• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Non-Mafia Defeat the Boss - Pokemon: Kanto

Temp threadmark: Upcoming changes
@Lone_Garurumon @Pika_pika42 @Acrobatic Crobat @CheffOfGames

I still have to formally type this up, but here's what is going to be happening.

First is experience. As you may have noticed, you guys are gaining experience WAY too fast. I mean, you're at the 3rd gym and you're pushing level 50 (Rio is level 46). I don't plan to take any experience or levels away from you, but I do plan to significantly reduce your experience intake. At the moment, I'm thinking of dividing the experience gains on the info site by 4.

Stats. New stats are coming into play. Each pokemon is going to be receiving a speed stat. Except for priority changing moves, pokemon will now move based on speed. This speed stat will come from that pokemon's base speed stat on bulbapedia.
Moves are going to be getting an accuracy stat. A pokemon's accuracy stat will be used as a modifier (And will usually be temporary). This means both your moves and the opponents moves have a chance to miss unless they have an accuracy of 100.

Champion class. It's been in the opening post for a while, but it's not really defined. A champion class pokemon is a pokemon with a lot of special modifiers, some might even class as unfair. A champion pokemon has a chance (Depending on speed stat) to move more than once per turn, and may have other modifiers that fall outside the realm of normal battle rules. They also have the same damage enhancing and reduction traits as elites.
Don't worry, you will rarely see them. Right now, the only guaranteed place to find champions is as the boss in Eevee's house of madness.

Your teams have each been expanded to 6 pokemon. Choose carefully though, as enemy maximum team sizes are determined based on your team size. Minimum max enemy team size is 12, so you won't benefit from having just one pokemon each... but they can go as high as 24 pokemon
Note that this is the MAXIMUM number of pokemon an enemy team may have... and most enemy teams won't even come close to having their maximum number of pokemon.
You also need to take HMs into account. They are required to traverse Kanto, and you cannot cross a water route without a pokemon that knows surf (example). (HMs also cannot be forgotten except at a move deleter, and cannot be traded (See below))

Pokemon on routes. Previously, I was pretty open with what pokemon appear on routes. Due to the game change I will list as the bottom of this post, the pokemon on your routes have changed and are a lot stricter.

Experience boosting: Pokemon below a certain level will receive boosted experience. Right now I'm thinking pokemon more than 10 levels below your average level pokemon will receive 4x experience (current rates)

Cross game stuff.
LG has known about this for a while, but I intend to start a second DtB very shortly. This game will take place in Galar, and will revolve around dynamaxing pokemon. (While yours takes place in Kanto and revolves around Mega Pokemon)
But these games are not isolated. You will be able to trade pokemon cross games, and even battle with the other games' players. (All Pokemon will be set to level 50 for cross-game battles, and there may be rewards involved)
I haven't quite nailed down what Pokemon you will find in each of the games, but it may be necessary to trade between games for certain pokemon.

I have a feeling I have forgotten something, but I am open to feedback regarding all these changes. Let me know what you think.

I also promise to try to add more flavour text to battles and intermission posts.

Thank you.

EDIT: Also, would you guys like a discord server where you can discuss cross game trades, and also have private channels where you can discuss cross game battle strategy, submit moves, etc?
EDIT2: Pokemon that do not participate in a battle will get a reduced experience. I haven't nailed down how reduced yet, as I need to see what the standard XP looks like when reduced.

Last edited:
This is all sounding pretty cool, and it's great to be seeing this expanding and becoming a larger thing. Just uh, don't bite off more than you can chew, yeah? Anyway, this definitely sounds cool. Except for this.
You also need to take HMs into account. They are required to traverse Kanto, and you cannot cross a water route without a pokemon that knows surf (example).
This is disgusting and you should be ashamed.

Anyway, a proposal to my travelling companions: How would the three of you feel about loading our teams up to the maximum? I understand that this is potentially dangerous, but personally I think we can work with it. Plus he said that most fights won't even come close to the big scary number anyway, so I figure it's only big boss fights that'll get close to that number.

Pokemon on routes. Previously, I was pretty open with what pokemon appear on routes. Due to the game change I will list as the bottom of this post, the pokemon on your routes have changed and are a lot stricter.
Wait, does this mean we can't bump into random legendary Pokemon anymore?

Wait, does this mean we can't bump into random legendary Pokemon anymore?
No, that chance will still exist. But the legendary pokemon you can find is no longer wide open.

I haven't nailed it down yet, but just to use an example... This game might only have legendaries from Johto and Kanto, while the other game might have legendaries from Alola and Galar.

This is only an example though.

Also...

Plus he said that most fights won't even come close to the big scary number anyway, so I figure it's only big boss fights that'll get close to that number.
If you guys come across a Breeder with 24 baby pokemon, it's not my fault! You were warned :p

So, I won't go in depth with reactions since I need to go to work right about now, but some quick reactions.
The rule changes seem fine imo, makes it more interesting which I'm all for.
Cross game stuff seems amazing, I'd love to have more people to trade with.
I'd indeed like a discord server where we can discuss stuff, and discuss moves and maybe even see our boxed mons.
Also, please make us encounter a fisherman with 24 Magikarp, that'll be hilarious.

But as LG said, don't bite off more than you can chew. Take the time to do other stuff than this as well.

If you guys come across a Breeder with 24 baby pokemon, it's not my fault! You were warned :p
You're a monster.

So yes, I'd say Discord server would be useful.
Rule changes seem really interesting. Also, a second, simultaneous and parallel game? Cool!
But well... AE, are you absolutely sure you can manage all this? As LG and Cheff said - if you feel like it may be too much, don't force yourself.

Stats. New stats are coming into play. Each pokemon is going to be receiving a speed stat. Except for priority changing moves, pokemon will now move based on speed. This speed stat will come from that pokemon's base speed stat on bulbapedia.
So just to remind you, how do you consider doing speed ties? Random each turn like the games or differently?
So... how does this work now?

So just to remind you, how do you consider doing speed ties? Random each turn like the games or differently?
Probably the same as the game and random it each turn.

So... how does this work now?
Same as the legendary example above. It's not set in stone yet though.
No, that chance will still exist. But the legendary pokemon you can find is no longer wide open.

I haven't nailed it down yet, but just to use an example... This game might only have legendaries from Johto and Kanto, while the other game might have legendaries from Alola and Galar.

This is only an example though.

You're a monster.
Oh, I totally am. But you knew that. :p

That said, I'm not the one that suggested this...
Also, please make us encounter a fisherman with 24 Magikarp, that'll be hilarious.
:p

The rules change and cross-over game sounds really interesting. But I would like the variety of Pokémon to stay as it could get boring with only Kanto and Johto Pokémon.
A discord server sounds really nice and would be good help to discuss things.

Also, as others mentioned, take care and don't over stress yourself with too many things at one point. I'm sure whatever you will do would be fun and interesting, just do it at your own pace. :giggle:

Thanks guys.

I'll get the Discord server set up next week, and I'll get the changes done, both the rules post and the character stats file. Expect the game to - hopefully - start back up the first week of March.

Not sure when the second game will start, as I want to make sure I can handle it without overloading myself. I do know that I am planning to do 1-2 updates a week. More updates will happen if I have time and energy, of course. Right now the aim is to get both games updated at the same time. This game takes me about half an hour per update, so I should be able to get both done in an hour.

Defeat the Boss Discord Server
Our buddy Acrobatic Crobat won the Pokémon Wiz: Mystery Dungeon Edition! Hooray! Congratulations. :D :bulbaLove:
Congrats, @Acrobatic Crobat.

If you guys are wondering, yes I'm still working on the revamp for DtB and I hope to be starting this up again very very very very (plus a few verys) soon.

The return!
What's this? No, you're not imagining it, my friends! Defeet the Boss has returned!... Hold on, What? *looks at notes* Defeat, not defeet? *corrects it*

Indeed, it's been... what? two months now. Between health issues, and other work, it's been slow but I believe DtB is ready to return. I admit that there is still some things that need to be done, such as converting your pokemon over to the new format and stat system but I have decided that I can do that as they are sent out. So for a short while, you may have pokemon in the old system but I'll update those as soon as possible or as needed.

I promise you that I've probably forgotten something important, so feel free to poke me if I've missed something.

What do you mean we're not trying to defeet the boss?

Weather: None
Active Effects:

Party
@Lone_Garurumon (4/6): (Walking: Rio)
@Pika_pika42 (4/6): (Walking: Pika)
@Acrobatic Crobat (4/6): (Walking: Click)
@CheffOfGames (4/6): (Walking: Coeus)

Ally - None
None

Enemy - None

TM03 Scald
TM09 Bullet Seed
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM43 Secret Power
TM45 Attract
HM05 Flash
Boulder Badge
Cascade Badge
This is XP that Snowy has not yet applied to the boxed Pokemon. It will be applied on request or when the Pokemon is withdrawn from the box.
Bensen: ‭1800‬xp
Flyer: ‭5412‬xp
Einstein: 1800xp
Gesundheit: ‭4512‬xp
Fafnir: 5412‬xp
Redguard: 4700xp
Nagini: 1800xp
Moltres: - (Cannot gain experience while boxed)
Bell: 4700xp
(Please note that evolution families count as one)
Riolu
Shinx
Eevee
Pikachu
Caterpie
Mankey
Zubat
Meowth
Abra
Ralts
Dratini
Weedle
Pidgey
Rattata
Magikarp
Shroomish
Moltres
Bellsprout
Drowzee
Ekans
Grookey
Scorbunny
Sobble
Rookidee

@Lone_Garurumon
6x Pokeball
9x Potion
10x Super Potion
1x Nugget
1x Pecha Berry (Cures poisoning. Can be held)
1x Ether
1x Ice Heal
3x rare candy
$14,900
20BP

448MS.png
Rio (Female Lucario - Fighting/Steel)
Base: HP: 9/120, Defense: 30%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, evasion: +0, speed: 90
Level: 46, Experience: 150/1,325, Friendship: 255/255
Ability: Inner Focus (Prevents flinching to most moves)
Held: None

Metronome
Power: - PP: 10/10 Type: Normal Accuracy: -%
Action: Uses random move

Rock Tomb
Power: 60 PP: 13/15 Type: Rock Accuracy: 95%
Action: -

Aura Sphere
Power: 80 PP: 13/20 Type: Fighting Accuracy: -%
Action: Bypasses accuracy checks

Metal Sound
Power: - PP: 37/40 Type: Status Accuracy: 85%
Action: Lowers target's defense by 2 stages. Does not affect pokemon with Soundproof

405MS.png
Squall (Female Luxray - Electric)
Base: HP: 10/102, Defense: 20%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, evasion: +0, speed: 70
Level: 46, Experience: 425/1325, Friendship: 255/255
Ability: Rivalry (Powers up moves by 25% if the target is the same gender, but reduces by 25% if opposite genders)

Headbutt: Power 70 PP 14/15 (Normal - 30% chance of causing the target to flinch. Usable outside of battle)
Crunch: Power 80 PP 15/15 (Dark - 20% chance of lowering targets defence)
Spark: Power 65 PP 18/20 (Electric - 30% chance to paralyze)
Baby Doll Eyes: PP 30/30 (Status - Lowers target attack by 10%)

133MS.png
Henry (Male Eevee - Normal)
Base: HP: 7/88 Defense: 20%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, Level: 43, Experience: 1125/1175, Friendship: 190/255
Ability: Run Away (Increases chance to run away)

Take Down: Power 90 PP 20/20 (Normal - User takes 25% recoil damage (Of damage done to target))
Quick Attack: Power 40 PP 30/30 (Normal - Priority +1)
Helping Hand: PP 11/20 (Status - Boosts base attack of target team member by 50%. +1 priority move)
Bite: Power 60 PP 20/25 (Dark - 30% chance to make the target flinch)

Onion (Male Sobble - Water)
Base: HP: 18/18, Defense: 20%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, Level: 5, Experience: 0/300, Friendship: 0/255
Ability: Torrent

Pound: Power 40 PP 35/35 (Normal)
Growl: PP 40/40 (Status)
@Pika_pika42
2x Pokeball
1x Great Ball
10x Potion
10x Super Potion
3x Antidote
1x Paralyz Heal
2x Burn Heal
3x Rare Candy
1x Moon Stone
1x Sitrus Berry
1x Question Card (Can ask the host one yes/no question about an upcoming encounter)
$20,050
20BP

025MS.png
Pika (Male Pikachu - Electric)
Base: HP: 12/102, Defense: 20%, Attack: 100% , accuracy: +0, Level:47, Experience: 1175/1350, Friendship: 255/255
Ability: Static (If this pokemon is hit by a move that makes contact, there is a 30% chance to paralyze the attacker)

Thunder Wave: PP 20/20 (Status - Paralyses the opponent)
Thunderbolt: Power 90 PP 4/15 (Electric - 10% chance to paralyse target)
Quick Attack: power 40 PP 29/30 (Normal. Priority: +1. 50% chance to attack twice)
Electro Ball: Power 40 PP 6/10 (Electric)

012MS.png
Megapod (Male Butterfree - Bug/Flying)
Base: HP: 56/57, Defense: 10%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, Level: 53, Experience: 237/1275, Friendship: 255/255
Ability: Compound Eyes (30% is added to this pokemon’s accuracy)

Sleep Powder: PP 15/15 (Grass - Puts target to sleep)
Bug Buzz: Power 90 PP 10/10 (Bug - 10% chance to lower target defense)
Psybeam: Power 65 PP 20/20 (Psychic - 10% chance to confuse target)
Air Slash: Power 75 PP 13/15 (Flying - 30% chance to cause the target to flinch)

057MS.png
Monk (Male Primeape - Fighting)
Base: HP: 4/100, Defense: 20%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, Level: 46, Experience: 650/1325, Friendship: 255/255
Ability: Vital Spirit (Prevents sleep)

Close Combat: PP 4/5 Power 120 (Fighting - Lowers defense by one stage)
Cross Chop: Power 100 PP 4/5 (Fighting - Deals double base damage)
Low Kick: PP 17/20 (Fighting - Deals damage based on the target’s weight. Has a 30% chance to cause flinching)
Assurance: Power 60 PP 5/10 (Dark - Deals double base damage if the target has already taken damage this turn)

0.1-9.9kg = power 20
10.0-24.9kg =power 40
25-49.9kg = power 60
50.0-99.99kg = power 80
100.0-199.9 = power 100
200kg or more = power 120

Mojo Jojo (Male Grookey - Grass)
Base: HP: 18/18, Defense: 20%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, Level: 5, Experience: 0/300, Friendship: 0/255
Ability: Overgrow

Scratch: Power 40 PP 35/35 (Normal)
@Acrobatic Crobat
7x Pokeball
0x Great Ball
6x Potion
6x Antidotes
1x Leaf Stone
1x Burn Heal
1x Nugget
1x Oran Berry
1x Rare Candy
Dome Fossil
$17,250
20BP

169MS.png
Click (Female Crobat - Poison/Flying)
Base: HP: 34/98, Defense: 20%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, Level: 45, Experience: 950/1300, Friendship: 255/255
Ability: Inner Focus (Prevents Flinching)

Cross Poison: power 70 PP 18/20 (Poison - 10% chance to point target)
Confuse Ray: PP 10/10 (Status - Attempts to confuse target)
Air Cutter: Power 60 PP 19/25 (Flying - Hits all opponents)
Leech Life: Power 80 PP 5/10 (Bug - Heals the user for up to 50% of the damage dealt)

052AMS.png
Setzer (Male Meowth - Dark)
Base: HP: 80/80, Defense: 20%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, Level: 37, Experience: 350/1075, Friendship: 55/255 OT: CheffOfGames
Ability:
Held:

Night Slash: Power 70 PP 15/15 (Dark)
Bite: Power 60 PP 25/25 (Dark - 30% chance to make the target flinch)
Fury Swipes: Power 18 PP 15/15 (Normal - Hits for 2-5 strikes)
Pay Day: Power 40 PP 20/20 (Normal - Scatters coins equal to the users level for the user to pick up after battle)

Esper (Female Alakazam - Psychic)
Base: HP: 50/80, Defense: 20%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, Level: 36, Experience: 150/1050, Friendship: 85/255
Ability: Synchronize (If targeted by a status condition move, the attacker is also affected (unless immune))

Reflect: PP 14/20 (Status - Halves the damage from physical attacks for any party member for 5 turns)
Kinesis: PP 11/15 (Status - Decreases target accuracy by one stage)
Psycho Cut: PP 12/20 Power 70 (Psychic)
Recover PP 10/10 (Status - Restores up to 50% of max hp)

Stymphalia (Female Rookidee - Flying)
Ability: Keen Eye

Peck: Power 35 PP 35/35 (Normal)
Leer: PP 30/30 (Status)
@CheffOfGames
7x Pokeball
5x Super Potion
2x Antidote
1x Paralyse Heal
1x Awakening
2x Burn Heal
2x Rare Candy
3x Potion

$4,300
20BP
282MS.png
Coeus (Male Gardevoir - Psychic/Fairy)
Base: HP: 4/92, Defense: 20%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, Level: 42, Experience: 550/1200, Friendship: 125/255
Ability: Trace (On entering battle, copies the ability of a random opponent.) (Current: Pressure)
Held: Oran Berry

Psychic: Power 90 PP 9/10 (Psychic - 10% chance to lower targets attack)
Calm Mind: PP 19/20 (Status - Raises users attack and defense by one stage)
Teleport: PP 19/20 (Status - In battle: Switch out. Out of battle: Return to last Pokemon Centre used)
Heal Pulse: PP 8/10 (Status - Restores up to 50% of the targets max HP. Always hits unless target is semi-invulnerable. Cannot self-target)

057MS.png
Beat (Male Primeape - Fighting)
Base: HP: 4/94, Defense: 20%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, Level: 43,
Experience 425/1250, Friendship: 240/255 OT: Lone_Garurumon
Ability: Vital Spirit (Prevents sleep)

Covet: power 60 PP 25/25 (Normal - Steals held item)
Karate Chop: Power 50 PP 22/25 (Fighting)
Assurance: Power 60 PP 9/10 (Dark - Deals double damage if the target has already been damaged this turn)
Rock Tomb: Power 60 PP 12/15 (Rock)

148MS.png
Vi (Female Dragonair - Dragon)
Base: HP: 3/126, Defense: 40%, Attack: 100%, accuracy: +0, Level: 38, Experience: 1311/1675, Friendship: 20/255. OT: Acrobatic Crobat
Ability: Shed Skin
Held:

Hidden Power: Power 60 PP 15/15 (Normal)
Dragon Tail: Power 60 PP 4/10 (Dragon - Switches out the target pokemon. -1 Priority)
Thunder Wave: PP 18/20
Rest: PP 8/10 (Status - Sleep for 2 turns, restoring HP)

Axel (Male Scorbunny - Fire)
Ability: Blaze

Tackle: Power 40 PP 35/35 (Normal)

Kanto_Vermilion_City_Map.png

Weather: Clear
Time: Day

Choices:
1. Return to Route 6
2. Challenge Eevee's house of madness
3. Challenge the gym (Requires cut)
4. Visit Pokemon centre