• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PSA: Gou is NOT a psychopath

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't know that he won't release any Pokemon, and I am not sure why it matters so much to you. Newflash: Only Ash, Jessie, James, Misty and Dawn have released a few of their Pokemon. All the other characters are so heartless.

Pokémon are suposed to be living things not your private zoo you jerk
They aren't locked in cages or Poke Balls. It's a big park where they can roam freely without anyone bothering them... just like in Oak's ranch, which probably doesn't bother you. In all likelihood, these Pokemon didn't move around too much in their original habitats, either. The worldbuilding around wild Pokemon has always been rather iffy.

This is not to say that the writers shouldn't take a moment to breathe and have Go reflect on what's best for his Pokemon, but come on. Your bias is showing.

Last edited:
You don't know that he won't release any Pokemon, and I am not sure why it matters so much to you. Newflash: Only Ash, Jessie, James, Misty and Dawn have released a few of their Pokemon. All the other characters are so heartless.

Maybe he will, who knows, but if his main goal is catching every species of Pokémon releasing a Pokémon will be a little weird. He could catch another but come on you think these writters will do that. Also trainers like May or Kiawe never released his Pokémon, true. But his goal was not to catch every Pokémon and at least they bounded his Pokémon, do you think Stanler is going to receive his own episode bonding with Go? He doesnt care about them, for him they are tools for the greater good .

They aren't locked in cages or Poke Balls. It's a big park where they can roam freely without anyone bothering them... just like in Oak's ranch, which probably doesn't bother you. In all likelihood, these Pokemon didn't move around too much in their original habitats, either. The worldbuilding around wild Pokemon has always been rather iffy.

This is not to say that the writers shouldn't take a moment to breathe and have Go reflect on what's best for his Pokemon, but come on. Your bias is showing.

Would they find love there? Oak Ranch have been showing to be as big as the safari Zone since not only Ash Pokémon live there. If only his Pokémon live there how would they mate. Poor guys. That Buterfree of him is not going to have any descendants. As long as we know Egg Groups dont work in Pokeani word

Im biassed? Of course I am I dont like where this is going, but my Team Rocket clause doesnt allow me to stop watching untill they're gone. Soo I will continue to rant as long as nescesary, of course I will be more than happy to debate with you or any other person why I think Go is one of the worst characters of the series for now. Maybe at april I will love him. Maybe at April I will be more interested in the Digimon reboot, or I will hate it too.

Who knows?

What makes you think he won't be able to let a Pokemon go? He's shown to care about Pokemon, even ones that he doesn't personally own. Before he even knew Scorbunny, he tried to defend it from the merchant it and its crew stole from. He flipped out when Scorbunny almost got eaten. And there's no way that the anime would have a main character be so callous as to hold a Pokemon against their will when they want to leave. (Unless it was to teach them a lesson that such actions were selfish.)

As it stands, his Pokemon are fine with their scenario. If they weren't, it would come up as a plot point. But if this is something the writers choose to explore later, he can always catch a new Pokemon after an old one leaves. Or maybe he doesn't even need the Pokemon once he has it on his checklist.

He doesnt care about them, for him they are tools for the greater good
Untrue. The end of episode 6 showed him playing with his Pokemon and having fun. Episode 7 showed him and several of his Pokemon exercising together; he told Scorbunny not to push itself too hard with said exercises; he panicked and rushed to Metapod's aide when it smacked into a rock; he chose Scyther over Pinsir for the tournament because one wanted to go and the other didn't.

Last edited:
I think this is the first time that a character from this show gets this much irrational hate, ever since that caption the screenshot thread with full of jokes about Iris; and to be fair, most of those jokes weren't that serious in the first place.

I think this is the first time that a character from this show gets this much irrational hate, ever since that caption the screenshot thread with full of jokes about Iris; and to be fair, most of those jokes weren't that serious in the first place.
I’d say that the hate Go gets has more to do with the execution of the character more than anything. I’d say if they spaced out the captures, had them feel like they have some meaning or challenge rather than just happening sporadically, have Go actually use the Pokémon he captures (something they’ve only had happen with 3 of them) and/or didn’t make it feel like Ash is getting shafted in favor of Go, the reception would be better.

I’d say that the hate Go gets has more to do with the execution of the character more than anything. I’d say if they spaced out the captures, had them feel like they have some meaning or challenge rather than just happening sporadically, have Go actually use the Pokémon he captures (something they’ve only had happen with 3 of them) and/or didn’t make it feel like Ash is getting shafted in favor of Go, the reception would be better.
What does anything about this had to do with him being a psychopath, selfish or other things his haters says about him?

The fact that they're destroying this series, it makes no sense, now the Dragonite, in two weeks maybe it will be freaking Suicune

Sun and Moon was a change , a good change in the end, but this... Is too much and the main fault is how the writters want to handle this series.

Go is just the target of our wrath, the main problem is how this series is poor.

What does anything about this had to do with him being a psychopath, selfish or other things his haters says about him?
While an exaggeration on the part of the fandom, a lot actually as it all stems from the writers’ execution of Go as a character. While the prospect of catching all the Pokémon may sound good on paper, everything comes down to execution. And the way that they’ve used Go has cheapened their prospect of captures and taken away what was special about them. When you turn something special into an every day thing, it stops being special. It’s probably a reason why in spite of early Pokémon talking about catching them all, Ash was steered away from it quickly, because, it’s not quite a viable goal within the anime.

Last edited:
Ash was steered away from it quickly, because, it’s not quite a viable goal within the anime.
He never made a moral decison about not catching many pokémon as possible. He didn't catch random pokémon because it wouldn't help him in his goal.
While an exaggeration on the part of the fandom, a lot actually as it all stems from the writers’ execution of Go as a character. While the prospect of catching all the Pokémon may sound good on paper, everything comes down to execution.
What is so terrible about simply catching pokémon compared to using them for battles? No one gave an actual answer to that yet.

What is so terrible about simply catching pokémon compared to using them for battles? No one gave an actual answer to that yet.

I will give you my reasons to, this are MY reasons, this means that while im not right (Nobody have the absolute truth) this is my POV

I will say and everyone to you why im against the idea of somebody catching al the Pokémon, from and Inworld perspective and from an TV series perspective I will try to be short

The main problem here is the goal, have been stated that he will catch every Pokémon to make a road to Mew. Why? cause its strong and rare, okay I will say that in the games all of us do the same, we catch rare Pokémon , we catch every Pokémon... But its the game you know, the series is different , IT HAS to be different. We are not playing the anime, the anime has to show what cannot be seen in the games, the bonds, the happy moments, the sad moments, the joy of living with Pokémon , and the fact that they're breathing things. Also then whats wrong with Team Rocket catching wild Pokémon like those Ivisaurs at episode 3, it's illegal?

From a series perspective, you cannot have a regular cast of 100 character, it's impossible these Pokemon will appear but just will be there to remember us that they're still breathing. They will not have development.

He never made a moral decison about not catching many pokémon as possible. He didn't catch random pokémon because it wouldn't help him in his goal.
He did however start out trying to catch quite a few Pokémon just on sight. The difference there though is that even then, he bonded with those that he caught and he captured Pokémon sparingly.

When it comes to trainers who catch Pokémon for battle, they do so to bring out the best in their Pokémon and make them stronger. Even Paul, for all his harsh methods, believed in that much. In the case with Go, it’s just catching Pokémon for the sake of it, not for battle or even research purposes. As a result, they don’t grow or develop, they simply exist as moving background from that point on.

Last edited:
He did however start out trying to catch quite a few Pokémon just on sight.
No, he didn't.
The difference there though is that even then, he bonded with those that he caught and he captured Pokémon sparingly.
Non sequitur from the claim in your previous post.
When it comes to trainers who catch Pokémon for battle, they do so to bring out the best in their Pokémon and make them stronger. Even Paul, for all his harsh methods, believed in that much. In the case with Go, it’s just catching Pokémon for the sake of it, not for battle or even research purposes. As a result, they don’t grow or develop, they simply exist as moving background from that point on.
So, all those trainers who don't use their pokémon for battle related purposes (such as Serena, Kenji, etc.) were terrible, horrible people?
Also then whats wrong with Team Rocket catching wild Pokémon like those Ivisaurs at episode 3, it's illegal?
They're using nets, weapons and other mechas instead of monster balls.
From a series perspective, you cannot have a regular cast of 100 character, it's impossible these Pokemon will appear but just will be there to remember us that they're still breathing. They will not have development.
Gou doesn't know that he's a character in a show though. It had nothing to do with his personality and his moral character.
The main problem here is the goal, have been stated that he will catch every Pokémon to make a road to Mew. Why? cause its strong and rare, okay I will say that in the games all of us do the same, we catch rare Pokémon , we catch every Pokémon... But its the game you know, the series is different , IT HAS to be different. We are not playing the anime, the anime has to show what cannot be seen in the games, the bonds, the happy moments, the sad moments, the joy of living with Pokémon , and the fact that they're breathing things.
This is your preference about the show and had nothing to do with Gou's moral character. Even after that, it doesn't explain why catching them is morally inferior to using them for battles. Especially in older series, pokémon used for battles always stay on their monster balls, so there wasn't much bonding as you claim.

No, he didn't.
Yes he did. He tried capturing Pidgey, Spearow, Caterpie, Pidgeotto and a Weedle on sight and succeed with 2 of them.

Non sequitur from the claim in your previous post.
No it isn’t as it ties into the prospect that he stopped going after every Pokémon he saw beyond that point.

So, all those trainers who don't use their pokémon for battle related purposes (such as Serena, Kenji, etc.) were terrible, horrible people?
They are at least using their Pokémon for something that is bringing out their potential and something their Pokémon enjoy rather than just having them rot. Don’t try putting words in my mouth.

Yes he did. He tried capturing Pidgey, Spearow, Caterpie, Pidgeotto and a Weedle on sight and succeed with 2 of them.
No. How does that prove that he wanted to caught "every pokémon he saw?"
No it isn’t as it ties into the prospect that he stopped going after every Pokémon he saw beyond that point.
...except there is no such point because he never made a decision like that.
They are at least using their Pokémon for something that is bringing out their potential and something their Pokémon enjoy rather than just having them rot.
Why do they rot?
Don’t try putting words in my mouth.
I asked: What is so terrible about simply catching pokémon compared to using them for battles?
You answered: When it comes to trainers who catch Pokémon for battle, they do so to bring out the best in their Pokémon and make them stronger.
So, according to your post, Gou and people like him are terrible because they don't make their pokémon stronger by using them for battles. Who's putting words on your mouth?

Not sure about other fans, but I personally don't have a problem with the fact that Gou doesn't really battle. We've had plenty of protagonists before who weren't hardcore battlers like Ash, or who rarely battled at all. I don't even care that his goal is to catch all of the Pokemon (although I wish they gave more of an explanation as to why he thinks that'll bring him closer to Mew).

My biggest problem with Gou "simply catching Pokemon" is that it's just plain boring. There's literally never an obstacle in his way. Every capture is the same, and that gets dull. I honestly wouldn't care if him tossing a poke ball was all he had to do every once in a while. But with every single capture, I do think it really does cheapen the experience of catching a Pokemon. He doesn't even have to battle them every single time; what about bonding with or befriending a Pokemon beforehand? Or earning its trust? Maybe he keeps trying to throw a poke ball at a Pokemon and it just isn't working, so he's got to get creative and find another way to catch that Pokemon. I get that they're going for the Go mechanics, but just chucking the poke ball doesn't even work in Go every single time. Sometimes you have to use berries and the like. Why don't they have Gou do something like that every once in a while?

I don't hate Gou. But the writers aren't doing a good job with him right now. He's starting to become kind of one dimensional, which is weird because he didn't start off that way. I feel like the degradation really started when they instituted his goal. Everything that was interesting about his character is being overshadowed by him just rushing to catch Pokemon every episode. I really think that if the writers start to diversify how he catches Pokemon and space out the captures a little more to leave room for Gou to develop as a character, he'll start to be better received.

Not sure about other fans, but I personally don't have a problem with the fact that Gou doesn't really battle.

The problem is Pokemon is primarily about battling. I don't mean Ash's style of battling, have fun to see who is the stronger trainer and who has stronger Pokemon competition.

I mean Pokemon in of itself is a battling franchise for the most primal sake of life or death, or even self defense well except it doesn't go TOO dark on that topic.

Sure Go has the benefit to rely on Ash, but what if Ash isn't there, what if Ash is too busy to help Go. If Go doesn't at least have something to moderately help, he's going to be a weak link, and sure maybe Pokemon isn't dark like other anime, where evil organizations would abduct weak links and force protagonists to bow down to them. But I don't Go can get really that far without at least some moderate battling skill that most of Ash's travelling companions at least had.

He's going to be pretty useless for antagonistic events, just standing, sitting, crying in the corner (potentially), helpless. Besides even if Ash is a strong trainer, should he have to shoulder the burden of being the only one to fight against Team Rocket for example (though at the moment yes, because whole Team Rocket Pokemon thing), but you would think it wouldn't just be up to Ash. And I don't think we're going to get gym leaders, elite four and champions in all those episodes where antagonistic events happen.

If Pokemon was at least a bit more realistic, Go wouldn't be able to just catch any Pokemon freely, but it will never be that way, but he still would be pretty useless if all he does is catch Pokemon. I mean does he really expect that Mew of all Pokemon will just go down to a single thrown Poke ball, I mean obviously yes, because that's what the series has been teaching Go, LOL, but seriously he would have to reasonably battle it in some fashion. Or is Mew just supposed to be impressed that Go caught all of the Pokemon except it. Which I guess would be feasible, since Mew would be excited about the Pokemon it can transform into, but I don't know if a bonding capture makes sense for Mew, but I guess we'll see.

The problem is Pokemon is primarily about battling. I don't mean Ash's style of battling, have fun to see who is the stronger trainer and who has stronger Pokemon competition.

I don't disagree on this front. I would like to see Gou battle more. I just meant I don't mind if he's not as into it as Ash is. But right now, I would agree that I don't like that they've so far shown Gou with zero battling experience and not working on that at all. He doesn't have to be battle crazy like Ash, but I think that he should be shown doing some kind of training. Him not having to battle Pokemon in order to catch them is definitely contributing to this problem.

He's going to be pretty useless for antagonistic events, just standing, sitting, crying in the corner (potentially), helpless. Besides even if Ash is a strong trainer, should he have to shoulder the burden of being the only one to fight against Team Rocket for example (though at the moment yes, because whole Team Rocket Pokemon thing), but you would think it wouldn't just be up to Ash. And I don't think we're going to get gym leaders, elite four and champions in all those episodes where antagonistic events happen.

Honestly, this would be a good plot point. Not to happen over and over again mind you, but if there was some kind of an antagonistic run in where Gou realizes he isn't able to help Ash out at all and needs to work on his own skills as a trainer. As it stands with this series right now, I can't imagine any kind of serious antagonistic event happening. All we've gotten so far is very few Team Rocket encounters, and this series hasn't done much for them either, unfortunately. But I would like to see something like this happen that would turn on a switch in Gou's head, so to speak.

Also then whats wrong with Team Rocket catching wild Pokémon like those Ivisaurs at episode 3, it's illegal?
They use underhanded methods that make it almost impossible for the Pokemon to resist capture, and they do it for the sake of a bad guy. Their own Pokemon are a different story.

It's obvious that we're going to see them every now and then, with potential antics like with Pinsir and Metapod. I'd love to see Misdreavus and Stantler create more illusions, for instance. In general, it would be cool to see how Pokemon from different regions interact, which we've barely seen in Ash's case. There's nothing wrong with making Go's captures stay in the background as long as he still gets 3-6 Pokemon that have a closer bond with him and can battle when needed (Scyther has that potential, and Scorbunny is a given).

Gou's not a bad person, he defends Scorbunny and gives it a second chance, also he seems terrified when he thinks Metapod was seriously hurt during the training session with Mr. Mime.

Is he a bit of a jerk? Maybe. A lot of boys are! But he ain't a sociopath, where is that nonsense coming from anyway?

Misty could be a bit of an asshole at times but I don't think I remember anybody calling her a psychopath.

Also that scene with Gou making an evil face is probably being played for laughs, I doubt it means anything, he's just annoyed he didn't catch Dewgong on the first shot I am assuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom