• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN014: First in the Isshu Region! The Raid Battle at the Ruins!!

I'm starting to wonder if the Unova region itself has some sort of power that drains intelligence out of Ash and Pikachu's skulls whenever they visits it?
At least it's consistent.
...does that means when they go to Kalos Ash is gonna be hyper competent?

What do you know, the CotD’s were actually kinda neat this time around and had more than one pokemon each. That’s an itch SM would rarely ever scratch.

Go catching that Darmanitan... damn, they weren’t even trying with this one. Quick, effortless, and of course the thing listens immediately.

As a fan of Golurk and the Litwick line, their performances made me pretty satisfied (Golurk’sPokepark 2 cannon form and the candles’ gorgeous fire animation helped), but I’m sad that the big guy ended up with the guy that called out the least moves against it. Oh well...

Nice to see Dragonite battling, even if that rules out the “too sweet to fight” development I was hoping for. Nonetheless, I love this big blubber, so no complaints about it (only that underwhelming Hurricane animation... remember Skylla’s Swanna?)

Thunderbolt on ground types... I guess some things never change.

Overall, solid and fun, nothing spectacular.

Well, since Gou gets Golurk, I guess that means that Ash has a better chance of catching Gengar in episode 16.

Well, since Gou gets Golurk, I guess that means that Ash has a better chance of catching Gengar in episode 16.
I think that also means Gou will have a better chance at it too.
His Darmanitan and Golurk are pretty strong after all.

I like the idea of Karabari being a collector of Shiny Pokemon, was rather disappointed we only saw Psyduck outside of images

He's one character I wouldn't mind seeing again if we got to see more Shiny Pokemon
I will say about this series, I like how it kind of represents not only the games, but also the people that play them. Go represents the living dex players, Ash represents the competitive players aiming for the world championships, and now the Shiny guy who's essentially a shiny hunter

Fantastic episode for GO caught Cofagrigus Sandile and Golurk especially the raid battle allowing the researcher or excavation group to get rich. It really very shamed now that the stream live site is no longer available and had to scrumping anyone that have the guts to live stream on Youtube now.

Overall rating: B+
He didn’t catch a cofagrigus he caught a darmanitan though

Hate that Go upgraded from being a screenhog to being a glory hog. He didn't deserve Golurk, nor did he need it. He'd already gotten Sandile and Darmanitan. I swear how can people like this terrible piece of shit of a character? He's awful
The shiny collector is cool though, I hope they bring him back. And use more than just Psyduck, I'd love to see more of those shiny Pokemon. Ones he's shown to have and ones we haven't seen yet.

Also, will we ever see Ash's Pokedex?

3/10, the girl should have gotten Golurk. Weekly reminder that Go is the worst

Hate that Go upgraded from being a screenhog to being a glory hog. He didn't deserve Golurk, nor did he need it. He'd already gotten Sandile and Darmanitan. I swear how can people like this terrible piece of shit of a character? He's awful
The shiny collector is cool though, I hope they bring him back. And use more than just Psyduck, I'd love to see more of those shiny Pokemon. Ones he's shown to have and ones we haven't seen yet.

Also, will we ever see Ash's Pokedex?

3/10, the girl should have gotten Golurk. Weekly reminder that Go is the worst
Are we gonna keep forgetting that Go's goal is to catch them all? If he didn't catch a Golurk now he'll catch one later. This isn't a matter of deserving, especially when Go did contribute to fight.

Are we gonna keep forgetting that Go's goal is to catch them all? If he didn't catch a Golurk now he'll catch one later. This isn't a matter of deserving, especially when Go did contribute to fight.
It's not about Gou just catching Golurk, it's how that catch happened. If Gou had fought using Darmanitan from the start and continued to put a decent amount of effort then it would have been a deserved capture.

But as it stands, he did far less than any of the CotDs (not need to bother comparing to Ash and his Pokemon, who did most of the heavy lifting) while jumping in at the last moment and throwing his Gary Stu approved Pokeballs... even Darmanitan's capture was pretty undeserved due to the usual 1-ball catch, only this time it was a powerful Pokemon. On top of that (as mentioned several times) those Pokemon had absolutely no issues with being captured by Gou but then again they have no personalities or character whatsoever... guess that's the curse of Gou.

Last edited:
It's not about Gou just catching Golurk, it's how that catch happened. If Gou had fought using Darmanitan from the start and continued to put a decent amount of effort then it would have been a deserved capture.

But as it stands, he did far less than any of the CotDs (much less even comparing to Ash and his Pokemon, who did most of the heavy lifting) while jumping in at the last moment and throwing his Gary Stu approved Pokeballs... even Darmanitan's capture was pretty undeserved due to the usual 1-ball catch, only this time it was a powerful Pokemon. On top of that (as mentioned several times) those Pokemon had absolutely no issues with being captured by Gou but then again they have no personalities or character whatsoever... guess that's the curse of Gou.
I brought this up before but They literally don't have enough episode to develop every pokemon Go catches if he plans to catch them all, that's way too many. Plus we've seen many 1 ball captures from people in the past mind you. Sure either they willingly tag along or battle them first, but it still took one ball. I know we're used to characters catching pokemon as a way to add cast memebers, but for Go he's not building a team, he's making a literal collection. So again it's not a matter of deserving. Heck it's the same in the games. If you want something, you catch it.

Siiiiiiiiigh.

Another week, another round of complaints about Go. Guess that’s the way it’ll be for the next three years, because it doesn’t seem like it’ll be stoping anytime soon. Maybe I shouldn’t come on every week anymore.

Anyways, I can’t say this episode was as good as episodes 10-13, but it was MILES ahead of the mediocrity that was episodes 3-9 (excluding 7). My only two points of contention are Pikachu trying to shock Ground-types (twice) and Go catching Darmanitan without doing anything.

Other than that, it was a really fun episode. The animation was superb, the Indiana Jones-style comedy was hilarious, the CoTDs were all very enjoyable, and the Raid Battle was pretty good. Also, we saw Golurk turn into a cannon for the first time since PokéPark 2; I’ve always wanted that to happen again!

If I am to enter the debate around Go’s captures, though, the only one I found legit off-putting was Darmanitan. Imo, the rule of thumb should be that Go should catch most weaker Pokémon without effort and battle most powerful Pokémon to catch them; I would’ve been happier if he’d fought Darmanitan and insta-caught Sandile, rather than the other way around.

I will say about this series, I like how it kind of represents not only the games, but also the people that play them. Go represents the living dex players, Ash represents the competitive players aiming for the world championships, and now the Shiny guy who's essentially a shiny hunter
I can't wait for the perfectionist breeder with a whole farm of Pokemon of the same species.

A fire type that doesn't know any fire type moves after 14 episodes, and I don't see the trainer bothering to train it anytime soon.
And with strong Pokemons like Darmanitan and Golurk being added to his asset, I can't see that certain Trainer trying to train his Pokemons or improve his battling skill anytime soon.

Damn why they gotta do Ash dirty by having him forget that Ground types are immune to Electric attacks? Or did he think that he could pull off some bullshit type immunity negation like he did against Mudsdale in SuMo?

Despite how salty others are about Go getting Golurk, I don't see anything either bad or good about it. Golurk is awful to look at so I kinda wish nobody had gotten it, but at least Ash didn't get that monstrosity.

Damn why they gotta do Ash dirty by having him forget that Ground types are immune to Electric attacks? Or did he think that he could pull off some bullshit type immunity negation like he did against Mudsdale in SuMo?

Despite how salty others are about Go getting Golurk, I don't see anything either bad or good about it. Golurk is awful to look at so I kinda wish nobody had gotten it, but at least Ash didn't get that monstrosity.
Again I think he more so forgot Golurk was Ground type, rather than forgot the immunity

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom