonna go the DLC route, Sword and Shield 2 are the only acceptable option in my opinion because of the backlash they are getting right now. Ultra versions or even a third version with fixes and an expanded Dex have the potential to be really insulting.

Honestly, the fact that it has the potential to be really insulting makes me all the more certain that it’s going to happen.

They need to announce DLC in early 2020 if that is their agenda. I don't think that games are just randomly updated after a long period.

Take anything you read on 4chan with a pinch of--actually, take it with hand full of salt, followed by something tasty to wash it down. Especially when it sound THAT bogus.

Say what you will about how GameFreak and TPCI does things, but they wouldn't not THAT stupid.

I mean Ohmori's response to why the option to turn off the exp share was removed was that most people were keep it on and he followed up with this gem of wisdom.

“Those who have it turned off want to train one specific Pokemon. We thought: is there a way to achieve that? There is, simply by putting the rest of your Pokémon in the PC.”

With that out of the way I don't think they are self sabotage dumb, but they are pretty dumb at times.

Source:Game Freak on the removal of Exp. Share in Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield - Nintendo Everything

Last edited:
One game as a sequel would be enjoyable if the story was done properly.

I’d enjoy seeing a version where we become the cousin of the champion, we follow a pattern similar to Hop’s and he becomes a mentor. I’d enjoy seeing new rivals in the gym challenge. Leon taking a similar role to Chairman Rose and running the gym challenge, but not worrying about the future of Galar. I’d like the player to see Rose in an isolated house under house arrest, where he gathers loyal followers to campaign for environmental change.

A post game visit to Lumiose City on one of Galar’s trains from Wyndon would be really fun, I’d like a new area like Ireland. I’d actually like the gym challenge to be reformed to include a more official Elite Four.

As for legendaries, I really liked the story of the unknown legends. It would be nice to travel through Galar again and have people discussing this groundbreaking change to their history. Hop should still have Zacian/Zamazenta in a surprise twist. Early on in the game you could find either the rusted sword or rusted shield and whichever you choose Hop has the opposite legendary.

Eternatus should return on it’s own accord, changing the weather of certain areas. It would be really interesting to turn the snowy area before Chirchester become baron and sparce due to Eternatus’s impact.

The Wild Area has such a rich opportunity for something to happen. I’d like more in game trainers to be present truth be told.

I’d also add an unexpected “gift Pokémon” that just decides to travel with you in the form of Riolu, Zorua or Dragonair. And give it’s evolution a guaranteed G-Max form for the player, the lack of these was surprising.

“Those who have it turned off want to train one specific Pokemon. We thought: is there a way to achieve that? There is, simply by putting the rest of your Pokémon in the PC.”
I'm... I'm almost speechless. Like, the stupidity is both baffling and frustrating. Surely someone pointed out how that needlessly inconveniences those players, and doesn't factor in that some people (most likely the majority of people that want the exp share off) like to make the games more difficult but still use more than one Pokémon. Like, why gut the option instead of forcing players to have to open a menu, open another menu, press a button, and then actually select and move the Pokémon? Especially since the option harms literally no one. Grrrr....

View attachment 129221I'm... I'm almost speechless. Like, the stupidity is both baffling and frustrating. Surely someone pointed out how that needlessly inconveniences those players, and doesn't factor in that some people (most likely the majority of people that want the exp share off) like to make the games more difficult but still use more than one Pokémon. Like, why gut the option instead of forcing players to have to open a menu, open another menu, press a button, and then actually select and move the Pokémon? Especially since the option harms literally no one. Grrrr....
Completely agree with you on this one, the Exp Share was perfect as a held item because it still ensured the Pokemon who was behind the others could catch up without making the game too easy.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom