• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, it's better to pretend that this movie doesn't exist.

I'm still curious to see how they'll dub this movie. It would be interesting if they use this remake to basically redub the first movie without actually touching the 4Kids version. I don't know if they'll actually do that and I could see them keeping in at least a few of the recognizable 4Kids lines for the nostalgia factor, but it is an interesting idea.

Reminder that it's okay not to like something that other people like, and kids certainly don't mind CG. But this movie deserves to exist.

I'm still curious to see how they'll dub this movie. It would be interesting if they use this remake to basically redub the first movie without actually touching the 4Kids version. I don't know if they'll actually do that and I could see them keeping in at least a few of the recognizable 4Kids lines for the nostalgia factor, but it is an interesting idea.
The Anime Expo subtitles were a mix of the Japanese and 4Kids versions. They apparently leaned towards the former, but they kept some classic 4Kids lines with minimal changes.

Last edited:
The Anime Expo subtitles were a mix of the Japanese and 4Kids versions. They apparently leaned towards the former, but they kept some classic 4Kids lines with minimal changes.

Oh yeah. I forgot about the Anime Expo subtitles. That might make it more likely for them to do the redub route, at least to an extent. Keeping some of the classic 4Kids lines would make sense, but they still might be able to cover the movie more faithfully even with that in mind.

To no one's surprise, the YTV broadcast of Movie 1 was actually Movie 1 and not Movie 22. I guess maybe they aired the movie to commemorate the Direct we had yesterday? Who really knows.

4Kids should had not touched this movie. Leave out dub lines.

While I generally agree with this sentiment and feel 4Kids overall butchered the movie, this one really is a classic that is constantly quoted by fans:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKmYGUk3T2g

I think people like it so much because it is getting at something a bit philosophically deeper than just realizing that clones and non-clones both deserve the right to live in peace. Plus, the original line isn't really telling us any important information that we don't already know, everyone loses their memories of what happened whether or not Mewtwo says it out loud.

Last edited:
I mean, I wouldn't exactly be sad if Movie 22 remains unreleased. I'm more interested in TPCi and Viz finally releasing Pokémon Chronicles and the Mega Evolution specials onto DVD or Blu-ray since that's content unique to itself. The only thing that really interested me here was hearing the TPCi cast doing their take on what is essentially the first movie.

Whatever is preventing Movie 22 from releasing I don't see happening with Movie 23. With all the discussion I have had regarding this anomaly, I'm waiting until Season 23 begins stateside before I reisgn myself to the possibility that this won't be released. So long as Season 22 is still airing, there is still a chance.

Last edited:
I'd rather watch every single Pokemon movie remade into CGI than ever rewatch the Hoopa movie :sneaky:

I get why some people aren't big on how this movie was approached, but I don't agree that means it deserves to never be released. That seems to be a weird take that a lot of Pokemon fans have, on a lot of different subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom