• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Random Messages 16: This Thread Is A Cursed Mall Area with Tables

What is your favorite curse?

• Total voters
Talking about Star Trek I've been working through re-watching all the Star Trek movies in order for the last week and a half, watched Nemesis last night and just have the 3 Kelvin Timeline movies left now.
I don't watch anything Kelvin timeline related... Or the latest two shows... but it's always fun to watch the original movies I always point to First Contact as the way movies should be made.

I don't watch anything Kelvin timeline related... Or the latest two shows... but it's always fun to watch the original movies I always point to First Contact as the way movies should be made.
I don't mind the Kelvin movies so much as they're in a different universe but I have no interest in the new shows either as I don't think they are Star Trek shows, the last true Star Trek show was Enterprise.

Yeah First Contact was a great movie, The Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country are great movies too.

Last edited:
F-- to you wanting to get rid of the best enterprise! Compared to the oil tankers in space.
The best Enterprises are, and will always be, the original NCC-1701 retrofit (Star Trek I - Star Trek III), and the NCC-1701E. Odd that the movie Enterprises are the best Enterprises, but that’s just how it goes, I suppose.

I don't mind the Kelvin movies so much as they're in a different universe but I have no interest in the new shows either as I don't think they are Star Trek shows, the last true Star Trek show was Enterprise.

Yeah First Contact was a great movie, The Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Contry are great movies too.
I got about...5 episodes, I think... into Discovery and really hated it. I can't even touch Picard, but I've heard bad things about it.

The best Enterprises are, and will always be, the original NCC-1701 retrofit (Star Trek I - Star Trek III), and the NCC-1701E. Odd that the movie Enterprises are the best Enterprises, but that’s just how it goes, I suppose.
One out of two, I guess. The E is a good ship.

See, I can understand why you feel that way about the Constitution class from the TV series, but the retrofit is much sleeker.
I will grant that it's better... But compare it to the E, the Defiant, Voyager and NX-01. It's still quite bulky and not quite as streamlined as the other ships. Not as bad as the Galaxy though.

In the real world, I'm assuming the bulkiness of the original and the Galaxy has to do with the technical limitations of the time or something, but in-universe... Come on Starfleet... reassign their designers to waste disposal!

I will grant that it's better... But compare it to the E, the Defiant, Voyager and NX-01. It's still quite bulky and not quite as streamlined as the other ships. Not as bad as the Galaxy though.
It’s not supposed to be. There were supposed to be technical limitations that got surpassed sometime between the Kirk era and the Picard era. It’s a very well designed ship for its era, and one of the better designed Starfleet ships in general.

In the real world, I'm assuming the bulkiness of the original and the Galaxy has to do with the technical limitations of the time or something, but in-universe... Come on Starfleet... reassign their designers to waste disposal!
For the Galaxy class ships, I think you’re forgetting. Galaxy class ships are designed for exploration, not war. They’re also designed to take along family and civilians. Starfleet is not a military organization. The MACOs from Enterprise were military, but Starfleet’s primary goal is peaceful exploration and scientific discovery. As such, the Galaxy class is going to be a little bulky and look a little clunky. That’s why, when the Federation needed a more streamlined and military ship, they came up with the Defiant class and the Sovereign class. Both of those ships were designed with war in mind.

It’s not supposed to be. There were supposed to be technical limitations that got surpassed sometime between the Kirk era and the Picard era. It’s a very well designed ship for its era, and one of the better designed Starfleet ships in general..
I just do not agree. I really do not like either of those ships

For the Galaxy class ships, I think you’re forgetting. Galaxy class ships are designed for exploration, not war. They’re also designed to take along family and civilians. Starfleet is not a military organization. The MACOs from Enterprise were military, but Starfleet’s primary goal is peaceful exploration and scientific discovery. As such, the Galaxy class is going to be a little bulky and look a little clunky. That’s why, when the Federation needed a more streamlined and military ship, they came up with the Defiant class and the Sovereign class. Both of those ships were designed with war in mind.
The intrepid class wasn't designed for war either. Sure, it can kick behind if it needs to, but it's a long-range science and exploration vessel... And it's beautiful. It's sleek, It's elegant, it's the complete opposite of the Galaxy Class..

There's also the nova class, which is a short-range science vessel. And I would argue the Steam Runner class, but you'd probably say its a warship... So okay.

Also worth pointing out is that officially, the Enterprise E was a ship of exploration too. To quote Major Kira, Starfleet "doesn't believe in warships"... and I believe the Defiant was one exception to that rule. The E was even seen performing exploration mission functions in... Was it Nemesis?

I just do not agree. I really do not like either of those ships
I mean, at the end of the day, then, it's just a matter of preference. I can't argue with that.

The intrepid class wasn't designed for war either. Sure, it can kick behind if it needs to, but it's a long-range science and exploration vessel... And it's beautiful. It's sleek, It's elegant, it's the complete opposite of the Galaxy Class..

There's also the nova class, which is a short-range science vessel. And I would argue the Steam Runner class, but you'd probably say its a warship... So okay.

Also worth pointing out is that officially, the Enterprise E was a ship of exploration too. To quote Major Kira, Starfleet "doesn't believe in warships"... and I believe the Defiant was one exception to that rule. The E was even seen performing exploration mission functions in... Was it Nemesis?
1. The Intrepid class was also a) designed much later than the Galaxy class, so, again, technological advantages were made, and b) was also not meant to transport Starfleet officers and their families.
2. Not familiar with the Nova class. Which series did it come up in? I am familiar with the Steam Runner class, and that's definitely a warship. It's tricobalt torpedoes are excellent at taking out base defenses in the Star Trek Armada games, as an aside.
3. Yes, the Sovereign class ship had exploration and scientific functions to it, as well, but when it was designed, the primary concern was for it to be a ship that would be useful in conflict. As Kira says, Starfleet doesn't believe in warships, and, to design a massive battleship like the Sovereign class, and then have to scrap it as soon as the conflict was over because it's now useless, would be a massive waste of materials and design time. As such, even though they designed the class to be combat worthy, they also had in mind the fact that, at some point, they would return to their primary function of peaceful space exploration and scientific discovery.

Back
Top Bottom