• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Wait,Was there a Steven Universe "theme" in Gen7??
1583072564454.png

Yeah, the person who made that is just joking. The costume don't really correlate to the starters at all (the one on the left is a falcon, not an owl, and doesn't have anything to do with archery, and the one on the right has nothing to do with water), and they're relatively obscure considering the show's canon- only Tiger Millionaire has ever appeared more than once. Also, the falcon costume and the outfit Steven wore to sing I'm a Star both debuted in 2015, with the latter only appearing in September. (Which is still a good amount of time before the starters were even leaked, but it'd be weird to wait until Sept 2015 to finish a starter design when the games were coming out a year later)

Yeah, the person who made that is just joking. The costume don't really correlate to the starters at all (the one on the left is a falcon, not an owl, and doesn't have anything to do with archery, and the one on the right has nothing to do with water), and they're relatively obscure considering the show's canon- only Tiger Millionaire has ever appeared more than once. Also, the falcon costume and the outfit Steven wore to sing I'm a Star both debuted in 2015, with the latter only appearing in September. (Which is still a good amount of time before the starters were even leaked, but it'd be weird to wait until Sept 2015 to finish a starter design when the games were coming out a year later)
That was just a joke that people made at the time and I just brought back. I never said I was serious.

weird that people not asume it may get a form change or a interesting signature move or moveset to make it better.
Like Victiny with V-create and Searing shot, have a feeling it will out speed Victiny and get maybe a dark and grass signature move?

First Steven Universe, and now PPG?
next will be ? star butterfly? or Big 3 from My Hero Academia?

theoretically we had in Naruto 3 fighters in beginning of class ?

and even in One piece 3 counting Sanjii, Zorro and Luffy as first big 3.

Last edited:
Kinda seems like he just wants to make connections to pop culture, without considering context or legal issues.

You know that was a joke post, right?

hey we know what we don't know... still cool motives...

Kinda seems like he just wants to make connections to pop culture, without considering context or legal issues.

legal issues come one, if people overdue with that then they will lose fans and sells will fall...

but interesting would be to get starter pokemon based on aztec warrior, egiptian god, norse viking, roman centurion/gladiator,
celtic druid(grass), witcher(grass), paladin, arabian assasin

and other motives ... now I imagine a ghost horse sammurai with upper body made out of fire armor.

legal issues come one, if people overdue with that then they will lose fans and sells will fall...
Nintendo and Disney are somewhat infamous for suing people yet they haven't seen a drastic drop in sales or fans in response. I don't think a company suing Pokemon over using their character's likeness without their permission will lose sales and fans.

hey we know what we don't know... still cool motives...
Okay, so let's imagine this scenario.

• At some point, someone on the Pokemon design team watches Steven Universe and sees these costumes, and decides to use them to base the Pokemon on.
    • Do they see all three of them at once, or do they see one before the others air? Because if it's the latter, we have to imagine that they decided to start designing one starter before the other. If it's the former, we have to imagine that they started work on the starter Pokemon on September 17, 2015 at the earliest. That means only a year and two months to finish the designs and have them ready for release, and the anime (releasing at the same time) is also on hold until then, because they're involving the starter Pokemon in the first episode.
  • They choose these costumes... for whatever unknown reason. The tiger millionaire costume is notable in the story, and you could make a case for the blue and pink costume being a popular one. But the falcon costume isn't popular, and it doesn't appear often in the show. It appeared for about 5 minutes in one episode. At the time of its debut, Steven Universe had 46 episodes- at 10 minutes each, that's 460 minutes of Steven Universe. That means that the falcon costume appeared for about 1.1% of the show. By the time the blue costume appeared, Steven Universe was up to 69 episodes, 690 minutes, and the falcon costume was around for 0.7% of it. But they chose to use it for some reason.
  • The idea to base the starters off these costumes is brought up to the team. Pokemon, the same company that has kept Kadabra out of the TCG since 2003 because of Uri Geller's lawsuit, decides that, yes, they'll directly base their starters on another franchise and hope no issues come up from it.
  • The falcon costume is given the Grass and Ghost types, given archery, and changed into an owl instead of a falcon.
    • Just to reiterate: Even though they wanted to base these on the costumes Steven wore, and the only feature about his costume was that it was a falcon, they.... didn't base it on a falcon at all.
  • The tiger millionaire costume is given the Fire type, and they take away the millionaire gimmick, instead turning him into a heel wrestler. (But they started with Tiger Millionaire, not Tiger Mask, who has way more connections to Incineroar?)
  • The light blue costume decorated with pink is made into a sea lion and associated with sirens.

Even if we can't deny this with 100% certainty, I think most people would agree that this would be ridiculous. It makes no sense to think that they started with the costumes when other inspirations are so much stronger in the designs.
Look at the Amazing World of Gumball. Their work was plagiarized, and they made a parody episode mocking them. Nobody got mad at them about it, because it's an understandable response to having your work used without permission. So if Pokemon really was taking ideas from other franchises without permission, it's pretty clear that audiences would be biased against Pokemon, the group actually taking intellectual property, and not the people suing, who are just defending their work.

but interesting would be to get starter pokemon based on aztec warrior, egiptian god, norse viking, roman centurion/gladiator,
celtic druid(grass), witcher(grass), paladin, arabian assasin

and other motives ... now I imagine a ghost horse sammurai with upper body made out of fire armor.
This is not related to the thread at all.

We got a lot of cool water types in this generation like Sobble's evo line and the Arrokuda line, although I'm a little bit mad that we didn't get a dolphin Pokemon even though we're more than 20 years into the franchise (no Lanturn doesn't count so don't try it).

the proportions of special and physical attackers in this generation is interesting.
Also this generations when comes to tanks, sweepers and walls is intryguing taking abilities into account too.

signature moves...

maybe one will be a priority fighting type multistrike move like first impression or water shuriken,

and the other will be a One hit KO move that works in the first turn always?

taking water/fighting maybe will learn water shuriken and the other dark fighting Beat up?

"the very embodiment of rage" and "a divine emissary that banishes evil spirits with its fury."
fighting/dark yes strong against ghost...

the Unseen fist maybe allow it to hit other pokemon like Long reach does? still a mystery here.
________
A dark/ghost legendary?

What would I give for a steel/flying golden goose pokemon with pay day, eggbomb and cool abilities like steam engine, motor drive or a new gimmick.

Gen 1 Ditto, gen 3 Schedinja, gen 5 Zoroark, gen 7 Mimikyu, gen 8 Eiscue, notable abilities of each gen

Last edited:
Still disappointed we didn't get a Pokemon based on Black Shuck. Maybe it could've been Fairy/Ghost or Dark/Ghost?
This Pokemon prowls deserted country roads at night. They are said to appear without warning and disappear just as quickly. Some say it is a guardian spirit. Others say it is a harbinger of doom.
Instant favourite.

We got a lot of cool water types in this generation like Sobble's evo line and the Arrokuda line, although I'm a little bit mad that we didn't get a dolphin Pokemon even though we're more than 20 years into the franchise (no Lanturn doesn't count so don't try it).
Still waiting for more whales and sharks too.

On the topic of Black Shuck: It makes me think of the cadejos, a dog/wolf spirit from my country, although it tended to attack the opposite people than black shuck (namely drunks).

There's also a variation of the story that mentions two versions: the black cadejos, that attacks drunks in the middle of the night, and the white cadejos, that helps rightful people find their way if they are lost in the middle of the night.

someone saw the bat like south american god, death bat, the new godzilla movie creature?

we have a dragon bat, psychic bat, ghost bat, pschic bat....

a dark/fairy vampire,strigoi bat would be cool. with better draining physial signature drain bite move? and a Siphoner ability to steeal any hp that oponent gains, reverse their draning move damage and gain the healing and boost own draining and healing moves???

hoped for galarian Houndoom ghost/fire with persih body here to not repeat
Alolan Marowak with Cursed Body ... would give insomania for early bird and leave flash fire and make it a physical attacker...

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom