• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh 3rd Version/Sequels?

Would You Like Some?

• YAY! (I love the new stuff!)

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • NAY! (That's what DLC is for!)

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • We might not get any like with Gen 6...

Votes: 23 35.4%

• Total voters
I myself don't think that players should be forced to do complicated challenges like Nuzlockes, Monotype Runs, or Solo Runs in order to have any sense of challenge in the games.
I agree. The fact that people nuzlockes to create difficulty is the proof on how easy the Pokémon games are.

Given Sword/Shield was a rushed product akin to Sun/Moon, they might do something similar to Emerald or Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, but with Switch cartridges' 32GB volume, there has alot to do. Like, implementing all Pokémon in a single game, fixing Pokémon's gender differences (like Intellion having lighter-colored legs for females, Thievul have no mustaches, Rillaboom have ponytails, Gigantamax Pikachu has heart-shaped tails, etc), fixing game mechanics (such as improved difficulty, redone Exp Share and such), adding and redo post-game features such as extended post-game stuff, etc.

Just my predictions.

I'd say SwSh is more akin to XY. SM never gave me much of a rushed feel, in contrast to SwSh and XY.
I meant the game development time. The Sun/Moon had some empty lots and certain problems because GF and TPC were rushed in for the release to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Pokémon. That's why Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon were made as a "redone" rerelease with things fixed and more stuff to mess with. Both stories are canon, though I only played Ultra ones.

I'm hoping there are sequels, involving one or more new legendary/mythical Pokémon. Adding Pokémon mid-gen is nothing new now, and they can definitely expand on the story by bringing in new legendary players. Where did Eternatus come from? Could there be a sort of anti-Eternatus that nullifies dynamax, brought into the story when, sometime in the future, Eternatus comes back due to whatever reason (it is stolen from the champion and used for evil, etc).

There's also much at play with the gym challenge plot that can be further looked into. What gyms would make it into a future major league? They designed uniforms for every single type... The basis is already there. Maybe Milo doesn't make the Major league, but in these games you can still meet him and battle him in the minor league for fun, etc. What will the fairy gym look like under Bede? What will Spikemuth look like in the future? Will Prof Sonia and assistant Hop be the ones to help the new player in their journey?

There's tons of fun stuff that sequels could explore, and I'd love it. So yeah... Enhanced versions, never again please. Sequels? Yes!

I'd say SwSh is more akin to XY. SM never gave me much of a rushed feel, in contrast to SwSh and XY.
I actually like XY way more than SM. I've been hearing people saying that XY was rushed, and I dunno, maybe it was, but... I don't feel it. They had to shift completely to 3D and did a pretty good job at it, had character customization for the first time, had a good story... SWSH definitely feels more rushed than that to me.

I actually like XY way more than SM. I've been hearing people saying that XY was rushed, and I dunno, maybe it was, but... I don't feel it. They had to shift completely to 3D and did a pretty good job at it, had character customization for the first time, had a good story... SWSH definitely feels more rushed than that to me.

X and Y had positive elements but a good story was not one of those.

Where did Eternatus come from?
Nowhere that wouldn't feel derivative after seeing Necrozma's home, not to mention Giratina's and battling Deoxys in outer space.

Could there be a sort of anti-Eternatus that nullifies dynamax, brought into the story when, sometime in the future, Eternatus comes back due to whatever reason (it is stolen from the champion and used for evil, etc).
You're describing Zacian and Zamazenta. You really want a repeat in sequels? Under the guise of "new" legendaries?

Will Prof Sonia and assistant Hop be the ones to help the new player in their journey?
Helping the player was a big part of their roles in SwSh. Does it matter that they didn't have those perfunctory titles yet? Bianca wasn't any more interesting as an assistant, by the way.

Last edited:
I mean Ohmori's response to why the exp share was removed was that most people were keep it on and he followed up with this gem of wisdom.

“Those who have it turned off want to train one specific Pokemon. We thought: is there a way to achieve that? There is, simply by putting the rest of your Pokémon in the PC.”

With that out of the way I don't think they are self sabotage dumb, but they are pretty dumb at times.

Source:Game Freak on the removal of Exp. Share in Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield - Nintendo Everything
I... What? Seriously? I think my brain just shut down.

Nowhere that wouldn't feel derivative after seeing Necrozma's home, not to mention Giratina's and battling Deoxys in outer space.

You're describing Zacian and Zamazenta. You really want a repeat in sequels? Under the guise of "new" legendaries?

Helping the player was a big part of their roles in SwSh. Does it matter that they didn't have those perfunctory titles yet? Bianca wasn't any more interesting as an assistant, by the way.
What you're saying just sounds like "they did something before, why bother doing anything again?". My answer is... Why do anything if everything's supposedly been done already? Eternatus's origins can be unique from past legends. Sonia and Hop can be handled differently than Bianca and be different than their roles in SwSh. The za-wolves aren't really anti-Eternatus in power (they don't nullify its power at all, they just... Protected Galar, right?) so I don't really get what you were saying there.

The bottom line, though, is that we're talking about a franchise that has used the same story points for over 20 years. The journey remains fun and interesting even though 'it's been done before'. If the story is interesting and fun, there's no reason to not do it. And being 100% unique and different from any story told before is not a requirement for something to be interesting.

What you're saying just sounds like "they did something before, why bother doing anything again?". My answer is... Why do anything if everything's supposedly been done already?
I remember a fantasy author that basically copied the plot of the first Star Wars movie in his novel used this phrase, or something similar, to justify his lack of originality. While everything supposedly has been done already, that doesn't excuse blatant unoriginality. Especially if you're copying something you just did.

The journey remains fun and interesting even though 'it's been done before'.
Debatable. SwSh was kinda boring for me because it's borrows plotlines from the last two generations a little too heavily and nothing new or interesting enough was done to said plotlines to make it worthwhile.

But I agree with the overall sentiment that a SwSh sequel would deviate enough from the first games to be justifiable, except for giving Eternatus another enemy after we just spent the last games focused on its enemies.

Last edited:
The za-wolves aren't really anti-Eternatus in power (they don't nullify its power at all, they just... Protected Galar, right?) so I don't really get what you were saying there.

Well, they nullified its nullifying power somehow. Your Pokémon and Hop's Pokémon weren't able to attack at all until the wolves got involved.

Ironically, Eternatus itself seems more like the anti-Eternatus you're describing, since it's signature move is great for killing Dynamaxed opponents and it can also prevent other Pokémon from Dynamaxing outright (as it did to Leon, and you during the climax raid battle).

Though I agree with your larger point that Pokémon is formulaic is fuck and that's not really a reason that a SwoShi sequel can't still turn out alright. As always, Pokémon is hardly about the story anyway.

I remember a fantasy author that basically copied the plot of the first Star Wars movie in his novel used this phrase, or something similar, to justify his lack of originality.

Were you talking about Christopher Paolini, the writer of Eragon? Because I recall one of the criticisms of that book was that it borrowed plot elements from Star Wars. I might be wrong since I did research on that novel some years ago.

Were you talking about Christopher Paolini, the writer of Eragon? Because I recall one of the criticisms of that book was that it borrowed plot elements from Star Wars. I might be wrong since I did research on that novel some years ago.
Yes. Although, now that I think about it, I can’t remember if he said something along the lines of “everything’s been tried before ” or if it was someone else.

I mean Ohmori's response to why the exp share was removed was that most people were keep it on and he followed up with this gem of wisdom.

“Those who have it turned off want to train one specific Pokemon. We thought: is there a way to achieve that? There is, simply by putting the rest of your Pokémon in the PC.”

With that out of the way I don't think they are self sabotage dumb, but they are pretty dumb at times.

Source:Game Freak on the removal of Exp. Share in Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield - Nintendo Everything
Well... don’t people usually give exp share to a weak Pokémon and use the stronger team members to battle higher level foes for experience? If we removed all those team members then the player will have to level up slowly at Route 1 or something.

That's only true when the exp share was a held item - gen 2-5 I think. Once it became a key item it functioned more like the old exp all from Gen 1 that shared between the whole party so Sword and Shield haven't really changed that set up, I think it was X and Y that made it share across the whole party.

*edit* just to note I actually preferred it as a held item, but I think it's unfair to level criticism at Sword and Shield that belong several gens back.

Well... don’t people usually give exp share to a weak Pokémon and use the stronger team members to battle higher level foes for experience? If we removed all those team members then the player will have to level up slowly at Route 1 or something.

I meant to say the option to turn it off. That is what it's in response to. I'll edit my original post

We've got a direct coming a couple of days. Might be something related to this, mainly DLC.

I sure HOPE they aren't announcing enhanced versions or a sequel SO soon like with the Ultra dou...

Unless, of course, it's them making mountains out of Diglett hills.

Last edited:
I would love a full fledged sequel like B2W2. I feel like they set it up pretty well, especially with the talk of minor league gyms and the like, as well as some good character progression for the rivals that could be continued in a sequel.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom