• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mr. Mime belongs to Ash according to the official twitter?

I don't see it as weird. Mimey stayed with Delia. It was technically a family pokemon. The family pokemon becomes part of the son's team. A backstory or basis for that would be cool, but even if they don't introduce a reason I think people can just roll with it. Is it really necessary to show Ash holding out a pokeball, and Mimey poking at the button, knowing it'll tag along anyway?

I don't see it as weird. Mimey stayed with Delia. It was technically a family pokemon. The family pokemon becomes part of the son's team. A backstory or basis for that would be cool, but even if they don't introduce a reason I think people can just roll with it. Is it really necessary to show Ash holding out a pokeball, and Mimey poking at the button, knowing it'll tag along anyway?

It wasn't really a family Pokemon. Mr. Mime barely interacted with Ash after the original series and was always seen as basically Delia's Pokemon. I don't think it would be easy for people to just roll with it after Mr. Mime had been associated with Delia for over twenty years. It would have helped to show Ash catching it before this series, or at least through some flashback. It still would have been a weird retcon, but at least it would have been established before he suddenly used it in battle.

It wasn't really a family Pokemon. Mr. Mime barely interacted with Ash after the original series and was always seen as basically Delia's Pokemon. I don't think it would be easy for people to just roll with it after Mr. Mime had been associated with Delia for over twenty years. It would have helped to show Ash catching it before this series, or at least through some flashback. It still would have been a weird retcon, but at least it would have been established before he suddenly used it in battle.
Preschoolers (the target audience) haven't been around for twenty years so they probably won't consider it confusing.

Preschoolers (the target audience) haven't been around for twenty years so they probably won't consider it confusing.
I'm not saying this isn't the right answer, but it raises another question, namely why they're still using the same characters but rewriting their relationships instead of just using new ones like many other kid targeted series do.

Can we please stop with this "kids" excuse already? We've already had this discussion on other threads before and we've always ended up on the same conclusion: whether it is or isn't confusing to children shouldn't matter. Else, why make even the slightest allusions/references to past series and why not reboot the anime entirely if that were the case?

I'm not saying this isn't the right answer, but it raises another question, namely why they're still using the same characters but rewriting their relationships instead of just using new ones like many other kid targeted series do.
There's no doubt they are focusing to appeal to preschoolers. Yet they can't get rid of Ash because he's too iconic. That's kinda the central problem to most of the controversies of the anime.

While that is generally true, although I'm positive that the target audience is supposed to be around grade school instead of just preschool, I think that kind of misses the point. Sure, it won't be that confusing for kids who are watching the anime for the first time, but I don't think it would be confusing to say that Mr. Mime is still Delia's Pokemon instead. SM is still pretty recent and Mr. Mime was shown with Delia whenever she showed up, so kids wouldn't be shocked to see that she had her own Pokemon instead. Plus, if kids could handle Misty and Brock appearing again after not having proper appearances in the anime for years, they can handle Mr. Mime being associated with Delia instead of Ash.

Besides all that, the main point that I was making before was that they should have done something to establish Mr. Mime as Ash's Pokemon well before now instead of pulling out a random retcon.

While that is generally true, although I'm positive that the target audience is supposed to be around grade school instead of just preschool, I think that kind of misses the point. Sure, it won't be that confusing for kids who are watching the anime for the first time, but I don't think it would be confusing to say that Mr. Mime is still Delia's Pokemon instead. SM is still pretty recent and Mr. Mime was shown with Delia whenever she showed up, so kids wouldn't be shocked to see that she had her own Pokemon instead. Plus, if kids could handle Misty and Brock appearing again after not having proper appearances in the anime for years, they can handle Mr. Mime being associated with Delia instead of Ash.

Besides all that, the main point that I was making before was that they should have done something to establish Mr. Mime as Ash's Pokemon well before now instead of pulling out a random retcon.
I'm genuinely curious why there's so much controversy surrounding a mom's pokemon or a family pokemon going along with the son. It's not like Mimey is property that Delia had to put Mimey in her will for Ash to inherit.

I'm genuinely curious why there's so much controversy surrounding a mom's pokemon or a family pokemon going along with the son.

Well, besides the fact that in previous cases that may be considered similar, the Pokémon was actually given to the trainer by their relative(s) and they had the relative(s)'s permission to have it join them on their journey (something that doesn't happen in Ash's case as far as we know (and no, it being left to take care of Ash doesn't equal it joining his team)), there's also the fact that there was never any build up towards it becoming Ash's (not that that would've made it that much better), as well as no reason for Ash to use it when he should have access to all of his previous Pokémon, as Mimey isn't a Pokémon that's into battle like Ash and his reserves are, nor is that experienced.

as well as no reason for Ash to use it when he should have access to all of his previous Pokémon, as Mimey isn't a Pokémon that's into battle like Ash and his reserves are, nor is that experienced.
To be honest I think this is the main reason. The initial summary for episode 7 gave people hope we'd see reserve Pokémon only for a Detective Pikachu-ized Mimey instead.
If we had confirmation reserves would appear (or they already had) this would have been considered a bit weird but mostly passed over.

Last edited:
Can we please stop with this "kids" excuse already? We've already had this discussion on other threads before and we've always ended up on the same conclusion: whether it is or isn't confusing to children shouldn't matter. Else, why make even the slightest allusions/references to past series and why not reboot the anime entirely if that were the case?

But the show does target kids of kindergarten age foremost so it's useless to try and pretend that it doesn't. If the writers cared about older fans more than young kids, the anime would be way different with much more continuity and references to past events in almost every single episode.

I'm not saying that hints of old episodes aren't shown every once in a while but those things are incredibly rare and only function as pseudo fan service for the 5% or less part of the audience that is old enough to appreciate crap like that.

Easier than coming up with entirely new characters; you get to write them like new characters, but keep the marketability of the old ones.

I'm genuinely curious why there's so much controversy surrounding a mom's pokemon or a family pokemon going along with the son. It's not like Mimey is property that Delia had to put Mimey in her will for Ash to inherit.

I still think it's a stretch to call Mr. Mime a family Pokemon when it showed no interest to Ash all this time. Mr. Mime isn't Delia's property, but it would have been good to actually show Ash becoming Mr. Mime trainer instead of making a retcon. Or at least make it clear that Delia gave Ash Mr. Mime's Pokeball before she left, especially when there was no indication that it was technically caught. It isn't really a controversy so much as people just finding the decision questionable. If they have to stretch so much to make Mr. Mime Ash's Pokemon after all this time, they might as well have just given him a different Pokemon to catch instead.

But the show does target kids of kindergarten age foremost so it's useless to try and pretend that it doesn't. If the writers cared about older fans more than young kids, the anime would be way different with much more continuity and references to past events in almost every single episode.

I'm not saying that hints of old episodes aren't shown every once in a while but those things are incredibly rare and only function as pseudo fan service for the 5% or less part of the audience that is old enough to appreciate crap like that.

Where does the idea that the show is for preschoolers and kindergartens come from? Maybe I'm just too used to what preschool shows are in the U.S. than what they are in Japan, but I've never really thought of the anime being aimed at kids that young. I always assumed the target audience reached up to around ten to eleven. Fans also don't really need references to past events in every single episode. That would probably feel too forced anyway.

Just like how Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a shoujo anime.

I do not know what Jojo is so I can't comment on that but if you're implying that what I said was wrong, I'll try to find some statistics about the viewership age.

But even if I'm off by a few years, I don't think anyone can make the argument that the anime is made for fans older than maybe 13, because there just isn't enough material in the anime that would normally appeal to most people of that age or older.

But even if I'm off by a few years, I don't think anyone can make the argument that the anime is made for fans older than maybe 13
So, you think shows made for younger audiences aimed at either teens or preschoolers? What happened to all those kids between ages 6 and 13.

Where does the idea that the show is for preschoolers and kindergartens come from? Maybe I'm just too used to what preschool shows are in the U.S. than what they are in Japan, but I've never really thought of the anime being aimed at kids that young. I always assumed the target audience reached up to around ten to eleven. Fans also don't really need references to past events in every single episode. That would probably feel too forced anyway.
I believe anime like One-Piece airs on a Sunday morning, like 9am or 9:30am or something. The time slot is perfect for "Sunday Morning Cartoons" for children but when you compare it to a show like Pokemon, there's a lot of blood and violence. So, assuming that 13+ would watch One-Piece, Pokemon's target audience would be much much lower.

I believe anime like One-Piece airs on a Sunday morning, like 9am or 9:30am or something. The time slot is perfect for "Sunday Morning Cartoons" for children but when you compare it to a show like Pokemon, there's a lot of blood and violence. So, assuming that 13+ would watch One-Piece, Pokemon's target audience would be much much lower.

That doesn't really make much sense considering that One Piece is still aimed at kids in Japan. It's targeted towards older teens and adults in the west, but Japan generally allows for a lot more violence and blood in their kid shows than what the U.S. would find acceptable. It's also weird to use another series to determine what the age rang for Pokemon's target audience would be, especially when One Piece is a different kind of series than Pokemon is. One Piece is an adaptation of a long running Shonen Jump manga while Pokemon is designed to primarily promote the newest games and merchandise. This comparison just doesn't make any sense to me. I still don't know if it's that different in Japan, but most shows aimed at preschoolers tend to be more focused on education and/or teaching some moral lesson with their episode, which doesn't really apply to Pokemon either. Pokemon is aimed at kids, but I really don't think it's considered a preschool show in Japan.

That doesn't really make much sense considering that One Piece is still aimed at kids in Japan. It's targeted towards older teens and adults in the west, but Japan generally allows for a lot more violence and blood in their kid shows than what the U.S. would find acceptable. It's also weird to use another series to determine what the age rang for Pokemon's target audience would be, especially when One Piece is a different kind of series than Pokemon is. One Piece is an adaptation of a long running Shonen Jump manga while Pokemon is designed to primarily promote the newest games and merchandise. This comparison just doesn't make any sense to me. I still don't know if it's that different in Japan, but most shows aimed at preschoolers tend to be more focused on education and/or teaching some moral lesson with their episode, which doesn't really apply to Pokemon either. Pokemon is aimed at kids, but I really don't think it's considered a preschool show in Japan.
You're making me confused. Are you implying that the target audience who watch Pokemon would be the same age as the target audience for One-Piece? I don't know what doesn't make sense.

You're making me confused. Are you implying that the target audience who watch Pokemon would be the same age as the target audience for One-Piece? I don't know what doesn't make sense.

I'm apparently not being clear here. That isn't what I'm implying. I'm not quite sure how you got that impression when I said that One Piece and Pokemon are two different kind of series. I am saying that they are both seen as kid shows in Japan, but that does not mean that they both have the same exact age range for their target audience.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom