• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Is that really GameFreak's fault though? I don't think they had any control over Nintendo Online. Granted, they still require players to trade, and therefore basically require people to purchase Nintendo Online because who has IRL friends in 2020, but I wouldn't attribute that to greed (Does GameFreak get a kickback from NSO anyways? Wouldn't Nintendo be the greedy one here?), moreso GameFreak's inability to adapt and evolve quickly. And general boneheadedness.

Isn't online play integral to the function of those games? I know Fortnite, Smite, and Warframe for sure need online connectivity (they are also free-to-play, which might factor into their exemption as well). Requiring players to purchase NSO would essentially force them to pay twice for those games and/or restrict their playerbase. On the other hand, Pokemon tends to be much more single-player orientated. I don't think its online functions are enough to justify exemption from NSO in the eyes of Nintendo unfortunately.

Pretty much I'm just pointing out Nintendo wants to force you pay for online on the switch to get the full experience of their titles for the most part . This is especially true with games like Mario maker 2 and splatoon 2 and mario kart as while they have major Single player and/or local play components there in many ways designed with online functionality at the fore front of the experience in many ways.

Isn't online play integral to the function of those games? I know Fortnite, Smite, and Warframe for sure need online connectivity (they are also free-to-play, which might factor into their exemption as well). Requiring players to purchase NSO would essentially force them to pay twice for those games and/or restrict their playerbase. On the other hand, Pokemon tends to be much more single-player orientated. I don't think its online functions are enough to justify exemption from NSO in the eyes of Nintendo unfortunately.
Eh, I get that for some games, but Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Maker 2 are absolutely online-based, and that doesn't stop Nintendo from adding the extra 20$ to their price.

NOW they are basically saying pay something or you don't get the extra 200 Pokemon that dependinng on who you ask same with the dlc should have been in the game in the first place

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t like Dexit even though I love SWSH - but you don’t have to buy the DLC to get the +200 Pokémon. They’ll be updated into the games regardless and you can acquire them without the DLC through trading or Home. Which happens to be exactly how I got my Pokémon that didn’t appear in the Alola dex in my Ultra Sun game.

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t like Dexit even though I love SWSH - but you don’t have to buy the DLC to get the +200 Pokémon. They’ll be updated into the games regardless and you can acquire them without the DLC through trading or Home. Which happens to be exactly how I got my Pokémon that didn’t appear in the Alola dex in my Ultra Sun game.

It's hardly any different than in previous generations.

If someone bought Pokemon X but didn't want to buy Omega Ruby but they wanted a Baltoy (it's not in X) then they could:

1. Migrate a Baltoy from a previous generation.

2. Trade for it.

It's different because you have to wait a year just for about half of the missing 490 critters. Also, for the legendaries that can be used competitively (ranked battles), you need to get the DLC or trade with someone who who did (due to the Galar symbol restriction). Granted, you also had to get ORAS and USUM for legendaries, but I can certainly see why ORAS would be preferred to DLC.

For that matter, I have my doubts that most kids are going to notice the fine print about being able to use Home instead of the DLC; I can't even find it on the official site. Maybe when they start to actually promote Home...

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me what is the mascot of crown TUNDRA a grass type? or any type but ice type?

Any chance we get an ice legendary / mythical in tundra?

Anyone else get the vibe that this approach is also a sort of response to the complaints about Mythical Pokémon not having much lore in recent games? I know that Kubfu and Calyrex aren't technically Mythical Pokémon, but they are Pokémon of similar high status that are added to the game after the fact and have in-game quests to obtain them in the way that the Gen 4 Mythicals did. Additionally, they aren't part of a cohesive "lesser" trio, and don't seem to have much in common with the marquee Legendaries, either.

(More speculatively, perhaps this is a glimpse of how Mythicals will work in the DP remakes - through DLC expansion packs.)

Can someone explain to me what is the mascot of crown TUNDRA a grass type? or any type but ice type?

Perhaps because of that exact contrast. You wouldn't expect most greenery to survive very well in such a harsh, wintry place, but perhaps some mystical power related to that Pokémon enables it to. Personally, it kinda reminds me of the spirit oasis at the North Pole in the first season of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I somehow see Galar being a mini Pokemon Nation to GF's eyes, since both the UK and Japan are powerful Island Nations. I mean we have Kanto as represented by the main Galar map, Johto and Hoenn with the Isle of Armor, and Sinnoh the Crown Tundra.

Calyrex is said to be a PREVIOUS ruler of Galar. It being a grass type living in the tundra now seems fitting for something that used to have so much power, but no longer does.

I think people trying to predict what's coming with Gamefreak need to realize that 2021 is going to be Pokemon's 25th anniversary year. That's typically a huge deal in Japan... Doesn't really matter that the 20th was a big year-long thing. I don't really see them just doing DP remakes or more DLC next year... I see them planning something bigger.

I did see a rumor today that 2021 is going to be a big year.

Im not gonna repost it here but it basically said

SwSh dlc parts 3 and 4 are centered around the theme of Industry and History and will be announced same time next year. Only this time for a May 2021 and August 2021 release date.

Sinnoh remakes are being made and will be announced in may 2021 at their press conference they have. At the same time announcing SwSh dlc 3 will be available after the conference.

Pokemon Ranger series gets revisited and the new mobile game is launched

Complete BS but its an intresting concept

I guess that makes sense. I hope there is a new ruler or something that is ice type.

In general I think there should be more ice types because it is called TUNDRA!!! ahaha

I guess that makes sense. I hope there is a new ruler or something that is ice type.

In general I think there should be more ice types because it is called TUNDRA!!! ahaha
You do realise that a Tundra IS a grassy landscape that is situated beyond the arctic circle? And is green throughout the short summer months.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom