• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

I personally hate how Ash's Pikachu lost to a Meowth of all Pokémon, and I find satisfaction in the fact that with Harrison, Ash was kinda able to strike him from beyond defeat and cause him to lose his next battle by completely exhausting his crucial ace Pokémon, while Tyson just had to be ultra super perfect and win the whole tournament. So yeah. To me, Harrison was easily a better roadblock for Ash than Tyson.

I'm not sure how Tyson is ultra super perfect by winning the whole tournament. He didn't crush Ash like Tobias did. Their battle was a bit too rushed, but it came down to the wire and aside from his Meowth, none of his Pokemon really stood out. I can understand not liking that Pikachu lost to Meowth, but I don't see the problem with having Tyson win the Hoenn League. It is better than not even knowing who won it. The fact that Ash lost to the trainer who eventually won the tournament probably made his defeat easier for fans to deal with too.

I'm not sure how Tyson is ultra super perfect by winning the whole tournament. He didn't crush Ash like Tobias did. Their battle was a bit too rushed, but it came down to the wire and aside from his Meowth, none of his Pokemon really stood out. I can understand not liking that Pikachu lost to Meowth, but I don't see the problem with having Tyson win the Hoenn League. It is better than not even knowing who won it. The fact that Ash lost to the trainer who eventually won the tournament probably made his defeat easier for fans to deal with too.
Yeah, Tyson won the tournament but he just barely won against Ash. Tyson was probably the last mostly uncontroversial trainer to stop Ash in a league, actually:
He wasn't overpowered like Tobias, an idiot who showed Ash had gotten worse as a trainer like Cameron, or surrounded by hype for a possible league win like Alain.

I thought Rotom leaving Ash was a huge missed opportunity in light of SM098. Overall, it felt like SM098 had very little awareness of Pokemon as an anime series since Ash never really stopped any of his Pokemon from leaving when they had to making it strange how he was suddenly not ok with Rotom wanting to pursue its dream. The message of that episode seems to suggest a shift towards having more continuity in the series overall but the fact that it left still, at the end of the episode and also the way the current series is playing out makes it seem unlikely still and that is sad.

I mean this isn't the first time that we've had conflicting messages in this anime. But I'm glad that Rotom moved on to bigger and better things, although one big missed opportunity was making Ash meet a completely new Rotom at the start of SuMo when instead we could've seen Oak's Rotom return and live in Ash's Dex back then.

Yeah, Tyson won the tournament but he just barely won against Ash. Tyson was probably the last mostly uncontroversial trainer to stop Ash in a league, actually:
He wasn't overpowered like Tobias, an idiot who showed Ash had gotten worse as a trainer like Cameron, or surrounded by hype for a possible league win like Alain.
I just personally found satisfaction in Ash inadvertently sabotaging Harrison's victory, even after he lost. Therefore, he will probably always be my favorite League defeater of Ash.

I just personally found satisfaction in Ash inadvertently sabotaging Harrison's victory, even after he lost. Therefore, he will probably always be my favorite League defeater of Ash.

His Blaziken had a tough battle against Ash's Charizard and he wanted to give it more time to rest at the Pokemon Center, or it required more time to recover from the battle. That isn't really inadvertently sabotaging Harrison's victory. It's a pretty cynical way to look at Harrison being concerned for his Pokemon, especially when Harrison wasn't even mean or anything. He was a pretty bland League rival, but he was likable enough. Not to mention this doesn't really explain why you think that Tyson is ultra super perfect for winning the Hoenn League in the first place.

His Blaziken had a tough battle against Ash's Charizard and he wanted to give it more time to rest at the Pokemon Center, or it required more time to recover from the battle. That isn't really inadvertently sabotaging Harrison's victory. It's a pretty cynical way to look at Harrison being concerned for his Pokemon, especially when Harrison wasn't even mean or anything. He was a pretty bland League rival, but he was likable enough. Not to mention this doesn't really explain why you think that Tyson is ultra super perfect for winning the Hoenn League in the first place.
Okay, I guess "sabotage" was a pretty harsh word. Let's say that I like how Ash inadvertently caused Harrison to lose. I find satisfaction in that, and it was totally in-character for Ash to apologise to Harrison for this afterwards, so no conflict in that.

And about Tyson, I guess rather than the man himself, I hate his Meowth. It was smug and arrogant and treated Team Rocket's Meowth like literal dirt, taunting and beating him to the ground even when it wasn't necessary, like when he tried to offer him genuine advice.

one big missed opportunity was making Ash meet a completely new Rotom at the start of SuMo when instead we could've seen Oak's Rotom return and live in Ash's Dex back then.

I don't really know anything about Oak's Rotom but I don't mind the Rotom being a new Rotom cause my head canon is that Clemont is actually the person who developed RotomDex so there's still a bit of Clemont with Ash, even though he doesn't necessarily know it.

Okay, I guess "sabotage" was a pretty harsh word. Let's say that I like how Ash inadvertently caused Harrison to lose. I find satisfaction in that, and it was totally in-character for Ash to apologise to Harrison for this afterwards, so no conflict in that.

That's still a pretty messed up way at looking at the situation. Ash didn't cause Harrison to lose just because Blaziken was still too weak to battle in the next round. Blaziken wasn't the only strong Pokemon in Harrison's team after all, so not having it wasn't the only reason he lost. He also didn't apologize to Harrison afterwards, at least not in the dub. I'm not sure if the dialogue was different in the Japanese version, but all Ash did afterwards was just ask Harrison how his Blaziken was doing after he had lost. Even if you do want to believe that Ash inadvertently caused Harrison to lose, I don't understand why you'd find satisfaction in that when Harrison wasn't awful or unlikable.

FinnishPokéFan92 said:
And about Tyson, I guess rather than the man himself, I hate his Meowth. It was smug and arrogant and treated Team Rocket's Meowth like literal dirt, taunting and beating him to the ground even when it wasn't necessary, like when he tried to offer him genuine advice.

Well from what I recall, Team Rocket's Meowth was pretty rude towards it prior to learning of its backstory, so it wasn't one sided. Still, I can understand not liking how smug and arrogant Tyson's Meowth was, but I don't see why that makes him super ultra perfect for winning the Hoenn League, especially when he just barely defeated Ash.

That's still a pretty messed up way at looking at the situation. Ash didn't cause Harrison to lose just because Blaziken was still too weak to battle in the next round. Blaziken wasn't the only strong Pokemon in Harrison's team after all, so not having it wasn't the only reason he lost. He also didn't apologize to Harrison afterwards, at least not in the dub. I'm not sure if the dialogue was different in the Japanese version, but all Ash did afterwards was just ask Harrison how his Blaziken was doing after he had lost. Even if you do want to believe that Ash inadvertently caused Harrison to lose, I don't understand why you'd find satisfaction in that when Harrison wasn't awful or unlikable.
He wasn't unlikable, true. I just personally find satisfaction in the way how Ash inadvertently caused Harrison to lose. I can't quite explain why I feel that way. I just do.
Well from what I recall, Team Rocket's Meowth was pretty rude towards it prior to learning of its backstory, so it wasn't one sided. Still, I can understand not liking how smug and arrogant Tyson's Meowth was, but I don't see why that makes him super ultra perfect for winning the Hoenn League, especially when he just barely defeated Ash.
I actually tried to withdraw that first statement with that statement about Meowth. And what I meant by that first statement was that Tyson was this perfectly nice guy with very little, if any flaws, who even ends up winning the entire League tournament. I actually even prefer Tobias to Tyson, because he at least had the coolness factor of using Legendaries, despite his major flaw of lacking pretty much any kind of backstory.

He wasn't unlikable, true. I just personally find satisfaction in the way how Ash inadvertently caused Harrison to lose. I can't quite explain why I feel that way. I just do.

I still don't understand how to see that situation as Ash inadvertently causing Harrison to lose. It just comes off as a petty or cynical way to see what is basically a trainer taking care of their Pokemon instead of forcing it to battle right after a really tough one. Plus, that gives Ash way too much credit for Harrison's defeat. Like I mentioned before, Blaziken wasn't his only strong Pokemon, so it wouldn't have been impossible for Harrison to go further in the Johto League without it.

FinnishPokéFan92 said:
I actually tried to withdraw that first statement with that statement about Meowth. And what I meant by that first statement was that Tyson was this perfectly nice guy with very little, if any flaws, who even ends up winning the entire League tournament. I actually even prefer Tobias to Tyson, because he at least had the coolness factor of using Legendaries, despite his major flaw of lacking pretty much any kind of backstory.

Harrison and Virgil were pretty much the same with being nice guys with little to no flaws, so I don't see how Tyson is worse just because he won the Hoenn League. He wasn't overpowered like Alain or Tobias were, aside from his Meowth, his team wasn't really that memorable ad he barely won against Ash. He certainly wasn't a Gary Stu just because he won a tournament. I think that Tyson had a bit more personality than Harrison since he interacted with the cast for most of the Hoenn League arc and he enjoyed trying out food alongside May. I'd still say that he was a bit of a boring League only rival, but he still stands out a bit personality wise despite that.

I also think that Tyson was the last time fans were generally okay with Ash losing a League, or at least the last time his defeat didn't result in an infamous defeat. Ash got to the same rank as he did in the Johto League, but he relied only on his Hoenn team and lost to the trainer who ended up winning the whole tournament, which still showed a nice bit of progress for him. I think that's also why I'm just surprised to see a complaint about Tyson. There have been complaints about Richie, Tobias, Cameron and Alain for ages, but I've rarely heard any complaints about Tyson or Harrison for that matter.

I also think that Tyson was the last time fans were generally okay with Ash losing a League, or at least the last time his defeat didn't result in an infamous defeat. Ash got to the same rank as he did in the Johto League, but he relied only on his Hoenn team and lost to the trainer who ended up winning the whole tournament, which still showed a nice bit of progress for him. I think that's also why I'm just surprised to see a complaint about Tyson. There have been complaints about Richie, Tobias, Cameron and Alain for ages, but I've rarely heard any complaints about Tyson or Harrison for that matter.
Personally, I disliked Tyson on principle, so to speak, and was a bit bothered by that scene of TR's Meowth warning his about Pikachu, gets blown off, and then Tyson's Meowth beats Pikachu anyways (it relates to my complaint that Ash gets disproportionately punished compared to other characters--he got confident earlier in Hoenn and it led to an Elite Four showing up and crushing him, Tyson's Meowth is confident and then proves himself right and wins the whole tournament) but compared to everyone that came after he looks good by comparison.
Basically, I wouldn't hate if he or Harrison popped up again but I'd really rather Tobias, Cameron, or Alain never, ever shows up again unless its to lose to Ash.

Rewatching SM, a pretty big missed opportunity that would have alleviated the question of why Giovanni continues to reward TRio, especially in light of SM, was during the Aether Foundation arc when TRio come across Faba’s lab and find the data on Type: Null. Given that they were tasked with obtaining rare Pokémon, them stealing that data and turning it over to Giovanni would’ve been a great move in showing that they can be competent from time to time. It’s made even worse in retrospect with Sword and Shield’s Pokédex entry mentioning that it exists in Galar due to the data for it having been stolen thus showing it can be recreated perfectly so long as they have the data on it.

I may have said this before, but I found it disappointing that Samson Oak's Vulpix never did anything notable after hatching. Well, I guess that's just one of those elements that the Sun & Moon series abandoned pretty early on, like Lana's Ride Lapras and most of Tupp, Zipp, Rapp's Pokémon from the first episode.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom