• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Ash have a Kanto team?

He shouldn't because that would be too boring but then I remembered that Ash will just leave all his Pokemon except Pikachu at Oak's lab in a few years anyway so I guess it doesn't actually matter in the grand scheme of things lol.

That would be a waste (except for a Galar representative) when he has reserves that were barely used to begin with.
Same could've been said about Kanto reserves but he got a Dragonite.

I'm predicting Ash gets a mixed-region team with Kanto dominating, or maybe even a Kanto-Galar mix.

Sorry if I sound stupid here, but what does "COTD" stand for? I'm still fairly new here, so I don't know terminology like this.

It stands for character of the day. They're basically characters that just show up once. Sometimes they'll come back, but they're usually just a one and done deal.

I’m getting more and more convinced that Ash's going to get a Kanto and Galar team with a possibly 50-50 composition...

My prediction:
Pikachu
Mr. Mime
Dragonite
Corviknight
Rillaboom/Inteleon
[Insert Kanto Starter Here]

Or maybe Mr. Mime gets rotated out in favour of a Kanto starter leaving the sixth slot for a wildcard/another Galar Pokémon (which I'd prefer rather than Mr. Mime being a full time member).

My personal prediction:

Pikachu
Dragonite
Lucario
Inteleon
Uh, Tyranitar? maybe
<Insert one/two other mons here>

That's all I've thought of, at least for now.

I personally don't see Mr Mime becoming part of Ash's main team - at the same time, he can choose to use Mr. Mime sparingly, whenever he needs a different kind of Pokemon, depending on the circumstances.

There's also this post here.

View: https://twitter.com/R0h_Martins/status/1221574093444730888

It actually makes want to see Ash get a Riolu/Lucario even more now.
If anyone wants to know where they got said image, check the replies to the tweet, there's a link there.

Last edited:
As much as I want Ash to capture Grookey or some other Galar Pokemon, I'd be absolutely thrilled if he catches a Riolu. I know people think that Lucario is overexposed already, which is fair, but Ash potentially capturing a Riolu and evolving it into Lucario would make me so happy.

As much as I want Ash to capture Grookey or some other Galar Pokemon, I'd be absolutely thrilled if he catches a Riolu. I know people think that Lucario is overexposed already, which is fair, but Ash potentially capturing a Riolu and evolving it into Lucario would make me so happy.
Lucario's definitely overexposed, but it's a Pokémon I recall being highly requested for Ash in the past and him being slightly Aura sensitive (though I doubt they'll mention that with the current low continuity) makes it fit him.

Lucario's definitely overexposed, but it's a Pokémon I recall being highly requested for Ash in the past and him being slightly Aura sensitive (though I doubt they'll mention that with the current low continuity) makes it fit him.

I think that Lucario has been featured in every series since DP by at least one character. Granted, it was used by a couple of Gym Leaders, so they'd have to include it in their teams, but they even gave Professor Kukui a Lucario to feature it in the tail end of SM. That may not make it more likely for Ash to capture a Riolu, but they'll probably find some way to feature Lucario in PM at some point. It would be cool if they brought up Ash being aura sensitive, but that does seem pretty unlikely right now.

I'm also confused at Dragonite's capture at this point of the series. Did Ash captured it because...
-They needed a Poke-Ride?
-The producers want to give him the Pokemon Go is too "noob" to realistically caught?
-The producers want to give him powerhouses, in contrast with his SM team which 90% of the time was a pet squad? Maybe that will make rotation easier than in BW because Ash will have to train them less?

I'm worried about his potential lack of Galar mons, but I doubt all of his team will be Kanto mons. It may be Ash's home region but he has had a good relationship with Pokemon from other regions, and the series is also based around the concept of honoring all generations.

-They needed a Poke-Ride?

Probably this + Dragonite being the designated flyer for this series. It's normal for Ash to capture a Flying type early in the series. Dragonite just continues that tradition.

They also don't like to have characters having the same Pokemon at the same time, so Dragonite serves as a suitable substitute for Charizard (they're both orange dragons from KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) in order to avoid overlap with Leon's Charizard.

Last edited:
I don't really see Ash catching low-level, unevolved Pokemon in this series. They would be too weak to for the new un-nerfed Ash. He had to give up Charizard in jhoto just to make his new jhoto starters relevant. Between a death Pikachu, an unusually overpowered Mr. Mime and a pseudo-legendary, the Galar starters would pale in comparison.

I would say that they could go to Gou, but he already has overpowered Pokemon as well. Maybe they will go to Koharu in a twist where she decides to be a trainer. Ir maybe Ash will get them and they'll just be godly powerful because the writers don't care. If Ash was going to get one, I feel like it would have happened by now.

I don't really see Ash catching low-level, unevolved Pokemon in this series. They would be too weak to for the new un-nerfed Ash. He had to give up Charizard in jhoto just to make his new jhoto starters relevant. Between a death Pikachu, an unusually overpowered Mr. Mime and a pseudo-legendary, the Galar starters would pale in comparison.

I'm not sure what you mean by a death Pikachu. I think it would be boring for Ash to only catch fully evolved Pokemon in this series. I like seeing Ash train new Pokemon to make them stronger over the course of a series. That doesn't always happen or even done effectively, but I think that it gives his Pokemon more time to potentially develop and make their growth in strength more noticeable. If all of his new Pokemon are going to be super powerful by the time he catches them, then it could be potentially boring or at least feel less earned than if he actually trains them.

Beatsy Ray said:
I would say that they could go to Gou, but he already has overpowered Pokemon as well. Maybe they will go to Koharu in a twist where she decides to be a trainer. Ir maybe Ash will get them and they'll just be godly powerful because the writers don't care. If Ash was going to get one, I feel like it would have happened by now.

If Gou can have overpowered Pokemon alongside Scorbunny, I don't see why Ash can't get one of the remaining starters alongside his overpowered Pokemon. They could potentially do something similar to the whole Chimchar Blaze ability in that one of the starters he gets is extra special or unique, but I don't know if they'd really care about whether or not it's powerful enough to keep up with the rest of his current team. The main point of giving Ash one of the starters would be for marketing purposes anyway and starters are generally most marketable in their first forms. Considering that they've only been to Galar for a couple of episodes and they wanted to use those episodes to introduce Scorbunny, I don't think that there has been much of a chance for Ash to get Grookey or Sobble by this point.

I wouldn't mind Koharu getting one of them if they actually have her start traveling with Ash and Gou, but I don't think I could see her getting two starters. I could kind of see her with a Sobble for some reason though.

Maybe Ash will try his luck again for the Kanto Championship? That would be awesome, tbh. Bringing back some of his old Pokemon, like Pidgeot and Charizard!

Count me in the God-No-Lucario camp. That Pokemon does not need any more exposure and the next 3 years are going to be so boring if we have to talk about whether he's going to get one or not. AGAIN.

Count me in the God-No-Lucario camp. That Pokemon does not need any more exposure and the next 3 years are going to be so boring if we have to talk about whether he's going to get one or not. AGAIN.

Lucario has pretty much vanished from the spotlight. It hasn't been relevant in ages.

In other news, the Shadows of Almia trademark was recently newed.

Last edited:
Lucario has pretty much vanished from the spotlight. It hasn't been relevant in ages.
Quite right too! I'm hoping some Galar 'mons are going to get their moment in the sun these next few years.

Pikachu, Mr. Mime, Dragonite, Gengar, Machamp and Riolu/Lucario? the last one breaks the Kanto team theory but it is still mostly Kanto.

They broke some usual trends and cliches in Sun & Moon so what's not to say that this series could possibly break more and change things up even further. Which they already broke one of them today.
mimkyu z is at ghost type not dark type

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom