• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Anime Pet Peeves

Fan of Jarrus

Kanan Jarrus is a Noble Jedi
Reaction score
Mine are character favouritism and overuse of the Worf Effect. Like Digimon Adventure does.

Females who are fanservice and the team pervert. One Piece and others.

I guess the constant use of flashbacks that some anime/manga/LN have, not enough to where I want to drop a series cause of it but it's kinda annoying. Another one I find annoying (moreso) is the constant use of "EHHHHH!?" that the occasional female characters do, regardless if it's in Japanese or English it's pretty grating to me that it sometimes lessens my opinion of that character; though if in an appropriate situation I don't mind it as much, still annoying but I'll give it a pass.

Otherwise I don't really have any other pet peeve, I generally like a lot of archetypes that some might find annoying/stupid like ditzy MC's, fanservice, token pervert, any of the -dere types, etc.

My two main peeves are: Sexual harassment being played for laughs or not called out on in any way (A particular offender being the constant use of characters grabbing another's breasts) and characters REFUSING to talk to each other and wind up dragging out problems and misunderstandings for the sake of dragging out drama. UGH.

Hate fanservice and perverts, too.

Definitely fanservice and perverted characters. Especially perverted characters like that one guy from MHA (I don't remember his name, but he has the detachable hair as his ability or whatever) and Meliodas from SDS. At least the MHA guy gets punished for his actions (not that it makes it good or anything), but Meliodas is so bad that I dropped SDS because of him. I should have dropped it in the beginning when he groped Elizabeth while she was unconscious. That was horrible. (And I've heard how the story goes in the future, NOTHING justifies what he did there, and nothing ever can)

In a less reprehensible sense and more straight-up annoying sense, I really dislike the "master of the villain" trope (not an actual TV Trope, I don't know what else to call it). The two biggest offenders I can think of are Babadi from DBZ and Kira's dad from JJBA Part 4. This archetype is just annoying. They have annoying voices, they annoyingly stay in the background for a long time without the protagonists doing anything about them (even though they're always right there!), they annoyingly commentate on everything that happens to the villain, and they overreact when the villain takes the slightest bit of a hit.

like that one guy from MHA (I don't remember his name, but he has the detachable hair as his ability or whatever)
that's mineta

i hate tsunderes, and himederes (but then there's me liking hiyoko saionji and nico yazawa), characters that hate someone for no reason, bland mc, the power of FrIeNdShIp, that one girl in the group that just hates everyone (cough cough maki nishinkino, maki harukawa), the mc's little sister being in the harem like what, and one specific to idol anime:

The person who doesn't let the group happen for pretty much no reason or some weird experience that ked them to hate idol groups and needs coaxing from everyone to let it happen and immeadietly joins the idol group like the experience never happened. Or maybe literally Eli Ayase from Love Live, or Dia Kurosawa from Love Live Sunshine.

I tend to get much more annoyed by fanservice pretending to be funny. Slapping zany music over the top of it doesn't make a joke.

characters REFUSING to talk to each other and wind up dragging out problems and misunderstandings for the sake of dragging out drama.

I can rarely put up with it when the characters are teenagers, and written painfully teenager enough for it to feel real. Doesn't often happen in anime, though

Related to that, characters explaining each other's motivations at length and in nonsensical ways - for the sake of drama. "Ah, you don't really want to buy blue hair-chan a gift because of the motive the author's shown, you want to do it because you're selfish really, and the audience now knows you're selfish because I've just told them".

Fanservice. Specially when that's almost the only trait of that character, like Poison from Final Fight and Mai from Fatal Fury (they are videogames, but they fit what I'm trying to say).

Screechy female voices, which is the reason I sometimes prefer to watch things dubbed.

The "accidental pervert" trope. Specially when the character on the receiving end was actually trying to help the girl(s). Doraemon had this happen to Nobita sometimes.

Characters so obsessed with a loved one that they end up looking like creeps, like Sakura from Naruto.

Inconsistent dubbing: While the LA Pokémon had a (partial) excuse for that (studios changed at various points in time), the Yu-Gi-Oh! dub didn't have that. On the plus side for YGO, the terminology was better than the half-translated mess that is the one used in the Spanish TCG (if I had the time I would re-translate the whole game from scratch).

Boring/unlikable protagonists. This is why I couldn't really get into Naruto, since I found Naruto annoying, Sasuke boring and Sakura creepy. I would have preferred a manga about any of the other characters.

I have not seen this in anime yet, but I bet it is there since it is everywhere else: the obligatory sex scene. Bonus points if the scene comes in the middle of nowhere.

The "double standard: abuse, female on male" trope. While I managed to watch Mirai Nikki my biggest complaint is that the manga would not be allowed anywhere if Yuki was a girl and Yuno was a guy. Seriously, that was one fucked up relationship (that ended in Stockholm Syndrome, to boot).

Also villians that get worshipped for being overpowered by some fan. Like Vamdemon or Myotismon.
How is overpowering armies good writing? He is a Perfect level Digimon. Not a Ultimate god level.
Metalgreymon was not allowed to kill him when they first fought.

Fanservice is overrated. As are super-ugly gonk faces that make the characters look like constipated gorillas.

I also can't stand sudden extreme close-ups of characters' faces that take up the entire screen. It's too creepy.

Male characters who are too polite to stand up for themselves out of fear they'll be seen as a bully and just allow themselves to be complete doormats, especially in harems. In fact, harems in general just annoy me.

Characters who smile without showing teeth, almost like they've pulled their lips over their teeth to hide them.

Male characters who are in their late teens or even early twenties and are still voiced by women, even though they're clearly old enough to have deep broken voices by now. I know boys tend to hit puberty later than girls and it's often done to show the character's lack of maturity, but I find it really jarring, especially if the character in question looks feminine. It's like the reverse of this re-emerging trend in Western animation where you have very young boy characters being voiced by full-grown men instead of actual boys or women who can do boyish voices.

Last edited:
When a female character (usually someone rich and snobby) has an annoying laugh.

Anime boys who are dumb in school, and is usually either late for school, falls asleep in class, and get low grades most of the time but will exhibit more intelligence outside of school.

Certain girls (I think the term is "tsundere") that are so easy to anger and get violent to varying degrees because its apparently funny and then chill out over time.

Those high pitched voices, especially on supposedly teenaged characters. They're not cute at all, just hurts my ears.
Oh and characters living on their own despite being in high school. Dorms are understandable, but how a teenager still in school could afford a flat is beyond me. Shouldn't they have parents or a legal guardian?

Last edited:
Oh and characters living on their own despite being in high school. Dorms are understandable, but how a teenager still in school can afford a flat is beyond me. Where's their parents? Or their legal guardian for that matter?

That always bugs me too, though not nearly as much as other stuff.

Oh! Here's another anime pet peeve that always grinds my gears: Characters becoming friends simply because...they're classmates and talked for a few seconds. Uhh...no, that is not a serious foundation for a friendship. As someone who has always had trouble making friends in the past, I find it really shallow that anime characters are shown becoming super best friends forever solely because they go to the same school or share the same homeroom. There needs to be something more substantial than that, like...I don't know, a common hobby or past time. I've heard that some cultures consider close relationships with people you went to school/work with important despite some people never having interacted before, and I really don't get why. Any friends I made were all based on the fact that we have common interests, not solely because we just happen to go to the same school.

Oh and characters living on their own despite being in high school. Dorms are understandable, but how a teenager still in school could afford a flat is beyond me. Shouldn't they have parents or a legal guardian?

I read somewhere that in Japan, some families rent out apartments nearer to their kids' high school and their kids live in them so that they don't have to worry about a long commute or the whole family having to relocate. Though in some areas, they are required by law to have an adult family member or guardian to check on them regularly.

Last edited:
Old men enjoying too much eye candy that is younger women, even if they're legal age, the age difference is too significant. It'll be tough looking at Yugi's grandpa the same way again. This is one thing 4Kids should receive thanks for. What is Japan thinking sometimes? By extension having children as major if not main characters in something that's clearly not kid friendly. Even more extension the mere existence of hentai.

Honorifics. I know its part of Japanese culture and its for the sake of manners, but eh it just seems like a waste of time during an emergency.

Old men enjoying too much eye candy that is younger women, even if they're legal age, the age difference is too significant. It'll be tough looking at Yugi's grandpa the same way again. This is one thing 4Kids should receive thanks for.
Wait, what???? I hate you so much for pointing out that Solomon was like that to me. Also, another one that was creepy was the guy from "Beauty and the Beach", you know, the "if you were 8 years older you could be having fun with me" guy (might be misremembering the exact quote).

Honorifics. I know its part of Japanese culture and its for the sake of manners, but eh it just seems like a waste of time during an emergency.
I think in my case would be "honorifics in translation". Hearing Japanese people use honorifics sound natural to me. Hearing people speaking in English or Spanish using Japanese honorifics? Not so much. This also applies to subtitles and manga translations.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom