• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

An eighth gen Pokémon for pack 2 seems likely. I'd like Rillaboom so we have a fully evolved Grass-starter to go with Greninja, Incineroar, and Charizard, but it's obviously not my decision to make.

Won't happen but want to see: Doomguy. Even John Carmack agrees!

I suspect Sora would be in if Disney wasn't involved in the character to make the negotiations more complex.

Now that I think about it, does somebody know how Three Houses was received? That might also explain why Byleth got in.

Or if there's an executive that likes FE?
It did really well--according to wiki it's the best seller in it's franchise. It also won at the Game Awards as Best Strategy Game and Player's Voice.

Last edited:
An eighth gen Pokémon for pack 2 seems likely. I'd like Rillaboom so we have a fully evolved Grass-starter to go with Greninja, Incineroar, and Charizard, but it's obviously not my decision to make.
That would be nice actually.
Won't happen but want to see: Doomguy. Even John Carmack agrees!
Blame Bobby Prince for being too lazy to compose his own songs.

It did really well--according to wiki it's the best seller in it's franchise. It also won at the Game Awards as Best Strategy Game and Player's Voice.
I guess I got my answer here.

I think that these 6 packs are going to be the last ones added since Sakurai mentioned that he only wanted to add 1 or 2 characters for extra packs. I will honestly be okay with these 6 packs being the last ones considering the amount of characters are 80 right now.

I think that these 6 packs are going to be the last ones added since Sakurai mentioned that he only wanted to add 1 or 2 characters for extra packs. I will honestly be okay with these 6 packs being the last ones considering the amount of characters are 80 right now.

And twelve DLC characters is nice enough. In fact, I think only things like Tekken, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat have more DLC characters.

What I find hilarious about Byleth now being in Smash was that his original male VA (Chris Niosi) did the role just so he could be part of Smash...

and then he did a big WHOOPSIE and screwed himself over by breaking his NDA hence why Zach Aguilar is the voice now.

Now that's what I call a Brawl Taunt!

What I find hilarious about Byleth now being in Smash was that his original male VA (Chris Niosi) did the role just so he could be part of Smash...

and then he did a big WHOOPSIE and f**ked over himself by breaking his NDA hence why Zach Aguilar is the voice now.

Now that's what I call a Brawl Taunt!
Really? When did he say that?

Really? When did he say that?
It was apparently on some Discord server where he bragged that he was voicing a character that he hoped would one day be in Smash.

That and there was the whole allegation thing that happened too though it seems to have quietened down since Niosi is back doing voice work again. He was recently in the new Saiki K series for VSI/Netflix.

It was apparently on some Discord server where he bragged that he was voicing a character that he hoped would one day be in Smash.

That and there was the whole allegation thing that happened too though it seems to have quietened down since Niosi is back doing voice work again. He was recently in the new Saiki K series for VSI/Netflix.
How unfortunate. Kind of a shame he broke his NDA and had allegations of abuse, I liked his portrayal of Male Byleth in 3 Houses. He sounded more... older?, I guess, in contrast to Zach Augilar, who sounds more youthful.

For people who are complaining that Byleth is in Smash, I would like to point out we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Sorry for coming off as rude, but it's technically true. We the fans and the consumers are the reason Three Houses sold so well, we also wanted a Fire Emblem character that wasn't a sword wielder and included the FE weapon triangle (square/ trapezoid). So Nintendo gave us exactly want we wanted and responded to great selling Three Houses, so who's really to blame here? Ourselves who supported the game? Or Nintendo and Sakurai who were just responding to the popularity of the game?

As for my personal feelings on Byleth in Smash. I actually really like their moveset, since their moveset is more whip/chain than sword and I love the addition of the other weapons from the House Leaders. My only complaint that their final Smash doesn't include said House Leaders into Byleth's final Smash, like Shulk's Chain Attack final Smash.

Ubisoft has gotten some recognition too with some Mii Fighter costumes for both Altair from Assassin's Creed (though hilariously they just call the title of the franchise Altair in the US unlike both Europe and Japan who still call it Assassin's Creed) and the Rabbids.

I kind of called it so I'm very happy for Byleth's inclusion (especially with Three Houses big success, so I kind of expected it), and their moveset is very unique so they'll probably be my secondary. Though I still wished it could have been Dimitri or Claude instead, but Byleth was gonna be an obvious choice anyway. (now can my boys Linhardt and Felix be a spirit, please)

Now I just hope the twin protags from Astral Chain can be a fighter in the second wave DLC and I'll be happy.

I was thinking a bit more why Fire Emblem gets more representation than series like Legend of Zelda despite selling less, and I believe the answer lies in representation. In Legend of Zelda, the 3 main characters are Zelda, Link, Ganondorf- that's pretty much it. These 3 characters take the center stage in pretty much every game, and it doesn't help that each Link and Zelda is a reincarnation of each other Link and Zelda. So you can see where this is going... Link of Twilight Princess can substitute for Spirit Tracks, and not much difference. As for characters like Skull Kid and Midna, they've only appeared once, and only makes cameos in recent games. Heck, even Sheik has only appeared in Ocarina of Time.

Fire Emblem has the complete opposite problem. All the worlds are completely isolated and have unique premises. You could never use Chrom or Corrin to represent 3 Houses for example. If anything, its like Pokemon. Too many unique characters for the series own good. As for too many Swordfighters, that on Intelligent System, not Sakurai.

Fire Emblem has the complete opposite problem. All the worlds are completely isolated and have unique premises. You could never use Chrom or Corrin to represent 3 Houses for example. If anything, its like Pokemon. Too many unique characters for the series own good. As for too many Swordfighters, that on Intelligent System, not Sakurai.
I guess timing is also kind of problematic, since the non-Sword protagonists are few and their games end up being released when there's no chance to get into Smash.

EDIT: Adding to this, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I guess the only time they could have used a non-sword user would have been in Melee, since they didn't know exactly who else from FE to include and they settled for Roy way too late in development, to the point his internal name is just "Emblem".

Last edited:
As long as Sora and Crash make the cut for the new fighters pass I’ll be fine. And I think an 8th gen pokemon as a fighter is a given. I want it to be Rillaboom so that we can finally have a fully evolved grass starter playable but I have a feeling it might be Urshifu just to promote the isle of armor DLC.

I mean, I'm fine with either Rillaboom for being the standalone Grass starter to complete the trio with Greninja and Incineroar, or Urshifu so there would be a playable legendary Pokemon that's not Mewtwo.

I'm not convinced that a complete trio of fully evolved starters is even on their mind. The inclusion of Incineroar instead of Decidueye certainly went against that for me. Now I know that Charizard is a part of Pokemon Trainer's moveset in Ultimate, but I still think it counts as a fully evolved Fire starter, so picking Incineroar just seemed redundant if there was any intention of creating a roster with starters of all three types.

Even today there are people requesting Cinderace and I just can't understand. Do they want the roster full of Fire starters? =/

Personally, I think it would be neat to get a Pokemon that isn't a starter again. I'd really like to see Zacian, but don't think it would work to not have Zacian and Zamazenta together, so that complicates things. I don't know think they could work like Ice Climbers, but I don't know.

Urshifu would at least not be a starter, but I'd really be "meh" to that one.

Give me a good non-anthropomorphic wolf character... Whether that be Zacian, Zamazenta or Amaterasu I'm not picky. =P

Back
Top Bottom