• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I was saying that thanks to DLC it is now possible for a gen to be just the initial pair.
If they’re doing more than one regions in a generation they are not going to avoid pricing a full $60 game as a $30 DLC. And the hype that comes with a new game. New entries sell more than DLC so not all the generational content is going to be DLC, specially the remake material.

Kanto isn't some high and mighty region just because it was the original. It being the original isn't reason alone to remake it every anniversary, especially when Sinnoh represents a new milestone for Game Freak, which to be honest, celebrating a new milestone for the 25th anniversary is much more important than celebrating the beginning of the series because without the new milestone, the series wouldn't have lasted as long as it did if it wasn't for milestones like developing for a completely different system than the previous systems.
The general audience really doesn't know much about Sinnoh when compared to Kanto. They would have to pander to Sinnoh as much as they pander to Kanto.

The general audience really doesn't know much about Sinnoh when compared to Kanto. They would have to pander to Sinnoh as much as they pander to Kanto.
General, smeneral. Iconic =/= most recognizable all the time.

Kanto's Pokemon actually are the most recognizable. There's a reason why GF excessively panders to Gen 1 nostalgia.
Again, iconic stuff does not equal most recognizable. It's a fact, many mascots in the 80's and 90's are iconic, but not most recognizable. Also, milestones are much more important to beginnings than beginnings themselves. Because beginning something is a milestone in of itself, it may not be huge, but it's still a milestone nonetheless. Sinnoh is a very important milestone to Pokemon history because it was the first time when Game Freak developed on a completely new system. Heck, it's even more fitting than ever to have a Sinnoh remake in Gen 8 because Sw/Sh are also important milestones with a similar scenario that happened with D/P.

Last edited:
See, now I'm thinking that because of the expansions coming out for Sword & Shield, we'll get remakes of Diamond & Pearl in Spring of 2021. Which would be nice. Would love to see another Spring release for a main series Pokemon game.

Again, iconic stuff does not equal most recognizable. It's a fact, many mascots in the 80's and 90's are iconic, but not most recognizable. Also, milestones are much more important to beginnings than beginnings themselves. Because beginning something is a milestone in of itself, it may not be huge, but it's still a milestone nonetheless. Sinnoh is a very important milestone to Pokemon history because it was the first time when Game Freak developed on a completely new system. Heck, it's even more fitting than ever to have a Sinnoh remake in Gen 8 because Sw/Sh are also important milestones with a similar scenario that happened with D/P.
It would pretty much be a game only for the hardcore fanbase, as many casuals and non-Pokemon players have never heard of Sinnoh and its Pokemon. Releasing such a game during an anniversary year as big as the 25th is a very bad idea.

i agree that the kantonian pokemon are more recognizable by casuals or non-fans. but sun and moon were released on the 20th anniversary so i dont really see the issue. kanto was just honored by releasing the gen 1 games on the nintendo eshop...? (sorry if im wrong). and they didnt do anything special for the 15th year.
New gens get different treatment because they get more sales than anything else Pokemon related.

It would pretty much be a game only for the hardcore fanbase, as many casuals and non-Pokemon players have never heard of Sinnoh and its Pokemon. Releasing such a game during an anniversary year as big as the 25th is a very bad idea.
Releasing a Kanto game in a span of 3 years is not a good idea. The casual base is already playing Let's Go. They wouldn’t buy another game with the same region, and plot.

And being less recognisable than Kanto doesn’t mean no remake-going by that logic ORAS would've never happened. And if you’d bother reading the responses people have given earlier this argument has already been debunked.

At this rate all Pokemon will do is celebrate anniversaries: the 20th Anniversary has been celebrated for 2 years now with various nods to Kanto. And then we’re going to another anniversary season?

It’ll be much more convenient to celebrate the anniversary of Diamond and Pearl.
You’re also forgetting that:
1. it’ll leave Generation 8 with one game only.
2. The development of new Generations is intensive, and they’ve already gone through a hectic period for LGPE and Generation 8. Rushing into Generation 9 just after 8 is not the most feasible step for them. They need a buffer (and a less intensive game like Remakes) to keep things stable.
(And before you repeat, "I think Generation 8 will have one game only", Why would they release $60 worth of material as $30 DLC?)
I mean... Let's Go Johto won’t have a lot to differentiate itself from Kanto in a period of around 2-3 years. We'll also end up visiting Kanto again, and as much as Kanto is in currently, having games with Kanto so soon together isn’t a great decision imo.
Well... the same argument could be used to justify Kanto/Johto over literally any remake (even ORAS) so...

I don't wanna see them make another game set in Kanto until they pull that stick out of their rears and actually alter the damned region so I'm not playing through the same map for the 435th time through the same story. Sequels, at LEAST. If they gonna drag me back to Kanto there better be some shiny new things for me to look at and experience. Couldn't even be arsed to add the sevii islands into the Let's Go games and instead brought us back to the Gameboy world when they already put us back there with the release of the games on teh 3DS. The fandom will not burn itself down if you change the layout of the old regions a bit so they're not all front doors must face south grid based regions.

(And if there are fans that WOULD set themselves ablaze over something like that... I'll just be over here roasting hotdogs and marshmallows over their charred, salty remains. :p)

I want to see a remake of Diamond/Pearl (with parts of Platinum too) so badly. It's been the hardest generation for me to get into. I used to be able to say the same for Ruby/Sapphire before ORAS changed everything. I want that same experience with Sinnoh. Plus I want an excuse to make an underground base house for my character. I like doing that. We need more secret base things in the games. I want that just as much as I want following pokemon to become a permanent addition. Also I kind of want them to just make Glameow in both versions. Because hell if that's not one of the rarest pokemon.

I want to see a remake of Diamond/Pearl (with parts of Platinum too) so badly. It's been the hardest generation for me to get into. I used to be able to say the same for Ruby/Sapphire before ORAS changed everything. I want that same experience with Sinnoh. Plus I want an excuse to make an underground base house for my character. I like doing that. We need more secret base things in the games. I want that just as much as I want following pokemon to become a permanent addition. Also I kind of want them to just make Glameow in both versions. Because hell if that's not one of the rarest pokemon.
I do feel it's possible that they add Platinum elements, since unlike with RBG or RS, the elements in Platinum are not that obtrussive in my opinion, and the problematic parts in the story can be changed so that they only apply to Dialga or Palkia instead of both/Giratina. Also, they could do extra sidequests for Giratina and the Mythicals.

I don't wanna see them make another game set in Kanto until they pull that stick out of their rears and actually alter the damned region so I'm not playing through the same map for the 435th time through the same story. Sequels, at LEAST. If they gonna drag me back to Kanto there better be some shiny new things for me to look at and experience. Couldn't even be arsed to add the sevii islands into the Let's Go games and instead brought us back to the Gameboy world when they already put us back there with the release of the games on teh 3DS. The fandom will not burn itself down if you change the layout of the old regions a bit so they're not all front doors must face south grid based regions.

I agree with you and I want those changes you wrote about but the thing is, with LGPE, they already made it ridiculously easy for there to be something new and shiny. Held Items, abilities, cross-gen evolutions.

So, something I noticed with the Curry minigame is that the second part of it actually plays like the Poffin minigame from the Gen 4 games (except for the controls, obviously): Both have you stir not too much but just enough. They are similar enough for them to work as an updated version of Poffins.

By this logic, GF should stop making new regions.
Also, Gen 7 was released on the 20th anniversary.

By this logic, GF should stop making new regions.
Also, Gen 7 was released on the 20th anniversary.
I do think that it makes good business sense to release a new gen in a big anniversary year because new gens sell more than any other Pokemon game.

I do think that it makes good business sense to release a new gen in a big anniversary year because new gens sell more than any other Pokemon game.
And what do they do when their schedule doesn’t allow that? Sword and Shield received 3 complete years of development and it still wasn’t enough to put in all the Pokemon, or make all the additions they wanted to.
A remake takes less resources and justifies the higher $60 tag, and releasing a brand new bunch of Pokémon before the public has had time to adjust to the Galar bunch (and market them plus sell merch) leads to saturation.

And they've literally just ended the 20th anniversary celebrations (almost the entire 7th Generation). Going by your logic they’ll constantly be celebrating the 20th, 25th, 30th, 35th anniversary and so on, and all we'd get is new generations and Kanto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom