• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Much ado about Shinies

Pink_Lady

Reaction score
I've been meaning to this since completing my Galar Pokedex a while back, but I'm working towards breeding a handful of Shiny Pokemon now. The first on my list is the Jangmo-o line and I've been hatching eggs for a good portion of the day. I am using the Masuda Method combined with the Shiny Charm, but 180 eggs later and still no luck. I know the odds are still 1/500-some even WITH both these boosts, but I was wondering if getting Shiny Pokemon is "chain-based" like it is when hunting Shiny Pokemon in the wild.
(I.E., I've accidentally bumped in a couple of wild Pokemon from the small patch of grass near the Nursery a couple of times, so will this break my potential chain and drop my odds back to 1/500+ or does that not matter with eggs if/because the values are calculated at random each time? The same goes for saving/turning off my system completely since I believe this disrupted combos in the Let's Go games.)

While I'm on the subject and as long as I have your attention: I did manage to get myself a shiny Eevee in Let's Go Pikachu with what appears to be terrific stat (I'm just not sure if its nature is any good since I'm not really an expert) but I ended up with a male when I was really hoping for a female, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to trade for a shiny female if I were to transfer it to my Shield game? (I don't even care about Nature/Stats since they've made it easy enough to modify those now, I would just really like a female)

for_tade__shiny_eevee_by_prettysoldierpetite_dd0mqea-fullview.jpg

There is no chain to getting a shiny out of an egg, each time the egg is generated it rolls your chance 1/512. So basically you pray to RNG that you get a shiny! You could even get two back to back which has happened to some people.

And grats on the Eevee I tried to search for a shiny one in Let's Go and never got the lil thing. I think you got super lucky! What nature is it?

Oh, good! Thank you, I just wasn't sure because the few other times I've done this it didn't take this long. My first was actually a shiny Bunearry for my Alpha Sapphire game and just using Masuda Method alone and it only took 150-some-odd eggs, but I know I got lucky there. My second was another Bunearry in Ultra Moon and that was my first time doing it with both Masuda and the Shiny Charm and that time it was it took somewhere like 120-130ish eggs. Immediately after, I bred a shiny PIchu and that only took 90-ish eggs, so I guess I was just having lousy luck this time around since 384 eggs later I FINALLY got my shiny Jangmo-o!
Shiny.jpg
(sorry about the picture taken with my phone, I keep getting an error on my Switch when I try to post screenshots to FB for some reason)

I do have a couple more questions, though: I noticed in the article here about Shiny Pokemon, it mentions that "children that are the opposite gender" end up being Shiny. Does this mean that if I want a shiny female Popplio I should leave a male at the Nursery? Or was this detail debunked after Gen II when the shiny mechanic changed?

My other question comes from something of a theory I've developed. Based on my own experience in games where I've encountered multiple shinies it seems that once you encounter your first random shiny Pokemon (so, the red Gyarados in G/S/C doesn't count, the event Shiny Legendary Pokemon don't count, the New Years Magikarp from a while back doesn't count, etc) you're more likely to encounter them; this first shiny encounter breaks the proverbial "shiny seal" if you will. Considering that shiny pokemon are now based on your ID number and other internal values, is there any truth to this theory, or is it just coincidence? Like, if you "lucky" numbers for a shiny come up once already are they more likely to come up again after that?

Also: in regards to my shiny Eevee from LEt's Go Pikachu, it's a Lonely Nature, apparently.

Last edited:
In generation 2 games Gold/Silver/Crystal having a shiny parent increases the odds of having a shiny offspring. These are the only three games this applies to, and it was a nice fun feature in my opinion.

Your other question, if you find a shiny are you more likely to find another one after it, would be a sad no. For a rough example in Sun and Moon let's say each second that goes by is one frame of the game. Every frame a new Pokemon can appear, and what Pokemon appears is determined by some variables like your Trainer ID, Secret ID, and the game seed. The game seed being random each time you start up the game.

So it's all predetermined what you're going to get based on the variables, it can be slightly different for eggs. When you know these variables and have some tools you can "RNG" what you're looking for. There's lots of other people that can explain it better and more in depth but I just wanted to scratch the surface for your question.

Hope I helped some. :bulbaLove:

I was asking about gender, though. It seems to imply that if the pokemon I'm breeding is female they shiny it produces will be male, but again, this is under the Gen II section, so I wasn't sure if that changed when the mechanic changed to different values than stats.

As for my "shiny seal" theory, it's not really a 'sadly' no, I was just curious since (like I said) this was based on my own experience.

I do have a couple more questions, though: I noticed in the article here about Shiny Pokemon, it mentions that "children that are the opposite gender" end up being Shiny. Does this mean that if I want a shiny female Popplio I should leave a male at the Nursery? Or was this detail debunked after Gen II when the shiny mechanic changed?
While I don't think this is true post gen II, if you are breeding in gen 7 then you might be able to obtain a shiny female Popplio through swap breeding. If you're breeding in gen 8, there's an exploit to change a Pokemon's gender (though it might be patached by now) and if I remember correctly Popplio can be transfered to SwSh via HOME.

Last edited:
While I don't this is true post gen II, if you are breeding in gen 7 then you might be able to obtain a shiny female Popplio through swap breeding. If you're breeding in gen 8, there's an exploit to change a Pokemon's gender (though it might be patached by now) and if I remember correctly Popplio can be transfered to SwSh via HOME.
Ah I forgot all about swap breeding because it's something I've never done. Thank you. :D

Okay, so if I understand this swap method correctly, what I am doing is essentially creating a box of 30 eggs and then pulling both parents to hatch all 30 eggs. Of that 30 if , say, egg #15 was female I would then breed another full 30 eggs but only hatch egg #15 of that second box And then repeating with a new box, only hatching egg #15 each time?

also, is there any reason in particular this technique wouldn’t work in Sword/Shield if I’ve already transferred a Popplio via Pokémon Home, or does it have to be done in Sun/Moon?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom