• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Couldn't really think of the word/phrase for describing design on apparel that's specific to or representative of a place. I keep thinking "regional" but it doesn't feel 100% right to me, or is it right and I'm thinking too hard on this? Thanks ahead of time.

I think 'regional' is the word - it just has slightly different connotations to Pokémon fans

I'm writing a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fanfic, and the inciting incident is that the heroes receive an egg from a mission. The nature of the mission isn't important, just the reward, so I'm not sure how to write it. Should I skip through it, or show a snippet of the mission to drop in characterisation?

I'm writing a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fanfic, and the inciting incident is that the heroes receive an egg from a mission. The nature of the mission isn't important, just the reward, so I'm not sure how to write it. Should I skip through it, or show a snippet of the mission to drop in characterisation?
Based off the information here I would show the end of the mission to help set up characterization, but not the entire thing.

Thanks. I was originally considering showing the middle of the mission, but the end would be more interesting. Now you've given a direction. Thanks!

I'm writing a story where a character has gone through a lot of development before the story begins, and I probably won't be able to fit in flashbacks. How do I convey this?

I'm writing a story where a character has gone through a lot of development before the story begins, and I probably won't be able to fit in flashbacks. How do I convey this?

without further detail, i'm not sure if that's really gonna work. the only way to tell the audience that the character was once different without outright spelling it out is to have the other characters discover someone who remembers the past version of the character or some item(s) from that character's past, like a photograph or a dusty old uniform in their house.

i'm not sure what you mean by not being able to fit in flashbacks, though. you can just have a scene between two others that shows something that happened in the past as long as you indicate it clearly enough somehow. a scene like this would best take place right after something makes the audience question why the character in question acts like they do.

Thanks. To give more context: it's an AU fanfic that begins in medias res, and I got more interested in thinking up a B-plot character's backstory than focusing on the now. I eventually realised that I should keep his backstory in mind and show it through his actions, but I also like your idea for handling flashbacks.

I'm not sure if this is better as a simple question or better as its own thread, but more or less. I've been inactive for a while trying to get the 2nd arc of my fic finished so that I could start posting it, but a lot of my time has gone to going back and making edits, and that's evolved into multiple early posted chapters getting major rewrites. Is it better to just edit old chapters or to remake the whole thing?

I'm not sure if this is better as a simple question or better as its own thread, but more or less. I've been inactive for a while trying to get the 2nd arc of my fic finished so that I could start posting it, but a lot of my time has gone to going back and making edits, and that's evolved into multiple early posted chapters getting major rewrites. Is it better to just edit old chapters or to remake the whole thing?
I would say simply remake the whole thing. Also, it might be better if you waited until you finish the fic before posting it.

I would say simply remake the whole thing. Also, it might be better if you waited until you finish the fic before posting it.

To be honest at this rate that'll be like 5 years at best, and I find it hard to write without an audience. While I can't say I've ever hit it big, comments here and there help keep me going.

The advantage of doing a "reboot" is that you give yourself a buffer while you work on the unwritten chapters. Generally I would advocate for editing over rewrite, but if they're that major then you may well be finding you have to summarise a lot of changes for returning readers anyway

The advantage of doing a "reboot" is that you give yourself a buffer while you work on the unwritten chapters. Generally I would advocate for editing over rewrite, but if they're that major then you may well be finding you have to summarise a lot of changes for returning readers anyway

More buffer would be nice. I had planned to get a lot more writing done last year, but I extended my field position so I spent another year living in the woods which while its inspiring is hardly conducive to someone who likes to write on a computer. I think I am gonna have to just do it from scratch. Looking at the version currently up and the edits there are multiple chapters that have updates which really change the context of some things. I completely cut characters from showing up in the earliest chapters since I wanted to give them more weight when you finally meet them, I've filled plot holes and spanned a few logic gaps, but most of all I feel like I put more into how the plot is going to work why people are doing things, how the world functions, and all that. stuff that changes course from the old one. That last one makes me feel like its different enough that it could do with just being "rebooted". Not only is it updated information it changes some of the characters and their dynamics and readers might be like "oh this isn't a direction I like anymore" so it gives them a better idea of what I've been working at right away without having to jump back or rely on summaries.

@jasonwolf I would originally have said to edit, but you've since elaborated that the changes are really quite drastic. My recommendation to you is that you get the story in good shape up to the current point of writing, and start publishing it in a new thread, using the existing material as a buffer rather than posting everything in one go.

@jasonwolf I would originally have said to edit, but you've since elaborated that the changes are really quite drastic. My recommendation to you is that you get the story in good shape up to the current point of writing, and start publishing it in a new thread, using the existing material as a buffer rather than posting everything in one go.
I agree with this.

In a fanfic I'm currently writing, a character talks about her backstory. I can picture the things she's talking about just fine, but I don't know how to write it down in a way that's more interesting than just a block of dialogue.

A block of dialogue can be interesting! The other night, I read a chapter of The Secret Commonwealth where a guy exposits a cultural myth for three solid pages of uninterrupted monologuing. And it was fun!

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom