• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN004: Let's Go to the Galar Region! An Encounter with Hibanny!!

What an enjoyment and heretic episode. Also, a little bit of emotional from Scorbunny of letting Nickit taken care for themselves after learning the technique.

Overall rating: B+

I enjoyed the episode to a degree, but it really felt a bit long-winded in the middle there. I did enjoy the relationship Scorbunny had with the Nicket trio and I especially liked their goodbye scene. I'm still not feeling the music and the fact that Wyndon could have been literally any city in any region where it not for that one shot of the train station was actually quite frustrating given how much the city has to offer in the games. A definite improvement on 'let's remake Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden but take out the charm of that episode and shohorn a ton of references to other Original Series episodes and a Team Rocket filler villain attack' from last week, but this series really needs to pick up the paces if it wants to retain my interest long-term. We also need to get Koharu into it more, the lack of a mainstay female character isn't doing the series any favors.

Edit:
One other thing I liked was seeing the flashback of the Machop stomping the land flat in the construction of the new Gym, as if an answer to the question of what that old man was building the world first asked nearly a quarter of a century ago.
Never mind, that was last week, shouldn't have waited until right before the episode to watch last week's.

Last edited:
One other thing I liked was seeing the flashback of the Machop stomping the land flat in the construction of the new Gym, as if an answer to the question of what that old man was building the world first asked nearly a quarter of a century ago.
That's from the previous episode and it wasn't a flashback. Am I missing something?

shohorn a ton of references to other Original Series episodes
I don't understand what this means except for the obvious Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden inspiration, either.

That's from the previous episode and it wasn't a flashback. Am I missing something?
I watched last week's episode before watching this one and confused myself, my bad. I'll post it in that thread.

I don't understand what this means except for the obvious Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden inspiration, either.
Mainly the Team Rocket filler attack reminiscent of so many other episodes in the past 20+ years and the scene of Jenny describing Team Rocket reminded me of both the scene where Jenny is talking about the massive vacuum and a giant hose theft as well as Team Rocket's original wanted posters.

I just think this episode was just a massive load of missed potential. Satoshi and Go have travelled to the brand new region from the latest games... so why isn't the show trying to impress us with these. Our first look at Galar, and only two new Pokemon appear? There couldn't have been a single cameo? What about when Satoshi runs into a Nyula in the alley... couldn't it have been something new? How about a Kokogara flying overhead? Or a trainer walking by with... well, anything from Generation VIII.

Speaking of, the animators did a lousy job selling Shoot City to us. This is Galar's capitol, and is a city in the games which has a lot to offer both in design and in places to visit... but you would never guess that from this episode. Shoot City could have been any other city. Where was the clock, or the ferris wheel, or the stadium or Rose Tower? Couldn't Satoshi and Go explore the city while waiting for their next train? No, instead all we get is the train station, the scone cafe (which could easily have been designed after the Battle Cafe in the games), the alley and then back again. Nothing made this place stand out. It could have been any other nameless city from any of the other series. I appreciate fully that graphics advances mean that a lot more of the game locations are on display so there's little left to the imagination now, but the animators should be rising to the challenge, instead of just giving us boring brown buildings with nothing remarkable around. So yeah, this episode was a serious disappointment.

Story wise... felt like a bit of a rehash really. Starter Pokemon pals around with a bunch of thieves, like we haven't seen that before. And I call bullcrap on the Pokedex being unable to identify it when earlier models could see through Nyarth's disguises.

Last edited:
And the music continues to be bland and forgettable. Completely took the edge of the Pikachu/Hibanny battle. If that's the kind of music that will play during battles and action segments then there is no saving this new series. Guess the battle-centric PM07 will give us the answers. But for now this new composer has just delivered garbage. It's as if he just took his style from My Hero Academia and inserted it into Pokemon and called it a day. SPOILER: It doesn't work.

So the previews kept showing Scorbunny kicking Pikachu in the face and the summary talked about a "powerful kick"
Then the actual fight was a swift and brutal demonstration of "low level street criminal VS combat sports champion."
Also Scorbunny's not the brightest bulb if it gets wrecked then attacks Ash right after. Although Pikachu still keeps forgetting that electricity isn't a precise weapon.
This is why Ash should keep Sceptile around. It could precisely smash Scorbunny without hitting him too.

I think they've been having Ash attacked by Pokémon a bit too much so far. Hopefully they'll tone it down.

To be fair, new software releases lacking features of previous versions happens in the real world.

Is UK really that boring? This episode made it seem like the most uninteresting place in the world.

Like if, someone was watching the Anime after 10 or so years and just watched this episode without any background knowledge that it is Galar. They could easily have mistaken this episode for one of those "Mysterious Pokemon Traps Ash and his Friends into Fantasy Land"...

One thing I was pleased to see was the Pikachu vs Scorbunny didn't turn out to be a repeat of Trip's Snivy vs Pikachu

Just a shame Ash didn't throw a Poke Ball and yes, I know it is to be Go's

So the question is 'what are they going for'.

I mean I can appreciate the fact that Scorbunny wasn't abused or near an abusive trainer like every Fire-type Starter not named Torchic and Litten....but tis about it.

Almost seems like the anime direction is trying to do a lot of what we'd want (like no Snivy fight repeats), but without much of a solid direction.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom