• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pokemon Home

I'm scared and i don't want to regret it, this is so much pressure lol

I'm scared and i don't want to regret it, this is so much pressure lol

Well, transferring has always been a one-way ticket, except for in the first two generations. Though the added wrinkle now is that Sword and Shield cannot (currently) host every species of Pokémon - only a select 435 species (with more to be patched in throughout the year, hopefully leading to full support of all 890+ species eventually). I think it really depends on how you play and how you relate to your Pokémon sentimentally, as well as whether you're willing to pay the upkeep cost for a premium HOME subscription with high storage capacity.

I must say that seeing your old friends back in a graphically stronger game, whether it's camping or battling, is definitely a treat.

And that's why I dont like Home in the context of Dexit. The service punishes people who are sentiment for their Pokemon that Game Freak didnt want to add to Sword and Shield or a potential future game with fees and their Pokemon being trapped for an indeterminate amount of time.

And that's why I dont like Home in the context of Dexit. The service punishes people who are sentiment for their Pokemon that Game Freak didnt want to add to Sword and Shield or a potential future game with fees and their Pokemon being trapped for an indeterminate amount of time.
It doesn't punish you necessarily; plenty of warnings are given.

If you're savvy enough to figure out how to use the app (it's not exactly kid-friendly), you'll also be savvy enough to know about the rules of transfer.

I have to admit, the GTS has improved slightly. You can see the Nature and Ability of the Pokémon you're trading for now. I've been able to get a decent amount of Adamant No Guard Golett via the GTS; it's no longer a crapshoot like it was a Generation or two ago. So that's good.

People still want ridiculous trades, though. No, I am not trading a Poipole for a Modest Klutz Golett! Even I'm not that insane! (And trust me, I am crazy for Golett...)

Well, if you're like me and never use HOME on a phone, I have to put up with people trying to give me shiny Pokemon rather than the Pokemon I'm trying to get. If only the GTS feature was available to HOME on the Switch, then I could get more trades done. I just don't care about getting shiny Pokemon from others, I just want to complete my Pokedex.

It's also why I'm waiting to see if they add mini-games that involve your Pokémon in the Home app before I consider buying it. If we can't have something to make up for Dexit, then I don't see any reason for me to put my Pokémon in a potentially indefinite storage. Whether or not this can be accomplished within an update to the current app or even just free auxiliary apps that are compatible with Pokémon Home is another question, but I think that we should definitely get something that makes it feel like your stored Pokémon are "very active" in Home.

Last edited:
Hello! I'd have a question regarding the functions of the apps on Switch and mobile phones.
If I'd have access to both games Sword & Shield, one Switch console as well as a phone, is there a way to actually trade between the two games through the app somehow? Would it work with a free version of the app? Or is it only possible with two Switch consoles?

If you have both copies of the game you can use just the app on the console to transfer from one game to the other - as the save files are on the console not the game cards it's much easier than Bank for that too, just open the app, choose which game to move from, pull the mons you want into Home, go back to game select, choose the other game then move from home to game.

If you have both copies of the game you can use just the app on the console to transfer from one game to the other - as the save files are on the console not the game cards it's much easier than Bank for that too, just open the app, choose which game to move from, pull the mons you want into Home, go back to game select, choose the other game then move from home to game.
Oh, so do the save files then need to be by the same user account? And would I need to be at a certain point in the game before I can put for example the starter Pokémon from Sword to Shield? I played through Shield before not really thinking of that I'd later get Sword and got every but the 39 exclusive Pokémon.

Home is connected to your Nintendo ID - I've used it a cross 4 games (Sword, Shield, Let's Go Pikachu, Let's Go Eevee), across two Switches but always on my Nintendo ID profile.

If I was you I'd just download the Switch app and see how it works, it's free to do so, so it's not like you lose anything doing so.

Edit: I think you need to get to the point of having the Pokédex to be able to transfer to/from Home, not 100% sure but that's the normal requirement in Pokémon games for transfers and trades)

Oh, so do the save files then need to be by the same user account?
No. I have used HOME for two Sword save files used by different user accounts. You have to log into the app with the account you set it up with, and then switch to your second account within the app. You'll deposit the Pokemon into the same box.
And would I need to be at a certain point in the game before I can put for example the starter Pokémon from Sword to Shield?
I don't think so, but I am not certain.

Ah, okay. I'll try and see once I have made some space on my SD card. Just got a second one and still try to look into how to separate my data best.

One thing would be very nice: to be able to transfer your Home Pokemon from one Switch account to another, in the same system (even if you have to pay for the premium services in both accounts). I already transferred a lot of my Mons from previous generations into my main Switch account, but I'd like to be able to transfer some of those to another account for a new playthrough. I don't want to invest more money on getting another Switch just to trade with myself. I did that on the 3DS but only because I started with the rigid 2DS console and I upgraded to one of the latest 3DS (far bigger screen, better overall perfornance, it clamps so it protects the screen better). Plus I got it used and at a reasonable price. And I still have my 2DS as a spare and for trading.

But another Switch is kind of impossible for me at the moment, given my current money situation. I might add an used Switch Lite in a future, but I might not.

One thing would be very nice: to be able to transfer your Home Pokemon from one Switch account to another, in the same system
Actually, this is possible. When you are in the menu that asks you to select a game, just tap on the bar above the games that shows your user profile and name. That will allow you to switch to another account, enabling you to access any save files made using that account. You will deposit all Pokemon into the same box(es) used by the main account you set up HOME with.

Last edited:
Actually, this is possible. When you are in the menu that asks you to select a game, just tap on the bar above the games that shows your user profile and name. That will allow you to switch to another account, enabling you to access any save files made using that account. You will deposit all Pokemon into the same box(es) used by the main account you set up HOME with.

Really? I thought it just switched between accounts. I'll try that. Thanks!

hey, i have a question, i decided to cancel my pokemon home plan and put the pokemon i wanted to keep in the first box, when the plan was not renewed, the pokemon that appeared were random and not the ones in the first box, my doubt is how to know which will remain in the basic box, thanks

So as I have been futilely trying to enter HOME in an attempt to get my Mystery Gift Zeraora (foolish, I know, but I also rely heavily on the Wonder Box for good breedjects so and I need to check it, so...) I thought of something regarding Mystery Gift distribution.

Do you guys think that HOME will become the main method through which Mystery Gift distributions are done through from now on? I know Pokemon Pass is still fairly recent and has done some events, however, I feel it would really stream-line things if HOME was retooled so that it could also function as a way to accept events.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom