• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

That's because they are wanting to surprise us.
You actually believe that?

They don't carry the same weight as new plot-heavy legendaries or Galarian forms of old favourites (playing on nostalgia); why showcase those two categories but not the 'regular' non-legendary Pokémon? That doesn't make any sense. Also, if we look at USUM, not even those games introduced brand new regular lines; only event-Mythicals and Ultra Beasts (which are kind of like Legendaries, but just not in name).

You actually believe that?

They don't carry the same weight as new plot-heavy legendaries or Galarian forms of old favourites (playing on nostalgia); why showcase those two categories but not the 'regular' non-legendary Pokémon? That doesn't make any sense. Also, if we look at USUM, not even those games introduced brand new regular lines; only event-Mythicals and Ultra Beasts (which are kind of like Legendaries, but just not in name).
Galar forms and plot-heavy legendaries aren't the only reason people get Pokemon games. Game Freak can easily introduce new fossils mid-generation considering now they can do updates. Plus, having the full fossil Pokemon would actually enhance the idea of having different combinations.

Galar forms and plot-heavy legendaries aren't the only reason people get Pokemon games.
I'm not even saying that. I just point out that all kinds of different new Pokémon are mentioned and new regulars aren't, probably because they won't be included. Then I mentioned that intentionally leaving them out, as Gardenia suggests, is pointless as Galarian forms and Legendaries are generally more 'special' and hold a bigger surprise-factor.

I'm not even saying that. I just point out that all kinds of different new Pokémon are mentioned and new regulars aren't, probably because they won't be included. Then I mentioned that intentionally leaving them out, as Gardenia suggests, is pointless as Galarian forms and Legendaries are generally more 'special' and hold a bigger surprise-factor.
You can't treat the site as Gospel, we have to wait for future updates. We are only in January at the moment.

You can't treat the site as Gospel, we have to wait for future updates. We are only in January at the moment.
Oh come on, you can't say that something that's not being mentioned is still plausible at all times. It's like saying that there's a chance for Mega Evolutions to return.

Nothing indicates new regular Pokémon; not the trailer, not the Direct, not even the site. It's clearly leaning more towards my point than yours.

Months ago I mentioned that speculation should be speculation; points made shouldn't be baseless and should instead have some sort of pattern, plausibility or otherwise supporting it. Just blatantly making guesses is not true speculation and doesn't even make it discussable as it's your own pocket-reality instead of a somewhat-supported statement.

For example; It wasn't plausible to think that Galar would have gotten the B/W treatment with 150 more designs. There were patterns, statements and other things (like regional forms and unique mechanics) 'supporting' this. I supported my point with the information on the site telling what we'll get in terms of Pokémon-categories, but you actually go out of your way to avoid that part.

Anyway, you do you. We'll see how things will develop the upcoming months. Again, I would really love new regional evolutions for Galarian forms and the like, but reading the stuff we got just doesn't make it plausible.

Last edited:
Fossil Pokemon are technically on a category of their own, so you can't really call them "normal Pokemon" in the same sense as other non-legendary Pokemon.

Oh come on, you can't say that something that's not being mentioned is still plausible at all times. It's like saying that there's a chance for Mega Evolutions to return.

Nothing indicates new regular Pokémon; not the trailer, not the Direct, not even the site. It's clearly leaning more towards my point than yours.
Except that they themselves confirmed that Mega Evolutions aren't returning. New Pokemon is still a possibility simply because they are holding the DLC information away from us.

Except that they themselves confirmed that Mega Evolutions aren't returning. New Pokemon is still a possibility simply because they are holding the DLC information away from us.
The same way they are not mentioning new Pokémon but DO mention all other categories.

Id still disagree

Yes these maps are seemless like the wild area but these have something the first doesnt More areas.

" Beaches, Bogs, Forests, Caves and Dunes "

I find it hard to believe for an expansion based around growth they wouldn't put at least some npc's scattered around to aid that growth.

Now that said do i think there will be tons no i dont but i do see at least more than 1 roaming npc like in the first wild area.
All of those geographic features could be contained in the open world area. I don’t think we’ll be seeing any routes or dungeons with trainers. At most we’ll have a regi temple which have never had trainers in the past.
Edit: There will probably be trainers in the dojo building that you fight. But I think you said excluding that.

As for this other discussion, I think people are just annoyed that others keep saying things like “this is likely to/probably will happen” when there’s little to no basis for that speculation. Anything is possible but not everything is probable. That being said, there’s no reason not to speculate; that’s what this thread is for.

if they would have better abilities and stats no one would complain so much... but more fossils would be cool.
Who cares about abilities and stats, they're dying. Mr. Fish is so powerful because if you won't kill him he'll kill you and everyone else.

All of those geographic features could be contained in the open world area. I don’t think we’ll be seeing any routes or dungeons with trainers. At most we’ll have a regi temple which have never had trainers in the past.
Edit: There will probably be trainers in the dojo building that you fight. But I think you said excluding that.

As for this other discussion, I think people are just annoyed that others keep saying things like “this is likely to/probably will happen” when there’s little to no basis for that speculation. Anything is possible but not everything is probable. That being said, there’s no reason not to speculate; that’s what this thread is for.

Oh well ill keep it as we will wait and see

Sidenote open or not theres never been a forest or cave without at least a few npc trainers is all im saying

Oh well ill keep it as we will wait and see

Sidenote open or not theres never been a forest or cave without at least a few npc trainers is all im saying
There’s technically a forest in the wild area. And there have been several caves with no NPC trainers. Most of them were legendary locations, though, which is what I expect the ones in the tundra to be. Though as you said, I guess we’ll see!

The Berry Forest in the Sevii Islands doesn't have any Trainers. The Ilex Forest (in every appearance other than Crystal) didn't have any, either.

Nor did the Slumbering Weald (unless you're counting Hop) or the Lush Jungle (unless you're counting the story-related battles against Mallow and/or Lana).

But I say all that just to be pedantic. :p Overall, I don't think it would be super unlikely to have NPC Trainers in the Isle/Tundra - and personally I kinda hope that there are some.

if they would have better abilities and stats no one would complain so much
I'm pretty certain the main reason people dislike the fossils is because of their design (which isn't helped by the fact that no other fossils are in the base game), not their stats and abilities.

archeology did become more popular in the UK due to the overwhelming amount of fossil pieces
>archaeology
>fossils

Somewhere a paleontologist is crying.

I find it hard to believe for an expansion based around growth they wouldn't put at least some npc's scattered around to aid that growth.
I figure any NPCs featured in the Isle of Armor will not be like regular NPCs; I think they'll be more similar to the special NPCs in gen 7 and/or that breeder in the Wild Area whose team of starters grows stronger. I just don't see GameFreak including regular NPCs in an area that seems like it will primarily be meant for exploring.

While I agree with the sentiment that new non-legendary/mythical Pokemon are unlikely, if I remember correctly GameFreak directly said that Mega Evolutions weren't going to be in SwSh. I think that's a little more definitive than the website not mentioning new non-legendary/mythical Pokemon.

They certainly didn't allude to adding missing Pokemon until this month, so I'd say that nothing is off the table just because they said "no" last year. But if they have any sense, they won't create the "anything goes" metagame that some fans are weirdly craving.

If the only trainer battles this DLC offers are relegated to the dojo, that's kind of sad.

They certainly didn't allude to adding missing Pokemon until this month, so I'd say that nothing is off the table just because they said "no" last year.
If I remember correctly, GameFreak never outright stated that they were not adding in the missing Pokemon--which got muddled in the Internet grapevine methinks--so I don't think their inclusion opens the doors for things that were outright "no"s.

If I remember correctly, GameFreak never outright stated that they were not adding in the missing Pokemon--which got muddled in the Internet grapevine methinks--so I don't think their inclusion opens the doors for things that were outright "no"s.
“We currently don’t have plans to make the Pokémon that are missing from the Galar Pokédex available in the game,” Masuda said. “This is an approach that we want to continue with in future Pokémon games. Up until now it hasn’t been possible to encounter every Pokemon in every game, so people had to transfer them from old games to the new game, by using Pokémon Bank as an example.”
I guess you could say that "currently" is the key word, but this was only two months before the Direct...

ok, but we know the Tundra has a close knit community, it was mentioned in the Direct/trailer. I can'ti imagine there not being any new traienrs outside of facilities. And if there really aren't, then please have them update some of the trainers in Galar to be available for rematches. I mean, we're carrying a freaking phone around, so they could easily give us a ring

ok, but we know the Tundra has a close knit community, it was mentioned in the Direct/trailer. I can'ti imagine there not being any new traienrs outside of facilities. And if there really aren't, then please have them update some of the trainers in Galar to be available for rematches. I mean, we're carrying a freaking phone around, so they could easily give us a ring
*has flashbacks of the Match Call from Emerald and the Pokégear from the Johto games* Hopefully this time it will come with something like an ignore feature just so that you don't get interrupted frequently while doing other things.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom