• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

More new sync pairs in Pokémon Masters

It’s so confusing. Is Rosa’s rival Hugh? Is Cheren’s closest friend Hilbert? Why did Masters think Brendan is more a child for Norman?
Like I said, they are blank slates. No playable character in Pokémon has any personality whatsoever outside of how you want to picture them, so one character fitting in one role or another is more out of preference or whatever they wanted to do with them than anything. There's also the fact that outside of the Kanto games, there has not been a canon protagonist.

In other words, they are free to do whatever they want.

They seem to be assuming that the boys are the canon protagonists, just like in Generations. At least this is the case for Red, Brendan, Hilbert and Calem. I don't know what Ethan says, but Kris and Lyra aren't that into battling (Kris did meet Suicune, though).

They seem to be assuming that the boys are the canon protagonists, just like in Generations. At least this is the case for Red, Brendan, Hilbert and Calem. I don't know what Ethan says, but Kris and Lyra aren't that into battling (Kris did meet Suicune, though).
Didn't Lyra say she battled Red, according to a screenshot I found? That would make her the canon-to-Pasio Johto protagonist.

EDIT: I realized that there was a missed opportunity in HGSS: Have it read a FireRed/LeafGreen save in the slot 2, so that Red would be named whatever you name him in your save file (or replace him with Leaf in case you played as her). Then again, considering that something like that ended up causing various glitches in the Harvest Moon DS games, maybe it was for the best.

Last edited:
I only remember her comparing the player to Red.

Both Ethan and Lyra's sync stories are terrible compared to Kris', but then good sync stories are very rare.

I only remember her comparing the player to Red.

Both Ethan and Lyra's sync stories are terrible compared to Kris', but then good sync stories are very rare.
Weird, the post I was going to quote removed the info about Lyra, only leaving my reaction to it. I guess they retconned that and now made Ethan the "canon" character? I'm confused now.

I don't know what you think she said, but I doubt there was a retcon. I just assume that Ethan is the protagonist because I haven't seen either Johto girl talk about the badge quest, Team Rocket or Silver. It's possible that Ethan isn't any different, though.

I don't know what you think she said, but I doubt there was a retcon. I just assume that Ethan is the protagonist because I haven't seen either Johto girl talk about the badge quest, Team Rocket or Silver. It's possible that Ethan isn't any different, though.
She just said that she faced Red, not anything else that I could remember, but because the post that contained the Tweet with the pics got edited as Masters got updated, I can't see it anymore. Like I said, only my reaction remained.

If that is the case, why not have May be Norman’s kid?

She just said that she faced Red, not anything else that I could remember, but because the post that contained the Tweet with the pics got edited as Masters got updated, I can't see it anymore. Like I said, only my reaction remained.
This is the only thing I can find, and it merely implies that she thinks the player knows Red. If I remember correctly, she adds that the player reminds her of Red, but that hardly means that she met the latter as he's obviously famous.

Your link reminds me that she does reference her Marill, so that alone implies that she isn't the protagonist. She might also say that she's related to the Day Care couple judging from that post, although the wording is weird ("Ethan isn't related").

I think I know why they chose Brendan instead of May. It stereotyped that boys were more into video games according to another thread I posted.

There is no canonicity.

Hoopa and his hoops can do as it pleases and it can summon whatever version of a character it pleases.

Basically, don't worry about it.

I didn't even know there was another thread about canonical.

Also, what makes Brendan not a Birch (like in the Anime probably).

I would just like to add that Brendan is the son of Norman in Masters, implying he is the protagonist, and he has Sceptile, which would imply that his rival May would have Blaziken. Buuuuuut, they gave the player character Torchic instead. So... Who knows?

A similar problem will pop up if they ever add Dawn and Lucas, since Barry has Empoleon and then they gave Infernape to Flint instead of a possible protagonist.

This is the only thing I can find, and it merely implies that she thinks the player knows Red. If I remember correctly, she adds that the player reminds her of Red, but that hardly means that she met the latter as he's obviously famous.

Your link reminds me that she does reference her Marill, so that alone implies that she isn't the protagonist. She might also say that she's related to the Day Care couple judging from that post, although the wording is weird ("Ethan isn't related").
Well, like I said, the OP was edited when Masters got updated, which is kinda frustrating to me since I swear I saw her mentioning battling Red. Doesn't help that Web Archive does not have the thread archived, so I can't check the Tweet that was in that place. I feel like I'm going through a case of Mandela effect.

I would just like to add that Brendan is the son of Norman in Masters, implying he is the protagonist, and he has Sceptile, which would imply that his rival May would have Blaziken. Buuuuuut, they gave the player character Torchic instead. So... Who knows?

A similar problem will pop up if they ever add Dawn and Lucas, since Barry has Empoleon and then they gave Infernape to Flint instead of a possible protagonist.

May might have a Mudkip then. Also, because Dawn has a Piplup in the Anime and Barry has an Empoleon, Lucas might have a Turtwig. It’s even more confusing that they aren’t under a parent or friend of a specific relationship.

May might have a Mudkip then. Also, because Dawn has a Piplup in the Anime and Barry has an Empoleon, Lucas might have a Turtwig. It’s even more confusing that they aren’t under a parent or friend of a specific relationship.
Well my point is just that if May has Mudkip, then this game automatically cannot be Canon with the main games, since May should have the one stronger, assuming she is Birch's daughter.

Really, this shouldn't matter. It's a side-game, and shouldn't be tried to fit in too perfectly. Also, as stated above, the Hoops shenanigans can just handwave any issues that might come up.

It should be Nate in the main game. Fine! May can have a Blazekin.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom