• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Dynamax feels like nothing but a boss gimmick given how they're raid-exclusive. Chances are you'll never get a Gigantamax anything during you first playthrough, which sucks. They don't add too much challenge, imo, since a lot of the Gym Leaders" aces were still able to be one-shotted by a 4x supereffective attack anyway.

A lot of gigantamax forms look cool, but it's such a wasted opportunity for me. Like Hatterene and Coalossal, which have been in my party since the start, can't gigantamax, and I feel cheated that I'd have to catch a completely different Pokemon to be able to use them to their full potential. It honestly hurts me. Restricting the gimmick to only gym battles is also a bit understandable, but I honestly wish GF had done more with it.

edit: typos

Last edited:
Dynamax feels like nothing but a boss gimmick given how they're raid-exclusive. Chances are you'll never get a Gigantamax anything during you first playthrough, which sucks. They don't add too much challenge, imo, since a lot of the Gym Leaders" aces were still able to be one-shotted by a 4x supereffective attack anyway.

A lot of gigantamax forms look cool, but it's such a wasted opportunity for me. Like Hatterene and Coalossal, which have been in my party since the start, can't gigantamax, and I feel cheated that I'd have to catch a completely different Pokemon to be able to use them to their full potential honestly hurts me. Restricting the gimmick to only gym battles is also a bit understandable, but I honestly GF had done more with it.

edit: typos

I'll second this but add on that I can't even enjoy the designs of Gigantimaxs because of how ugly and discomforting to my eyes the garish red aura is for me.

Why couldn't they have made the mechanic a more pleasant color such as blue or white?

It also doesn't help that the clouds look floating pieces of poop with how darkish red everything is.

First, I haven't been here in a while, but I have kept up the news and release of Sword & Shield, Second, I don't have Sword & Shield, because I still don't have a Switch yet, and Finally I'm about to give my honest opinion on Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing, I'm not a fan of this gimmick for a lot of reasons:
1. It feels like Megas and Z-moves put together, but made them gigantic.
2. GF could've stuck with Megas and Z-move, but they scrapped those ideas and came up with this.
3. It feels forced, Using them in Gyms battles, you can have the option to not Dynamax/Gigantamax, just like you can have to option to Megas or Z-move or not.
4. It feels more like a Boss battle, having more trainers and more pokemon to fight on Gigantic pokemon.
5. My fear they'll include in Sinnoh remake, I hope it's exclusive to Galar region, the same way that Z-moves and Alolan formes are exclusive in Alola region.

I know it's a New battle gimmick for this generation, but at the same time, GF should just sticking with and improving with whatever gimmick they have (Mega Evolution, and possible Z-moves), instead of coming up with new ones.

I dont have anything against boss gimmicks because you could call every legendary and pseudolegendary pokemon that too...

I think if it would be put with Megas and Z-moves it could work quite well and interesting if it could not be used on the same pokemon that has a z stone or mega stone... After trapping Eternatus they could make that now your pokemon needs a wishing star as a item too to use dynamax energy this could allow your pokemon also to gigantamax when happyness and corelation with partner are present similar like wild gigantamaxes but with chosen pokemon.

I too hope it stays mostly in Galar but Sinnoh with Arceus screams for having megas and dynamax forms but maybe different ones then gigantamax?

I dont have anything against boss gimmicks because you could call every legendary and pseudolegendary pokemon that too...

No. Legendaries and psuedo are not the same as battle gimmicks because they are able to use battle gimmicks themselves.

If they followed your logic they'd be battle gimmick squared.

My feeling about this is just cynicism. Why should I even get attached to Dynamax'd Pokemon when they'll be rendered irrelevant and probably inaccessible in future generations?

So "high base stats" is now a gimmick, despite base stats being an established mechanic since Gen 1?

that a pokemon gains 50% hp and a bunch of immunities is diffrent then other held items?
taking how many pseudolegendaries and legandary pokemon could be on a team?

abillities and effects are also gimmicks... People have problem when they lose against something too much and can't understand it.
Then they want to get rid of it instead to embrace it.

that a pokemon gains 50% hp and a bunch of immunities is diffrent then other held items?
taking how many pseudolegendaries and legandary pokemon could be on a team?
First of all, the convo with @TechSkylander1518 was you saying that Pseudo legendaries (that are Pokemon with just high base stats) are somehow equivalent to Dynamax and now you being in held items? Why are you changing the topic on an unrelated post instead of actually addressing the point you brought up earlier?

Anyways, even this isn’t a fair argument since:
Tell me the name of an item which is remotely as powerful as giving a 50% HP boost and boosting the base power of Moves with beneficial effects for 3 turns while still having an additional held item.

You can hold items with Dynamax.
abillities and effects are also gimmicks... People have problem when they lose against something too much and can't understand it.
Then they want to get rid of it instead to embrace it.
Again; name one ability on an extremely strong Pokemon with is remotely as powerful as a Dynamax form single handedly. Dynamax can be attached to any Pokemon on your team according to the situation; while you can’t pick or choose what Pokemon you put an ability on. You can’t use Wonder Guard on something with no weaknesses, while you can use Dynamax on a Mewtwo with +4Sp. Atk.

At this point I find it pretty dismissive of you to insult people who think Dynamax is overpowered by just saying they “can’t understand” while you yourself failed to give even a single, coherent and factually feasible or correct argument against any of the extremely well researched opinions provided by people on Smogon and on here.

I think they should have just included around 30 Totem Pokemon (maybe a bit larger than the Alolan ones) for Max Raids and made them keep the stat boost when caught. The end.

Mega evolution had real substance and logic as a form of evolution that was based on the bond between a Pokemon and its trainer.
Z-moves were a bit cheap but the concept of assigning each Pokemon type an ultimate move showed some thought process as it still considered the actual mechanics of battling.

Now Dynamaxing is purely a gimmick.
It's an exaggeration more than an actual mechanic and is more or less humans taking advantage of what I feel has to be an unnatural phenomenon such as some form of radioactive activity like that which created Godzilla (at least in the Matthew Brodrick version, I don't remember if that's ever been discussed in the originals).

It's not even aesthetically interesting except in Gigantimax form which from what I have gathered is exclusive to few mostly event Pokemon that are specifically designed with the ability which as far as I can tell doesn't make use of all the Gigantimax forms there are.
For example, I have a Corvaknight and a Grimmsnarl, both according to Serebii.net have Gigantimax forms but apparently are incapable of using it because they weren't specifically designed with the ability. What the fuck is that? Bullshit, that's what!
This also unbalances the gym challenge playing field at Kapu onward.

Why can't you unlock a certain Pokemon's Gigantamax forms via maxing out its Dynamax level or why doesn't the plot update your band or something like that?

Last edited:
My feeling about this is just cynicism. Why should I even get attached to Dynamax'd Pokemon when they'll be rendered irrelevant and probably inaccessible in future generations?
I am the same way. It's hard to care about it when you know it will be cut next Generation. Same with characters in the anime. It's hard to care about the companions when you know they will be replaced next series.

With the release of the Gigantamax forms of the rest of the Kanto starters and the Galar starters, I'd like to update my rankings list. Because I can't clearly see the gmax forms for Urshifu, I didn't rank them.

S: Charizard, Drednaw
A: Corviknight
B: Butterfree
C+: Venusaur, Blastoise, Laprus
C: Pikachu, Eevee, Snorlax, Orbeetle, Alcremie, Toxtricity, Centiskorch, Hatterene, Grimmsnarl
D: Meowth, Machamp, Gengar, Kingler, Garbodor, Melmetal, Sandaconda, Coalossal
F: Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon, Appltun/Flapple, Copperajah, Duraludon
Favorite: Drednaw
Least favorite: Appletun-Flapple/Copperajah

I'm not a fan of any of the Galar starter Gmax forms--Cinderace and Inteleon look really lame to me while Rillaboom's is just too complex and makes it less of an individual monster. I gave all three a ranking of F. The Venusaur and Blastoise forms are better, I rank both at a C+. Interesting to note that there's a traingle pattern on both Charizard and Blastoise, but not Venusaur from what I can see.

Last edited:
we don't know maybe on that Island you can teach Gigantamaxing to pokemon?

Last edited:
I honestly never thought they would make something more uninteresting than Z- moves, but GF somehow managed to do it. People already pointed the issue of being restricted to gym leader battles, Battle Tower and power spots. How you need to catch a pokemon that can Gigantamax in the first place and not just make any of the pokemon you catch do it as well, and how ridiculously broken it is.

Dynamax is just boring in my opinion. Oh, your pokemon grows huge, yay. Only Gigantamax is somewhat cool because the pokemon actually changes their appearance. But even then, it feels like a much less interesting Mega Evolution. Not to mention this thing will just disappear next generation and color me surprised if it doesn't.
Dynamax Blissey
I think competitive players are more worried with Dynamax Chansey. Eviolite on top of double health? Sounds like fun.

Dynamax is just boring in my opinion. Oh, your pokemon grows huge, yay. Only Gigantamax is somewhat cool because the pokemon actually changes their appearance. But even then, it feels like a much less interesting Mega Evolution. Not to mention this thing will just disappear next generation and color me surprised if it doesn't.

For sure if there were an option to turn Dynamax off in PvP I would probably play that way. At least I can use Wedding Cake Alcremie now though :)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom