• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Non-Mafia Pokemon Chess - Final Round

Reaction score
Old door in the deepest deepths of The War Room opens slowly, revealing a large, open field with four huge stadiums. It definitely shouldn't be here and wasn't here before. Yes, someone is messing around with space again. If it continues, sooner or later Palkia will simply blow the entire place up - it will be much easier than having to constantly deal with side effects of TWR users having fun.
Acrobatic Crobat, relatively new to TWR, comes forward before the surprised crowd, followed relucantly by one of the mods, Aussie Eevee. Crobat is extremely excited; Eevee's face rather clearly says something inbetween "What did I get myself into" and "Please run, this guy's crazy".

Welcome, all chess lovers out there (and people who never played chess too). Today I'd like to present to you... my very own variation of this noble, high class game. Please follow me.

The crowd gathers on the plaza inbetween stadiums. Soon four large screens rise from the ground - each showing live camera feed from one of the arenas. All four look mostly the same: square on the inside, decorated with checker pattern, with nine three metters long tiles vertically and nine horizontally. Large metal letters and numbers are embedded into the ground, creating a coordinate grid. On each arena stand thirty six Pokemon - each taking only one tile, only one Pokemon on each tile, all waiting for orders. They're rather clearly divided into identical teams, though with Pokemon on the south being shiny. At both ends of each stadium lies large supply of Rare Candies.
pk chessboard.png
Someone raises hand.
"So... you want us to play chess - with living Pokemon?"

Well, yes, that's exactly what I have in mind! But let me explain everything.

AC raises his hands dramatically and suddenly phamplets start falling from the sky, detailing the rules.
  1. Two players compete against each other, trying to defeat all 18 enemy Pokemon.
  2. Two teams are: regulars and shinies. Shinies have the first move; sides are assigned randomly.
  3. Players post their moves in the "Pokemon Name -> tile coordinates" format - for example in order to move shiny Bulbasaur two tiles forward, from tile I8 to I6, you have to post it as "Bulbasaur -> I6".
  4. Player 2 must wait 'till player 1 finishes his move to post his. The host will try to update the chessboard graphic at least 2-3 times a day. You don't have to wait for update while posting your move, but keep in mind that more moves you make without update, the harder it becomes to actually keep track on what's going on. Try to limit yourself to at most 3 moves per player between each update.
  5. No two Pokemon on the same team can be on the same tile at the same time.
  6. If two Pokemon from opposing teams end up on the same tile, they fight, with the result of the fight based on Pokemon type, evolutionary stage and attacker:
    a) If both Pokemon are the same stage but have different type, the one with type advantage wins.
    b) If both Pokemon are the same stage and type, the one attacking wins.
    c) If both Pokemon are the same type but different stage or different stage and type with higher stage Pokemon having type advantage, the one on higher stage wins.
    d) If both Pokemon are different type and stage and the one on lower stage has advantage, the lower stage Pokemon wins if it attacks first - otherwise the fight results in double knock out.
  7. Whenever one of the first stage Pokemon reaches the opposite side of the arena (row 9 for regulars, row 1 for shinies), it will start eating Rare Candies and soon evolve into its final stage. The candies have been modified to only work temporarily, so all Pokemon go back to normal after the match ends. Said modifications also made the Candies react to shiny gene, either only activating or not activating at all if it's present - in other words, yeah, your Pokemon could just turn around and start feasting on candies on their side, but they won't have any effect on them.
  8. Different Pokemon move in their own distinctive ways:
    a) All basic stage Pokemon can move one tile per turn vertically or horizontally (two tiles if it's their first turn). They can however only attack diagonally forward - like Pawns in chess.
    b) Venusaur and Swampert can move vertically or horizontally, covering at most half of the board (5 tiles) in one move, similarly to Rooks.
    c) Blaziken and Charizard move the same way as Knight in chess - one tile vertically or horizontally, then one diagonally, while jumping over any other Pokemon in the way.
    d) Sceptile and Blastoise can move 5 tiles diagonally, essentially making them the equivalent of Bishops.
    e) Meganium, Feraligatr and Typhlosion can all move three tiles in any direction - vertically, horizontally or diagonally, making them slightly weaker version of chess Queen.
  9. Finally, all fully evolved Pokemon have their own special abilities to make their lives slightly easier (or harder, sometimes). Said abilities are always active and can't be turned off. They are as follows:
    a) Venusaur - Its most powerful attack, Frenzy Plant, can be used to immobilise enemies. Whenever Venusaur wins a fight, it will fire a Frenzy Plant that immobilises all allies and enemies in 3x3 square around Venusaur for one turn. Immobilised Pokemon can't move, but can still fight if attacked. This skill has a two turns cooldown.
    b) Charizard - huge and strong wings are this Pokemon's pride - and best defense. Whenever other Pokemon uses its ability on Charizard, it covers itself with wings so it doesn't affect it - it can't be immobilised by Frenzy Plant, mesmerised by Sweet Scent, scared by Feraligatr's brutality nor knocked back by Swampert. Other abilities still work on it.
    c) Blastoise - thanks to its powerful shell it can protect one ally on vertically or horizontally adjacent tile. Such ally can't be knocked out until Blastoise is - this includes fainting due to Typhlosion's ability. If there is more than one allied Pokemon on those tiles, protection will not work.
    d) Meganium - using its scent, it can temporarily calm other Pokemon. Any tile adjacent vertically or horizontally (not diagonally) to the tiles through which Meganium walked on its turn are bathed in Sweet Scent, preventing Pokemon, ally or enemy, on them from attacking (but not moving) for one turn. This only works if Meganium makes a move - if it simply stands in place, it won't activate.
    e) Typhlosion - as it falls, it briefly loses control over its powerful flames. If it gets knocked out, so do all of the grass types, friend or foe, on the diagonally, vertically and horizontally adjacent tiles (that is, in a 3x3 square centered on Typhlosion).
    f) Feraligatr - powerful jaws of this reptilian Pokemon make for an intimidating weapon. Whenever it defeats an enemy, its brutal fighting style will frighten all Pokemon, ally or enemy, on four adjacent tiles, causing them to move one step back from Feraligatr.
    g) Sceptile - it preffers quick attacks and hit-and-run tactics. If it attacks another Pokemon and wins, it then returns to the tile on which it started the turn.
    h) Blaziken - its Speed Boost allows it to keep going after knocking out an opponent. Once it defeats an opponent in battle, it keeps going for one more tile vertically or horizontally in the direction it attacked (as a example, a Blaziken on E5 can attack one of eight tiles - D3, F3, C4, C6, D7, F7, G4 or G6. If it attacks D3 or F3, it then makes one more step towards row 1, if D7 or F7 - towards row 9, if C4 or C6 - towards column A, if G4 or G6 - towards column I). If said tile is already occupied, it won't work.
    i) Swampert - by charging relentlessly forward, it can knock other Pokemon aside. If an enemy Pokemon stands 5 tiles away from it (that is, Swampert's maximum movement distance), instead of attacking Swampert will charge it down, knocking it back two tiles and taking its place. If the tile two places back is already occupied, the Pokemon will only be pushed back one tile, and if that is also ocuppied, the it cannot be pushed at all and will be normally attacked.
  10. All Bulbagarden and TWR rules still apply.

So that's it. If you have any questions, I'm standing right here. So let's start sign ups - there are only 8 places!

Last edited:
Everything about how the pieces move is explained in rules. If you're asking if unevolved Pokemon can only move forward, like pawns in chess - no, they can move in any direction vertically or horizontally, though they can only attack diagonally forward - indeed like pawns.

The sign ups close tommorow. If we get a fourth player by then, we'll be doing a two round knockout tournament-style competition; otherwise everyone will play one game against the other two, with the person who wins both of their games being the winner - unless everyone wins one and loses one, in which case it will be a three-way tie.

The sign ups close tommorow. If we get a fourth player by then, we'll be doing a two round knockout tournament-style competition; otherwise everyone will play one game against the other two, with the person who wins both of their games being the winner - unless everyone wins one and loses one, in which case it will be a three-way tie.
It might be a timezone thing but you still have 2 full days. It's fine if you then start things on sunday.

Alright, time to start!
For the first round, we have two matches.

On the Red Field, @CheffOfGames will play against @Midorikawa.
pk chessboard.png
The shiny team and therefore the first move goes to Cheff.

On the Blue Field, @DarthWolf will play against @ExLight.
pk chessboard blue.png
The shiny team and therefore the first move goes to ExLight.

Now, let's begin!

(Also, @Snowy )

Reading through the rules once more I have a question
f) Feraligatr - powerful jaws of this reptilian Pokemon make for an intimidating weapon. Whenever it defeats an enemy, its brutal fighting style will frighten all Pokemon, ally or enemy, on four adjacent tiles, causing them to move one step back from Feraligatr.
It states "four adjacent tiles", does that mean that only 4 Pokémon max. can be affected by this no matter the direction or is it only diagonally/horizontally and vertically, if the first, how is that decided?

Reading through the rules once more I have a question

It states "four adjacent tiles", does that mean that only 4 Pokémon max. can be affected by this no matter the direction or is it only diagonally/horizontally and vertically, if the first, how is that decided?
It means " four horizontally or vertically adjacent tiles".

pk chessboard.png

pk chessboard blue.png

So what happens on a tie? Since the there is no king, which on its own is already weird, it can be easy to end up with the same type and stage on the board, resulting in double knock outs.
...Compared to the earliest rule drafts what I published has already been tweaked a bit to make ties less likely, but I somehow didn't think of that.

In case when tie becomes unavoidable, the game ends and the player that reduced the opponent to the final Pokemon first wins.

Give me a few more minutes to iron all kins out of this new rule.

EDIT: Having gone through the rules again, there's actually no way for a tie to happen. If both Pokemon are the same type, the attacker wins - double knockout only happens if higher stage Pokemon at type disadvantage attacks. That said, situation where both sides have only one same stage same type Pokemon left would still result in a loooong contest of "who can get in position for attack without getting attacked", so the rule still holds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom