• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Gen8 fossil discussion thread

(Incidentally, I wonder what it feels like for Nebby to have its whole body temporarily converted into energy whenever Necrozma Ultra Bursts?
Does Nebby feel anything at all, or does having its consciousness suppressed make it feel basically like taking a nap?)
I’m leaning towards the latter, since no living organism would probably “feel” anything if they were converted from matter to energy and again into matter.

Rather than mitigate it, they made the description in Sword more sorry-sounding.
Ultra version: “Lunala loses free will”
Sword version: “this unfortunate Pokemon...”

And interestingly only Dawn Wings gets the more heart wrenching and “explicit” entries. Dusk Mane either focuses on the fury or just makes a mention of Necrozma’s domination. I personally found the Dawn Wing entries darker comparatively.

(Incidentally, I wonder what it feels like for Nebby to have its whole body temporarily converted into energy whenever Necrozma Ultra Bursts? Broken Necrozma and Woken Necrozma weigh the exact same, because only the prism armor pieces are composed of matter - the dragon body is made of light energy and is thus weightless. But Nebby's body used to be part of the equation, because the weight data for Dusk and Dawn Necrozma is indeed Solgaleo/Lunala's weight + Necrozma's weight. Does Nebby feel anything at all, or does having its consciousness suppressed make it feel basically like taking a nap?)
What if it's actually the other way around? What I mean is, maybe Ultra Necrozma only happens because Nebby is taking a nap, allowing its energy to be dispersed and used the way it is.

Nebby: Prism guy, I'm gonna tap a nap, okay?

Necrozma: But we're in the middle of a battle! Can't you wai--

Nebby sleeps

Necrozma: Oh great, now what am I going to do now?

Necrozma starts to transform

Necrozma: Wait, what's happening to our body?! I feel-- I FEEL POWER FLOWING THROUGH ME! BOW BEFORE MY MIGHT!!!!

maybe Ultra Necrozma only happens because Nebby is taking a nap

The problem with this is: Nebby is pretty much “asleep” the entire time it’s fused. It’s got no free will that can impact the fused life form in any way. Necrozma is the only conscious force active in Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings.

I tried looking for her name in the Spanish version to see if she also has a punny name, and her name is Carmen Babia there. Even though I'm a native Spanish speaker I have no idea what are they referencing with her.

Hmm… maybe they were trying to reference “Babel”, as a different way to indicate confusion/mishmash? Other than that, I wouldn’t know what Spanish pun they were trying to pull with that name.

I’m leaning towards the latter, since no living organism would probably “feel” anything if they were converted from matter to energy and again into matter.
But that also begs the question as what's going on with Pokemon when in their ball, as they seem to be converted to energy too (and we don't know what's going on inside them)

In lieu of that, it might be best to permanently store these poor revived fossils in the PC until we find a way to make them used to their new existence...

But that also begs the question as what's going on with Pokemon when in their ball, as they seem to be converted to energy too (and we don't know what's going on inside them)

In lieu of that, it might be best to permanently store these poor revived fossils in the PC until we find a way to make them used to their new existence...
We've seen Pokemon move their balls around in LGPE, and we've seen their environment interact with them even while they're in storage, such as seeing them move with the player on the lower screen when Amie was a thing, or Poke Pelago, which puts Pokemon into an environment even while they're stored.

What if it's actually the other way around? What I mean is, maybe Ultra Necrozma only happens because Nebby is taking a nap, allowing its energy to be dispersed and used the way it is.

Nebby sleeps

Necrozma: Oh great, now what am I going to do now?

Necrozma starts to transform

Necrozma: Wait, what's happening to our body?! I feel-- I FEEL POWER FLOWING THROUGH ME! BOW BEFORE MY MIGHT!!!!
Wait, this is literally the plot of Parasyte: the Maxim.

We've seen Pokemon move their balls around in LGPE, and we've seen their environment interact with them even while they're in storage, such as seeing them move with the player on the lower screen when Amie was a thing, or Poke Pelago, which puts Pokemon into an environment even while they're stored.
I haven't played LGPE so I wouldn't know about them. And what do you mean 'move with the player on the lower screen when Amie was a thing'? Amie doesn't happen inside the pokeball, does it? ALso, isn't Pelago an actual location, hich means they're released from the PC storage? We do fly there with Charizard after all, it's not like Festival Plaza

And what do you mean 'move with the player on the lower screen when Amie was a thing'? Amie doesn't happen inside the pokeball, does it?
If you have the bottom screen of the 3DS on the Amie section when walking in the overworld, you can see the Pokemon spin around inside their Poke Balls when you skate around.
ALso, isn't Pelago an actual location, hich means they're released from the PC storage? We do fly there with Charizard after all, it's not like Festival Plaza
It's true that it's a physical location, but you can still withdraw and move Pokemon even while they're interacting with most of the islands. (A Pokemon that you saw explore the caves can still be withdrawn, for example) So it seems like the PC storage is the physical location of Pelago and the PC is just an interface.

They are all abominations. I went in blind and when I first saw Arctozolt I was just wondering what was that design about. Then I saw the other fossils and the whole scientis mashing fossils without knowing if/where they fit thing.. and I still hate all of them.

Dracovish is useful in battles, though, so there's that.

They are all abominations. I went in blind and when I first saw Arctozolt I was just wondering what was that design about. Then I saw the other fossils and the whole scientis mashing fossils without knowing if/where they fit thing.. and I still hate all of them.

Dracovish is useful in battles, though, so there's that.
Are you aware that this is a reference to how old scientists used to get dinosaur skeleton composition COMPLETELY wrong? I'm not saying that has to make you like them, but I feel like this is a really cool CONCEPT, and what will make or break people liking these mons is just the execution.

Are you aware that this is a reference to how old scientists used to get dinosaur skeleton composition COMPLETELY wrong? I'm not saying that has to make you like them, but I feel like this is a really cool CONCEPT, and what will make or break people liking these mons is just the execution.

Yeah, I've read about that and understand what they were aiming for. But to me the end results were awful and they should have scrapped all that and done regular fossilmon instead. Just my opinion.

Personally, I love Arctozolt and Dracozolt very much. I used Arctozolt on my main team and I couldn't help but feel sorry for it shivering all the time, even when it was eating my spicy curry.
No matter if you like them or not, you have to respect the designers to come up with a line of Fossil Pokémon that has evoked such a big reaction from fans. Even if you think the designs are stupid, at least they stand out much more than other Fossil Pokémon like Rampardos or Carracosta (no offense to anyone who likes them). The idea behind the new Fossils is much more fresh than any that came before, regardless of execution.

No matter if you like them or not, you have to respect the designers to come up with a line of Fossil Pokémon that has evoked such a big reaction from fans.
The designs got a big reaction from fans because, from what I’ve seen, many people dislike them despite their creativity. Is that really respect-worthy? Like, give the designers respect because the designs are unique, creative, and bold, and not because they garnered a negative response.

Even if you think the designs are stupid, at least they stand out much more than other Fossil Pokémon like Rampardos or Carracosta
Eh, I disagree here. The other fossil Pokémon stand out just as much because they’re good designs.

Last edited:
Personally, I love Arctozolt and Dracozolt very much. I used Arctozolt on my main team and I couldn't help but feel sorry for it shivering all the time, even when it was eating my spicy curry.
No matter if you like them or not, you have to respect the designers to come up with a line of Fossil Pokémon that has evoked such a big reaction from fans. Even if you think the designs are stupid, at least they stand out much more than other Fossil Pokémon like Rampardos or Carracosta (no offense to anyone who likes them). The idea behind the new Fossils is much more fresh than any that came before, regardless of execution.

I'm pretty sure that is what fans of the Star Wars: The Last Jedi were saying in response to the backlash.

Also I don't like your dismissive nature of the other fossil Pokemon because of their straightforwards designs. Imagine if you liked the species that the Fossil Pokemon represented and you couldn't get a "vanilla" representation of said species, because it was attached to an incomplete create a fossil gimmick (4 out of 16 possible combinations).

<blockquote class="reddit-card" data-card-created="1576390261"><a href="View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/eanhm8/what_if_old_fossils_were_found_in_galar/
">What if old fossils were found in Galar?</a> from <a href="r/pokemon">r/pokemon</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//embed.redditmedia.com/widgets/platform.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>

I'm pretty sure that is what fans of the Star Wars: The Last Jedi were saying in response to the backlash.

Also I don't like your dismissive nature of the other fossil Pokemon because of their straightforwards designs. Imagine if you liked the species that the Fossil Pokemon represented and you couldn't get a "vanilla" representation of said species, because it was attached to an incomplete create a fossil gimmick (4 out of 16 possible combinations).

<blockquote class="reddit-card" data-card-created="1576390261"><a href="View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/eanhm8/what_if_old_fossils_were_found_in_galar/
">What if old fossils were found in Galar?</a> from <a href="r/pokemon">r/pokemon</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//embed.redditmedia.com/widgets/platform.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>
Aurorus/Tyrantrum actually looks gorgeous.

Here's some more ammunition for the "the fossils are suffering" theory: Dracozolt's wrists are broken.
880.png
tumblr_nq08kb3jci1qztb1ro1_1280.jpg
Source
Honestly, it's a shame that Dracozolt doesn't have proper wrists considering that has some cute idle/Camp animation potential that could go hand-in-hand with its joyous appearance.

Here's some more ammunition for the "the fossils are suffering" theory: Dracozolt's wrists are broken.
Honestly, it's a shame that Dracozolt doesn't have proper wrists considering that has some cute idle/Camp animation potential that could go hand-in-hand with its joyous appearance.

To be fair, that's more the fault of modern media portraying raptors inaccurately then anything Cara Liss did.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom