• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Kinda disappointed that I have to wait to evolve my new slowpoke. I'll be getting this pass eventually... but probably not until the first pass is nearer to coming out.

My brother feels this is a massive waste of money and it should be half the price. I sort of disagree, considering this is basically the price of a 3DS game but w/e it's GameFreak/Nintendo and Nintendo managed to make an animal crossing phone game pay to win.

I'm hella excited to play in these new parts of Galar and see new pokemon. My mon moltres is looking badass as fek. Also I hope that exploring will actually feel worth it. Also I hope I don't need other players to get those old legendaries, considering I'm still refusing to pay for Nintendo Online.

Also I SAW A NIDO THAT MEANS ONE OF MY FAV POKEMON LINES IS BACK IN YEEEEEEEEH.

What if the Galarian Slowpoke had to do something with Shellder falling off of it? It seems very suspicious that it would have yellow spots on where the Shellder bites during evolution of Kantonian Slowpoke.

I suspect that the concentrations of the Galarica spice in its head and tail actually ward off Shellder altogether. Meaning that perhaps its evolutions will demonstrate Slowpoke's own true potential...

So one of the first things I noticed during the trailer.

The model of Talonflame

Finally, I can stop ripping my hair out over the Fletchling Weather Vane on the tops of the buildings in Wedgehurst despite the fact that the Fletchling line was not in the game.

That was the first thing we really saw of SwSh, and it has bothered me forever since the SwSh dex was revealed to not have the line.

Overall, I feel rather positive and excited about these Expansion Packs? What's been shown so far are definitely things I wanted to see in an expansion pack, and none of these feel detrimental the the base game. And yes, I do think Galar is somewhat on the bare side, especially in its route and dungeon designs, but it also had lots of solid design choices.

I wonder what other regional forms we'll see? I'm kinda crossing my fingers for Banette/Mawile/Sableye, cause all three lost their Megas which definitely made them a lot more useful. Regardless f what we'll get, I doubt Slowpoke (and potentially the legendary birds) will be the only ones.

With the addition of Crown and Armour we'll have over 2/3 of the national dex available again, and I'll admit it feels odd if we don't get those final few. And I'm glad the base game will get a free update, I feel like after Dexit it's they only move they could have made.

Also, the implication is that we'll be able to G-Max or own starters? So will they be a special case, or will Mustard's training offer some way of giving previously illegible 'mons the ability to G-Max? Cause the latter would be great.

As for the price... While I think they're a bit pricey, the total cost doesn't exceed a third instalment, at least not here in Europe. I usually paid 45 euros for a main game, so a third version would have cost me an additional 45, making 90 in total. Now it's 60 euros for the base and 30 for the full Expansion Pack, also making it 90. And I gotta admit I kinda prefer this over having to restart my adventure in the same region? A continuation feels far more logical than what's essentially a replay. I think that's why BW2 worked so well for its time.

Last edited:
I wonder if you have to have beaten the main game first in order to travel to these places. Would definitely make for fun playthroughs in the future if you didn't.

I wonder if you have to have beaten the main game first in order to travel to these places. Would definitely make for fun playthroughs in the future if you didn't.
During the Direct, it was stated that you can jump right into the expansion pack stuff so I'm going to assume no. You'll probably have to make it to Motostoke at the most is my guess.

Or maybe Psychic/Poison, too, if they want to mirror their counterparts.

I think this is possible. The glimpses we see of Slowbro/Slowking seem to have purple accents on their bodies. Perhaps the spice became some sort of toxin.

And that'd be another new type combo for these games, wouldn't it? (Only 18 left to go until we've covered them all. 17 if this thought is accurate.)

Last edited:
slowking.jpg
I think Psychic/Dark is also possible considering that it looks like G-Slowking is wearing a dark cape (it sort of reminds me of vampires like Dracula for some reason). However, considering the fact that gen 8 has several unique typings such as Poison/Electric and Bug/Ice, I believe Psychic/Poison is probably the most likely typing.

Color me surprised with this update. I expected third versions, but this is better. Really love the designs around, barring some.

1. Two new areas
2. New rivals (version exclusive)
3. Two new Regis (Volt and Drake?)
4. New Formes for the Legendary Birds!
5. Two new Legendaries, a bear and deer respectively.
6. New moves incoming
7. Best of all, 200+ Pokémon increase to the Galar Dex.

And much more. That and 30 euros isn't much for such new rich content.

Volcarona is back baby! Ready to burn ya to cinders.

BTW, like to inform that the Cubfu formes aren't Version exclusives. Its like with Tyrogue's evos instead. Good thing, because I want Rapid Strike forme in my Sword game.

Not really. Old expansion packs used to cost 15 to 20 bucks. It's only recently that they have been raising the price to 30 and more.
I could have sworn they used to be about 30 but that was years ago so my memory might be off.
Although I haven't done a price conversion with how the dollar's changed either.

Galarian? Zapdos almost seems to me like it might be a flightless bird, based on its short wings and the image of it running (and the length of its legs), so maybe it could indeed lose its Flying type. What if Electric/Fighting? :OO

Also really loving how much of the existing NPC characters' clothes are being added here. Rose's suit! Marnie's dress and jacket! Ghetsis's monocle!!! :wynaut:

Rewatching the trailer it seems we can also get Team Yell mohawks, which I did think was a strange omission from the base games. Only a day or two ago I mentioned maybe having a specialty salon in Spikemuth that offered more alternative styles.

Last edited:
Galarian? Zapdos almost seems to me like it might be a flightless bird, based on its short wings and the image of it running (and the length of its legs), so maybe it could indeed lose its Flying type. What if Electric/Fighting? :OO

Also really loving how much of the existing NPC characters' clothes are being added here. Rose's suit! Marnie's dress and jacket! Ghetsis's monocle!!! :wynaut:

Galarian Legendary Birds, based on their new design, I think could be the following types:
Zapdos - Electric/Ground
Articuno - Ice/Psychic
Moltres - Fire/Dark or Fire/Ghost

Not sure if mentioned already, but Slowking will be psychic/poison. I'm betting on it.

Apologies if this was already discussed earlier in the thread, but something interesting that I noticed during the direct was that when the new regis and birds were being shown off, the voiceover said something along the lines of "new legendary Pokemon" and not "regional variants" so I'm assuming that these will be entirely new 'mons.

it seems connected to that tree!! That is, the large tree shown with fruit and leaves along with the concept art. it may or may not be the same tree that is also shown snowy and as branches, behind the unique ancient building!
I suppose either something happens when they land in the tree, or by eating the fruits??

Finally, they said that the new maps are seamless (like the Wild Area). Hopefully this is a precursor to an entire seamless region next gen.

Yes, possibly even the new Sinnoh games will actually be in that format; although that sounds difficult, that specific region might be really compatible with becoming an organic 3D map!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom